Hello Guest

Author Topic: OverLanding Camper Build  (Read 74419 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: OverLanding Camper Build
« Reply #1650 on: May 25, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »
 :popcorn:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 25, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Can this travel down the road with the top up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 25, 2020, 01:44:44 PM »
Can this travel down the road with the top up?

No
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 26, 2020, 12:53:42 AM »
Well it might be no but that doesn’t mean you won’t try at some point

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
OverLanding Camper Build
« Reply #1654 on: May 26, 2020, 02:24:10 AM »
Can it be moved to position properly with top up? Yes, because this is feet moves at very slow speeds.

Can it be driven a couple miles with the top up? No, because well, wind. I also do not think the struts could withstand much movement in extended position.

Velcro is only so strong, and that would be one heck of a sail in its up position.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:26:04 AM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 26, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Can it be moved to position properly with top up? Yes, because this is feet moves at very slow speeds.

Can it be driven a couple miles with the top up? No, because well, wind. I also do not think the struts could withstand much movement in extended position.

Velcro is only so strong, and that would be one heck of a sail in its up position.
When the top is up the hinges overcenter which stabilize it laterally to the point it doesn't move at all. Then with the side steel poles latched down the fore and aft movement stops. I guess you could move the thing with the top up at low speeds, say if you chose a spot that was flooding. You could easily drag it to higher ground. But to travel? The whole purpose of a pop up is to create a low profile while travelling, then "Explode" into position once you stop for the night.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 26, 2020, 10:00:26 AM »
Don just said his camper is going to “explode”.  His words, not mine.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 26, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
 :likebutton:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 26, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »

When the top is up the hinges overcenter which stabilize it laterally to the point it doesn't move at all. Then with the side steel poles latched down the fore and aft movement stops. I guess you could move the thing with the top up at low speeds, say if you chose a spot that was flooding. You could easily drag it to higher ground. But to travel? The whole purpose of a pop up is to create a low profile while travelling, then "Explode" into position once you stop for the night.
Chief, I’m tracking, I was kind of expanding on your no answer. We owned a trailer with a tent on it for a few years, and every now and again, you set up the tent to find it’s not level enough for sleeping, so you might move it a couple feet to get it more level. But no they are not designed to be hauled in the open position.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 26, 2020, 10:58:34 PM »

Chief, I’m tracking, I was kind of expanding on your no answer. We owned a trailer with a tent on it for a few years, and every now and again, you set up the tent to find it’s not level enough for sleeping, so you might move it a couple feet to get it more level. But no they are not designed to be hauled in the open position.
T-Copy

Well today was one of those days when you take one step forward and one step backward

I have been working on both the burb and the camper. On the burb until the daily thunderstorm hits, then on to the camper which is inside still. I'll cover the burb in its thread.

The theme of today was supposed to test the water tank and then move on to figuring out the awning system, how to brace it and compensate for the additional roof height.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 26, 2020, 11:00:31 PM »
With the water hooked up, I pressure checked each valve and associated fittings for leaks...so far so good

There is actual water pressure against the system in the photos

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 26, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
Then the filling began

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 26, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »
After some time I noticed a very slow drip start

Then I noticed another

I want to say I had three consistent leaks going and was frankly starting to feel pretty low, so I did some quick reading

Will wood expand to seal itself in time???

Well the answer is, yes it will, and I almost went with that, but this is interior ply and do I really want parts of it to expand and later seal? Take a chance it will not? Introduce moisture that will cause mold to grow?

Well, it is too late in this game to make small corrections. At this point you make big changes and go with it, or toss the thing and try something else.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 26, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
I decided not to repair the leaks for fear I may be chasing after one followed by a never ending number of leaks and never have satisfaction the system works. Here's what I went with. Its a flexible 52 gallon water bladder made for the boating industry. They shove these bladders in nooks and crannies everywhere, and that is what I am going to do here. In hindsight, I should have done this from the beginning, but it is what it is

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 26, 2020, 11:14:09 PM »
That long one at the bottom is almost the exact size of the cavity I have to work with, 69" X 27" X 10" and the capacity nearly matches the tank I would have had. So it's ordered and on the way. When it gets here I'll install it and make the necessary modifications to the system already inplace.

Wasting no time, I cut the tank open in preparation for the new bladder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:57 PM »
I added the two back up lights I wanted to augment the existing tail lamp bulbs

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 26, 2020, 11:17:20 PM »
^^^ Only the right one pictured

Then I started sorting out the awning, but stopped short of actually doing anything while I try and figure out exactly what I need to do

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 26, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »
You saying the many costs of epoxy, fiberglass are still allowing water out?  Wth!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »
You saying the many costs of epoxy, fiberglass are still allowing water out?  Wth!

Yea, I know. I can't find any evidence examining the interior of the tank either. Who knows, but has to be some small pin hole/air bubble somewhere.

I took an hour to think about ti. If I had these leaks at this point, then what might happen when I start pounding it on a rocky trail??? I feel settled in the water bladder concept. And in reality it will only set me back about a day.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
There are companies that sell plastic food grade tanks for about any size on eBay.   I think a hard tank would be better then a bladder that would cause vacuum like a camel bag. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 27, 2020, 12:18:42 AM »
Chief, who made the awning? It looks like it works just as is in the risen position.

If not, maybe some 12” length of pvc just big enough to fit over the legs with a hole drilled through both for a pin. Quick, simple, practical.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 27, 2020, 02:46:34 AM »
I like the bladder idea, but I think a poly tank from the get go would have been better. Think of all the work it would have saved.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 27, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Chief, who made the awning? It looks like it works just as is in the risen position.

If not, maybe some 12” length of pvc just big enough to fit over the legs with a hole drilled through both for a pin. Quick, simple, practical.
Darche...

I thought about that, prop up the legs some and boom! A high ceiling open awning.

As for the water bladder, heck every aircraft I ever flew except for a jet or two had bladders fuel. I have refueled from fuel bladders all over the world. I slept on them and I sling loaded them. A big water pillow was all one village I worked ever had. Bladders are great and conform to the odd space like the one I have. Hind sight is always 20/20 but I wanted to do something different. Given time I could have worked out the bugs on this one, but I'm itchin' to get on the road.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »
I like the bladder idea, but I think a poly tank from the get go would have been better. Think of all the work it would have saved.
Copy JR

Knowing what I know now, I would have designed around a plastic tank and called that done. Lessons learned...

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 27, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Well since you have torn into it now, I think rebuilding around a plastic tank would be the right way to go. Bladder might be ok but all the fittings could be incorporated into a plastic tank. After all that is an earthquake on wheels.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
Well since you have torn into it now, I think rebuilding around a plastic tank would be the right way to go. Bladder might be ok but all the fittings could be incorporated into a plastic tank. After all that is an earthquake on wheels.
Bob, with that forty five slant in the back at best I would lose a bunch of capacity. This bag is better than a hard tank in my view, as I have seen them used for decades in the aviation industry and am very comfortable with them, and it is enroute and I am taking no more time in designing anything, just correcting and fixing things at this point. Time to travel!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »
Bob, with that forty five slant in the back at best I would lose a bunch of capacity. This bag is better than a hard tank in my view, as I have seen them used for decades in the aviation industry and am very comfortable with them, and it is enroute and I am taking no more time in designing anything, just correcting and fixing things at this point. Time to travel!
When are you guys leaving KY?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 29, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
When are you guys leaving KY?
Well, soon I guess is the best answer I can give.

I am only waiting on this water bladder to show, then install that.
The larger issues are: This COVID overreaction has closed a bunch of options for us as far as places to stop and stay, restaurants and stuff like that.

That, and the prerangers are fully into conditioning for football by mid July. In fact this year the coach wants them conditioning by mid june, but I told them fat chance!

So we will be leaving soon, and if not west, then somewhere we can actually get some support at.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: May 29, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
Well with all this I’m prepared for doomsday a trip to wy from Ky would be a good test

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 24, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
OK, back from a short break in the Florida.

Covid 19 or 20 has cramped mine and other's style and the trans America trail was all but impossible due to the state of WY more or less being closed to our effort. So I threw in the towel and provided a standard and very relaxing vaca on the beach for the family. Now that we are back and after some necessary farm catchin'-up I'll hitch the wooden box up and make some littlerer trips.

I did a few more things to it, and if I have the time I am going to repaint it because I just can't stand the sloppy paint on the passenger or drivers side. (or the front and back too!)

I ran the AC for hours on a few days and noticed the cabinet would get pretty hot and the AC efficiency was hurting, so I bent up a prop rod to keep the door more opener.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 24, 2020, 06:28:38 PM »
Then with the 55 amp electrical control box doing some funny stuff, I just hard wired a battery monitor charger to the incoming 110VAC circuit. Ever since the dual electron collection boxes are holding 13-13.5 volts

I gave things some additional grounds as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 24, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »
Here's the new 52 gallon water bladder made for boats.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 24, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
I had to reroute some lines, but it was easy-peasy

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
Almost all hooked up

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the Vaca.

Now I see its time for more fluid issues,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 24, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »
All that is remaining is to fix the inoperative roof fan, mount up some pioneering tools and repaint then its off to the races with this one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 24, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the Vaca.

Now I see its time for more fluid issues,,,,,,
Yea, a couple.
Going to remove the commercial topper from the Duramax truck and build a rack to carry kayaks and junk, then all sorts of things on the H-D list (first word:honey) then I need to do something stupid to the suburban.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 24, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
Does the stupid thing you need to do rhyme with burbamax?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 26, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
Does the stupid thing you need to do rhyme with burbamax?

It could
Maybe "Burbins"

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 28, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
I have it all sanded down and about 40% masked up for the repaint. Will post up some pics when I get a bit further.

But recently, I repaired a faulty switch in the roof fan fixing that. I completely finished the water bladder installation and ran that system. That all works fine, but the on demand water heater is no-workie. I fixed a slow air leak from one of the air springs, but it seems to have come back...ERRRRR

I traced down some electrical problems and repaired all that.

I got the top all fixed up and working well enough to call that serviceable

Finally, I stripped it down again and sanded it forever, then washed with mineral spirits, and now I'm into the final masking. Goal is to use in in a week or two for some fall hiking in the colorful forests that are starting to show up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:58 PM »
New Update: First I worked all the bugs out and got the water system working. Pic shows bladder with 50+ gallons squashing down the suspension

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 30, 2020, 07:56:49 PM »
Then I ran down an electrical problem which was keeping the roof fan from coming on. That is fixed and it works now. I found a very slow air seep from an air line and thought I fixed that, but the air bag went flat after 24 hours again.

But I went on to prepping for the repaint

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 30, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
That was a sanding with #150 grit on an orbital and a lot of detail work, then masking

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:26 PM »
I re-primed all the areas where the bedliner was sanded through, as well as some metal parts. I then sprayed them with a fresh bottle of U-Pol Raptor bed liner to completely prep for paint

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 30, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
I had a complete gallon plus a can of activator to spray so I ended up laying down four coats of Urethane paint in the same color as the Suburban

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 30, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
^^^ I can see just a tad bit of striping on the big right side, but its OK with me and a world better than that hideous crap it covered.

I'm good

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 30, 2020, 08:37:25 PM »
I like grey, blends in much better than black.

Just saw a couple vids of people using the 1101 as a base for a build. Long as you have a ladder to get in!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 01, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Looks good Chief. If’n it’d been me I’d have probably treated it like a working rifle. Throw it on the ground and hit it with some rattle can camo paint in a few different colors.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal