Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build Part 5  (Read 51780 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build Part 5
« Reply #550 on: November 06, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »
Almost 160 on mine and time for all the goodies too.

Don, do you get it by the barrel? Might save a lot!
JR,
No, by the gallon. But I am set up on special pricing and a farm owner so my discounts are deep. THe only thing I can't take serious savings on is diesel fuel. (Red diesel)

I also thought it out. I don't use it at a rate that I'd feel comfortable with getting it out of an unsealed drum. When you break the factory seal, you do introduce air (moisture) and on a farm setting the chances of dust and rain are much higher. For those reasons I like keeping a shelf full of gallon jugs. I keep hydraulic oil in 5 and 2 gallon cans because that's about how much leaks before I first notice the leak happening.

I started keeping a 55 gallon of waste. Without all the farm equipment oil changes I filled it inside 2 years. Now with the excavator gobbling up 6 gallons at a time I might cross a threshold. At some point I am going to start using it as fuel, although admittedly 55 gallons is 3.5-4 days of Kubota CTL time or maybe 1.5 days of excavator time, so not a large dent, but something...

Full circle: No 55 gallon drums of the fresh stuff...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
The love of a duramax, unbeatable really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Concur. These are really high quality good trucks. Comfortable to drive, powerful, good looking, but not so easy to park...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 06, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
Almost 160 on mine and time for all the goodies too.

Don, do you get it by the barrel? Might save a lot!
JR,
No, by the gallon. But I am set up on special pricing and a farm owner so my discounts are deep. THe only thing I can't take serious savings on is diesel fuel. (Red diesel)

I also thought it out. I don't use it at a rate that I'd feel comfortable with getting it out of an unsealed drum. When you break the factory seal, you do introduce air (moisture) and on a farm setting the chances of dust and rain are much higher. For those reasons I like keeping a shelf full of gallon jugs. I keep hydraulic oil in 5 and 2 gallon cans because that's about how much leaks before I first notice the leak happening.

I started keeping a 55 gallon of waste. Without all the farm equipment oil changes I filled it inside 2 years. Now with the excavator gobbling up 6 gallons at a time I might cross a threshold. At some point I am going to start using it as fuel, although admittedly 55 gallons is 3.5-4 days of Kubota CTL time or maybe 1.5 days of excavator time, so not a large dent, but something...

Full circle: No 55 gallon drums of the fresh stuff...

Square D would run real nice on the used motor oil/Hyd fluid

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »
I can't believe it, but the morimoto HID lights are on the blink...Literally.

So tonight I took C-Max over to the truck wash to get it all cleaned up and pretty for the drive to my sisters house. Returning home, at night, I noticed the headlights flickering. When I got home I had some weird blinking thing going on. the drivers low beam would flicker, then extinguish. Then it would come back on and the passenger side would wink out. they will blink back and forth alternating sides like a police car does.

Then on top of that the Amp steps stopped working, sort of. They will extend like half of the time, then just ratchet in the eextended position. THen they will close and stop working, all while the headlights are blinking. I was wondering if we picked up some demonic possession at the truck wash. So I can't say it's the headlights or the steps causing the problem, or something else in the electrical system. The alt gage shows a constant charge and I checked all the connections and found them to be OK. But I'm flat worn out, and I'm not messing with it any more until after turkey day!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
How are your batteries and alternator? Didn’t you replace the former fairly recently?

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 22, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »
EMP?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »
Sounds like a grounding issue

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 22, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
Better park it and leave the windows down and hood up

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 22, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Yep, grounds do real funny things.

Park it by SD and drive the sub.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 22, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
EMP?
What does my daughter have to do with this? (Those are her initials) ;)

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
How are your batteries and alternator? Didn’t you replace the former fairly recently?

Batteries are, what a year old at the most and the alternator is showing the same spot on the ammeter in the cockpit that it always has.
But there is something connecting the two seemingly unrelated problems, lights and AMP steps.

So last night I left my sisters house in the mountains of KY at 2230. (Read: really winding roads WAAY down in a valley, errr, a hollar) When I fired up C-Max I had one light, the right one (Please take note that the left was the first to cave whilst the right reported for duty!)

But as I proceeded along and we got to the place in the roads where goblins and susquach hang out the light began to dim. It got all the way down to the output of a candle, then it too died. My right soldier was obviously mortally wounded and must have been hemorrhaging, but fought the good fight and stood his post till the very end, a moment of silence please...

So, I'm not knowin' what the hay is ah-goin on here, but I started the repair process by praying over the truck. On the outside chance that some demonic spirit was hitchin' a ride, I claimed authority, legal authority over the Silvy and cast out anything that shouldn't be there. I later noted that a bag of oatmeal cookies fell out mysteriously about that time...Weird! (I just made that last part up, but U gotta admit, it sure reads well, eeh? (Or is that ehh??)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 23, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Sounds like a grounding issue

It does, but the morimoto ballasts and so forth have no special grounds that I know of...

I'll go look at the regular grounds. I already loosened all battery connections, and checked for corrosion and tightness of fittin'...GTG!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 23, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »
EMP?
You stand officially abnonished...somethin' short of actual firin' for makin' fun of the situation and not offerin' any helpful suggestions! I'll come up with a suitable punishment at a future date...Something like having to monitor the "Dave named people who hang out there."...or worse...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 23, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
Nothin to add other than I despise electrical gremlins....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 23, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Id say quit fiddle fartin around with that type of bulb set up!

Put the OE back in the truck and either get a light bar or hook your lights on your front bumper to the high beam switch for mo light?

Thats sarge's recommendation.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 23, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
I agree with Nate, nothing but headaches from those lights. Run trucklites or oem....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 23, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »

Put the OE back in the truck and either get a light bar or hook your lights on your front bumper to the high beam switch for mo light?

Although I seldom if ever listen to Sergeants, you may have a point, Sarge!

Seems I have never had a straight 6 months-year without problems with the LED's, HID's and the rest of the junk out there.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 23, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »

Finally someone with some sense.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 23, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »
OK, considering the Sergeant's advise and the well thought out advice of so many others, I threw all that nonsense out the window!

Yep, Just ordered a set of OPti-7 bulbs for it, and both sets for the Suburban

Know why?

I finally figured out why the darned things were failing so often

Reason: DRL's

Yep, safety nazi stuff.

You see the DRL's drive the headlights but at a lower voltage to produce a dimmer light

When you have LED's, the LED part of the bulb will work on a variety of voltage, going quite low, they will still burn atoms and gluons and quark particles and anti-matter. But

and like Hillary, it's a big but,

The fans in those LED's take 12 volts to cool the little trons zingin' about on the inside.

Reduced voltage would mean those fans which turn up to around 10,000 RPM are running much faster, but the volcano/rocket motor on top of the stack is still grinding out the BTU's.

The perfect recipe for electronic mayhem. Run the stuff, but fail to cool it

Solution: Pull the DRL fuse and voila, the LED's now only run when they have sufficient voltage.

Or at least that's what I think.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 23, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
I want to see how those work. I have tried a few LEDs and with the led being a SMD I have found less than stellar performance. However I did not go for the high end stuff either.

I think an led would be great with the correct housing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 23, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
In the dually I bought true Phillips HiD kit from Europe. It was pricey like 220$

But in more than 4 years I never had an ounce of trouble out of them. I did also pull the DRL fuse

Not so for the flea bay hids in the fogs

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal