Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3  (Read 69573 times)

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #850 on: May 21, 2019, 08:10:05 AM »
For some reason when I was looking at the auctions the auctions this morning, this axle made me think of Don.  It would look really good under that suburban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Don. Still not clear on what was used for e brake when that axle was made. I also have to believe someone somewhere has service manuals or other detailed info on the original configuration.

Oh, sorry I missed your point.

It had a hydraulic trap like most aircraft do. Press on the brake, pull a handle or rotate a valve trapping the pressure and you're all set.

That is what i will go to in the event I cannot get this factory E-brake (primary system) to work
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »
They may have used separate spot calipers for parking brake was my thinking. Two separate systems, one for parking and one for stopping. Granted parking can always be used for stopping in emergency.
That seems logical, but the calipers were teed together as in working off of a single pressure source. I have thought of doing that, but with twice the piston volume...master cyl sizing...added weight...Burb doesn't need that much brake...and other reasons, I want to stay as close to stock as I can.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
You wouldn't need to run fluid to the caddy caliper once it was pressurized.  I believe those pistons don't retract after closing the pad gap. ..they have a threaded ratchet type mechanism and iirc the ebrake lever is adjustable..a splines shaft. Been a while since I dealt with those...same as vette.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
You wouldn't need to run fluid to the caddy caliper once it was pressurized.  I believe those pistons don't retract after closing the pad gap. ..they have a threaded ratchet type mechanism and iirc the ebrake lever is adjustable..a splines shaft. Been a while since I dealt with those...same as vette.

I believe that is correct.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 21, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »

True, did them on a 9.5 axle, worked great. Not sure if they are rated for the 8k sub though!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 21, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »

True, did them on a 9.5 axle, worked great. Not sure if they are rated for the 8k sub though!

They are a 3/4 ton front truck caliper essentially, same piston size just has built in ebrake capability

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 21, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
Being they are from an 70-80 el dorado front (not a light car) they might be fine for the rear then.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 21, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »
I'll have to look at this setup Shawn.

Perhaps if the stock stuff won't fit are we thinking of just running another caliper on the same rotor with the bolt spacing I currently have?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 21, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
So have the dash bezel reinstalled, and the interior cleaned after accumulating a bunch of junk

But when I went to find the floor mats, the weather tech things, I couldn't find them

They were next to some stuff I told the pre-rangers to throw away last Sunday night

Yep

Guess I'll be purchasing some new floor mats!!!!!!!!

Suggestions??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
The caliper parts turned out OK, but when i worked on them today I buggered up the paint a little bit, so they got touched up. This is before that happened

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 21, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
New hardware

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 21, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »
The stainless brake pad guide bars were cleaned up and reinstalled along with assembly grease

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
The pads came with the rotors, so good enough, I don't have to figure out which compound to run.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 21, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
A wear comparison. New on the left "Old" on the right

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 21, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »

Perhaps if the stock stuff won't fit are we thinking of just running another caliper on the same rotor with the bolt spacing I currently have?

Might be an option, but need to go over some dimensions of things when you’re near it probably.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 21, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Two renewed calipers ready to go back on...Now where are those hubs??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 21, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »

Might be an option, but need to go over some dimensions of things when you’re near it probably.
If I do this, do you have the calipers and kit stuff or just the stuff minus the calipers??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
The mounting plates are now rust proofed.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
I'll still need to figure out how I want to mount the brake line hardware. I am hoping I can just drill and tap a couple of holes to mount the brackets. That is first up tomorrow.

And, yes, I have all new brake hoses.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 21, 2019, 10:05:48 PM »

If I do this, do you have the calipers and kit stuff or just the stuff minus the calipers??

I can supply all or partial let’s talk and we’ll figure best course. Maybe tomorrow?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 21, 2019, 10:10:10 PM »

I can supply all or partial let’s talk and we’ll figure best course. Maybe tomorrow?
Sure, sounds like a plan

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 21, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »
And genemens that's all I got done today. Ran around more than half a day chasing after this misfire in my mower. I have that Briggs Vanguard big block 32 HP engine which had this weird miss and backfire. The miss would change from the left to the right, disappear, then come back.

We rebuilt the carb, twice. Replaced a coil, adjusted the valves, twice, changed out spark plugs, twice and no tomato!

We did compression tests wet and dry. 120 psi dry on both sides, not much more wet so all that is good. I was about to start pulling down the motor when today I discovered two diodes that are wired between each coil and the kill switch. Two tiny diodes. They fit in a wire harness consisting of three wires and maybe 18" in length. So no worries, I thought I'd just replace that harness.

Well I run off to one small engine shop and they are no longer selling Briggs stuff. I call another one. They need the motor serial number. I drive to my son in law's place to get the numbers. We share the thing. I get the wrong numbers and drive 20 miles to a scag dealer. He says he can order it and it would cost $54 + $9 in shipping.

Over $60 for two dollars worth of diodes and wire. No freakin way, so I drive home and really start researching the reason they are there in the first place. They are used to ground out the coils to kill the motor. But wait, this motor has a fuel solenoid valve as well.

So I get the idea to just remove the diodes and tape off the wire ends and that's what I did. When we fired it up, it ran, but ran funny. So one more time we checked the spark plugs with a tester and the right coil seemed weak. So on a bet we swapped the old coil out for the other old coil and just like that we had a whole bunch of power and one sweet running engine.

Then I cut my 8" tall grass and with all that time blown. I had very little remaining to work on Ravin8

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
So have the dash bezel reinstalled, and the interior cleaned after accumulating a bunch of junk

But when I went to find the floor mats, the weather tech things, I couldn't find them

They were next to some stuff I told the pre-rangers to throw away last Sunday night

Yep

Suggestions??

Not weather tech. Try the Husky liners.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 21, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »

Yep

Suggestions??

off to look at them...

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 21, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »
The big thing about weathertech that drives me absolutely nuts is they don’t have the nubs on the bottom to keep them from sliding around. That, and their “laser fit” tends to pull away from the trim and not fit as tight as they did when new.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #876 on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:55 PM »

Yep

Suggestions??

I’d like to see a review on these also.  My weather junks are a mess in the mommobile

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:35:31 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 22, 2019, 12:11:02 AM »
I got a set of huskies for the burb, they were crap. Paper thin and had like a 2 inch lip along the door.

Maybe that was because this thing is 30 years old, but they went back.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 22, 2019, 12:36:53 AM »
I have a set of weather tech mats in my burb. They are all warped and fit like crap now.

I wish someone would make a set of floor trays like the factory accessory floor trays from Volvo. They are a thick, heavy soft rubber. They were awesome.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 22, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
I have weather tech in my Silverado. They are crap. The sides have all folded inward and they will shift around on the floor easily. They do, however hold the dirt, but are very thin and when you fold them to remove, oftentimes you will spill a percentage of the dirt during the procedure.

The ones I threw away inadvertently were Huskie standard mats. They were an ugly gray and did not fit all that well. Were thin and hard and those spikes on the bottom were always punching holes in my hands. Can't say I like them much either. I would prefer some heavy rubber matt that fit well. Such a thing exist?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
So, I just ordered a set of custom made heavy rubber floor mats from a company the cuts specific patterns from industrial rubber mat. Let's see what these look like.

and a bit of foreshadowing, but when I return from the trip, there will be a new addition to the Real man thing. it will offer products that are custom made for Real Man, stuff that works that will be available only through the site. That and a ton of T's and other clothing that carries the kind of message we all wish to promote.

I don't want to get too deeply into this but, I have long wanted to create something Christian men could sink their teeth into with no PC apology to the plastic sheeple crowd. I am going to launch that. Believe it or not, floor mats were one of the thing I was looking at to be made for us!

Oh and with the money I make??? Going to provide scholarships for men/women who want to spread the gospel. Pay for people I identify who are the real deal and in need. Pay for a bunch of things which supports those who are a part and the community of believers in Christ.

Nuff for now...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
Thought I smelled a business opportunity with those matts.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
Outstanding Chief. Excited to see this take off.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
Outstanding Chief. Excited to see this take off.

I'll take good care of everyone here, and build the community too.

So worked on that business plan some today, but mostly had good wrench turning time spent on the Burb. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. As long as these brakes sort and there is no reason they won't then it will be on to alignment, some driving, some sorting, some tuning, then packing and I'll light this candle on both ends.

Right now I have to go watch my youngest get promoted into high school and maybe eat a little chinaman's food

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 22, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »
I went cheap on the seat covers. I like the minimalist/military style of these covers by Smittybilt. They are made to fit a Jeep, so I needed to do a bit of tweaking to get them in my cab

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 22, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Built pretty well IMHO

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
The underside is rubberized

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 22, 2019, 10:27:32 PM »
I like em!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 22, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »
And it fits

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
I didn't add a bunch of pouches although each seat cover comes with seven of them. I like the large pouch to store a hoodie for those chilly mornings

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 22, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »
And that fit rather nicely with the folded seat and cooler arrangement

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 22, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »
Still plenty of room for a medium sized pre-ranger to bed down

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 22, 2019, 10:34:02 PM »
Pouch minimum on the other side as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
just enough to get the job done me thinks

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »
And with two pre-rangers installed:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:25 PM »
A bit more finish work, covering the unused channels in the 80/20 runs.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 22, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »
Then I pulled the ugly white torpedo thing off and made Dave happy:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »
Oh, I velcroed my rusty lock blade into my door panel

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »
With some press work I had the hybrid U-joint Tate supplied swapped into the driveshaft and then bolted that in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 22, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »
But, I am not liking how the U-joint saddles do not bolt down flush to the saddle in the diff yoke. Going to have to do something about that

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal