Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dawg Fam's new Travel Trailer  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Dawg Fam's new Travel Trailer
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
Well, we pulled the trigger and did it.... been himmin' and hawin' for a year or so. With the puppy, and kid on the way, the 2014 24' White Hawk was gonna be cramped. So we upgraded to a 2015 30' Jay Flight Elite. Has much more living space, has the elite package which gets ya all LED lighting, aluminum wheels, 80gal fresh water tank, larger fridge, 2 skylights, larger propane tanks, and porcelain toilet. Also has the fiberglass walls and frameless windows, and the thermal package with full underbelly insulation.

We're pretty stoked, got an amazing deal private party (sad story, death in the family forced sale, sold it for what they owed), and have a pending sale on our first trailer now... will almost be a wash, net cost to us is a couple grand for the upgrade. Had to drive across the state to Wenatchee to get it, but it was definitely worth it... paid about 6-8k less than it would have been priced locally.

Definitely heavier, at 7k dry vs 5k dry for our previous trailer. Truck handled it fine on the way home over Swauk Blewett (for your PNW'ers) even without my weight distribution setup on yet. Got hot at the top of the hill and the fan kicked on, but with our smaller trailer it would do that too. Little squirly on I-90 in a crosswind, but the Blue Ox Sway Pro will fix that right up. Will be right at 8500 when she's loaded up with full propane and water, but I won't be hauling all 80 gallons of water very often. Nice to have the capacity tho for boondocking trips.

Here's the new one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:38:04 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dawg Fam's new Travel Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Nice Dawg!  That's getting heavy for our OBS trucks.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Nice! I know Blewett pass, been over to Wenatchee a few times for work (well, at the old job).  :likebutton:
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
Nice Kyle! That couch looks comfy.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »
Very nice!
 :likebutton:
May be technically a getting heavy(according to the light OBS numbers)...but realistically not so much.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »
Nice upgrade, you will really enjoy the extra space. Having 80 gallons of space for water is nice for the big one they are saying to get ready for.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:14:16 PM »

Careful here, Ken will be inviting himself over!

Nice trailer btw
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »
Thanks fellas! Yeah I think 10k is about the max on my truck, I'll be closer to 8k most of the time. Truck definitely knows it's there, but I pulled 60 up the pass without skipping a beat other than getting a little warm and burning a bunch of diesel LOL.

I burned 1/4 tank on the way over, and darn near 3/4 on the way home. 3 passes tho, so lots of grade makes for worse than usual towing mpg

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »

Careful here, Ken will be inviting himself over!

Nice trailer btw

Very nice- don't worry about Ken, he can't bring HildaBeast 'cause she wouldn't make it through the door way. The pantsuit might rub and cause spontaneous combustion!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
Dawg our trucks can pull a lot of weight. Stopping is our problem.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch.aspx?year=2005&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado+2500+HD+Pickup&option=8+Lug+-+All+w%2f+4.63+Center+Register+Rear

Problem solved

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
Dawg our trucks can pull a lot of weight. Stopping is our problem.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch.aspx?year=2005&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado+2500+HD+Pickup&option=8+Lug+-+All+w%2f+4.63+Center+Register+Rear

Problem solved

Yes they absolutely can.
This is interesting.
I missed the 80 gallon fresh water tank. Nice.
And I wouldn't be scared to pull with it full if you're out for more than a weekend.

If heating is an issue, a stack cleaning is in order.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
I had the stack cleaned last year... I was having issues with the fan not kicking on.... rad was all plugged up in front of the clutch, so it didn't heat up as fast as the coolant did to trigger engagement. Fan kicked on at 225 this last trip and got me down to 200 in a hurry, even pulling 60 up a steep grade.

The trailer brakes on both axles performed well, and the compression braking on the duramax is pretty good, so stopping wasn't really an issue, just have to be careful not to ride the brakes. Can't wait to get it tuned so I can get the turbo brake back like I had on my last d-max

NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »
Kyle, I think the biggest problem you had with heat was doing 60 going up the pass. Your truck should handle your new 2nd home just fine. It was most likely a warm day, and just because the fan came on doesn't mean it was getting too hot. I used to pull that hill with a 2007 6.0 and 32 ft. 10,000lb RV. The only problem was the noise the needle on the gas gauge made as it fell toward empty. Having the engine brake will be nice, makes towing a much better experience for sure.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
Oh I know maintaining 60 wasn't an ideal scenario, I just wanted to see how the truck would do... normally I do 50-55 on Blewett the last 1/2 or 1/3, same with the hill westbound I-90 coming out of the Gorge... that's a long road to hoe there. It was 80-85 out too varying with altitude. The fan didn't fully engage either, it came on about half locked up I would say. It was moving air for sure, but not nearly as much as when that fan clutch locks up at 2k rpm and sounds like it's going to take off.

Most of the time I kind of let the truck figure out where it wants to be with about 60-70% throttle pulling grade. Whether that's lugging up in 5th, or down in 4th. Speeds adjust accordingly.

NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
That's nicer than a lot of the apartments I've lived in! Sweet! Enjoy it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal