Hello Guest

Author Topic: 05 Raptor toy hauler  (Read 57669 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
05 Raptor toy hauler
« on: May 18, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Just thought I would show off my latest acquisition. I had plans for a toy hauler in the future, but ran across this one at a price I couldn't turn down. The 12' garage is 3" too short for my ranger crew, and the queen loft at the front of the garage needs to be raised 3" to clear the roof, but should be worth the mods.
It's 38' with 2 slides, w/15,800 gvw and 11,500 empty:

...arriving home:

extra pics:

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 05 Raptor toy hauler
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
This is the bottom of the loft that will come under the knife:

..and the inside view of the loft :

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:21:11 AM »
Looks great.

Would it be easier to just make a folding bumper (like my sami needs) and smaller tires just to make it simple?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:54:13 AM »
Man, those things are made out of cardboard. (I have a big 5er and am amazed at the flimsy construction) How do you plan to mod it to fit?  I'd rather chop the top on the Ranger....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »
That thing is Huge!

How about some interior shots??
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
JR, that was my first thought. It only has a front bumper, and it's integrated in a way that would require more work than I would like. My first task will be raising the loft. I can take the bed off the ranger with 2 bolts, that I can replace with pins. I can weld a new extended door frame at a later date....like thin gauge 2x8 steel....to the back, that way if I change toys (think RZR 1000) it will even fit. The tire option ran through my peabrain, but I even tried flattening the tires and it only dropped about 2" which still makes it 1" too tall just to fit under, let alone all the bouncing around on a rough road.

Tex's idea of chopping the roll bar was also considered....more work than raising the loft. It, like the walls, is aluminum, and I have a spool gun and a fire extinguisher . The key is making it look factory in case I trade this up for something grander someday.
And yes Mr Tex, I have seen your Taj-majal. That thing is a beast!! (but not in Ken's budget) lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:31:29 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
Interior. I'm past the whole oak look, but again, for the price......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:36:29 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
I don't have any yet of the slides extended...but the full living room and the master bed extend..typical of a dual slide:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
there was almost a time I bought a new one of those and decided to live out of it.

they are nice.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Definitely a nice unit.
Plan carefully, is all I can say. I tore out part of a bunkhouse (4 beds) and added storage.
Nothing was easy.

But what you're after, be careful, and plan ahead.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
Ken that thing is fine. Instead of parting with it, park it at your selected hide site and build it in!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:38:23 PM »
Put a standard size toilet in there. I am looking at the Aria myself. Full height, standard enlongated seat and mostly china.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »
JR, that was my first thought. It only has a front bumper, and it's integrated in a way that would require more work than I would like. My first task will be raising the loft. I can take the bed off the ranger with 2 bolts, that I can replace with pins. I can weld a new extended door frame at a later date....like thin gauge 2x8 steel....to the back, that way if I change toys (think RZR 1000) it will even fit. The tire option ran through my peabrain, but I even tried flattening the tires and it only dropped about 2" which still makes it 1" too tall just to fit under, let alone all the bouncing around on a rough road.

Tex's idea of chopping the roll bar was also considered....more work than raising the loft. It, like the walls, is aluminum, and I have a spool gun and a fire extinguisher . The key is making it look factory in case I trade this up for something grander someday.
And yes Mr Tex, I have seen your Taj-majal. That thing is a beast!! (but not in Ken's budget) lol

I've seen your work.  I have faith in you.

MY 5er?  You mean my wife's 5er that she has me tow around for her?  Yeah, its a moose but the only way I can get her outdoors. 

You did it the smart way.  Let someone else take the depreciation hit and then buy it.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
I got started on raising the loft yesterday. After 2 hours of measuring, it was decided that only half needed to be raised, 31-1/2" wide to be exact, which would still allow a 30" bed upstairs. The raised portion will be for storage, and 5" higher than before.
....also was done in a way not to disturb the tv cabinet in the garage and the oak cabinet up in the loft.
The following was a full days work with my brothers (2) helping...
First we removed the overhead cabinets, outlets, fan, and light switches:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
Then the panel from under the section, then the panel from above. Note: they actually brad nail and glue the panels to the aluminum tubing. I didn't even know that was possible!!:

...then the outer support:

...with the side support removed:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
We cut 5" off the bottom of the support "wall" and flipped the piece over, cut the horizontal bars out, welded them together, and reinstalled. This saved me from purchasing any tubing:

It was a bit tough to keep from burning down the trailer, but we managed:

The outer wall was hung with care, screwed, glued, and tattooed.
Actually, I didn't glue it:

And that was the end of the day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:29:26 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
Interesting!

You have me wondering about that factory assembly technique. Nailing into aluminum???

What do you think about that?

Did it look like it was an accepted technique, or something done to save time?

I have an aluminum structure in my camper...

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
I think that without the liquid nails, it would not hold, and in places where the glue failed (there are many places, and they didn't use a thick enough bead), some of the little brads just pulled right out without any force. It seems as though the serrations on the brads had/have insufficient holding ability....kinda makes me wonder about taking a trailer like this down a rough dirt road, and I plan on doing that quite often.
Side note: the brads I am using have better serrations, and I'm not being shy with the liquid nails.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »
Today I started trimming it out, reusing most of the original paneling since it will be painted eventually:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
This trailer didn't come with a generator, but does have the prep for it. I have an extra a/c unit that will be added above the bedroom (it's prewired) because I plan on staying married, if you catch my drift.....so....,
This "happened" sometime last week. I found it on CL, and the price seemed to good to be true, and it probably was........once home, I noticed a bunch of oil carbon in the exhaust, and the plugs are oil fouled.
But...it was overfilled by more than a qt. of oil....so they were either adding too much oil because it burns so much, or they just didn't know any better and the over abundance of oil is causing the oil consumption....

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:57:26 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
The intake is a 2 piece aluminum design, silicone and riveted together. Kinda weird if you ask me. Since I've had some time on the spool gun as of late, I went ahead and welded it up, split it apart, cleaned and layed on some fresh sillycone, then riveted it back together. Tomorrow I will see if it runs and smokes, or runs and doesn't smoke, or doesn't run and doesn't smoke.
This is after welding (it broke about 2 inches from the carb mount flange).

....after drilling out rivets:

...clean up:

...and back together:

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
Interesting!

You have me wondering about that factory assembly technique. Nailing into aluminum???

What do you think about that?

Did it look like it was an accepted technique, or something done to save time?

I have an aluminum structure in my camper...

The brads are used to hold it in place while the glue dries. That is a pretty common practice.

Ken,
 That looks good. I help a friend work on these things on my days off, it's his business. They are pretty fragile units as a whole. The lightest cheapest materials are used typically for obvious reasons. I do think the builders get paid per screw or staple they install.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
7K gen is a biggin'

Too bad you didn't score a 3-4K oil burner...

I am always looking for those things. I feel if I don't have 2-3 generators laying around I am ill-prepared.

Good job on the refinish so far. It will look factory by the time you get finished

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »
....... I do think the builders get paid per screw or staple they install.

Haha...I think you're right! I finally took a grinder with a cut off wheel to them after trying to pull them out with dikes.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
7K gen is a biggin'

I am always looking for those things. I feel if I don't have 2-3 generators laying around I am ill-prepared.

Good job on the refinish so far. It will look factory by the time you get finished

Thanks.
Yeah, 7k should run both a/c's on high, and still cook a turkey in the microwave while she blow dries her hair while watching American idol on an 80 inch plasma.
I need to stick with gas in the fueling station so that the Ranger can sip from the same cup.
....but I may need a bigger tank than the current 20 gal!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
7K gen is a biggin'

Thanks.
Yeah, 7k should run both a/c's on high, and still cook a turkey in the microwave while she blow dries her hair while watching American idol on an 80 inch plasma.
I need to stick with gas in the fueling station so that the Ranger can sip from the same cup.
....but I may need a bigger tank than the current 20 gal!

You sound like you are talking about my wife....and her idea of roughing it...

Nice work Ken.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
I think Don must have some sort of psychic powers, because he mentioned something about wishing I had bought an oil burner, or something along those lines. Well rest easy Big D....I have an oil burning son of a gun. Matter of fact, it's a dual fuel unit, burning both gasoline, and oil, at about the same rate!
I knew it was too good to be true. I'll rebuild it here shortly....in too deep to buy a different one.

That was a bit depressing, so I went on down the list and checked off #28 on my tale board....installing a second roof air. This one came off of my tent trailer and has less than 10 hrs on it:

...and yes, I plan on recoating the roof shortly, after fixing all of the vents.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
Did a bit more trim work in the garage:

..and made sure the ranger fit. Myself and my brother jerked on it as hard as we could side to side to make sure there wouldn't be any interference on the sides and the roof:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:14:41 PM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:17 AM »
Very nice work. Did you thing about using trim screws vs brads on the reassembly?

To bad about the gen, maybe the rings are just fouled, let it run a little.

That roof will need addressing soon. Looks like mine, 10 years old.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
Good work ken!

Even if you have to pull that gen engine down, it's not a big deal to re-ring it
But could be a PSV valve malfunction or failed seal or something simple

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Very nice work. Did you thing about using trim screws vs brads on the reassembly?

To bad about the gen, maybe the rings are just fouled, let it run a little.

That roof will need addressing soon. Looks like mine, 10 years old.
[/quote]
Good work ken!

Even if you have to pull that gen engine down, it's not a big deal to re-ring it
But could be a PSV valve malfunction or failed seal or something simple

Thanks guys
JR, I did think about screws, but I'm trying to make it look original, in case I ever sale this thing. As long as the liquid nails hold, I shouldn't ever have an issue.
As far as the roof. it looks worse than it is. I cleaned where the a/c goes, and it was barely starting to weather crack. Regardless, I have 8 gallons of high dollar EPDM coating coming, and once I replace the vents, it will get coated.

I ran that gen for close to 2 hrs before I pulled the muffler and ran it another hour. I was running a strong mix of fuel and seafoam. I then wired it into the trailer and that's when it started bellowing, under full load. I need to read the plugs, but at this point it's laying in the dirt where I pushed it off of the forklift. I lost my cool that day.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
Sounds like you covered all the base's.

Seafoam does wonders and would have freed those rings up for sure.

At least its out. Do a comp test and check the carb.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:36:09 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
Anyone have some det cord they can let Ken borrow?  That'll fix it.

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks guys
JR, I did think about screws, but I'm trying to make it look original, in case I ever sale this thing. As long as the liquid nails hold, I shouldn't ever have an issue.
As far as the roof. it looks worse than it is. I cleaned where the a/c goes, and it was barely starting to weather crack. Regardless, I have 8 gallons of high dollar EPDM coating coming, and once I replace the vents, it will get coated.

[/quote]

Make sure you write up the roof re-coat, I plan on doing mine this year and would love to see  how a "REAL MAN" does it. Long story short I had a buddy pay an RV dealer here $500 to re coat his roof and it already peeling up. Dealer has pushed back on repairing it because they said there must be some sort of coating on the original roof that wont allow it to stick... pure BS.. he bought that thing new in 2008 and hasn't even been on the roof... from this same dealer....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
I'll try to take pics,  but doing it in 105+ temps, I probably won't be in a good mood.
It will fit under my shop awning but I would have to be less than a foot tall to make it work. lol

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
I've been jumping around my list like some skitzo, but we had a weird june storm roll through, and I thought it might be a good time to start on the roof. The normal temps would be 100+, but it's cloudy with highs in the lower 90's. The rubber roofs or nothing more than a sheet of about 1/8" black rubber, with the outer half being white (not sure how that's done). The outer white layer gets chalky and dirt embeds into it.
After it rained off and on for a day, I thought that it would be easier to scrub, so I jumped up there with a brush and some tide and managed to clean a spot about 4' square before my arms started burning.

Fast forward to Saturday and I realized that I had some tools that the average guy may not have....an 18k capacity forklift, and a fairly new hot pressure washer.
Here's the dirt:

..where I started scrubbing it:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »
...the master plan. A large forklift. check.
                  A few scaffold planks. check.
      Super duper pressure washer. check.
An idiot with a death wish. Double check.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »
I am down to see the end result of this!!!!!!!!!!!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
The dirt came off quickly enough, but there was a layer of pink colored "chalk" directly under the grime. I found that if I was careful, I could literally cut that layer off, with the boiling water, down to the virgin rubber. I also found, that if I moved to slow, that the virgin rubber would be sliced like butter, with the boiling water.:(
The perfect combination resulted in me being on that roof for about 3 hours....but the payoff was ending up with a pure white, like new, rubber roof, albeit half as thick and twice as porous as what came on the trailer when new.

In this pic, up by the far a/c, you can see dark spots to the left...that is the pink layer that was eventually removed:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 09:50:59 PM »
I am down to see the end result of this!!!!!!!!!!!
Me as well my friend.
I was supposed to work on it today, but my body said otherwise.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »

...and the final result:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
I figured with hot boiling water made with a gasoline powered motor on a platform 15 feet off the ground being held up by a forklift there would have been a "don't try this at home kids" moment........;D

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:34 PM »
that is a nice clean white roof right there.  now you just have to re-coat it.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »
I took the queen mattress, from the garage loft, home to go under the knife. It was cut into 2 equal sizes, each 30 inches wide. I guess that's the standard size of a traditional cot, and also in big rigs' sleeping quarters. A virtual trip to Amazon and I found these...cot size zip up mattress covers, and quilted covers.
The mattresses will fit side by side on the now uneven loft bed for 2 people to sleep, or doubled up to make one person comfy:

hmmm, Don must have taken that one for me..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
I figured with hot boiling water made with a gasoline powered motor on a platform 15 feet off the ground being held up by a forklift there would have been a "don't try this at home kids" moment........;D
Yeah, well that sucker liked to bleed off. I was really getting into my work, and about a half hour later I noticed the forks only 4" away from the roof, down from the 2 feet I started with. That was a pucker moment...should've seen me scamper down that ladder! lol

I have 8 gallons of some high dollar coating just waitin' on me, but I still have to replace all the little round vents, and redo the silicone around the perimeter....and fix the ladder mounts, and.......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
...foam cut in half:

One new bed, another on the way:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
That forklift thing had all the makin's of a good tale

Story when the results don't end up in an emergency and involve the VFD...Tale when it pushes ahead and involves some of the earlier elements

Ken, not silicone...check it out that PVC rubber composite does not work with silicone. I have tubes of the stuff you need, but can't recall just now what it is.

Results are spectacular...You bought that roof a few more years!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:29 PM »
Roof looks amazing now!
Don is right about the other product. I too can't recall what it is.

I was expecting  a 'tale' to arise from the castastrophe brewin.
Glad there isn't one at the same time.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »
Roger on the silicone. I used that word loosely, for sealants. I have the right sealant for the task, in this case made by Dicor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:23:07 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 08:24:39 AM »
That's the stuff...Dicor!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal