Hello Guest

Author Topic: Interesting take on Trump and military procurement  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Interesting take on Trump and military procurement
« on: December 21, 2016, 09:14:05 AM »
I thought this was pretty interesting and makes some sense. I didn't know some of this as relates to WWII tanks. Obviously need to find the right balance.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/12/air_force_one_and_trumps_vision_of_military_power.html

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting take on Trump and military procurement
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
Good read, thanks for posting
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
he's kind of correct but not really,  for most of the war the Sherman's were not much of a match for the German Armor.  Later in the war we started to fix the short comings of the Sherman but that was really the last few months of the war.

One statement from a German Panzer commander I read was " We ran out of ammo, the Americans did not run out of tanks"

Russians tanks are a different story, but kind of the same way of thinking  in the US at the time.  Overwhelm with numbers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:28:30 AM by wilsonphil »

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
To fix the Military Machine the first stigma you'd have to cross is the ability to criticize how they operate...lots of multi color snowflakes in uniform. From the Brass to the entry level it has large problems. And the fact is if you point that out...your not a patriot or supportive of our "men" which is crap.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
I didn't know that Phil....I know very little about those aspects of WWII. Thanks!

To fix the Military Machine the first stigma you'd have to cross is the ability to criticize how they operate...lots of multi color snowflakes in uniform. From the Brass to the entry level it has large problems. And the fact is if you point that out...your not a patriot or supportive of our "men" which is crap.

I agree with this Koot. I think Trump may be able to pull it off as most veterans realize his support is genuine. He just (at least it appears) doesn't want to be a dope about things when it comes to the coin.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:27:17 PM by Wilbur »

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
I was thinking on this...I will start a new thread.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
Sort of off topic a bit, but the F35 is crap.

I get that from the pilots. It won't turn. Not enough wing. It's another F4 Phantom. What it doesn't do in turning performance it makes up for in avionics, but as a dog fighter going up against a third world Mig 21, it just might get its hide tanned. For stuff like that send in the F16 and kill the suckers, make some aces, pin some metals and let the mags talk about the technological wonder of the F35
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
More off topic, am I just in love with the F14 Tomcat because I was 6 when top gun came out? I know they're pigs, but in my models the G.I. JOES always won.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »
My favorite piece of war gear is still the A10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
Yup, your gun's bigger than mine. Alright TX, you win again ;)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »

Moms farm in Indiana is within couple miles as a crow flies to the 122nd fighter wing. They were doing maneuvers several days that week I was there over her farm.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
Tate it's similar to the difference between a sniper from long range and sticking someone with a knife up close and personal. They both get the job done, it's just a style thing.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
Tate it's similar to the difference between a sniper from long range and sticking someone with a knife up close and personal. They both get the job done, it's just a style thing.

I like it!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 05:47:33 PM »

Tex,
The Regional Jet I flew had the same engines mounted in a similar configuration as the A-10's GE power plants

I love that motor! Real kick in the pants when you need it...Or when you want to do a performance takeoff with no regard for customer comfort...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
That's funny.  And I'm that passenger that comments on your landing performance as I pass the cockpit on the way out.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »
I was in the middle of nowhere, Az. deer scouting yesterday, when 2 A-10s buzzed me through a mountain pass. They rolled in on me, held their paths straight on, then rolled away as I :
#1: Saluted both pilots.
#2: Cleaned out my drawers
#3: Pondered whether they have the same sick since of humor that bush okies like myself have
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
I was in the middle of nowhere, Az. deer scouting yesterday, when 2 A-10s buzzed me through a mountain pass. They rolled in on me, held their paths straight on, then rolled away as I :
#1: Saluted both pilots.
#2: Cleaned out my drawers
#3: Pondered whether they have the same sick since of humor that bush okies like myself have

That would have gotten my attention too! Yikes!  :o

TRN I comment to pilots quite a bit too thanking then for getting us down safe, especially after rocky landings. The scariest one for me was a flight from Denver to Boston....we were on a DC-10....this was 1990? Early 90's?....we landed uneventful at Logan but as we were taxiing I saw fire trucks out on the tarmac, I figured they were just keeping trucks warmed up etc. But then I saw more trucks and thought "hmmm.....they're all out at once?" So then we stopped a long way from the terminal....again I thought nothing of it....just figured we were waiting for a gate to free up. But light finally dawned on marble head here when I saw all the luggage guys on the tarmac had stopped working and were all staring at our plane and pointing. Then a couple of SUV's screamed up to the plane, screeched to a stop and guys piled out and ran up to the plane....okay, now I'm a little nervous. Ha. We finally pull up to a gate and as we're de-planing I asked the pilot what happened. "He said we lost our hydraulics in the tail". I just stared at him. I said "thank you....nice job." He smiled and said "Thanks" and I walked off literally shaking.

The plane that cartwheeled down the runway in  Iowa in 1989 bursting into flames was a DC-10 that had all its hydraulics severed when the rear engine fan blade disintegrated. I had only read the cause of it about a month or two before this flight. When the pilot told me he had lost the hydraulics in the tail it absolutely scared the crap out of me. I was so glad to be walking off that plane.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
Good read, I was kinda a WWII buff.  So much of that relates to today.

That's funny.  And I'm that passenger that comments on your landing performance as I pass the cockpit on the way out.....

But, you walked off the plane right? Good landing!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »
Anyone you walk away from is a good one. I especially like the ones in brisk cross winds when your darn near looking up the runway from the side window of the plane as it's landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal