Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1350498 times)

hammer7896 (+ 1 Hidden) and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #10700 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:10 AM »
And Genos East Pizza.  One slice is enough, even for Nate!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: August 19, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
Picked up 6 surplus 50 cal cans and 2 surplus 30 cal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: August 19, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
Hows this for lunch TRN....?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
Better than the salad I had for sure

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: August 19, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
Got sweet corn ready. Not much of a crop this year but plenty for us. Jasper is so excited he was jumping up and down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »
Jon if you have some left over, i would like to purchase some from you
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: August 19, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »
Jon, check your messages please
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: August 19, 2019, 11:58:51 PM »
Tonight I made my neighbor extra happy. when the developer put in the subdivision he gifted 6 ft of property to all the farmers who had already built up existing barriers and fences, gave them more land.   The farmer next to me had olive trees that lined what used to be his land.    The developer pushed truck loads of dirt onto his new land with no way for him to move it really, no good way to maintain the land.  Most people put up fences like mine.   He has been trying a little at a time to use his small case tractor with a bucket good for lifting about hay and grass clippings, it’s going slow.   
Tonight I had access to our Deere 333c and figured I would finish off the job for the guy.  Took me an hour to clear the areas level and remove the dirt them pushed to far into the lot.

Learned that my kids are terrible st listening to mom when dad is in equipment, my truck is terrible for towing such things at that weight!
I like driving equipment but no one wants to let me leave my current position to be a “ dumb equipment driver”
Loaded into our dump trailer.  Yes way over the limit of 8k, way out of balance but. Like the UPS. If it fit it ships

Had to play the front and back game to get the rear Jack’s off the ground than back up the skid to lift my truck off of the bump stops.   Yes I need air bags!!! Yes I need to buy a 3500 or a F-350

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: August 20, 2019, 05:32:28 AM »
Good on you Dave.  Will that save the olive tree by not covering up the roots?  Do those trees produce?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:21 AM »
Jon if you have some left over, i would like to purchase some from you
Didn't get a 1/3 of normal crop. There won't be any leftover. I've been so busy this year the weeds got away from me and choked out a bunch of it.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10710 on: August 20, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »
Meeting Nate in Chitcago today.....the drive is going to SUCK as I hate being trapped in wacko traffic, but where we're heading, there's no good public transportation option as I'm NOT ridding a bus for an hour! Great timing to get away from unpacking and stacking in the new abode!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
YESTERDAY, I about broke my new garage man who complained that I couldn’t put out that much stuff etc. so I just played dumb, offered to pay etc. He  asked me to go to the website-so I did that on my phone while I stood there, and it wouldn’t hook up! LOL!  Why were standing there I just proceeded to continue throwing crap in to the Hopper and help him with what he would take.  That I asked for at least please take this non-wooden stuff so when it rains I don’t have to lift it soaked! Before we know it everything was gone LOL!

I FINALLY uncovered my workbench in the PODS container and  then cleared a space for it in the now packed garage. Eventually all my tools found a way to their new home! I was actually able to do things properly after that!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #10712 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
Pretty high falutin’ if you have a “garage man” at your new place...

A six pack on the can occasionally will do wonders.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:40:48 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: August 20, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »
Tonight I made my neighbor extra happy. when the developer put in the subdivision he gifted 6 ft of property to all the farmers who had already built up existing barriers and fences, gave them more land.   The farmer next to me had olive trees that lined what used to be his land.    The developer pushed truck loads of dirt onto his new land with no way for him to move it really, no good way to maintain the land.  Most people put up fences like mine.   He has been trying a little at a time to use his small case tractor with a bucket good for lifting about hay and grass clippings, it’s going slow.   
Tonight I had access to our Deere 333c and figured I would finish off the job for the guy.  Took me an hour to clear the areas level and remove the dirt them pushed to far into the lot.

Learned that my kids are terrible st listening to mom when dad is in equipment, my truck is terrible for towing such things at that weight!
I like driving equipment but no one wants to let me leave my current position to be a “ dumb equipment driver”
Loaded into our dump trailer.  Yes way over the limit of 8k, way out of balance but. Like the UPS. If it fit it ships

Had to play the front and back game to get the rear Jack’s off the ground than back up the skid to lift my truck off of the bump stops.   Yes I need air bags!!! Yes I need to buy a 3500 or a F-350

Dave, you're doing what I am about to start doing.
Towing my Kubota SVL-95-2 in my dump trailer

Now the trailer is rated at 16K, so that's good, but when I last pulled a load of gravel, my truck was actually spinning when taking off from a stop light on an uphill grade. I thought the truck was close to being maxed out.

I too felt like I needed to score a used 1 ton dually or even a 4500-5500 series truck to carry that much weight. So I'm with ya

I will recommend you install those torque lift devices to get more spring earlier. Using them and the bags with 90 psi in them easily supports the tongue weight and prevents the pitching when you hit bumps going down the highway.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: August 20, 2019, 08:53:49 AM »
Good on you Dave.  Will that save the olive tree by not covering up the roots?  Do those trees produce?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A brief write up of the Russian olive tree,
https://morgannews.com/2018/02/09/serious-weed-russian-olive/

This is from the town next to us

The trees are truly terrible in my opinion but the farmer likes the big 4 inch thorns and the hardy plant.     
No produce to enjoy. I have offered to pay to removal cost and the replacement with any tree except those and he continues to decline

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:54 AM »

Now the trailer is rated at 16K, so that's good, but when I last pulled a load of gravel, my truck was actually spinning when taking off from a stop light on an uphill grade. I thought the truck was close to being maxed out.

I too felt like I needed to score a used 1 ton dually or even a 4500-5500 series truck to carry that much weight. So I'm with ya

I will recommend you install those torque lift devices to get more spring earlier. Using them and the bags with 90 psi in them easily supports the tongue weight and prevents the pitching when you hit bumps going down the highway.
That Deere was dry weighted at 12k plus a healthy dose of bucket, I couldn’t even get the trailer brakes to drag.   Stopping was a big issue for it.   Not 100% the dump trailers brakes were even working.   I had a very short distance to go and thank goodness it was pretty late on the drive. 

My motor had plenty of Hp to move it, it didn’t bounce to much or push me around but I am sure that was mostly due to me lack of speed.  Played it safe and stayed about 25mph

Going to borrow a newer ford truck this weekend hopefully and take the same setup for a drive, see and feel the difference as I am pretty set for a newer f-350 this next spring 2012-17

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:49:36 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: August 20, 2019, 01:17:35 PM »

Chief, any chance a lack of tongue weight is what caused the tires to spin? I’ve repositioned more than one piece of equipment due to that very thing.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: August 20, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
Mike has a garage man and rainbows on the wall. hmmmmm
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: August 20, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
Mike has a garage man and rainbows on the wall. hmmmmm

Ken has a garage and an H.......  :tongue:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: August 20, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »
Garage? Mine is still buried but has to be done. Want to finally do my lift. I have everything but new lower control arms. (seems cheaper to get new ones)

Hmm, my dmax pulled 13-14k pretty easy but I never pushed it. That was to Reno from SF area. Was I lucky?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: August 20, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »
All right, yes, hoity toity suburbs supply garage men, usually same name that is on the mortgage though!

Spent the late morning and early afternoon touring the Northside of Chicago - Wrigley Field and had a few beverages at Murphy’s Bleacher Bums outside center field, with Nate.  It was great to meet up with another Real Man moderator to discuss banning and sanctions of Hillary lovers and other knuckle heads!  Tour of Wrigley Field was enjoyable, even for two guys not much into baseball!

Photographic proof for all members named Dave:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:39:52 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: August 20, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
That gave me a really big smile to see.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: August 20, 2019, 06:00:28 PM »
 :likebutton:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
Um JR has taken over The photo for proof. Search it and see

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: August 20, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
Um JR has taken over The photo for proof. Search it and see

Maybe he’s was talking about the other Dave, Dave!  :huh:

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10725 on: August 20, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
Bought myself some work. 200 12x12 pavers for a patio at the river where we park the camper.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: August 20, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »
Saw something interesting a couple days ago. I’ve exhausted my Google fu and can’t find anything about these tires. The stripes are definitely molded into the tires.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:35:18 PM by longball »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: August 21, 2019, 12:29:08 AM »
Maybe they ran over a Sargent?

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:26 AM »
Don’t you mean sergeant?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: August 21, 2019, 06:24:30 AM »
Corpsemen

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: August 21, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »
All right, yes, hoity toity suburbs supply garage men, usually same name that is on the mortgage though!

Spent the late morning and early afternoon touring the Northside of Chicago - Wrigley Field and had a few beverages at Murphy’s Bleacher Bums outside center field, with Nate.  It was great to meet up with another Real Man moderator to discuss banning and sanctions of Hillary lovers and other knuckle heads!  Tour of Wrigley Field was enjoyable, even for two guys not much into baseball!

Nate make you a salad while y’all were there?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: August 21, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »

Nate make you a salad while y’all were there?

My only regret of the meeting was that Nate’s cooking wasn’t involved!  :cry:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: August 21, 2019, 09:42:19 AM »
Corpsemen

Never said he died.   :Shocked

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: August 21, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »
Found’ em. GBC Dirt Commander tires. Sergeant Major stripes I think.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: August 21, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »
The GBC tires I had on my ranger had the the Coors figure on them. They were pretty good tires until they weren't.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: August 21, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
This Dave, that Dave, does it matter.

Waiting for Nate (or anyone else) to make it out this way with all his travels!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: August 21, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
Saw
This and thought of a few of you.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: August 21, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
Hmmmm I wonder why the batwing shredder wouldn't mow? And what's that vibration? A little off balance maybe?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: August 21, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
Saw
This and thought of a few of you.

Nate, these are for you!

Jon, they have some life left in them and they even look pretty sharp.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: August 21, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
This Dave, that Dave, does it matter.

Waiting for Nate (or anyone else) to make it out this way with all his travels!

I love yah JR....but I will NEVER I say again NEVER set foot in that crayon eating, window licking, cant figure out of its an inny or an outy, just needs to fall off into the ocean state EVER again!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10740 on: August 21, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
Cant blame you. I will only go into the real bay area if I have to, hate SF.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:56 PM »
Big enough to admit when I screwed up

Wife called and said her brakes sounded funny, she narrowed it down to stopping, applying light and heavy break, went away when she let off completely.

Hum. 

Well I’ll jack it up when ya get home. Go straight home and I’ll get the kids home

Fixed and added a good amount of torque.   I honestly think I missed it all together but to be safe I verified all other bolts

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: August 21, 2019, 11:41:18 PM »
I did that too, Dave. Bracket to knuckle bolt for me though. Caliper was rubbing against the inside of rim.

Ryan

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:38 AM »
Found’ em. GBC Dirt Commander tires. Sergeant Major stripes I think.

Thanks Dave. Based on their width I thought they were truck tires.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: August 22, 2019, 02:15:51 AM »
Hey, is anyone on here a structural engineer? Looking to add on a patio cover and I’m told that I need engineered plans because of my beam span of 13’6”. Got a quote from a local guy of $1700 to do all the calcs, draw plans, etc and I’m wondering if that’s normal?

Ryan

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: August 22, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »
Not sure about your codes there but some of the lumber yards can run calcs when they sell you the beam. Not sure if that will suffice.

Here you can draw and submit your own plans and for anything outside a span table you have to have a calculation done by someone certified to do so

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:23:25 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: August 22, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »
Yeah, my county has a prescriptive plan for gable-style patio covers that specs a 4x12 beam span up to 12' - my span is 13'6" (house to post). I was always planning to use 6x12 and 6x6 material, and in my highly-logical mind I would think that the additional 18" span would be fine if it is stepped up to a 6x12, but the county wants to see calculations for anything over their prescriptive plan. Then factor in lateral loads and uplift for wind (which we get a bit of) and snow load, I guess I can see their concern...

Here is what the county has:
https://sww-icc.org/Documents/2015%20IRC%20Details/R801-5A_Patio_cover-Gable_Style.pdf

$1700 is just a hard pill to swallow, plus $700 for the permit.

And I prefer to not make it any smaller because I already have holes in my patio for the posts that I formed in when the patio was poured... kind of got the cart before the horse I guess.  :facepalm:

Oh, and here is what I’ve drawn up for those that are interested.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:50:20 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: August 22, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Well

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: August 22, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
Certainly not in your county there Ryan, but give them a shot. they did my remodel plans for $500.

https://planstobuild.com/
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: August 22, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
Thanks Tate, but even with that it seems like I'd probably still have to get engineering.

I reached out to 4 or 5 other engineers today and I'll see what they say.
Ryan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal