Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NLR (currently)  (Read 5005 times)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hello from NLR (currently)
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
Hello to all, and thanks for allowing me to join this site! I am a Soldier, a 4WD enthusiast, gun owner, and believe strongly in the US Constitution. I look forward to sharing information and opinions with you all!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from NLR (currently)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
Welcome Sean! Thanks for joining, and most importantly, serving our country.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
Great to have ya!

Soldier? What? Where?

Always interested in what our boyz are up to!

Be safe, jump right in!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »
Hey Sean....nice to meet you. And ditto what Ken said- thank you for your service!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
Welcome Sean! Let me know if you have any questions on anything forum related... happy to help

Best,
Kyle
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
I can tell by your handle that we are going to get along just fine. Great to have you aboard, thank you for your service and stay safe! Now to the important info: how much lift and what tires are you running on your CJ? :-)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
You think he has one of those old Ox winches on his CJ-7?

BTW, I owned two CJ-7's. First a 79 had a straight six with a 4 speed. I quickly traded that on a hardtop 1980 with a 304 and a 4-speed

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »
Welcome. Glad another soldier is here.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
Welcome Sean!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »

BTW, I owned two CJ-7's. First a 79 had a straight six with a 4 speed. I quickly traded that on a hardtop 1980 with a 304 and a 4-speed

First.  Welcome Sean.  Thank you for your service.  We enjoy and appreciate the freedom you and others on this site have provided for us.

Don, you talking about the one you rolled at Ft. Knox? and lied to the MPs about?  Yeah, that orange one??
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »

First.  Welcome Sean.  Thank you for your service.  We enjoy and appreciate the freedom you and others on this site have provided for us.

Don, you talking about the one you rolled at Ft. Knox? and lied to the MPs about?  Yeah, that orange one??
That would be the one!

I think I might try and dig up some pics of my older trucks and that jeep to show you folks. Guess I could scan them and post them that way...See what I can dig up

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
Take pictures of pictures, that's what I do! Way faster than scanning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
Welcome Sean, looks like you'll fit in quite well. They can be a rowdy bunch here all these DOT's getting out of line constantly. It really takes some getting used to for us more refined types! ::) JK, glad you found us and we appreciate your service. Shawn
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
Wow! Heck of a response here! Thanks for the welcome. Okay, let's see if I can answer all the questions. I am currently on temporary active duty orders for the National Guard, the NG Professional Education Center at Camp Robinson. I'm an Armor Officer (Major), but my primary AOC/MOS is Cavalry. I've got a couple of tours in Iraq, and shared some of the mud that Don was flying over in 2005-2006. My Jeep is an '85 CJ-7 with OX lockers front/rear. It's sprung over, with 2.5" lift springs and a 2" body lift. The winch is a Warn 9500. I grew up in El Paso, TX, have lived in Huntsville, AL, for a little over 20 years, and have been a Mississippi National Guardsman for 18+ years. I think maybe that covers it.  ;D
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
Neg, tire size & make..... :D

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
Original US made OX w/ billet covers and cables, or fancy schmancy later models w/ air actuators?  (I'm the diff guy 8))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Ox lockers...right
Don't know why I thought of "OX" as winch people???

Cav guy, good to go.

I started my life as an Armor guy myself. M60A1's. C company 1/13 Armor, 1st AD in Illeshiem back in the 70's, then a teaching stint at Ft. Knox. All before flight school of course, but I really enjoyed tanking.

Been to Camp Robinson many times. As a spec ops guy using that as a target and as a 101st guy using that as a PZ for raids over at Ft. Smith...

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Ok, missed a few Qs.
Tire size: 36x13.50R15 IROKs
OX Lockers: The original cable actuated type, installed about 13-14 years ago.
Diffs: 4.56:1
Axles:
Front: Dana 30 with chromoly shafts (I know, they should have spontaneously combusted in a giant world destroying mushroom cloud years ago when I mounted 33s to the ends, but the fact is I've only busted one axle shaft, and that was trying to drag a tornado installed tree from the roof structure of a house, on hard ball. And yes, I do wheel it  ;))
Rear: AMC 20, with Warn full float (again, I know, it's a polished turd that should have failed me in a catastrophic fashion according to the all-knowing-web-wheeling-mall-crawlers, but has miraculously held up for 15 years of wheeling)

;D
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
You have gems sir. The original OX units are marvelous feats of engineering. US made Warn ff conversion is stronger than a stock dana 44 and will serve you well for many years to come. If you do suffer casualties, they don't manufacture them anymore but I have a customer here in WA that does, and they're stateside too. Both axles are great as long as you know how to manage the skinny pedal which you've obviously got down pat with 15 yrs on them so far. Mall crawlers like to talk about how much money they spend on their parts and then don't know how to drive anyway, break them, then blame the parts. Glad to see more logically thinking folks around here.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
My hats off to you for a couple of reasons. First you wheel in SE it appears with mud & rocks. This is no joke real wheeling. Second you have done it with a D30 & AMC20. I had 37's on a built 44 & usually didn't last a weekend in those conditions.......

Ok, missed a few Qs.
Tire size: 36x13.50R15 IROKs
OX Lockers: The original cable actuated type, installed about 13-14 years ago.
Diffs: 4.56:1
Axles:
Front: Dana 30 with chromoly shafts (I know, they should have spontaneously combusted in a giant world destroying mushroom cloud years ago when I mounted 33s to the ends, but the fact is I've only busted one axle shaft, and that was trying to drag a tornado installed tree from the roof structure of a house, on hard ball. And yes, I do wheel it  ;))
Rear: AMC 20, with Warn full float (again, I know, it's a polished turd that should have failed me in a catastrophic fashion according to the all-knowing-web-wheeling-mall-crawlers, but has miraculously held up for 15 years of wheeling)

;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
NLR. I get it now. It was also referred to as "dog town" back when I was in the area in the early 1990s. I spent 93-98 in LR before moving back to Texas. I still like AR a lot. Despite having spawned the likes of Clinton and Sheffield Nelson and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 04:51:13 PM »
You have gems sir. The original OX units are marvelous feats of engineering. US made Warn ff conversion is stronger than a stock dana 44 and will serve you well for many years to come. If you do suffer casualties, they don't manufacture them anymore but I have a customer here in WA that does, and they're stateside too. Both axles are great as long as you know how to manage the skinny pedal which you've obviously got down pat with 15 yrs on them so far. Mall crawlers like to talk about how much money they spend on their parts and then don't know how to drive anyway, break them, then blame the parts. Glad to see more logically thinking folks around here.

I've been real happen with both the OXes and the Warn FFers. I tend to wheel like I have to drive the rig to work the next day. I'm not too proud to take a strap or pull cable on the winch. Trail repairs are fun, but actually wheelin' is better! Most of the folks in my 4wd club in Huntsville, AL, are of like mind to me.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
My hats off to you for a couple of reasons. First you wheel in SE it appears with mud & rocks. This is no joke real wheeling. Second you have done it with a D30 & AMC20. I had 37's on a built 44 & usually didn't last a weekend in those conditions.......

Yeah, the west coast guys always make fun of us on the forums....until they get out here and try to wheel. We've had 4 that I can recall moved out to Huntsville and wanted to join our 4wd club. During the meetings we ask all visitors to introduce themselves and tell us about their rigs. These 4 (all separate people over a period of several years) all went on about how we didn't have anything in the SE that they couldn't tackle. Then wanted to go on our toughest trails. They all had catastrophic mechanical failures, and we never saw them again. Their rigs did mysteriously appear for sale on craigslist, though. The last guy was the funniest. He had a Chevy LUV on Unimog portals w/40's IIRC. He was a real jack@$$ with all the bragging. He went on a trail ride with us, and he kept wanting to try the hardest obstacle in the area, touting that he'd make it up easy! Well, our soft spoken young trail guide took him to a local semi-dry water fall. The guy got real nervous, and you could tell he wanted to back out. Our trail guide walked up said waterfall in his Toyota on 37s, and this guy's ego wouldn't let him back down. He did make it up, after 5 tries. On the final try, just as he was cresting the top, his motor and front axle grenaded. LOL! See what bragging gets you?
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 05:03:39 PM »
NLR. I get it now. It was also referred to as "dog town" back when I was in the area in the early 1990s. I spent 93-98 in LR before moving back to Texas. I still like AR a lot. Despite having spawned the likes of Clinton and Sheffield Nelson and a few others.

Some still call it that. I love the area, we are definitely in agreement concerning the Klintans.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
hold on here.............;D

I want to make sure I have this right, we now have 2 armor pukes on here and one (who couldn't hack it as a tanker and had to go be a fly boy...;D ) used to be tanker?  the site has just went to DO DO....

glad to see that there was at least 1 that broke out of this armpit that they call the sun city.  I have been stuck here for the longest 5.5 years of my life and I cant wait until see this place in the rear view mirror.

I have spent a little time in NLR at the national cemetery laying our brethren to rest.  it is a very pleasant, peaceful and quiet patch of land.

on a serious note
sean, its great to have you here.  if there is anything that we can do to assist you, please let one of the staff know and well see what we can do to assist.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:24:44 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
Thanks, all!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal