Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tick prevention  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Tick prevention
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
1 Simple Tip To Keep Ticks Off Of You All Summer Long

When winter is coming to a close and we are getting ready for the warmer weather, many of us look forward to heading outdoors and enjoying some sunshine. There are many reasons to go outside and it certainly can be a wonderful time of year. Unfortunately, it is also the time of year when we need to be cautious about getting ticks. It can really ruin the day.

If you are somebody that tends to spend a lot of time outdoors, you need to be able to effectively protect yourself from ticks. They are more than just a nuisance or a pest that makes us uncomfortable, they carry diseases, some of which are very dangerous and even deadly. The next time you’re out enjoying what the great outdoors has to offer, consider this simple trick and you can keep ticks from latching on and causing problems.

Lint roller and essential oil

In order to use this tip, you will need a roller and some essential oils. The lint roller should use adhesive layers. Take it with you when you’re going outside and roll it on your clothing every once in a while. You might be surprised with what you pick up in a very short amount of time.

Adding some essential oil may help to keep the ticks from climbing on you while you are outside. Spray the essential oil on your clothing and rub it into your skin and the ticks may just stay away. It also works for mosquitoes and black flies. It’s a good alternative to insect repellent and reduces your chemical exposure.

Here are 5 essential oils that repel bugs.

1. Lavender – This smells sweet to us but bugs absolutely hate it. It works on mosquitoes, flies and other insects.

2. PennyRoyal – this is a member of the mint family and it is toxic to insects.

3. Lemongrass – This essential oil comes from tropical lemongrass and has a citrusy sent. It is a natural flea and tick repellent and can be sprayed directly on the skin.

4. Eucalyptus – use this alone or along with citronella oil to keep bugs away. According to the Journal of medical entomology, Eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites and infections.

5. Lemon – some lemon essential oil can work against fleas and other bugs. Slightly dilute it and spray it on your clothing and skin.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Tick prevention
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
Sulfur tablets also work great if you can find them. If not, a strike anywhere match a day will keep the bugs away.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
There is a permethrin clothes treatment that lasts several washes. I'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
THAT stuff works let me tell you. probably not any good for you, but mosquitos land on the clothes, die in seconds.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »
My wife is a chemophobe and she approves. Apparently once it's dry it's "harmless"

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:58:09 PM »
I use DEET during the summer. Some folks hate it but I don't mind it. I will put some on my hat but also on my skin as well. A buddy I fish with says it makes his lips go numb. Yeesh. 

I do think there is something about our odor or something as well that attracts them to certain people and not to others. Last fall on a search the guy next to me the entire day (so between 5 an 15 feet away depending on the thickness of the brush) was finding ticks on him NON-STOP. I think he pulled off about 20 before lunch and another 20 or so after. After the search we were in a conference room at the police station and he was still pulling them off him. Probably another 5 or 10 while we were sitting there waiting. It was then that I pulled my first one off me (it hadn't bit me yet but was walking on my arm). I have no idea what that difference could be (diet? deodorant?). I had not used any DEET that day but didn't have a problem. He was really freaking out bc there were so many on him. I was sure when I got home and showered I would find some but I didn't. Not a one.     

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
I'd use DDT

But it's hard to find ;-)))

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »

I'd use DDT

You are not looking in the right places.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

I'd use DDT

You are not looking in the right places.
Mexico?? Guatemala? Columbia?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »
Sitting in the back corner of some shed, right next to the bottle of chlordane.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
Wow. I forgot about chlordane. My dad had a bottle of that when I was a kid. It killed everything. We had to leave the house for a day when he nuked it.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
Being from the bug capital of MN we use permethrin on the clothes and 100% Deet on skin. Works great but you do have to apply pretty often. Hardest thing is keeping them off of the Lab. She is white so it is easy to find them if you don't let it go too long.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP657-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490708491&sr=8-3&keywords=permethrin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H89KFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »
I dunno if Fipronil kills ticks like it does ants.....I suspect not but maybe it does? We have had some issues with carpenter ants in the past and the pest guy came and sprayed with a solution with Fipronil. A little Google foo and I bought a jug of it and now spray around the house twice a year. Keeps the bas**rds out. I guess one benefit for ants is they get it on them and then go back to the nest and die. Being carnivorous/cannibalistic the other ants eat the dead and that kills the colony. Like I say dunno if that would have an effect on ticks or not?

I also have friends who swear by diatomaceous earth for bugs. This is just ground up bug "skeletons" that when other bugs walk through it the pieces get lodged in between the segments of their bodies and they end up literally falling apart as the ground up skeletons cut through the segments. Would make for a pretty good horror movie if filmed magnified at 100X. Ha! But it may not affect ticks I don't know? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:02:00 PM by Wilbur »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
I have two cats, two dogs. I use the diatomaceous earth once a month in all the couch cracks, carpets, bedding etc. brush it in vacuum it up. keeps the fleas down WAY better than the frontline or whatever other insert here chemical stuff. don't know about ticks, we really only have them on the east side of the mtns and not that frequently. we don't even have a threat of lime disease here, but fleas.. WATCHOUT. winters aren't harsh enough recently to kill them off and spring is brutal.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Big fan of Frontline on dogs- know a guy who applies it to himself too.  Exactly same stuff used on kids/people for head lice!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
We use Frontline on our lab. Seems to work great if you put it on early and regular. I pulled an engorged tick off of her last night! My wife just bought the Frontline that same day.

We thought it was still kinda winter but they are out in force now along with the gnats.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal