Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1354384 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2200 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
Today I built another set of saw horses. Had some scrap material layin around, and got these brackets. Don't plan on collapsing them so I beefed them up with some plywood bracing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: January 01, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
Not today but Friday, I lined up with a 2016 duramax and rolled my window down to chat with the nice grey haired man.  I asked if he liked it? Yes very much. Do you think it was worth the cost at $70k? Yes very much again, it was loaded at $61k, so for sure that was nicer. I asked about his power. He explained that he had my 07 before the new truck and he thinks the new track has more after tuning, he asked if I wanted to try.  Of course with my son in the passenger seat I had to.   So we drug it out to catch the next light.   Man they do put down some power, with a big tune of 150 and my transmission that matches, he was able to keep nose to nose and his truck ran clean as clean could be while mine blacked out the whole block.  Now we didn't do the whole boosted 4x4 launching business. But just a straight mash the gas and go.   Now all I can think about it that next new truck I want

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 02, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »
Worked on the Dash lights again without success. Dash lights work, see thread,,,,,,,,,,,,

Got these nice saw horses for Christmas. Supper strong and has a slot for a 2x4 for cutting or making a solid work table.

Also got a 1000 watt 4 stroke gen for myself. Sale online at HD for just $150 (under 1/2 price). Weighs under 20lbs and quiet. Will do a followup report as I use it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 02, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Packed the truck to take my daughter quail hunting in So. MO for a couple days and out to eat at some place that's the home of Thrown Rolls.....whatever its name is.....supposed to be good and a novelty that she ought to remember!  Don't know if she'll shoot any quail, but we'll teach her to shoot some clays and see how her interest progresses after watching her dogs - might even do it off horseback!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 02, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Sounds like fun Mike. Today I cleaned out the attic of home base after having cleaned out the garage yesterday. Drove the wife's GL after $4000 worth of repairs (oil cooler, glow plug controller, new windshield and an air strut) and pronounced it cured. It left no more oil on the garage floor. Installed the bed cover for the Dually and that went really easy. Just not sure if I can get the tool box lid up enough to fill the fuel tank but we'll see when I reinstall it in a couple weeks.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: January 02, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
Drove the oldest with her Christmas haul back to NYC. Just got back. Always nice when she visits and hard when she goes back, but I'm happy for her. And driving her meant she has all her stuff with her right now and also no six hour train, subway marathon for her to get back there. Now I'm crashed on the couch. It was fine going down but dragged coming back in the rain and traffic.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 02, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
TRN, looks nice.

Put the snow shoes on wife's Lexus today, with forecast showing up to 8" in the next couple of days thought it would be good insurance. She has quite a few miles to drive in that time frame as well.

Tried going to indoor range with wife, neg 2.5 hour wait for a lane. Everyone trying out new Christmas presents I guess. I'm not that patient.

Mom goes home tomorrow after three week visit and add to the fact I was at her place for over a week prior to that I'm very happy to see her go. Love mom but I do have a limit too.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 03, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
TexasRedNeck I sent you a message the other day but I was on Tap talk on my tablet. I was wondering if you seen it yet. I didn't realize that was different than sending one on here.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 03, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »
Good for you Nate!
I won't break the glass, but I might pour one and give you a toast!
(I have some great , giving, customers)

Sent from a spaceship

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
Jon I'm on my phone and I don't see a message, but then I may not know where to look!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 03, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Bought this; http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30820U8459920&name=Alexandria+PRO-FAB+.308%2f7.62X51+Upper+Receiver+Group+20in.+Barrel&search=barrel

Figured I may as well for that price and always wanted a 308. Less glass I can see a $750 end product.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 03, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
JR that's one truck payment

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: January 04, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »
That should be a house payment!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 04, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
That should be a house payment!

more than mine.. but according to norms definitions, i'm not sure if it's for a barn or shed.. hahaha

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
finished up the polaris today. duracell is proud of their batteries (mine was completely dry.. charging at 9volts at idle and 18-19 at WOT.. no bueno).. and that was after a new voltage regulator. so.. new battery, voltage regulator, fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter blown out, upper and lowe steering shaft bushings, inner and outer ball joints on both sides, choke cable handle, left handle bar switch disassembled and cleaned, ingition switch cleaned, all electrical connections scuffed and dielectric greased, fresh paint and a new tail light bulb.. here she is

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
Very nice

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 05, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »
Looks good and the paint job matches great.

Oil change on the max, new air filter and loaded my DSP5 back in for the trip. Updated the tomtom.

Finished a locking cabinet in the garage since sodas keep disappearing and I keep finding them empty. Fits under the drip tray of the SS sink. Going to add a shelf and drawer next.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 05, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Jon I'm on my phone and I don't see a message, but then I may not know where to look!

Oh I was just wondering why you had to change your front driveshaft.
      I've been pulling my hair out looking for a vibration in my 07. I did U joints and carrier bearing. Found a bad tire on the back then that vibration went away. Awsome.
     Then I got one so bad in the front that I thought the whole front end was going to fall apart. Couldn't drive I over 45 or 50 and prayed I made home. I pulled my front driveshaft off and the front vibration went away but the one in back returned.
We thought that the front bearing in the transfer case was bad. Until yeasterday I had my bosses Z71 in the shop and his front driveshaft dont have anymore play than mine does.
      I've thrown $800 at it so far and accomplished nothing. I got fed up with it, shoved a rag in the hole the front driveshaft goes in and went truck shopping.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:41:51 AM by Farmer Jon »

OldKooT

« Reply #2218 on: January 05, 2017, 07:38:16 AM »
Jon....ya don't have a front diff problem do you? That's not super uncommon on those.

Seth: The Polaris looks nice.... I will ship you whats left of our 425 Magnum to restore if your bored LoL

We spent last night pushing snow with Patch...then about 5am this morning started Patch at 0degrees or so and went and pushed some more. Dropped my wife at work, and I am now contemplating doing absolutely nothing else this morning. Me and the Schnauzer dog are watching hunting Hitler and sipping ice water.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
Jon. When the bus was mall crawler par excellence, the 12 inch lift required a longer driveshaft. I wanted to sell the shaft with the kit so I left it off  and had a hard time finding a replacement.  Well a replacement for less than an arm and a leg. Finally found an all original from an 01 with the 8.1L off eBay for $120 shipped. Even with the lift I'm able to drive 50 with no vibrations 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: January 05, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
Jon the shaft doesn't spin when not in 4WD. I'd start with a known good set of wheels and tires. Maybe off the Z71. Eliminate the easy things first. I recommend a one piece driveshaft for the rear.  Get rid off all that un necceary crap. If you eliminate those then I'd look at the front diff. If the front shaft joints look good.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
I'm putting the front drive shaft back on this weekend see if I can recreate the problem. Pay closer attention to what's going this time. I wanted to go the one piece route on the rear but I didn't have the funds. Money is really tight right now. My second oldest son moved back home over Christmas vacation. Hes too much like me and couldent get along with his mother. That and lets just say he fell in a bad crowd and was headed down a bad path. He didn't get in trouble yet ( got very very lucky)  but was well on his way. We are not redoing the child support because the courts are so slow by the time it changes I will done paying on him and just have my daughter to pay on. Then it will change again. He had his first day of his new school today and he said it went really well. He's been accepted to Milford collage for auto mechanics so we just need to get him to keep his nose clean and get him graduated. Sorry im rambling now.

OldKooT

« Reply #2222 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
Milford is a good school..I know a few of the instructors over there, stand up fellas.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: January 05, 2017, 08:25:56 PM »
Good luck Jon...I hope he finds a path that works for him.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
Jon....ya don't have a front diff problem do you? That's not super uncommon on those.

Seth: The Polaris looks nice.... I will ship you whats left of our 425 Magnum to restore if your bored LoL

We spent last night pushing snow with Patch...then about 5am this morning started Patch at 0degrees or so and went and pushed some more. Dropped my wife at work, and I am now contemplating doing absolutely nothing else this morning. Me and the Schnauzer dog are watching hunting Hitler and sipping ice water.

send it on.. i'm about to have my very own shop/barn/shed to do something in

house pics to come..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
He's a good kid and smart. A and B student. He may not like the restrictions we have in place right now but I think he knows it's for his own good. He has a lot to prove to earn our trust back but I have no doubt he will turn out just fine.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 05, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
How much snow did you get Koot? We only got an inch or so up here.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »
We in Utah have about ten inches in the last two days and it is great!!! Thumbs up for the nitto tires on the truck

OldKooT

« Reply #2228 on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
We may have gotten 4" not any more. Lots of drifting with the wind but no big deal.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 05, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »
That's not so bad. I can do without the 10 Dave got. I know we probably got at least one more big one coming before winter is through with us.

OldKooT

« Reply #2230 on: January 05, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
Tonight is -15 F they claim...I probably should plug Patch in. One draw back to these Cummins, takes half a day of working it to warm it up LoL

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 05, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
I was going to go to Ft Calhoun and get some more lime but I left the side dump dumped over night and oil was so thick I couldn't get it back down.  By the time it warmed up we were busy doing other stuff. I got it in the shop tonight. I want to get a couple loads done tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:02:41 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
Tonight is -15 F they claim...I probably should plug Patch in. One draw back to these Cummins, takes half a day of working it to warm it up LoL

that's just too dang cold. good grief..

it's balmy 35 here. that's.. +* for all you midwesterns.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
Ended up -5 here. I'm doing any trucking in this cold. If it were a paying job I'd be gone by now. I'm hauling our own stuff and we have time.

OldKooT

« Reply #2234 on: January 06, 2017, 07:15:49 AM »
Airport n banks say -12F here...nice breeze also. Patch lit right up, but the frozen brakes protested a lot when I drove off.

Chores are done so I imagine another long drab day inside, "splinter" the Schnauzer dog keeps trying to sleep closer n closer to the fireplace LoL (it's not burning)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: January 06, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
Jon the shaft doesn't spin when not in 4WD. I'd start with a known good set of wheels and tires. Maybe off the Z71. Eliminate the easy things first. I recommend a one piece driveshaft for the rear.  Get rid off all that un necceary crap. If you eliminate those then I'd look at the front diff. If the front shaft joints look good.

See I was told it does spin sometimes. What do I have to do to check that front diff? Pull the cover off and see Whats in there I suppose.

I did go look at a dodge yesterday. 2011 160k for $26,000.

My truck has 136,000 they said they could only give me $14,000 for trade. 16 at most. I had to contain myself before telling them what hole to shove thier offer.

I keep dumping money in mine and I'm afraid if I get differant older truck I'm going to have to dump money in that too. I should be able to get away with a hemi then I can afford a newer truck but everyone keeps pushing the cummins because I pull a 10,000 pound camper.

I do not like the 08-13 chevy trucks at all. They took the same thing I have and made them ugly and the seats uncomfortable. My boss has a 13 and absoutly hate it. That's why I'm looking at dodge.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 06, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
When I was casually looking at upgrading my lb7 they offered $8k. I literally just got up and walked out. "sir?"...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 06, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
14K definitely seems low but 16K doesn't seem to outlandish for a trade-in value. 

I am looking to downgrade right now actually.  I don't need the diesel.  The current truck is an ext cab and a crew would be nice for the baby seat etc.. when we go up north.  I have a lien on the current vehicle and I think I should be able to get rid of it, pay-off the remaining balance and purchase a decent crew cab 1/2 ton with what's left.  The trade-in values dealers are giving me knowing I am looking at a significantly cheaper vehicle are hilarious.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
With a car seat you need a crew cab. I tried shoving one in an extended cab. It only worked in the middle and it was a huge pain.

I got my pickup on the lift this morning. Put the rear end on jack stands and ran it up to 40 mph. The vibration was so bad my mirrors were shaking. Right rear tire wobbling like crazy. It did that at the dealer the day I had it in. Rebalanced it still did it so I put on a new tire. I think I have a bent rim. That could be the root of all my problems. All I can do is throw the spare on after dinner and see what happens.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 06, 2017, 07:01:41 PM »
Friggin drive shaft. I knew I should have gotten the one piece. I got the pickup on jack stands. Took the wheel I thought was bad to town. We broke it down put just the wheel on the balencer. Looked good. Remounted the tire. Re balanced. This is a brand new tire mind you. Put back on the truck. Ran it on the stands. Got my brother watching and its wiggling a little not like it was. I pull both rear wheels off and run it. Got little brother under there with a straight edge on the driveshaft. He yells out hey your driveshaft is fu***d. Well atleast I figured it out.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 07, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »
Don blocked out the poison ivy thread,    I washed the wife's car in 0 degree weather  today

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
Finished cutting down the 8" birch tree that was my target stand for the 9.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 08, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »
I mentioned before that my second oldest moved back in with us. His mother will not let him have his car. Its in her name but he put a bunch of money in it. I don't agree with it but nothing i can do about it. I'm done fighting with her.
 I came across  a really nice 86 Buick for $250 bucks. Only thing is it needed a timing chain. I've never done one before so I had a buddy come over and help. The kid wants to be a mechanic so we made him do alot of it himself. No complaints he dug right in. It runs real smooth now. Its going to be a good car for him.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:08:14 PM by Farmer Jon »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 08, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
psst....dont tell Don I'm still posting while banned....

Bible study today with the extended family.  Off on a 3 cities in 3 days business trip starting bright and early tomorrow.  Dallas, Minneapolis and Phoenix.....

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 08, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
Pretty quiet weekend at the cabin.
Took the 45 for a spin with some reloads. Need more power was the verdict.
Then found this little gem in my tree stump.

I guess I key holed that one for real...

Here's the other end view too.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:30:38 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Now that is pic proof.........!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 08, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
I started a petition @ change.org to oppose a high density apartment project proposal within eye sight of my back deck. Pretty interesting in 8 hours it has garnered almost 300 votes. Guess I need to attend the planning commission meeting Tuesday evening. For the record would rather be watching my 14 year old play basketball but I opened a can of worms by trying to unite our local voice against the big bad corporate greed..... :huh:

Edit: if you want to sign here is a link! :popcorn:

https://www.change.org/p/town-of-erie-co-planning-commission-opposition-to-proposed-copper-ranch-apartment-development?recruiter=333966367&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Sorry, figured if I didn't post a pic like document Bobby would be saying it was a rule to do so shortly! :grin:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:13:14 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »

Almost done with building a propane forge out of a propane tank. This is the beginning of a couple months worth of work, in spare time.

Sent from a spaceship

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
you tryin to learn you how to make knives there ken?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 09, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »

Almost done with building a propane forge out of a propane tank. This is the beginning of a couple months worth of work, in spare time.

Sent from a spaceship

Cool, where's the build thread?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal