Hello Guest

Author Topic: just another 1st gen cummins  (Read 8460 times)

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
just another 1st gen cummins
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
so this is the day i picked her up

1989 D250, 5.9 cummins w/ unknown mileage (supposedly has 10K since its been gone through, as well as the trans) 727 3 speed, NP205 tcase, 3.07 D61/71 combo
to say this thing runs like a top is an understatement. PO was on leave for 10+ days when met him at his house in jacksonville. turned the key on and bumped it, and by bump i mean .5 second, and she was up and running. idled perfectly and the 4" straight pipe sounds amazing.

after pulling the mat out of the bed (it was raining when i bought it, so i couldn't snoop like i wanted), this was the best fix for the bed. hahah

frame was in amazing condition. zero rot anywhere. only minimal surface collection and it was mostly dirt..

pressure washed, scuffed and painted the frame, along with the bones of the flatbed that would soon take shape, with a new set of shoes (old BFGs were worn unevenly and badly out of balance. rode like crap) 285 75r16 terra grapplers fixed that

also has a set of donor doors from an '87 D150 with perfect panels and functioning windows, along with an immaculate bench seat from the same truck

material for bed.. pulled out of the woods at my parents house.

and coming back from the mill..

planed, jointed, routed and ready to be fumigated.

headache rack and fill neck

fitting the oak slabs on the bed and headache rack

jockey box manipulation to fit under bed, between cab and rear tires

more fun

notched to fit around front position rear spring hanger

rustoleum semi gloss professional..

test fitting..

mounted

5th wheel plate and OBA tank (seen from under the bed/rear)

Viair 100% duty cycle mounted in passenger jockey box

new bed mocked up. lots more holes to be drilled and self tapping deck bolts to be put in place. hahah

finished bed and headache rack

OldKooT

Re: just another 1st gen cummins
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
Very nice old truck you have there. And welcome to the forum.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
AC compressor replacement, KDP check/fix (had already been done)

and this..

2nd gen cummins IC and HX35

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
rear bed/frame cap with reverse and brake/turn signals

the metal will continue around the sides, with a matching piece with eh same angle bend going forward from the rear corners. dead ending into 22" radius fenders that will be welded to the jockey boxes and underneath the bed

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »
Very nice old truck you have there. And welcome to the forum.

thank you sir. its certainly has been a labor of love, thats for sure. but its what makes it a cool old truck. ppl stop and tell me they've seen me driving around town before but didn't know whose it was. don't get that in a camera. hahah

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
SEM paint on the dash and a 2nd gen cummins dash pod

and with working AC, the windows can stay UP!! might as well throw little tint at the ol girl..

OldKooT

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »
I have a 91.5 I have been abusing for years. It's actually a solid old truck but it's needing some attention. I keep trying to talk myself into a flat bed....it would be very useful here on the farm. But, I scored a 8' step side bed a while back and I keep thinking I really should put that on it. But I keep procrastinating as it's our plow truck, and it's winter, so I hate the idea of it being tore apart. But this morning I stepped on the brakes it it made a rather bad grinding sound on the pass side front...and it's been needing new king pins and leaf springs....and then you go and post your picture and it got me to thinking I should redo some stuff quick and .....I am trying to avoid a Don scenario where it becomes another project I try and keep simple, and it turns into....a hobby.......

that sec gen intercooler fit behind your OEM grill?

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
yea, i read of the 'oil change' he currently has going on. mine have been week long (at most) tear downs and rebuilds. with most only lasting a day or two. i have a new DD so ill be able to pull it apart alittle more and get some real work done to it.

and it will not fit behind a non IC grill. the bigger chrome grills which I'm sure yours has with it being a 91.5, just trim up some of tabs and it should slip right on. it al depends on how close you mount the IC to the air conditioner condenser.. thats where you can make or break your grill fitting back on.

ohh.. and the core supports for the IC to non IC 1st gens an even mid 80s gassers are different.. ask me how i know. hahah

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
I have considered a 2nd gen cooler for the 91.5 if I decide to redo it. The OEM one is a bit undersized for my present fueling.

My wifes Ramcharger has a PS cooler...

It fits very well...but I'd need a newer thinner condenser if it was a AC truck even with the newer grill/support.

Did you like the SEM paint? I have been ditching the SE power windows/doors on my 91.5 and need to repaint some door panels for the old crank windows.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »
I have considered a 2nd gen cooler for the 91.5 if I decide to redo it. The OEM one is a bit undersized for my present fueling.

My wifes Ramcharger has a PS cooler...

It fits very well...but I'd need a newer thinner condenser if it was a AC truck even with the newer grill/support.

Did you like the SEM paint? I have been ditching the SE power windows/doors on my 91.5 and need to repaint some door panels for the old crank windows.

the 2nd gen IC is wide enough to fit around even the crossflow radiators on the 1st gens, and I'm fairly certain it'll sit in front of the condenser (mine does, but the grill isn't on either) i have a chrome 1st gen grill, but the headlight buckets are further up and out towards the corners than the earlier models. considering cutting new holes and mountain new buckets to accommodate this. but i think Flyin6s has AC, and the later model 1st gen grill fits over with minimal trimming to the lower interior grill inserts..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »
Great looking truck!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
and yes, i do like SEM products. was very pleased with the outcome of the door panels and dash on my truck. i THINK it only took 2 cans, but it may have been 3 to do all 3 pieces. 2 for the dash (didn't want to have to pull it out and do it twice) and little less than 1 per door (apply in thin coats, so the more 'solid surface' you have and less loss in overspray, the further it will 'go' i think the last half can was for touch ups on the lower doors until they completely cured. just scuff it well with steel wool/scotch bright and clean well with NAPTHA and all will be good

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
since i haven't started a build thread for the kaiser yet, i figured id put this hear. its a quickie ? regarding engine mounts since it seems like a few of you have done some cummins swaps..

what do y'all think of this for a mount/frame brace?

the frame rails are further apart than a chevy or dodge, so just buying an aftermarket cummins swap kit is out..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
I had to do a double take...they must be brothers with different fathers!

...okay, so they're not that close, but the camera angle is the same!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:10:26 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
ill trade ya..? hahah jk. i really want to do a 1st gen crew build. badly. theres a guy locally selling an '93 extended cab cummins with rebuilt trans.. its very tempting

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
sweet score from a guy on CL

pulled from a mid 00s durango. he didn't have any in stock, but told him what i was looking for and he said he'd keep an eye out for me. a week later he calls and lets me know he may have some, snaps some pics and away we go. dunno what he put on them to clean them up so nicely, but they look brand new. don't even look like anything has ever been set on them.

both heated (got both factory switches as well) both powered

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 04:26:01 PM »
Really Nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
Really Nice!

they sit rreeeeealllly nice.. watched TV a few nights in them. hahah

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
That is wyorunners 4 door "Hank" . He has a build thread here. http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1312.0
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »
That is wyorunners 4 door "Hank" . He has a build thread here. http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1312.0

i saw it earlier, going to be a cool truck. love a first gen crew cab

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 01:07:22 AM »

i saw it earlier, going to be a cool truck. love a first gen crew cab

One day maybe! Our current goal is get it running and safely drivable. So everything off my donor is going on the crew cab. Nothing fancy just part for part. Once it's good to go, then will come the fancy. Too much going on right now to have two non running trucks around, one which will eventually be sold off as bones to the scrap yard. Sure do love the crew cab though, it's ginormous in side. Had me, my wife and our son in the front seat, and our dogs moose Millie and monstro in the back seat. Moose is the smallest at 80lbs, Millie is about 100, and I'm guessing monstro is currently about 130-140. They're all Danes. I mention this nonsense just to kind of put a comfortable size perspective on the back seat! Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
thats what i would love to have. don't get me wrong, i love my power stroke, but something about those old square bodies makes for a ton of room inside. maybe its less vertical curve from rocker to roofline, or thinner doors or something. they just feel huge inside. and to have one with a 'primative' drive train with all the extra frills on the inside a new one has would just be too cool. can't go to the lot and drive one away with the stroke of the pen.. which i love.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 11:19:48 PM »
newest bit of goodies going on the first gen. stainless steel victor reinz exhaust manifold gaskets, turbo gasket, turbo oil feed and drain tube gasket/ring, SS exhaust manifold bolts and turbo studs. Hope to have it all put on after my trip to upstate NY this week.. but might get a wild hair and do it tmrw/tues.

thinking about moving the pyro sensor to before the turbo (since ill have the entire manifold pulled to clean and paint before putting it back together) so as to increase its accuracy. also going to pull the turbo and give it a good cleaning and clear coat the aluminum.. always liked the way that looked down there. may even pull the valve covers off and take them down to bare aluminum too.. make it a sibling to the 5.9 in the Kaiser.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
oops..

hoping to get it all cleaned up, painted the same scheme as the Kaiser (manifold and coolant lines) and reassembled tomorrow. time will tell..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »
cleaned up and painted manifold with stainless hardware. great guy in Charlotte NC for some quality gaskets and hardware. i can get anyone in touch with him if they'd like.

alittle weird backlighting.. but you can get the idea.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Nice!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
so.. i've got my eye on a getrag 360 from a 1st gen. full assortment of swap parts. everything i'd need minus master and slave cylinder. ($150ish online) i know it's not a 4500.. but it'll get me away from the 3 speed and at least set up for a 4500 should i run across one at a reasonable price. ive always wanted and thought a 5 speed for the ol girl would be sweet. better mileage, pulling ability and highway speeds. plus.. a really cool sound. hahah.

..thoughts?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
Sure, I can see that

Budget build and all things considered, sounds fine

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
so one vote of confidence.. hahah. and yes sir.. it'll be more of a budget swap than full on frame-off top of the line build. 5.9 is stock minus a stage 2 fuel pin. almost stock tire size. 3.07 gears (may look for for 3.54s if the build goes through) and the truck doesn't pull all that much. it would just be better on the hwy and more fun to drive. ive got the guy to $1k for all of it.. which doesn't sound unreasonable. it's been rebuilt at some point in the not too distant past. tcase looks good. none of it is covered in oil (except inside of bellhousing.. most likely a leaking rear main seal from the truck it came from) pedals are all there. tcase shifter. etc. drive shafts don't have to be altered bc it's a 727.. not 518. seems to be a straight forward swap. would be cool if it goes through..

OldKooT

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
I just sold a 29 spline 205 for $750 last week. So a grand is a decent price if all is intact. You will also need the slave cylinder support bracket up under the dash. And a hole for the floor....LoL

If the seller will allow remove the shirt cover and check the forks for abuse/wear and tke a sample of oil and look for metals. Improperly rebuilt getrags are common... very few properly rebuild them.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
the guy ended up selling the trans while i was out of town. no harm no foul. i didn't 'need' it.. but would have been cool to have a 5 speed. another will come along eventually i'm hoping. he still has the pedal assembly, which is nice to know. the truck runs great.. and only has slight wandering in steering which will be addressed with a borgeson shaft (not the coupler my dad accidentally bought..) and a different steering gear. i believe that's where most of my slop is coming from.. despite still having that junky bell coupler on it.  i tackled somethings that's been bugging me for about but didn't effect anything mechanically.. and that was the fuel gauge. it's never read more than 3/4-7/8 slammed full of fuel, and lately it's been going to empty after only 100-130 miles. so, i pulled a board off the bed, slipped the sending unit out to inspect.  there was alittle but if just gunk on the float lever and workings. so i disassembled, cleaned and inspected. i hypothesized that the diesel residue on the contactors was impeding a proper resistance reading, so with alittle scotch bright and brake cleaner i went to work. once cleaned, i noticed that the 2 small springed contacts that ride the inside of the sending unit had worn. one with a hole in it maybe the size of a pin head. so, out come the soldering iron to put a dab on the end of each to build back up and create a better surface. cleaned the 3 points to which the wires from top plug come down and hook to the sender, reassembled and 'bench tested' it. the tank is completely full. and when i checked what 'full' was out of the truck, it was between 7/8 and full. which it had never done before. i tested 'half' on the float and it too seemed to be on point with the gauge. empty was empty. so back in the truck it went, now awaiting real life results.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
the guy ended up selling the trans while i was out of town. no harm no foul. i didn't 'need' it.. but would have been cool to have a 5 speed. another will come along eventually i'm hoping. he still has the pedal assembly, which is nice to know. the truck runs great.. and only has slight wandering in steering which will be addressed with a borgeson shaft (not the coupler my dad accidentally bought..) and a different steering gear. i believe that's where most of my slop is coming from.. despite still having that junky bell coupler on it.  i tackled somethings that's been bugging me for about but didn't effect anything mechanically.. and that was the fuel gauge. it's never read more than 3/4-7/8 slammed full of fuel, and lately it's been going to empty after only 100-130 miles. so, i pulled a board off the bed, slipped the sending unit out to inspect.  there was alittle but if just gunk on the float lever and workings. so i disassembled, cleaned and inspected. i hypothesized that the diesel residue on the contactors was impeding a proper resistance reading, so with alittle scotch bright and brake cleaner i went to work. once cleaned, i noticed that the 2 small springed contacts that ride the inside of the sending unit had worn. one with a hole in it maybe the size of a pin head. so, out come the soldering iron to put a dab on the end of each to build back up and create a better surface. cleaned the 3 points to which the wires from top plug come down and hook to the sender, reassembled and 'bench tested' it. the tank is completely full. and when i checked what 'full' was out of the truck, it was between 7/8 and full. which it had never done before. i tested 'half' on the float and it too seemed to be on point with the gauge. empty was empty. so back in the truck it went, now awaiting real life results.
Duane has one.
He purchased a torn down 91 W250 a couple years ago for the cummins and drivetrain to repower his 76 power wagon

I am trying to either buy it from him or just get him to make it an auto or at least a newer 5 or 6-speed

Want me to ask him?

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »
sure. certainly can't hurt! thank you sir.

it's not pressing.. just bc it runs so dag on good like it is. and.. i just bought a house. be hard to justify spending $$ on a part that already works! hahah

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
Engaged, buying houses, getting all domesticated on us huh?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
i know it. don't tell anyone.. don't want to ruin my reputation. hahaha

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
Aren't you glad that God forgives sin! ;-))

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

you mean the part where i buy something that may or may not work to replace something that 100% works as intended..? hahaha

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »

you mean the part where i buy something that may or may not work to replace something that 100% works as intended..? hahaha

Well, yea, that too...

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »
took the door panels out and stuck on some hush mat (dyna) inside both doors and man did it make a difference. went from tin can doors to pieces of ply wood. can't wait to take it down the road and see what it did. also, mounted my fixed male plug for the block heater in the front bumper. no more fumbling around in the dark to the hanging loose end. just walk up, flip the cover and plug it in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal