Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sending a young man off  (Read 12838 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sending a young man off
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
Oh...And his orders were changed.

No longer going to 3rd Infantry, "Old Guard"

Now headed the the 3rd Infantry Division, Ft. Stewart, GA (Near Savannah)

And he was told they are about six months out from a deployment to Poland
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »
When does he report?  I am right there.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2021, 04:49:56 PM »
When does he report?  I am right there.
3 Jan

I'll be seeing you semi often then! Which is great, I met Shawn at Benning. I was in Clothing Sales when this man comes up and said, "I think I know you, you Don Harward?" And yes it was him. So cool to meet that day. Another highlight in a day filled with them!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2021, 06:03:40 PM »
A great day!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 06:06:36 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2021, 07:32:51 PM »
 :beercheers: :beercheers: :beercheers:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2021, 09:37:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing Don.  Very cool.  Makes me proud to be an American.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2021, 09:58:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Congratulations

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2021, 09:55:28 AM »
You all are welcome!

Makes me proud as a dad, but also as an American to see there is still goodness and good men and women, and honor here

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »
Look forward to the meet up. You have my number and he can also.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »
It was great meeting you and the family, Big D! I wish your son all the luck in the world moving forward. He will do great things! He may even end up in an ABCT when he gets to Stewart. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
It was great meeting you and the family, Big D! I wish your son all the luck in the world moving forward. He will do great things! He may even end up in an ABCT when he gets to Stewart. ;-)
Yea, he could. We'll know soon enough.

Did you see where Matt Atkins is there? Retired 1SGT!

Get to meet him too, and I have a bunch of Night Stalker buddies from 3rd bat retired there as well. We already are planning for the summer vaca to Savannah (If the knucklehead is there and not in Poland)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »
Chief, first off, congratulations on raising sons who love our country enough to want to volunteer to serve. Many may think it’s not a big deal, and while it is just a choice, the military is quickly becoming unrecognizable to what all here have served in. Which makes that choice a HUGE deal. I for one am thankful to see good man continue to stand up for what we all here believe in. Thank you to you for instilling solid principles, and thank you to him for stepping up.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2021, 09:46:30 PM »
Chief, first off, congratulations on raising sons who love our country enough to want to volunteer to serve. Many may think it’s not a big deal, and while it is just a choice, the military is quickly becoming unrecognizable to what all here have served in. Which makes that choice a HUGE deal. I for one am thankful to see good man continue to stand up for what we all here believe in. Thank you to you for instilling solid principles, and thank you to him for stepping up.
I'll pass your thoughts on to him

Thanks

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »
He'll enjoy Poland (if they allow some MWR trips). Great place, most people speak english, beautiful women, the folks like Americans, and its inexpensive!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2021, 11:27:09 AM »
a buddy of mine whos the BN CDR for 1/5 FA out of riley is over there doing that rotation right now, as well as one of my old soldiers who is stationed at stewart did a rotation.  both of them said they loved it!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2022, 05:08:40 PM »
Big surprise this morning!

With the day planned out...Wake up, go with everyone to get breakfast, then get the PFC a haircut (Like he really needed one), then come home, pack and over to the airport for a 1400ish dropoff with a planed 1600 departure

I got up earlier than everyone else, showered then settled into a good cup of joe all alone.

Knock at the door. One of his sisters show up for a visit. Note: We had a family dinner/get together the night before so that everyone could say their goodbyes...Read: Unexpected!

Now it's getting late like 0900ish and the pre-ranger is not up so we beat on the door. He comes out sick as a dog who is already sick!

We take his temp: 99+ but not 100. Sore throat dizzy, diahrea, puking...sick.

I have a thought: Will the airport even allow him to enter or the airline allow him to board the plane? Me thinking: Probably not.

Girlfriend then tells me Pre Ranger has passed out twice in five minutes while trying to stand up and pack.

Me thinking: I think we need to call the reception center at Ft Stewart, we don't but pre-ranger does.

All I hear is "yes, sergeant first class, like a dozen times, pre-Ranger hangs up.

Instructions from that Sergeant no-class: Well, if you can't fly, then you need to drive here. Only a Ft. Stewart COVID test will suffice.

So, me the warrant officer, again thinking: So we have a soldier who is sick and can't drive and just passed out, 2X. We need to verify if he has Covid, and the only testing place they accept is the troop medical clinic at Ft. Stewart! I quickly remember why it was that I got out of the Army, but that does not help this sick soldier.

So, we decide to drive him there. It's now 1045, it is a 10+45 drive with no stops, but mom rises to the occasion and we pack everything and get that soldier in uniform and into the car. I feed him a bunch of water and a Benadryl. and a little after 11 they pull out of the driveway.
So its now 1700 and mom called to tell me she is 40 min north of Columbia and 3+20 outside Ft Stewart, and...that kid...has not woken up yet. Still has a fever, and she won't stop for any reason.

Just got done reserving her a room there for the night

Nice, Army, really nice. Good plan too, Sergeant. I'd make sick soldiers drive too. Heck while we're at it, lets make them fly and operate armored vehicles as well. Thanks Army for taking care of my son!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
Sorry I am at work at Bragg or I'd be there to help. Somehow.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2022, 07:15:46 PM »
Sorry Don. Sounds about like CDC guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2022, 04:16:06 AM »
Oh man that is the military at its best and another  reason I retired when I did. Hope he gets feeling better soon and safe travels back for your wife

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2022, 08:50:04 AM »
Oh man that is the military at its best and another  reason I retired when I did. Hope he gets feeling better soon and safe travels back for your wife

No kidding.
Always that “military intelligence” joke (or not).
Safe travels to HH6 and get well to PFC.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »
So they got in there around 2200ish. Nate checked in, still sick as a dog and they were (in his words) "All chill." Sergeant told him to just take off and come back in the morning. Allowed him to go to the guest-house with mom and stay the night. Instructed to self quarantine at the moment...

OK, who is in charge?

Who's on first...??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:03 AM »
...So this if funny. Kat is going through in processing with Nate. Things have changed for the better. The SFC, NCOIC, was chatting it up with Kat. He told Nate, "Son relax some would ya and sit down. Your mom is cool but you're wrapped tighter than a baseball." Then he pulled off his basic training patch and tossed it away and slapped on a 3ID patch. He said you're in a unit now, you're not in basic anymore.

So things have loosened up a bunch, but Kat says Nate is standing at attention for everyone and moving around like he was made out of stone.

My take: The fact that Kat is there and is talking to the Cadre of the in-processing center is going to soften Nate's landing. The fact that Nate is more like a Marine than a soldier will bode well for him and my guess is that the Sergeants in the in-processing center will make a call or two ahead of Nate to tell them he is a good kid.

We shall see, but I think, sick or not, he is making a good first impression. Kat said she will spend another night.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »
Glad things are taking a turn for the better and more sensible.  Sometimes it’s just a matter of getting to the right person, or the other one he talked to has been dealing with a lot of individuals claiming sick so they didn’t have to return from leave. Either way, sounds a lot better.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Sounds like initial contact was with a pissed of Staff Duty NCO, who had probably been taking a bunch of calls from others reporting in "sick" to get a few more days. Might have gotten a little different result if he requested to speak to the SDO, but that request may have caused additional problems for him. Hope he feels better soon, and HH6 doesn't end up with the kung flu while driving back to the Kintuck. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
Sounds like initial contact was with a pissed of Staff Duty NCO, who had probably been taking a bunch of calls from others reporting in "sick" to get a few more days. Might have gotten a little different result if he requested to speak to the SDO, but that request may have caused additional problems for him. Hope he feels better soon, and HH6 doesn't end up with the kung flu while driving back to the Kintuck. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
We're good
Thanks

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:08 PM »
Little late to the party, but sorry to hear a new solider gets to deal with a disgruntled staff duty because of the wuflu situation that has been mishandled and abused beyond reason. I don’t for one minute believe it had to be a Stewart medfac test. This most recent iteration of the moronic variant is running more rampant than any of the others. And from what I see by the units around, tests are tests, and positives are being treated like a plague patient, ie, stay away from work.

May Kat have a safe trip home, and the new soldier continue to be light in a dark tunnel that is today’s military. Hope he is feeling better.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2022, 08:47:40 AM »
Any word on the pre-Ranger's unit of assignment? Has he recovered from his crud?
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Any word on the pre-Ranger's unit of assignment? Has he recovered from his crud?
Not very efficient, this new Armee

As of last night he still did not have word of the test results which has had him isolated along with all the other sick people from Ft. Stewart since last Monday, so he begins his 9th day of just sitting in a room waiting for someone to tell him something.

And that's the real thing here. No one is telling him anything. I don't have any sense that someone is looking after these troops. That's sergeant business, but some officer is supposed to be in charge.

I can't even begin to explain how different that is than my Army. We looked after our troops. I can't count the number of bacon sandwiches I ate because I always ate last and all the good stuff was already gone...But the troops saw and knew that about we officers and respected it. The NCO's did too and really, we were all alike, and we cared for our soldiers.

What I'm seeing playing out here:

Not my Army, not at all
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:03:41 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »
Yeah, I think this is especially a problem with the COVID Quarantine facilities. Management of those facilities is a rotating duty assignment, taking away from normal duties. And since these are "replacements" no-one really takes ownership. A real "not my Soldier, not my problem" mentality, which is a shame. I think it will be better when he actually gets to his unit. Either way, he should be out of quarantine soon, as the requirement is only 10 days from onset of symptoms.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2022, 05:54:56 PM »
Yeah, I think this is especially a problem with the COVID Quarantine facilities. Management of those facilities is a rotating duty assignment, taking away from normal duties. And since these are "replacements" no-one really takes ownership. A real "not my Soldier, not my problem" mentality, which is a shame. I think it will be better when he actually gets to his unit. Either way, he should be out of quarantine soon, as the requirement is only 10 days from onset of symptoms.
Rog

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:43 AM »
He has an assignment

Looks like Charlie Company, 3-69 Armor (Pronounced "Third of the sixty ninth")

Sean cleared it up for me. I guess Alpha and Bravo companied of third battalion are M1 Abrams tanks, and Charlie has Bradley Fighting Vehicles

New concept to me, but hey, it's our Armee!

Proud Army dad right here!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2022, 02:38:00 PM »
Yep, they're all "Combined Arms Battalions (CAB)" now. In each brigade, you'll have 2 heavy (2 companies of tanks, 1 of mech infantry), and one light(ish) (1 company of tanks, 2 companies of mech).
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
He has an assignment

Looks like Charlie Company, 3-69 Armor (Pronounced "Third of the sixty ninth")

Sean cleared it up for me. I guess Alpha and Bravo companied of third battalion are M1 Abrams tanks, and Charlie has Bradley Fighting Vehicles

New concept to me, but hey, it's our Armee!

Proud Army dad right here!
This is good to see! How’s his health?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »
So don, heres just how small the army is!

My soldier is the BN FSNCO of that BN.....HAHAHAHAHA

He will be looked after

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:24 PM »

He will be looked after
Or punished if he doesn’t write home to mom on a regular basis

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2022, 08:59:41 PM »

He will be looked after
Or punished if he doesn’t write home to mom on a regular basis

He texts and talks every day!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2022, 09:00:10 PM »

He will be looked after
Small world indeed!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:50 PM »
So good news don, 3-69 is entering modernization and is not scheduled to go anywhere anytime soon.

I have been informed to pray that he does not end up under SFC Hobbs as he is a self absorbed prick who thinks he is gods gift to the infantry.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2022, 09:15:38 PM »
So good news don, 3-69 is entering modernization and is not scheduled to go anywhere anytime soon.

I have been informed to pray that he does not end up under SFC Hobbs as he is a self absorbed prick who thinks he is gods gift to the infantry.
Charlie co. 3rd platoon...Only four platoons in C-Co, right? 25% chance, 1 in 4...

Korea in 23...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2022, 09:17:04 PM »
I sent you a txt

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »
He’s good

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2022, 01:55:48 PM »

Yep, they'll be getting the latest and greatest variants of the Abrams and Bradley.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2022, 04:10:54 PM »
Cool!

For a tanker/cav/grunt guy!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2022, 07:56:24 PM »
A year ago I was telling him to clean up his room

Today, he is deployed near a combat zone

This sure got real PDQ!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2022, 09:20:04 PM »
I know you are proud of him. We are too.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2022, 07:25:33 AM »
Was much easier for us to go off to dangerous places in place of seeing the kids go. Will be praying for Nate, you and the family

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
I know he and you can't say much but any word on your on his safety?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2022, 10:25:29 PM »
I know he and you can't say much but any word on your on his safety?

He's safe

Some are forward, some are not.

They have spent a lot of time on ranges tuning everything up. He became a M249 SAW gunner and also has a M240 assigned to him. So from errand-boy he moved up to being the squad machine gunner.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2022, 12:28:13 AM »
I find it odd the gov hasn’t got anything newer then either of those two guns,
1976! That’s old as Don!

Offline oklawall