Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kids.......  (Read 3187 times)

OldKooT

Kids.......
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »
Thought I'd share our 16 yr old daughters most recent "life plan" she informed us of. She's been working since age 14 at assorted jobs after school and summers. Presently she's working at a assisted living center after school and weekends. She has almost $37k saved to date, and last night she shared her plan to "invest" in a "idea"

She is buying 5 golf carts and is going to lease them at the local course. She has 5 people willing to pay her lease terms 1 year in full, and sign a two year contract. She provides the carts, maintenance and cleaning/storage. So her Mom and I look over her figures, can't find any argument that the plans solid, so Friday she takes delivery of her new money makers. She has a business plan of owning 15 by next fall.

I wish I would have thought of that LoL

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Kids.......
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »
Wow, good for her!

That's the kind of drive and ambition that made this place great.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
That's impressive.  Not just the idea and financials, but her ability to "ask for the sale" and close the deal.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »
That's fantastic! Good parenting too teaching the wisdom of saving and not impulsive spending ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:30:55 AM »
Heck, the first line was good for me. The rest just shows she has been listening and learning.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:35:56 AM »

Heck, the first line was good for me. The rest just shows she has been listening and learning.

Lol no joke!

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »
WOW- no Justin Beaver tickets?  She's just like her parents- "The Incredibles"...... 8)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »
LoL...shes more a country music type. Actually her overall mind set comes from the "community" in large. As parents we have rules/guidelines and we can encourage and teach, but in the end it's the "community" that sets much of the example.

She's a FFA member, which is a great place for kids to see the world as opportunity. Being a heavily Ag influenced area, most kids here are doing similar things. Our local skate boarder crowd is an excellent example.

These are largely "city kids" but they wanted a place to legally use their skateboards. They went to the police Chief and they asked for guidance on how to approach the mayor and the city board for permission to build a skate park. In the end a bunch of about 15 kids managed to sell the idea to the Police, the city board, the mayor and their parents. As well as the community as a whole. They hosted a Summer evening street dance last summer and raised enough money to convince the people of the city they had a grand idea.

Pretty soon business owners, started donating time, money and equipment, and the local Redi Mix place got on board, and now they have a beautiful skate park.  Those kids worked hard for that skate park, and they also learned in the process a valuable life lesson or two I am sure. Other kids saw what happened and you see the example had an effect. The old saying the community raises the kid is not far from the truth in my opinion... it weighed heavily when I was a kid and I feel it still does today.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it, maybe I need to move in your direction, Norm.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
The farm bordering mine just went up for sale. 160 acres.

Anyone wanna do a group buy?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Don whats a acre of that type of ground worth there?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
Don whats a acre of that type of ground worth there?

Norm the asking price is $1600 per acre, but that is high in my view
Thinking about it, should a few of you guys want to combine your assets, I want the back side and will buy that, along with the road, and there would be a lot left to divvied up. Then I cut roads with big red and everyone builds their own site in and we cover down on my place as ground central for the bigger stuff and fields and so forth.

I want to buy that 160, then the 78 acres on my back side, then the 60 bordering the road to the east.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
Are you going to rename the state Don? lol

That's awesome Norm. The way I handle money, even your 16 year old makes me look bad !
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
Minus my concern most the Eastern end of the USA will likely be a kill zone ( east = anything not west of the Missouri River LoL) I'd maybe buy some land.

In perspective.... Here crop grounds cruising along between $10-14K per acre. Even woodsy pasture areas that are a mess are bringing $4000 per acre. The only thing down close to what yr talking would be a Superfund sight around here.

Per an example... my last "tax evaluation" letter from the county claims the land my home and buildings are on is worth $14k per acre.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »
yeah thats a smokin deal Don.  In texas 4-5k minimum and most getting near 10K.  Only place at that price is way out west texas where there are no trees, no water and just drug cartels cutting across your land.  Good news is you could have a shooting range and a backhoe and cut down on the illegal border crossings....

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
Bout 10g an acre out here in the rural parts, bare land.

Don't ask how much for an acre in the non-rural parts lol

NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Well, that is the asking price. I wouldn't pay any where near that for it
I just calculated the actual asking price and come up with $1,562 per acre. I think I'll offer 1K per acre and see where that goes

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 03:12:56 AM »
I just calculated the actual asking price and come up with $1,562 per acre. I think I'll offer 1K per acre and see where that goes

That the guys farm who'd only let you straighten and widen the road, nothing more?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »

That the guys farm who'd only let you straighten and widen the road, nothing more?
That's him!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
I guess your problem would be solved by that purchase. Good luck!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
The builder of my house just offered to sell me the 1/4 acre behind my lot that he's unable to build on for a paltry $125k... since he can't build on it due to code restrictions, I think I'll just let him keep it lol.

Back to the Kids side of things, it sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders. Well done you guys.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
The builder of my house just offered to sell me the 1/4 acre behind my lot that he's unable to build on for a paltry $125k... since he can't build on it due to code restrictions, I think I'll just let him keep it lol.

Back to the Kids side of things, it sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders. Well done you guys.

That sound slike Ca. Offer him a fair price, he can't build on it so it is just costing him right now.

Heck guys, I can dirt in NV for $300 and acre. I can get nice for $1000, but to far to drive.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal