Hello Guest

Author Topic: Looking at building a shop  (Read 734 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Looking at building a shop
« on: August 29, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »
Question: What have you found that after you built a shop what have you wished you had done before the shop was built?

Here is what I'm thinking but I haven't been able to find anyone to prep the pad area:
Starting to look into building a 30X50 with 10' wall shop. May old one is on its last leg. What I have in mind is on one end to have a 30x12 area with full bathroom, kitchen and family/game/man room this area would also have heat and air. The area over this room will be set up for massive amounts of storage of all the stuff the wife thinks she needs to save.  The remaining would be accessed by a double and a single garage door with enough room to work in front of the vehicles.  Will have toolbox and work bench and wood working area in front the vehicles. I'm thinking of a lift in the single area but with only a 10' wall it most likely would have to be a low lift.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at building a shop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
I am also looking at a new garage/shop. The lift is a great idea, my plan is 12 ft walls in the lower section just for the height for the lift. Can double park and be able to stand under a rig on the lift. I will have two higher bays for RV/boat storage. Only need 12x12 doors now but plan on 14 high just because easier to build now than redo later if needed.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
The storage issue, in my case not just the wife stuff needing a place. Having just moved and not having a shop yet here I bought a storage shed and had it delivered. Had to widen out and overhead cut some branches to get it down the half mile drive but it is providing needed storage.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:01:17 PM by Nate »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:20:17 PM »
We have a 80×80 with 24 ft tall walls.  Its not big enough. I guess it would be big enough if we didn't have so much junk.  It has a heated floor. Pricey up front but a wise decision. I wish I could've talked the boss man into a footing  for a crane or At lest anchors in the floor. Oh and windows.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:21:02 PM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
Make it a pull through.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
Bigger and taller. There is never enough room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 08:45:17 PM »
The old man saying was “ figure out how much room you need, double it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »
My new one is 40x60, I can see it filling fast. Also adding cement in key spots for adding mezzanine and a lift. It is drive through, but not for everything.

10ft walls seem low, look at 12-14. Im going 16 and it gives a 21 center height. You might be OK if you need a steeper pitch, I only have a 4/12.

I like heated floors, but not doing it to the shop, just the living space. If you get good winters, you will be happy. I only deal with 2 cold months and just below freezing.

I am keeping my container for storage, may even get another with a cover to keep the tractors out of the weather.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal