Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Dewalt 12v Drill and Driver  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Dewalt 12v Drill and Driver
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
Well I've been trying to narrow down a new set of drills for small/finish work. My 18v XRPs are absolute horses, but they're big and heavy. Getting into cabinets, overhead on a ladder, etc is suboptimal, so I decided to expand the stable and get a nice 12v set. I looked at the Boschs, Ridgids, and Milwaukees too, but they all had batteries in the grip, which made a rather girthy grip. I ended up gravitating back to my trusted Dewalts. My father in law has this same set and I love them. These will be a nice compliment to my 18v XRPs, and are significantly lighter.

Also organized my bits and drivers a bit, no pun intended. My countersinks were getting rattled and dinged, so I got another case just for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New Dewalt 12v Drill and Driver
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »
A buddy of mine has those very ones.
Nice and light and significant power for a small package.

You're going to like them.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
I love the new 20 volt brushless Dewalt's ! Also picked up this 20 volt impact doesn't replace your big pneumatic impact but does most jobs great!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092RUPXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also for all your 18 volt tools just got this adapter to use new 20 volt Li-batterys on my sawzall and skill saw, works great!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016K1UD0E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=4LZ4VQGEYDW5&coliid=I2O25T6O776ABJ&psc=1
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
That adapter is on my need list now...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
I am debating this issue currently as well.  Happened to see you can get the adapter, two new style batteries and a charger in a package.  So rather than buy two new 18v NiCad batteries, thinking about upgrading to the new style battery.  Still works with my old tools and I will already have the new batteries for the next tool purchase so it will all stay operational with the same batteries.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
I had considered that too, but to me it was all about size. I wanted to get as small and light as possible. Even the 20v new driver is 1lb heavier than the 12v version... believe me, I tried to justify bumping up to the new 20v, but I just couldn't do it. My 18v XRPs are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »
I have the DeWalt 12V's and I love them.  Only thing I dont like is the fact that the screw driver, or I call call it "regular" drill doesn't have a adjusatable opening, just a quick release like the impact.  Even though, I have had them for years and I love them for small places and around the house stuff. 

I recently saw that my glass subcontractor had a set of new Hilti 12V impact and screw gun.  They were impressive and so was the price.  I said hey, Ill take one of those next time you're out on my job, just sayin!
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
I love the adaptor. I hand the 18v 4 piece set but all my batteries are getting bad, and I got the first 20v brushless drill for Christmas 2 yrs ago and really like it for smaller jobs. No impact setting like my old 1/2 18v but drilling and screwing great. Bought a 2nd so the wife and I can run the truck camper jacks up and down, much faster and we can keep the camper more level than one person can. Then that lead to the 20v 1/2" impact and now the adaptor so I can run all my 18v stuff, and the new batteries run the sawzall and trim saw Much longer! Well worth the $$
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »
We are slowly switching over to Milwaukee. We have had Dewalt for years and they have taken some abuse. A LOT of abuse. The tools are slowly wearing out and the batterys are slowly dieing. Co-op gave us a Milwaukee grease gun for Christmas. We have a steel building to put up and we need 2 1/4 inch impacts so we got a Milwaukee instead of another dewalt. Other wise we would bun through batteries faster then they can charge.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
Cheaper is always better for the same thing.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal