Hello Guest

Author Topic: Federal Couragia M/T  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Federal Couragia M/T
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
Ordered another set of tires for the Silverado duramax

I use my truck quite often to tow and ot drive and tow off road. Some of the situations I find myself in are getting pretty sporty. Not just driving on dirt and sometimes muddy roads, but driving on very off camber hillsides while pulling a trailer on slippery and muddy surfaces.

Recently I drove down a field to load up a couple thousand pounds of firewood into my dump trailer which weighs several thousand pounds empty. Coming out in low range I hardly spun a tire and felt very "Sure-Footed"

Now because of the primitive nature of the road into the farm and some of the trails, the BFG's I currently use have suffered from some chunking and cuts from all the exposed rocks. They have never failed and have delivered great traction, but they are now under 50% tread height, some trending less than that, so it's time to replace them.

Unlike every other time, I would purchase five new tires, but this time I will select the best of the tires remaining and use it as a dedicated spare, and just buy four tires.

Further the BFG's were load range "D" but carrying a hefty 3,600 each but that became less than adequate recently. Having to occasionally pull 16,000 pounds of trailer and rubber track loader. I definitely need to step back into load range "E" tires.

Now because no mud tire I have EVER owned has lasted long, I am not going to pour a ton of money into $300-$500 tires anymore. With that Grizzly rear axle locker, tire life on the rear is questionable at best, especially considering I have 1200 odd ft/lbs of torque pushing against the planet through those orbs of rubber. Because of those factors I decided to select an inexpensive tire and give them a shot.

This time around it will be Federal Couragia M/T's which I hear get the job done, and typically noisy, and have average treadwear

I was able to purchase four 37X12.50R18 from walmart for a cost effective $974 total. Mounting and balancing will cost me $16.50 a tire more, but I think that's OK
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:58:58 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Couragia M/T
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »
Popular here in hippyland, I’ve never ran them. I like good tires and have a hard time with off brands when it comes to tires.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:34:58 AM »
Score one for the chinaman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
Score one for the chinaman

Well, it’s an off road tire. Lots of them are built outside the US. Kind of a given.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
Two of them are already in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
Tried to get my tires installed today at Walmart...

Bad idea

Didn't happen, and this is the message i sent to corporate headquarters:

I purchased four tires from the online store which were delivered to the Florence Supercenter, Florence, KY.  When they arrived I drove over to look at them and to schedule an installation. Oddly, I started to run into a stonewalling sort of attitude, where I felt the person I was speaking to just did not want to bother with the job at all. I got excuses like, "We need a certain installer", and the lift is a floor model and may not be able to lift your vehicle."
I questioned the "Technician" at every step, asking why they would need a special technician. Back in my college days, I changed tires all the time at a shop, so I know what it entails, and it is not all that difficult. Then I pointed out that my vehicle was just a Chevy truck and not a locomotive, and given that this was a dedicated tire installation center, I would guess the equipment would be adequate to the task.
Finally we agreed to an appointment, 1400 the next day (11/19/2019). I arrived in time for the appointment and was greeted at the counter with a question, "I'm guessing you own the big black truck?" I replied to the affirmative and was asked if the truck had aftermarket wheels. I replied that I did, and the tech told me they could not install onto aftermarket wheels.
I asked why and was told it was store policy. I was wondering why the technician with a name tag that read: "Installer bully" hadn't informed me when she was scheduling me the day earlier.
I asked why they had such a policy and was told they could damage aftermarket wheels (They wouldn't they also damage factory wheels??) and that the automotive department manager had created the policy.
I suppose we went along in this manner for a couple of minutes when I asked if I could just speak to that manager. They apparently made an effort to get her to come, however after a few more minutes, I was told she would not be coming.
I believe there was some sort of communication between her and the tech because he changed his story, now telling me that if I signed a waiver, they would install the tires. However he continued, telling me that he guaranteed that the machine would scratch up the wheels and gouge them on the inside. He explained that with aftermarket wheels this could happen. Perhaps the uninformed general public would buy such a story, but since I also change tires from time to time, I can tell you that is just a dismissal, is not true, and if your machine would scratch and gouge my wheels, then it would do it to factory wheels as well.
At this point I made the decision that I did not want anyone there touching my vehicle, heck, I didn't think about it, but I should have asked for a refund on the tires on the spot and given my business to someone who showed the smallest degree of interest and care.
So at this point, first, I'd like to say thank you to these people, because I am sure they probably would have damaged my property, so glad that they tipped their hand earlier so I could pick them out. out of space...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »
Uhm, why?

Why did you go to Walmart for tires?  :huh:

Don, no offense but the only thing Walmart is good for is harassing me about my receipt for the stuff I just paid for after I checked myself out. If I had to guess that’s probably a violation of my 4th amendment rights if I in fact put up with it. They have yet to physically stop me (to check my bags against my receipt) and I do my best to not go there unless I am forced to. With all that stated they would never touch my vehicle, ever.....

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 07:06:15 AM »
Wally world is horrible. My son went there to get some tires changed on his truck. The new tires were one size bigger than factory. They refused to do the job.

A good friend of mine pulling a homemade pickup box trailer had a flat. He took the tire in to get fixed. They asked if it came off a vehicle or trailer. He said trailer. They refused to fix it. They don't do trailer tires.  He went on to the next wally world. They asked the same question. This time he said it came off a pickup. They fixed it.

A girl I know always got her oil changed there. Until one time her car died on the way home. Long streak of oil on the highway behind her. Oil plug fell out.

Another friend lost all his oil because the filter came loose.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
I decided to purchase there for the simple reason that I would have a source in the event one or more of the tires were defective, then I could have some local recourse.

That visit was only the third time I had ever visited that place.

Speaking to my wife about the technician with the name tag, "Installer bully" I noted that she was wearing a watch cap (Inside the store) pulled down almost over her eyes. Kat said, "She was probably high." High! Heck, I never thought about that, but after a mental assessment of the workers there one word came to mind: Slobs.

The folks were wearing filthy clothing, had untrimmed hair and massive, haji looking beards that were similarly ungroomed. Dunno, but maybe they were shooting a Mad-Max sequel in the back and these techs were bit actors. To be fair not everyone was so awful looking, but most of them are

My conclusions as a former Army leader is that when the group is all farkered up, then look no further than the leadership. If the leadership is all farkered up, look to the policies and culture. I find nothing so far in the Walmart system that supports a desire to work above the minimum output level or strive for excellence

I will avoid the place for now on...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:56:00 AM »
The walmart response:

Question Reference # 191119-082434
Subject
Store Experience
Response By Email (11/20/2019 02:46 AM)
Hi Donald,

Your satisfaction is our top priority and your comments have been forwarded to your local Store. The management team there will take appropriate action and you can expect a response from them within three business days.

Thank you for contacting Walmart where we are always happy to help!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
I’d definitely not be taking my truck to them, especially after you wrote a complaint.  Seems like the type of people who might leave some bolts loose on purpose if you catch my drift

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »
Don, I think that overlooking a mental state is a guy thing. My wife is quick on that formerly an ER nurse so I always assumed it was just her training however I think it’s more, a female thing. Us guys going in focused on an outcome (it never really concerns me or us who we’re dealing with and their mental state) however as a woman most likely of a weaker physical position in any conversation it’s the first thought in their mind. At 5’ I can see where my wife is coming from.

Related, she once came home from work (er nurse at time) and told me she “had moves”. Immediately I’m interested!  :evil: They had given the staff some defensive training that day. So I said ok, show me “your moves”. So she comes at me and I grab her and flip her upside down in the kitchen shaking her. Then flip her back and set her down. I then asked what we learnt from this experience? Lol

Online cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »
The last time I was in a Walmart service center, it was for an oil change in my Jeep. I asked them to top off the rear dif fluid, as well, because I have a leaking axle seal. After waiting 4 hours, and as they were about to close, they informed me that they were unable to top off the rear diff because it did not have a filler plug. I then took the tech by the arm straight to the jeep, leaned over, and pointed to it. He then replied with a, "oh." I then stood there and supervised while he topped it off. SMH. Never again.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:05 PM »
I have found most big stores won't do anything but "stock" tires.

Bet Americas tire will match the price and not even wince at the install. They always floor jack mine anyway.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
Aside from the Walmart experience, I had the tires installed today

I went back to the truck center where I had the BFG's installed and the same man, "Too Tall" did this installation as well along with his assistant. Maybe it was more of the assistant working, but "TT" was very much involved.

So, this "Too-Tall" is a pretty interesting guy.

He was a soldier once, an NCO.
He served in Korea when things were bad there. He made sergeant several times while going up and down the rank structure. He stands 6'3", is way deep in his 70's and in pretty good shape. Since I last saw him when he mounted the BFG's, he had both knees replaced, and although he said it hurt, he also said pain is for _ussies!

The man works out almost every day of his life and it sure shows. He calls everyone "Kid" and works like a mule.

He actually busted the tires down and took them off the wheel with tire spoon levers, by hand, on the floor. His assistant mounted the new Federals on a machine, then the both of them mounted the wheels back onto my truck. Same as last time, I gave them the old tires so that they could sell them and keep the cash.

When I was leaving, TT said "I don't like officers." I smiled, shook his hand and said, "That's OK, I don't like NCO's." Which isn't true, but I'll let it sit with the man. We'll talk about it again when I purchase my next set of tires!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
Oh, heck, forgot to report on the new tires

At this point I have one word to describe them and that's, W-O-W!!!

They are glass smooth, zero runout and have an audible whine at speeds north of 55. They ride and handle so well, I am kicking myself in the buttox for not going with them earlier. Total for four tires, shipping, tax, mounting, new stems, and 4-8oz. bags of balance beads came in at $1142.

The BFG's were junk by comparison, I don't know if they were ever this smooth or quiet.

I aired all four to 60 lbs and zeroed out the mileage calculator. After some country road driving, some work in the town and maybe 30 miles of highway, I pulled in the driveway showing 18.1 average. Now I have never, ever gotten a number that high when I drove over 70, and I drove at 75+ on the highway. Tell me I'm crazy, but that is what the truck just recorded. Is it possible tires can improve fuel economy?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 10:08:39 PM »
Of course tires can help with mileage, but normally our aggressive tires hinder it.

Funny, my mileage is adown a little after the new gears, but it runs so much better. Call it a fair trade off.

About to install my lift (just seems to get pushed back) and really need to with the weather coming.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
Of course tires can help with mileage, but normally our aggressive tires hinder it.

Funny, my mileage is adown a little after the new gears, but it runs so much better. Call it a fair trade off.

About to install my lift (just seems to get pushed back) and really need to with the weather coming.

There's a fine line for sure, but also make sure and keep tabs on your speedo; you might be going faster than it shows.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
Within 1mph per gps. Has to done via the tuner now, they have me locked out.

Need to adjust the trans a little too, slite slip on 3-4 upshift like the TQ lets UL.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »

They are glass smooth, zero runout and have an audible whine at speeds north of 55. They ride and handle so well, I am kicking myself in the buttox for not going with them earlier. Total for four tires, shipping, tax, mounting, new stems, and 4-8oz. bags of balance beads came in at $1142.

The BFG's were junk by comparison, I don't know if they were ever this smooth or quiet.

I aired all four to 60 lbs and zeroed out the mileage calculator. After some country road driving, some work in the town and maybe 30 miles of highway, I pulled in the driveway showing 18.1 average. Now I have never, ever gotten a number that high when I drove over 70, and I drove at 75+ on the highway. Tell me I'm crazy, but that is what the truck just recorded. Is it possible tires can improve fuel economy?

Don what are the actual weights of the tires compared to the BFGs

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »

Don what are the actual weights of the tires compared to the BFGs
Phil,

Darned close:

BFG KM2 MT  74.5lbs

Federal Couragia  75lbs

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
The tires continue to impress. I have them inflated, still, at 65 lbs and running around today on a lot of backroads, they handled great.

When new, I can report they are excellent tires. No wobble, no shimmy, no vibrations, just totally smooth and not very noisy at all.

My experience tells me they will not stay that way, being a wide void mud tire, but so far, I wanna give em a big hug!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
Yeah, but how do they do in the mall mulch beds?   :popcorn:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »
Well isn’t this also a tire size increase for you?  35 to 37?

Where are the photos of these pretty tires installed

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
I think he had 37s already. I'm still running 35s but have 37s to go on.

Find some Mall Mulch and break em in!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
Well isn’t this also a tire size increase for you?  35 to 37?

Where are the photos of these pretty tires installed

Nope, same size.

I've been running 37's for a couple years

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »
Update on the tires

The battery died in one and termites got the other three!

And I'm sellin' the eiffel tower...cheap!

These tires are great! I am so surprised by how round and vibration free they continue to be. They do sing a tune going down the highway, but this old pilot can't hear high pitch tones anyway, so go ahead and sing away!

I have driven them in the mud, stick, deep, shallow, slimy and rocky. I got no cuts and never a hint of wheel spin. I credit that grizzly locker for a lot of the trucks off road prowess, but the tires are working. I have towed with them, I have driven in the snow and in the rain. I drove to church one morning at 100mph and they did just fine. Considering the price, these things qualify as some of the better bargain tires I have ever owned. Maybe the guys in last place have been trying harder. Don't know, but these tires are still great!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 12:49:28 AM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
Update time. Sadly, I am not sure how many miles are on these tires so far, but with no rotations, they are still running great.

I drove the truck off road on dirt roads and trails in a national forest this past weekend. We did many stream crossings, climbed and descended rocky trails, got into mud and had some higher speed sections where I got up to maybe 50. I never even had to use 4WD. These tires along with that excellent Yukon Grizzly locker was all we needed.

Just great tires, I am very happy with them. Will rotate them today.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 02:19:57 PM »
You know, with your, *ahem, "excellent track record with equipment", I should have you write a testimonial to the durability of that Grizzly Locker. Glad the tires are holding up to your skills as well!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 04:35:41 PM »
We have a set on Baylee’s jku, think we are running them at 25psi now. She took out an orange road construction cone this morning with them and they did fine. Should be ok in mulch beds too

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
We have a set on Baylee’s jku, think we are running them at 25psi now. She took out an orange road construction cone this morning with them and they did fine. Should be ok in mulch beds too
I'd avoid that mulch. Could be mixed with quick sand and possibly have some dirt in there as well!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
You know, with your, *ahem, "excellent track record with equipment", I should have you write a testimonial to the durability of that Grizzly Locker. Glad the tires are holding up to your skills as well!
I owe you that much. If you want it, I'll write it

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
Worth noting these are going in my f350 too

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 06:00:39 PM »
Worth noting these are going in my f350 too
I was going to order a set of the new Federal Xplora RTs for the burb but simple tire did not have them so I went to the Kanati trail hog tires. I have 5 in 37 x 12.50 R17 sitting outside my garage at the moment

I think those will be great tires as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal