Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hello from Texas
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
I was asked to write an introduction so here it goes. I am Jared Herzog. I have followed you guys for a while and came over from Duramax Forum when Don made the move. I am in Dripping Springs, Texas. It is here where we are building our current home. We are living on site while we do the entire thing on our own so i can teach my oldest daughter how everything goes together.
I am a builder who learned all i could from my father and grandfather. My grandfather built custom homes his whole life and worked into his 80’s. From there i hired different trades on our projects and worked with them to learn some more. I have my own small construction company at this time. My Uncle is also a builder so we work on projects together when we have the opportunity. This is adventurous since the two of us are of the same mindset. He teaches prepping/survival in our area and got me involved with his different groups. From there we have done rain water collection, underground bunkers, hidden rooms, strong doors and such in addition to standard construction projects.
I would not ever consider myself an expert at anything because there is always more to learn. I am sort of well rounded in regards to construction so hope to be able to help with questions on building and home maintenance.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »
sounds good jared.  but I do feel bad that you have to be so close to all that libtardedness that goes on there in "keep Austin weird".........
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
Keep the weird in Austin. I greatly dislike that town. I usually only go there once or twice a year and only if necessary. Once you get 20 miles out it is much more conservative with the country people. The roads in Austin have become parking lots. The middle class can not afford to live there. It is sad what has happened.
I grew up in Kyle south of Austin. My family has been in this county since the mid 1800’s. A lot has changed but there are still good people all around.
Thankfully i spend most of my time working at ranch properties and way out away from the crowds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:37:43 PM by Jared Herzog »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »
Jared. Howdy officially. I’m a fifth generation Texan and my family is originally from around lovelady, which oddly enough is not far from where my retirement/hide is. I’m aiming to get out of Houston as soon as I can but a good paying job keeps funding my hide and retirement. Thanks for all your help with the Casita. If you are ever in Houston look me up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
Well one Jared from a neighbor to the north

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Glad you are here sir.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:01 AM »
Now that’s an intro I can learn from.  Welcome to the group, lots of Texan support on the forum.  Any chance you either hunt hogs or have an off affection with red? Lol

It’s late I need to be sleepin

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
I do like Texas. Many of our customers are retired folks from Houston. Make money in Houston then get out as fast as they could. We have family in Conroe and Magnolia.
I have never hunted hogs. They are all over though. One night i was coming home and i thought there was a cow in the road. They roam the roads here near the house. Then all of a sudden it took OFF. A rocket. It was the largest hog i have ever seen near the place. A cow looking projectile with short legs. The kids are still convinced they can hand catch a piglet and make it a pet. We will see. They do not believe me when i say they are mini rockets.
The last twenty minutes to my house is at 20 miles per hour with both lanes of travel only slightly wider than my dually. We actually drive through roads that weave through ranches with cows on the county roads. It is a pretty hidden spot out of the way. I am 45 minutes from the outer edge of Austin. An hour from San Antonio. And 50 minutes from San Marcos. I wish i could be more remote but i need to be near where i work. When i quit working i want to move near Junction or Kerrville. Possibly out past Fredericksburg toward enchanted rock state park. Somewhere where people will not be able to walk to without water and good health.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
Jared, I'll pm you my number.  If you ever need someone to check on your family in Magnolia or Conroe let me know.  My parents are in Magnolia and I drive through Conroe often.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
I used to date a girl who had family in Leakey about 40 mins N of Concan.  It’s in the middle of ranch country and you had to ford a creek to get to the property.  It was fully secluded with its own dam.  It was the clearest sky I have ever seen and all the Axis deer you could eat!  I think about it all the time.  To bad her and I couldn’t work things out because I hate Im never going back!
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
Jared, I'll pm you my number.  If you ever need someone to check on your family in Magnolia or Conroe let me know.  My parents are in Magnolia and I drive through Conroe often.
That's RMN right there!

Real Man Networkin'
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
I know Concan and Leaky pretty well. We go to Garner State Park many times each year. I would like to have some land there but the job prospects are thin.
There are some well known roads to ride a motorcycle on near there. I think they are known as the twisted sisters and the landscape is beautiful.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
yeah, Garner is awesome.  We like to go over winter break and there are usually less than 30 campsites occupied.  We stay in the "new " loop where they have 50 amp connections and its so peaceful as opposed to the summer when they are completely packed.

They also have a bicycle ride across some of those twisty hills.  Crazy they do it in the 100 degree heat.  I rode down the road on my bike from the park for about 15 miles and it was brutal...and that was when I was used to doing 50 without a problem. 

I do have to say I think about "deep in the heart of Texas" every night I'm there.  The stars are amazing

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »
Too bad you sold the glamper trn
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 12:43:49 AM »
We love winter time camping there also. Pretty much the park to ourselves. They stock the river in January and the kids catch a lot of trout. We try to stay almost one week each month during the slow season.
At the top of old baldy just back a ways is the second cave. The first is crystal cave near the rangers house.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 11:37:29 PM »
We love winter time camping there also. Pretty much the park to ourselves. They stock the river in January and the kids catch a lot of trout. We try to stay almost one week each month during the slow season.
At the top of old baldy just back a ways is the second cave. The first is crystal cave near the rangers house.
So you have any updates on the house build?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal