Hello Guest

Author Topic: 05 Raptor toy hauler  (Read 57656 times)

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 05 Raptor toy hauler
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2015, 12:55:01 AM »
Dicor has two sealants for that rubber roof. The self leveling for the flat stuff up on the roof works great. On the corners the non-sag is better. It stays in place on the vertical stuff better. A couple tubes should do down the sides and the corners. If you're resealing everything that's up there it'll prolly take a dozen or so tubes of self level. Put a couple heavy beads around everything that's sticking up and it will lay down real purty. That old sealant can be carved off of there with one of those oscillating tools. I dull the new blades on concrete for a second so they don't cut the roof so easily. Just light pressure not forcing it or it will slice the rubber. With some practice all the sealant could be stripped off in less than an hour with that tool.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:55:06 PM by rasimmo »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »
Decor has two sealants for that rubber roof. The self leveling for the flat stuff up on the roof works great. On the corners the non-sag is better. It stays in place on the vertical stuff better. A couple tubes should do down the sides and the corners. If you're revealing everything that's up there it,ll prolly take a dozen or so tubes of self level. Put a couple heavy beads around everything that's sticking up and it will lay down real purty. That old sealant can be carved off of there with one of those oscillating tools. I dull the new blades on concrete for a second so they don't cut the roof so easily. Just light pressure not forcing it or it will slice the rubber. With some practice all the sealant could be stripped off in less than an hour with that tool.
Interesting technique
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
Thanks rasimmo, that's what I purchased, 4 of each...leveling and not leveling.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
when you mention oscillating tools, do you refer to one of these?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
Those oscillating tools are awesome! I've been using the Dremel version it it works great. Both the cutting blades and the scraping blades.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
I have the one pictured, but never thought to use it on sealant.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
Just a little DOT... but i used the Dremel oscillator and the scraper blade to scrape heaps of old linoleum glue off of a plywood subfloor... like buttah
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
when you mention oscillating tools, do you refer to one of these?

yessir that's what I was talking about. Use one of the blades that have the offset in it that drops the blade part down 1/2" or so and has the squared off end like a scraper. You need to hold the blade parallel to the roof or it will dig in real easy. Like I said before, dulling it a little keeps it from cutting the roof so easy You can't do the gutters/side molding with it cause it will just cut the roof, but everything on top can be done. It's a whole lot easier than using one of those painter multitool scraper things of a flat scraper. You still need one to clean up a little bit though. Just take your time and be real careful, you can strip all the rubber off if you don't. When you hit the screw heads just pick up a little, slide over them, and let it walk back down. Me and my brother-in-law scraped everything and reapplied the Dicor in 45 minutes on a 26' travel trailer a couple weeks ago. We were trying to see how fast we could do it.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Clever post.

Good use for a relatively newer tool

I would have never thought about that, or dulling the blade some to prevent over zealous rubber removal

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
I should've dulled the razor sharp automotive gasket scraper I was using. :(

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »
Glad I could contribute something useful. I hope yall don't expect that too often. I might not have many left.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
You don't have to post anything else that may be considered useful, just show up in AZ and do this roof for me and we'll call it even. haha

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
If you weren't so far from Southeast Louisiana I would. We do a bunch of reseals. We remove and replace the sealant around everything. We do not coat the roofs though. If the rubber gets all cracked up or starts showing the black through the top we just change it out. I aint saying the sealers are bad, just never used them. I will be interested to see your thoughts on it. I got 2 5th wheels to replace the roof on when I get home from work. One ran under a low limb and tore up a little which should be simple. The other has a little rot to repair once I get it stripped. My brother-in-law does mobile repairs for the majority of his business. I take care of most of the shop work on my days off from my real job. We both make good money with this arrangement and my poor wife does not have to put up with me for the whole 7 days I'm off.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 03:43:32 PM »
Been working on customer cars lately, since summer is my busy season, so not much time for working on the rv except for the weekends.
The oscillator worked well, but the small battery had a short life. I would do one vent, put it on the charger while resealing, and on and on.
First I replaced the plastic sewer pipe vents with metal ones:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
...some butyl tape:

...new vent:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »
There were 3 of those vents. Next I replaced the crank up vent covers, fan blades, and new rubber seals. I went this route, instead of replacing the entire fixture(s), for a couple reasons; #1, the sealant was in pretty decent shape...no sense in breaking the factory seal and take the chance of ken doing something inferior, #2, you can purchase "unbreakable" lids from ventline, but not sure if you can purchase them installed as a unit, and #3, pure laziness....it's less work to just rebuild them.
Here's the lids, seals, and blades:

...well, didn't take pics of the new vents, nor the sealing job with the Dicor....hmm.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
Here's a shot of the old seal, that the lid closes against:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
Decided to throw some of these vent covers on, before coating the roof. The brackets mount with a few of the vent-to-roof mounting screws, so they had to be sealed. The covers will protect the lids from uv's, keep rain out, and allows you to leave the vents open with little fear of wind ripping the lids off...I went with smoke colored, because I don't want extra light....we have enough around these parts:

This is before I trimmed the sealant to allow the brackets to sit flush:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
Found a pic of the vents, and the new skylight for the shower. The old one was cracked and leaking. It was also white, and with the shower located in the bedroom it allowed way too much light in for my taste:

...and no pics of the install.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
Yesterday I buttoned everything up, wire brushed some areas, and prepped for the coating.
Here's what I went with. It is one of only a couple products specifically made for EPDM (rubber) roofs. It is basically the same chemical makeup, and actually "melts" into the existing material. It is messy, NOT water soluble, and takes several days to dry (it is actually waterproof the moment it's installed tho).
Dicor makes a great product from what I've read, but it uses a primer (which tells me it doesn't "melt" into the roof) and takes multiple coats to attain the desired thickness.
This stuff, Liquid Roof, goes on in one coat, 20-30 mils, and is so thick, you have to use a squeegee to spread it. Then a roller to lightly smooth it over, then it self levels.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
I miscalculated, probably because I'm not some educated pilot type, and figured 8 gallons would be good for 30 mils, on 36 linear feet of roof.....and I was wrong. I measured out the roof and marked it every 3.75 linear feet, which would be about 1 gallon per 30 square feet, which would be 30 mils, which would take about 10 gallons, which I didn't have...so I went 1 gallon per 4.5 feet and barely had enough but gave me a 20 mil layer.

If the roof had been in worse shape (black showing) I would've waited and ordered some more.
...fyi for those who don't know, EPDM rubber is basically 2 layers, bottom half black, upper half white. The roof loses layers of white to uv, turning to chalk. The roof is presumed to be good until black starts showing through.
I wanted a good layer to protect what was left of what would be considered a decent roof.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
The finished product, and the only time I had to take pics.....when it was done:

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
Looks like it turned out fantastic!
Levelled of nice by the looks of things too.
Squeegee and roller huh, that is thick.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
great job ken.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Don't have to be some pilot type to do a great job. Man that looks super!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I am pretty happy with it, but time in the az sun will be the true judge.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »
You need to build a cover for that thing to keep the sun off that good looking roof. Unless a person lives in one full time, they spend a lot more time idle than being used.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
Hey Ken-

How level does the trailer need to be?  My drive is sloped enough that it'd be difficult to get it perfect.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
You need to build a cover for that thing to keep the sun off that good looking roof. Unless a person lives in one full time, they spend a lot more time idle than being used.
Yeah Bob....just add it to the list of things to do! You're not my wife in disquise, are you? :)
Actually a good freind and neighbor of mine said I could use his shade......so when it's not being used or worked on, it will be covered.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Mike, the front of the rv has a pretty good slope, above the bedroom, and it was fine. The problem was over the edges, where the top curves to 90* on the sides. While I was pushing the molasses toward the edge, my brother, on a ladder, was pulling it down with a fine nap roller. He would work it to a thin layer at a time to build it up (probably less than 20 mils), doing a 4' section or so, then returning to "push" up any sags as we went along. I will say this, I would never have been able to that job (right) without another person.....just impossible in hot weather....and once you start, you can't stop.
..and 3 people would have been even better.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:57:50 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Excellent work Ken, looks great
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
Thank you Kyle.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
That roof looks great. I was looking at the same coating at the local ACE and you just made up my mind!

I replaced 1 of those vents last year and the other is broken to. I put a little better fan on mine, but it is mine so upgrade was warranted.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
jr, you never answered us on the outcome of your repair job of your campers roof.

how did it turn out?

any leaks?

etc?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
I have not finished it, just had it covered and had not had time with other things coming up.

I just placed a fill patch over the repaired area and need to seal that, then will place another patch over that that wraps under the trim. Having a repair vinyl panel made up for the inside right now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
Roof looks great. How long did it take to apply?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
From the time I started mixing, it took 2 guys about 2.5 hours, with a 10 minute break half way through. If I had to do it again, maybe less than 2 hours, just cuz this time it took me a bit to figure out how to get the proper thickness.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
Been doing a few things before work every day this week. Temps have been pretty brutal in the evenings, but a.m. is tolerable. I finished reinstalling the forward a/c, tinted vent covers, etc and can now call the roof done.
Next, I replaced the outside speakers...they looked like a Dodge's interior after sitting in the sun for 2 years:

...got some cheapos off Amazon:

...a bit of sealant, and a ladder to make me taller and that problem was solved:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »
This toyhauler has a fueling station, but when I tried the pump, it didn't work. I traced a short to the rear of the pump housing where someone had pinched a wire. While I was under there, I noticed that the pump had a 1" inlet (rated a 4 gallons/minute) necked down to a 3/8" barb. I'm thinkin' "that will never do" so out came the 20 gal tank. There are 2, 3/8" suction tubes in the tank....one for the genset, the other for the pump. After trying to adapt and create something larger, to no avail, I decided to install a spin on fuel filter...the kind with 2 inputs and 2 outputs. The 2  3/8 hoses going in, a 1/2 feeding the pump, and a 3/8 (still) going to the gen. Now , in theory, it should have about a 50% increase in volume.
Here's the new 1/2 barb at the pump inlet:

The fuel filter housing:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:07:52 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
....I bolted the tank in, and realized that it just "floated" in place. I could move it upwards about 2", simulating a nasty bump in the road. So, down it came again, and I cut up a pool noodle (acquired for the microwave...wonder where that idea came from) and glued some sections to the floor ribs:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:51:51 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »
Once the tank was back in, I replace the pump hose. The old one was short at 5 feet in length. I ordered a 10 footer, along with a fancy swivel, just like the ones at the gas station.
Old one vs new one:

Swivel (for those that can't read the package):

All done:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »
...and still had time to add these to my little 3/4 ton, to get the rear bumper off of the ground.
It's a shame that I didn't make time for installation pics....but it was a pretty straight forward install.
I like the wireless feature so far:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:01:02 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
I made time this week to tear the generator down. The bearings and just about everything except the cylinders, looked practically new. The bottoms of both cylinders were full of oil and very little crosshatch remained. what was weird was the oil rings have a huge gap, like 1/8", and both cylinders had the gaps of all of the rings at the bottom....perfectly lined up!
Here's proof of the teardown:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
While waiting for the gen to come back from the machine shop, I figured I'd keep truckin on some other projects.
This week I added a wireless camera system. It has a 7" monitor and came with 2 cameras. For now, I just mounted one in the rear of the trailer, and wired it to the clearance lights. Pretty painless:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
I got this fancy dancy tablet mount from amazonia. It has a quick connect that allows for removal when not towing. I bolted the flexible "snake" thing to the seat bracket, on the passenger floorboard:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »
Then I fixed a hydraulic leak at the reservoir.....twice. They want $126.00 for a new tank, $400.00 for a new assembly......so a $2.00 o-ring , then $5.00 worth of sillycone the second time seemed like the right way to go:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
Finally made time to rebuild the garage cabinets. I had to shorten them 3 inches to match the new loft height. They were made in place, not like traditional cabinets.
First I pried the 2 pieces apart then cut off one million staples, that previously held it together:

Here the upright has been shortened and both pieces rejoined with magic:

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2015, 05:37:28 AM »
Nice work, Ken.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
I made time this week to tear the generator down. The bearings and just about everything except the cylinders, looked practically new. The bottoms of both cylinders were full of oil and very little crosshatch remained. what was weird was the oil rings have a huge gap, like 1/8", and both cylinders had the gaps of all of the rings at the bottom....perfectly lined up!
Here's proof of the teardown:

Been waiting for this one

START IT UP!!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:46:16 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »