Hello Guest

Author Topic: My Cabin Build/Reno  (Read 46531 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: My Cabin Build/Reno
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »
And on to the ceiling...

And all cleaned up.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
That thing is getting to be the taj mahal of cabins, Sam!

If the insurance company thought the chimney was uninsurable, I wonder how they feel about the indoor BBQ with wood walls and ceiling...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2015, 01:23:38 AM »
Lookin good Sam! Using cedar pickets is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2015, 02:34:54 AM »
Darn nice work. I built a fort for my kids from fencing, stuff is great! Stores hate me though as I dig through whole pallet for 50 or so boards.

Finally I see you using insulation! To bad you didn't use a layer on the outside when wrapping it.

I hate getting stitches out, last ones were on both hands. (carpel tunnel)
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2015, 02:41:19 AM »
How do you like your Zodiac? I have been looking at some similar for fishing and such around 10ft. Deciding on .9mm or 1.2mm and solid or air floors.

With that size I can half deflate and make shelf to carry in the top half of my shell. Nice 40+ trolling motor and 2 nice AGMs and I am good for days.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »

If the insurance company thought the chimney was uninsurable, I wonder how they feel about the indoor BBQ with wood walls and ceiling...

It's a "smoke house" totally appropriate to have wood on the inside............(he says to the adjuster)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »

Well, it is outside in the gazebo right...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »
Darn nice work. I built a fort for my kids from fencing, stuff is great! Stores hate me though as I dig through whole pallet for 50 or so boards.

Finally I see you using insulation! To bad you didn't use a layer on the outside when wrapping it.

I hate getting stitches out, last ones were on both hands. (carpel tunnel)
JR, I'm the same, I think up until I got the cedar for the new outhouse, I was one good board for every four I grabbed. It's really bad when you're cheap and fussy huh?

I had considered upping the insulation, but didn't want to go so far as to have to replace windows. And the wood stove is a monster, so a bit of thermal leakage is welcome. Add to it that I enjoy cutting wood for some reason, so I don't really care if I need an extra half cord or whatever the difference would be.

As for the stitches, I just hate them while they're in. I'm one of the weirdo's that tends to just ignore pain, or not even fell most things. Its a blessing and curse all at once. The ones from the knee, could not wait, worst spot I've ever needed sewn up.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »

It's a "smoke house" totally appropriate to have wood on the inside............(he says to the adjuster)
Mike, quite literally a smoke house in the winter. All of the screens get covered in 6 mil poly doubled up. The smoke builds its way down, and I need to open the doors.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2015, 10:29:31 PM »
Well, lets get this show back on the road.
Somewhere soon after here we started to freeze up. While waiting on the ice I began the construction of the new cabinets.

I'm at a loss where the rest are, but here is one towards the end of the build.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2015, 12:54:53 AM »
With the cabinets built and I don't remember if finished, the ice arrived.

So back to work I was.
First up was addressing if there were ants in the north wall, that was already sided when I found them out front.
So I started in the bedroom, gutting out the old cupboards and paneling.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:29 AM »
Then with no ants found, up went the drywall.

And into the kitchen.

It was quite a chore sneaking 1/2" drywall through where 1/4" paneling came from. Had to unhook the wall and slide it out.

At this point we stopped and put things back to a functional state.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:05:44 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:59 AM »
We are now near the end of March, mama is on a school trip to Australia, so now was my time to pounce and surprise her with the new kitchen. I took a few days off, and me and the hounds spent some chaotic time to pull a whirlwind reno.
Into the kitchen with a fury.

Extended the bedroom a few inches.

Then it was time to close it all up and mud.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:07:18 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2015, 01:10:15 AM »
Primed and ready for paint. Looks like it was toast time!

In come the new base cabinets.

And stove back in place.

The all important it better be in the right spot moment.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:17:33 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
And it looks like it will work.

In went the rest of the lowers.

And for the time being, the old countertop was put back on.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:21:18 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
Walls were then hit with some color, top permanized, and sink drains plumbed to one side for bucket delivery.

New top found its home on this side, doors and drawers in.

And some form of normal has been achieved.

And the uppers installed.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:26:30 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2015, 02:43:26 AM »
Happy wife, happy life!!!

I remember doing the same on my moms kitchen when she had knee replacements done. She has a better kitchen than we!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
Wow nice work Sam. Looks great

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
I love doing stuff for the wife as a surprise. Looks good buddy.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Nice work Sam

Appreciate you sharing
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks all.
The sharing is part of what this is about. Everyone has questions about stuff, hopefully it helps someone out. Sometime seeing is half the battle.
Some of this stuff has been new to me, my friend Google sent me to some places for info.
So now maybe here is some for the rest.

I've still got a long way to go, and will keep it going as time permits.
Cheers!
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
So to finish out the north wall all that was left was the last bedroom.

Time to prime and paint.

And beds back in.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Now some not so much cabin reno, we have some pretty hearty birds that winter with us.
We know them as Whiskey Jacks, I believe the are part of the Jay family. They will take just about anything that is food.

Loading up the feeder with some old bread.

And the feeding frenzy that ensues...

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
And then we had some four legged visitors.
There were several herds, probably totaling 2-300 caribou.
They normally don't frequent the lake, but every so often they do swing over it on their migrations.

We then jumped on the skidoo, as mama has never seen them alive! LOL.
Pics are blurry, but can't help it at 30 MPH bouncing across the ice.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »
So with winter 2014 almost in the books, we spent as long as possible and then gave up for the thaw.

When break up hit, it was time for a new dock. the old one, seen here, was too narrow (5 feet) and the floats were shot.

So, a couple loads of supplies from the city, and we're under construction.
The new sections are 8' X 22'ish, reclaimed lightweight roofing trusses.

The floats, in the plywood boxes on the far section, are filled with blue Styrofoam SM. (+/- 1800 pound floatation per)

I elected for 'wheels' on the dock to aid in installation and removal from the water when it does come back.

And here they are all joined up, now it looks size large.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
With a new day calling, on to the decking of the dock.

And all decked out and trimmed.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
So with the new dock anchored on the crib, it was time for an overhaul of that pieced together ball of crap.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »
My plan for the summer of 2014 was to actually enjoy it, and as such the dock was my only 'planned' job.
I almost forgot to fish most of the summer of '13, and that was NOT happening again.
So for the most part, I relaxed and enjoyed the summer, and then we decided to put in a new fire pit.

Don't ever let anyone tell you a blade on a quad can't move dirt.
Now I made the plow, and I strap it so it can't tip out at times too, so at some point 'they' will be right, but for now...

Not the most level block job, but sand/gravel is scarce, so I said to heck with it.

My Mom and Dad were up for a visit, and got put to work a bit.
Yes, that poor Komatik even is used in the summer.

And done!

If it weren't for one stone under the high block it wouldn't have been too bad, it was huge, and wouldn't budge.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
We had to jack the roof on the cabin also this summer, and with ma and pa there what better time, more eyes and ears.

I don't have any pictures of this for some reason.

When the original owner built the place, he also built the rafters.
But instead of diagonal bracing like most have he only put in verticals.
So fast forward some years, and the roof load caused the rafters and ceiling to sag.

So with not much of a plan in place, other than I was going to jack the ceiling and glue/screw plywood gussets to the rafters we began. I crawled into the attic and measured the important dimensions for the plywood gussets.
then four sheets of 1/2" plywood were cut into eight wedges about 3 foot to one foot taper.

I have four jack stands for leveling mobile homes, so they became the lifting fixture.
Remember the 2 X 6 beams, well two of them 16 feet long became the thrust plate on the ceiling.
add a 4 X 4 post from the jack to the beam, and what could go wrong?

So with the lifting plan in place and all clamped and screwed together strategically placed on the floor beams, and the rafter verticals we tightened up the jack screws. The plan was to do a couple turns on each, go outside look at the roofline, repeat.

After a few round of this insanity, I stayed outside, and relayed info to my dad inside running the jacks.
We lifted a little over four inches, and dad said it was getting tough. Not wanting to take the roof off the walls, I called it there, and headed into the attic. It was 10 am, already 85* outside, and I don't even want to guess at the attic temp.
About half way through, dad asked you coming out to take a break, Um NO, if I come out I'm done. So he kept bringing the plywood wedges, and a bottle of water or Gatorade each trip.

So with all eight in place, I quickly scurried out and jumped in the lake. WOW was it cold! I guess I was just that overheated, but it was great.

Once I dried up, we took some more measurements, and lowered the jacks. The sag back was less than 1/2", so success!
The roof still wasn't perfect, but it was now solid not springy, and the ceiling looked like a ceiling again.

I think the pucker factor had something to do with the lack of camera now that I think about it.

More to come once I find the newer pictures!
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
Wow! More work! Like said before, thanks for sharing!

Firepit looks nice, but why didn't you overlap the blocks?

NRA Life Member

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
I don't exactly remember, I think it was to do with interlocking bits that meant the straight stack.
I'm going to have to look now though.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
I would say it's just from some crappy drunken craftsmenship from where I'm sittin' !!!

Just kidding Sam....can you tell I'm a bit jealous?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
Nothing better than sitting near some water enjoying a beverage with a fire. Good work man! I am sure you will have many enjoyable nights there!

Of course now if you're like me your eyes will be drawn to the straight line in the block edges haha. Just pop another wobblypop and enjoy the fire.  ;D

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
I looks like a common roman stack like what I've got. they usually have a ridge in the tops of the block and then a cap set that fits over the top, so there is no need to stagger?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »
Sam, I lost track for a while but glad I got caught up.  Really making good progress.  Fire pits are not an option where you are.  I guess you can have a fire almost 9 months a year!

Keep the updates coming
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
I like the fire pit.

That is a big dock. Is there a yard just for making docks on the island? Does the wood get replaced every few years or is the water cold enough to keep it?

Speaking of jacking up a ceiling, I know the feeling!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
sam, I f your on here, does that mean that you didn't do well at your shooting thing?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
JR, the 'yard' as it appeared is the marina area. Built on the parking lot so to speak.
I actually had to build another section this year. The water was very low, about a foot deep at the end vice the normal six to seven of normal. By the time I had it made we had come back up, and I didn't hook it on. Would have upped the sketch factor considerably going another 20 feet, but I have it now if need be. A lot of the other guys were disconnecting and dragging out, so the extra I have paid off.

Nate, I'm just back now. Was a great couple weeks, way too hot for my liking, high 80's and better with 600% humidity. Absolutely gross for me, but just soldiered on through it.
I did well, placed third overall in my class. We only shoot against the other Rangers, as the bolt guns and iron sights at up to 500m are a a little disadvantage.

Now I just need to figure out how to aim a little smaller to top out. The fella that won, again, is one heck of a shot. He's beatable, but man was he on his game this year. I had a blow out match which should have hurt me more than it did, but that's shooting.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2015, 03:59:46 AM »
Got it. Build on their site and tow it over?

Got my little 13ft registered today and want to try it out before it gets to cold.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »
That's correct. I was able to squeeze in the water side to build. Problem was, I had to be done before we put the marina docks in, beat them by a few days, so I was happy to not be in the way...lol.
The wood actually holds up well with a bit of maintenance.
I used treated lumber, and it has taken until now for it to 'wear' enough to need a retreat.
Been so busy, and fighting rain every couple days, that I have not put on the Thompsons Water seal I have for it.
I expect with a little upkeep, the dock will outlast my time up north. (We're not sure on plans, but could stick out another 15 years or so)
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
I meant the wood around the foam. I take it that is not a block of foam surrounded by wood, it is just a mold.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
Ah, gotcha.
The plywood, 'should' last quite a while.
The foam is 3" styrofoam SM, the wood just holds it in.
The wood is held in by an angle iron frame.
The old dock, was the original, circa 1995-ish, and was still original.
I think I may need to find some steel banding at some point, but it should also be GTG.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
So I found a couple pictures of the 'roof raise'.

Everything measured up to be on beams under the floor.

And the first of the two beams up that pressed against the roof.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
That basically wrapped up the summer projects, and with winter underway, we talked ourselves into getting a sauna.
Getting being me building...

So here's a 12 x 8 sauna being delivered...

I had the floor joist material already out there, left overs from the dock, this is everything else.

Spring started to roll in, and one weekend it was 'nice' enough to begin. Think it was low 20's.

Floor is insulated with 4" Styrofoam, held in with cleats underneath.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »
With the floor done, it was on to the walls...

And just like that there was a 12 x 8 building framed up.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »
I made my own trusses, here just getting ready to start them.

And up they went, roof sheeted in, and tarped as it was going to rain...

And beginning the rough in of the electrical, not real complex, few lights and switches...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:37:24 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
In went the insulation, and now the frugal me is T&G'ing cedar fence boards.

I couldn't get the legit foil/craft paper in time, so I made my own. It is used for vapor barrier in saunas, as poly will break down from the heat. I wish I had got the real stuff, this way was a major pain in the butt.

Seams all taped up, and the first of the cedar boards going in.

Ceiling nearing completion.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:37:58 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
Ceiling done, walls all ready, welcome to the foil room!

And on with the walls.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »
Once I hit this point spring was upon us, and I boarded up the doorway to await the thaw.

Back by boat, and on went the Tyvek, shingles, chimney and finishing begins.

And we have a real door now.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
Somewhere, on some device, dang it, are the rest of the pictures...

Stay tuned, more will come...
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal