Hello Guest

Author Topic: Christmas 2021  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Christmas 2021
« on: November 25, 2021, 09:28:45 PM »
Just to let you menses know, I am praying and thinking about the recipients of this year's Christmas money.
Last month I was thinking to give it all to Tunnels to Towers to help fund housing for emergency services folks or widows of warriors, but I am not sure about that. We seem to like to find that one person or family and cover down on them.

I'll let you know what shakes out.

Meanwhile, I'll start the collectin' of the monies effective immediately

This will be our eighth consecutive year of meet someone at their point of need with real, tangible help. Man that's great. Thank you, you good men out there who donate and make this possible!

As always, watch the donations thread to see the amount grow.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:32:10 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 10:20:31 PM »
I like helping as we have done in the past, my 2 cents
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
You have helped so many S
Just think of those two little girls who had about nothing, and you/we gave them both a Christmas. If you remember, we gave them both bibles too. The reaction from one of the fathers which I got second hand because I was not there was good. He was a hard case, telling himself and his daughter that the world was a cold and harsh place, but right in the middle of that, his daughter is anonymously blessed with a nice Christmas and then the bible. He said "I would not have allowed a bible in my house, but I think I will allow this one. His expression softened according to the witness, and I believe Jesus working through your hands, the hands of the men here broke through that hard veneer. We did the work of Jesus and that is exactly what we are supposed to do!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:44:50 AM »
And we have our first donation, $103.16

or should that read:    $103:16 :wink:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 01:15:41 PM »
You have helped so many S
Just think of those two little girls who had about nothing, and you/we gave them both a Christmas. If you remember, we gave them both bibles too. The reaction from one of the fathers which I got second hand because I was not there was good. He was a hard case, telling himself and his daughter that the world was a cold and harsh place, but right in the middle of that, his daughter is anonymously blessed with a nice Christmas and then the bible. He said "I would not have allowed a bible in my house, but I think I will allow this one. His expression softened according to the witness, and I believe Jesus working through your hands, the hands of the men here broke through that hard veneer. We did the work of Jesus and that is exactly what we are supposed to do!

I look at it as it’s not our money really, yes we’re stewards of it for a time and it’s a unit of our labor. However, we’re blessed to be able to earn it & have it so I think we have an obligation to further his works with it.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
Just got another one, $100

Thank you faithful sir!

We now have $203.16

and

I am still looking/praying about where the money goes!

Never had this happen before!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »
Another $120

Total $323.16

And the guys who donated so far donate every year. Some of them donate multiple times during the drive and donate to other things here as well.

I feel like borrowing the US Marines slogan

"A Few Good Men"

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
I now know where the money is going

My state, Kentucky was just plain torn up last night.

One site alone, Mayfield is very bad. A major tornado turned a factory that had 110 people into a pile of rubbish. Emergency channels tell us to prepare for possibly more than 100 dead just there. The tornados hit south of there as well. I am leaving in a few minutes to go to those remote areas. That is the location of my farm, and although whether or not it is still there is not important at all, the population density there is as sparse as it gets in this state. I suspect there is great need down there, but it is not a news maker. I will start in my farm's county and work myself north to Maysville and plug in where I can.

We are giving whatever money is given here to some or several needy families near and around Maysville. I hear Bowling green (Home of the Corvette plant) was hit almost as bad. This will be a day to remember in the lives of the people here

Pray for us even if you don't give. Prayer is free and a much better gift. Then do yourself a favor, Keep it to yourself so that you will secure the blessing that God will give to you afterward.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
Yeah they did get hit. Has it really been 8 years?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 10:41:47 AM »
Yeah they did get hit. Has it really been 8 years?
Yessir, 8th year of faithfulness.
Most won't give, but like with life, the efforts of the few carry all over the hurtle.
So one gentleman stepped up with $50, then opted to send another $55, for $105 total donation
Right along with him an always faithful man sent $50 to make the donations reach $155 yesterday

So out total stands at: $478.16

And, sharing my thoughts: Following the decision to sow into the families who suffered in those tornados yesterday, well, the evening before, I wanted to find that exact family and meet them at their point of need. I am still kind of tracking on that line of thinking, but with all the confusion down there, that may very well be impossible. Communication is sparse since the power is out and people are scattered. But I think the churches in that town will have a better handle on what's going on in their midst's.
So my plan is to allow the dust to settle for a few days to a week, then try to contact a pastor down there and tell him what we want to do. He may be able to point us toward that person or family, or it may be best to donate to some general fund for them to use. I am not sure of the actual mechanics of this yet, only that at the moment, around $500 is coming from us and going into that area, either Mayfield or Bowling Green.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »
I now know where the money is going

My state, Kentucky was just plain torn up last night.

One site alone, Mayfield is very bad. A major tornado turned a factory that had 110 people into a pile of rubbish. Emergency channels tell us to prepare for possibly more than 100 dead just there. The tornados hit south of there as well. I am leaving in a few minutes to go to those remote areas. That is the location of my farm, and although whether or not it is still there is not important at all, the population density there is as sparse as it gets in this state. I suspect there is great need down there, but it is not a news maker. I will start in my farm's county and work myself north to Maysville and plug in where I can.

We are giving whatever money is given here to some or several needy families near and around Maysville. I hear Bowling green (Home of the Corvette plant) was hit almost as bad. This will be a day to remember in the lives of the people here

Pray for us even if you don't give. Prayer is free and a much better gift. Then do yourself a favor, Keep it to yourself so that you will secure the blessing that God will give to you afterward.

I'm going to quote myself here:
Because I made a mistake.
I did hear Maysville, which is near my farm, but I also heard Mayfield. In my mind all I heard was Maysville because I am familiar. So I took off yesterday and I drove and drove looking for some place to jump in and clear downed trees, or help someone pack out their stuff, something like that. I drove through Pendleton county, then Harrison, through Bracken county and then Mason county arriving in Maysville around 1500. I certainly was confused because to me it looked like the place was untouched...Like this tornado didn't do any damage.
So I texted some friends,
They pointed out my spelling error...
So I drove home
A couple hundred miles of driving...for nothing
Yup...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:49:20 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 01:36:01 PM »
No, your mind and heart were in the right place.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 10:12:35 PM »
We just got another donation...$25

Which makes...$503.16

There's that numba again ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 11:44:17 PM »
Just had a big one

$150!

Thank you Mam!

Now at:  $653:16

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 12:14:33 AM »
Update: So I've been searching around and looking at the churches there at Mayfield, KY. None is popping at the moment, and as I understand it, most have been demolished so it comes down to finding one intact enough to still be able to point to someone for me or to take our money and put it to good use down there.

FYI...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:34:48 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2021, 07:06:48 PM »
Update: I may have a pastor's name who is working from a bicycle.
Yesterday I spoke with a Kentucky ANG sergeant who told me the place was still an active search and rescue operation. Not everyone has been found yet.

Holding fast at $653:16
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:07:27 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Don, it is really great that you are working so hard for a nice place to watch the funds work.
My problem is there are so many places right here at home where a little help can makes such a large difference in a families life. I hope you can understand and not hold the fact I am not a part of this yearly project against my belonging to such a place to be part of.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2021, 10:59:48 PM »
Don, it is really great that you are working so hard for a nice place to watch the funds work.
My problem is there are so many places right here at home where a little help can makes such a large difference in a families life. I hope you can understand and not hold the fact I am not a part of this yearly project against my belonging to such a place to be part of.
Bob, I'm good

I am not, and have never asked for any money. I agree, there are plenty of families all over and other places in need. If you find one near you, of course, go for it. I won't ever think any differently of anyone for not giving. I don't look at it as though we didn't give enough. The way I see it, we gave the correct amount because God inspired those folks who he wanted to give in the first place. So, although part of me would like to drive down there with $30,000 in my pockets, the money I do take will help in just the way God intended it to.

So, to everyone: Don't give if you don't want to. What you do is between you and your God. If you do happen to give here, I will put that which has been given to where I feel I am being told to give and that is that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:02:48 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline DDS

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
 :likebutton:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
We just had another faithful gentleman donate $100!

Thank you sir!

Total: $753:16

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »
...And while I was away, we had another gentleman donate $100

That's great, Thank You!

Total:  853:16

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »
Keep it up guys!! :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
We just had another donation of $50

Thank you for doing so much heavy lifting around here!

Total:  $903:16

I wonder if it stays here or goes further????

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
This year we will be making the actual donation after Christmas day. Reason is, communications down there is still a mess. It took me until a few days ago to finally get in direct touch with the pastor I was trying to seek only to find out he lives in Allen County apart from the disaster area. I can do an online donation to one of the churches there, but I want to find "That guy."

Coupled with the fact that all the folks from that town have scattered and are living in hotels and with friends and relatives, it is difficult to lock down anyone at the moment. I'll tackle it after Christmas when the dust from the holiday settles some.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »
Sounds like a plan.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »
Ladies and Gents

It has taken some time but I finally got to "Pastor Bob" of the Yahweh Baptist in Mayfield, KY.

Pastor Bob is a retired Kentucky State Trooper and head pastor of that church. That church was pretty much destroyed by the tornado:

https://www.facebook.com/YahwehBaptistChurch/

When I spoke to him today, he was busy moving stuff to a dry place since we are about to get hit by a snow storm which would wreck a lot of what was salvageable. They have great need including shouldering burial costs of two of their members. One of those members was a baby who was killed during the tornado. The church is paying for that child's headstone. Although I told Pastor Bob to use the money however he could, I feel for the death of one so young and the loss that family must feel.

Thank you, men of God for providing this donation to this church that none of you ever knew existed!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 12:46:42 PM »
And confirmed that they received the $903.16, which they did.

Pastor Bob shared that the mother of the infant who died is still in a comma from the tornado. Wow, just wow. To think what some people go through.

I want to say Thank you. Pastor Bob is not much for words, he is a busy guy, but he sent his thanks for helping, but the poor guy is just overwhelmed.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 03:43:07 PM »

Pastor Bob shared that the mother of the infant who died is still in a comma from the tornado. Wow, just wow. To think what some people go through.

I want to say Thank you. Pastor Bob is not much for words, he is a busy guy, but he sent his thanks for helping, but the poor guy is just overwhelmed.
I pray for her recover both physical and the mental anguish yet to come after her recovery!! Lord that is heartbreaking to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »
Thanks for updating us. I feel they have some hurdles still being winter is really just starting.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »

I pray for her recover both physical and the mental anguish yet to come after her recovery!! Lord that is heartbreaking to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, know that what we did helped. They are not a big well financed church. They are struggling and we met them at their point of need. We did the right thing, and you helped!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal