Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1998 Jeep XJ  (Read 56976 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Jeep XJ
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »
Well, at least Saturn was owned/built by GM, so you're gtg in my book!

It's also a manual transmission. lol
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
Manual trans...Well, OK, give ya a bye on that one...

Pilots with big watches? Usually only the ones who aren't spending all their time flying

Read: Wanna-be's
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2015, 02:04:59 AM »
It appears as if the oil pan gasket has decided to leak. So once I get paid I'm going to have to replace some things. Thinking I'm going to throw down and replace the oil pan gasket, the rear main seal, oil pump, and MAYBE the valve cover gasket.

Why? Well because I want to, or something like that.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2015, 02:11:11 AM »
Maybe just do the motor?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »
Maybe just do the motor?

I've already looked at and bookmarked a 4.6 or 4.7 stroker. Complete, and ready for drop in for $2,500. Or might buy another 4.0 for $300 that was pulled at 123,xxx miles and go with that. But if I do that it'll have to wait until after payday and when I get back from Reno.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
Bobby, grab the 123,000 mile unit. Go buy a comp cams (call them direct & ask them what they recommend for towing / gas mileage) & have top end redone. Then you'll have a torqueee little motor without that big price tag. I did this (cam & top end) on my 04 rubicon & noticed a big improvement in drive ability. If you want add the headers & exhaust. Just my 2 cents
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
I have to agree with what's his name ^^^

Buy the used motor, pull the head. hand port it, well just clean up the roughness in the casting, good performance valve job with a larger seat surface. Paint up the inside and outside, weld a chunk of plate steel onto the oil pan bottom, do the cam.
Heck, send the pan to me and I'll do it for ya!
As Norm would say, toss in a High lift, short duration bump stick, and think about cam timing.
Gasket it all up and bolt her in.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »

Typical pilut commentary......

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »
Bobby, grab the 123,000 mile unit. Go buy a comp cams (call them direct & ask them what they recommend for towing / gas mileage) & have top end redone. Then you'll have a torqueee little motor without that big price tag. I did this (cam & top end) on my 04 rubicon & noticed a big improvement in drive ability. If you want add the headers & exhaust. Just my 2 cents

I'm thinking about it, however it's a 99 and I'm not sure if all the electrical voodoo will cooperate with the 98. At least if what I'm reading is correct.

Buy the used motor, pull the head. hand port it, well just clean up the roughness in the casting, good performance valve job with a larger seat surface. Paint up the inside and outside, weld a chunk of plate steel onto the oil pan bottom, do the cam.
Heck, send the pan to me and I'll do it for ya!
As Norm would say, toss in a High lift, short duration bump stick, and think about cam timing.
Gasket it all up and bolt her in.

I'm getting the oil changed today after work, and depending on what the mechanic (Guy I know and trust) says, I may get the motor if it'll work with the 98 (the motor is a 99), I'll get the motor and acquire the add ons and get it swapped out.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
Good idea, there is a difference in years but can't recall when that happened....

Edit: Bobby I researched it, as long as that motor came out of a 99 tj or xj you're gtg. If it came out of a 99 wj then it's a no go.....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:11:31 PM by stlaser »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Good idea, there is a difference in years but can't recall when that happened....

Edit: Bobby I researched it, as long as that motor came out of a 99 tj or xj you're gtg. If it came out of a 99 wj then it's a no go.....

That's good to know. Went and got the oil changed, the mechanic looked at XJ and said the trans cooler line is leaking, and the RMS is also leaking. But I can just keep adding oil if she needs it. So I'm thinking when I get back from Reno, I"ll snag that motor is its still available, and start acquiring parts.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Good idea, slow build with an end goal as money finds itself available.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
123 does not sound bad at all. Do the head and seals and another 100k

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
Trans cooler line is easy fix typically it's just a short piece of rubber tube connecting steel lines to tranny & steel lines to tran cooler. $5 piece of rubber hose & couple hose clamps. Lay on your back under front end & you'll see them. Same issue on my tj hose had nick in it
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:01:40 PM by stlaser »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2015, 03:11:06 AM »
Trans cooler line is easy fix typically it's just a short piece of rubber tube connecting steel lines to tranny & steel lines to tran cooler. $5 piece of rubber hose & couple hose clamps. Lay on your back under front end & you'll see them. Same issue on my tj hose had nick in it

It snowed last night. There's drifts all around XJ. The Sheriff's dept closed on ramps to the highway south of me last night, they reopened them at 0100. So I shan't be laying in the parking lot swapping lines..

But once I get back from Reno, if I don't have it done, I'll use my parent's garage and get it done. Well that's assuming Bear will leave me alone for 15 mins.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:24:42 PM by BobbyB »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2015, 03:20:05 AM »
Reno, your just a couple hours from me!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »
Reno, your just a couple hours from me!

I was originally going to fly into SF and spend a day hanging out with my buddy who lives out there, then we were going to road trip to Reno for his wedding, but yea that would've added almost $1,000 to my trip, so that got nixed.

On a side XJ related note, the Duratracs and 4wd still rock in the deep snow drifts. People just left their cars in the driveways and parking lots where they got stuck last night. Semi's who stopped for the night are stuck on the on/off ramps or parking lots. Car dealerships have vehicles in drifts up to and overlapping their bumpers.. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:45:33 AM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »
"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"

Quiz:  what song is that from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
That would be the man in black
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
As our leader would say"give that man a gold star"!  Enjoy your trip to Reno Bobby. Hope there is no shooting.  And stay away from Lamar Odom's house.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
As our leader would say"give that man a gold star"!  Enjoy your trip to Reno Bobby. Hope there is no shooting.  And stay away from Lamar Odom's house.....

I'm staying at a classy resort. Totally above my league but oh well. I'll just act like I own the place.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »

Beat me to it!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »
So XJ sat all by her lonesome in the parking lot. It got all polar vortex-y and this morning she was cranky on start up. But she got over it, I still had to go to work.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »
You get that motor picked up?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
You get that motor picked up?

Nope. It was sold. There are a couple more for sale so maybe sometime soon.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
Well last week I got a call from a friend of mine who's car died on her, asking me to come pick her up. I said sure but it'd be a minute as I'd have to drive 30 mins to facilitate the pick up. Well her friend from work ended up picking her up, so I went grocery shopping, as I was about to pull out of the parking lot XJ died.

No restarting, no stuttering just straight died. Well I threw a few choice words at her, waited a few and attempted a restart. So as I'm sitting there partially blocking the exit, I went through the scenarios of what angered XJ to the point of ceasing all function.

1. XJ heard I might sell her...
  - Unlikely but who knows apparently they know everything.

2. Battery died..
  - It is an old battery, but nope.

3. Fuel pump/fuel filter fail..
  - Nope, it was running fine until I attempted to get home from the grocery store.

4. Unknown gremlin making my day miserable..
  - Most likely

5. As a chance one of the NAPA workers sprayed some starting fluid down her intake...
  - Sputtered and died ASAP

6. Alternator..
 - Ehh I think I just replaced it before winter.

At this point, I said screw it and called a tow truck and had her taken to the local dealership. In the back of my head the crankshaft position sensor was floating around, but I didn't give it much thought; I should've.

Picked XJ up last Friday, to a tune of $289.xx
 - Crankshaft position sensor... figures.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:26:18 PM by BobbyB »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
Ouch for a $30 part. I have a line on one out here for about free, just come get it. I don't have the room or time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
Ouch for a $30 part. I have a line on one out here for about free, just come get it. I don't have the room or time.

That's the part that I had to (sorta) laugh at. Had I thought harder about it, I could've just had XJ towed to my apt complex, and bought the part and done it myself. But I also didn't want to fight with XJ. Oh well, what's done is done.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
CPS are cranky old buggers. and for something so small..

word of warning, I saw something about you picking up another motor at some point. If you do, make sure you keep your existing flywheel on whatever 4.0 you stick back in there.. otherwise the CPS won't read the 'dot dash' as the flywheel spins and won't tell it to fire when needed.

ask me how I figured that on out..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2016, 02:27:27 AM »
CPS are cranky old buggers. and for something so small..

word of warning, I saw something about you picking up another motor at some point. If you do, make sure you keep your existing flywheel on whatever 4.0 you stick back in there.. otherwise the CPS won't read the 'dot dash' as the flywheel spins and won't tell it to fire when needed.

ask me how I figured that on out..

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
That's the part that I had to (sorta) laugh at. Had I thought harder about it, I could've just had XJ towed to my apt complex, and bought the part and done it myself. But I also didn't want to fight with XJ. Oh well, what's done is done.

But had you replaced the CKP, it would have been the fuel pump. That's just how it works. Cars are  products of Satan.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »

But had you replaced the CKP, it would have been the fuel pump. That's just how it works. Cars are  products of Satan.

This is true. But no biggie, she's all fixed now; probably.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
Went to the pick and pull with dad on Saturday after browsing a maddenly small and over priced gunshow. Every Jeep was picked over with the stuff I was looking for, all that was left was rusted crap.. Oh well maybe I will order from Rock Auto.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:28:15 AM by BobbyB »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
I just got a cat from rock auto for less than everyone even with shipping!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »
You get that motor while u were there?

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »
I just got a cat from rock auto for less than everyone even with shipping!

I've ordered from them before, just been awhile. The exhaust is one area that I'm going to be doing some work.

You get that motor while u were there?

Those are the first thing that place pulls; well them or the (higher quality) parts place next door pulls.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Maybe look for a wrecked one for the motor. To bad your so far, some guy wants me take one from him, I just don't have room.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »
Maybe look for a wrecked one for the motor. To bad your so far, some guy wants me take one from him, I just don't have room.

Almost all the motors are pulled. You don't see many engines in that yard. The ones that are there are damaged from front end collisions and etc, so basically useless.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2016, 03:14:21 AM »
I mean not in the yard, parts trucks on cl. I see suburban stuff all the time. Not to rub in but lots of xj's in yards.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
I mean not in the yard, parts trucks on cl. I see suburban stuff all the time. Not to rub in but lots of xj's in yards.

I do. But I've decided to do small things first before I go to the motor.

Plus the car needs new tires, so there's that as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:31:53 AM by BobbyB »

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
2" budget boost and 31" ATs in whatever flavor you decide on and call it done. no steering or track bar corrections with anything under 3", but a worthwhile upgrade should the need arise is a Rusty's knuckle to knuckle steering conversion. straight forward install, tosses the old Y link steering out the window to keep the same geometry no matter how far the suspension travels.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »
2" budget boost and 31" ATs in whatever flavor you decide on and call it done. no steering or track bar corrections with anything under 3", but a worthwhile upgrade should the need arise is a Rusty's knuckle to knuckle steering conversion. straight forward install, tosses the old Y link steering out the window to keep the same geometry no matter how far the suspension travels.

Well IF, I get around to lifting, 3" is what I've pretty much decided on. But everything else you said has been written down on my notepad, now if I can keep from spilling water, coffee or milk on it like my last one...

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
3" you'll need an adjustable track bar, (usually comes with a HD mount as well) but everything else is just the same.

I can get a pick of one we just did that is 3" and 31ish tires. looks sharp. has newer rubicon rims on it, so they're 17s. has to get wheel spacer/adapters for it. (not needed if you're keeping the same rims..)

3" looks great on those XJs with stock fenders.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
3" you'll need an adjustable track bar, (usually comes with a HD mount as well) but everything else is just the same.

I can get a pick of one we just did that is 3" and 31ish tires. looks sharp. has newer rubicon rims on it, so they're 17s. has to get wheel spacer/adapters for it. (not needed if you're keeping the same rims..)

3" looks great on those XJs with stock fenders.

I was going to get the flat fender flares, but then realized it wouldn't look right with only 31s. But I also need to order a new passenger fender, rust ate a nice chunk out of it. Then order new stock flares.

Let's see the pic when you get a chance. I bought some Grizzly rims, that were on option on XJs supposedly. Only cost me $100 for five, but need to get them blasted then powdercoated, unless i blast them and then prime and rattle can them.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
how it showed up..

and it promptly ended up like this  ;D

front coils, sway bar links, shocks, rotors, spacers and lower control arms

Rusty's knuckle to knuckle

and all together (rears are just leaf packs, nothing special there. can easily be done with shackles as well..)

and then this..

bc of this.. notice that green liquid stuff in the cylinders  :-\

the problem.. cracked head. so.. I give you:

all cleaned up

and done

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »
That does look nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
That looks good!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »
Bobby's thread just got the hi jack......

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2016, 10:09:04 PM »
Sweet!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »

bu.. but.. I thought I was helping  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal