GENERAL TOPICS > Adventure

Bear Country

<< < (2/5) > >>

Flyin6:
Chest rigs, hmmm
That's a lot of gun sticking out there.
My crew chiefs in Afghanistan and Iraq often carried their G19s or M9s in a chest rig, but that was because the Molle allowed for a quick attachment, and their flying vests sometimes had straps hanging off their sides to clip into the aircraft floor.
I considered/am considering a cross draw but, as I said earlier, I have worn and practiced drop leg for literally decades.
And on the 930, I am completely comfortable using that for the camp.
Actually, I am trying to not make this "Bear" thing so much of a thing. The likelihood of a bear encounter probably approaches zero, and I know that. But Kat is just consumed by the prospect. So I am going overboard with this to appease her.
If it were just me, well, I might buy the 629 anyway, just because I love that gun, but I would be good with just continuing to carry the 930 and rely on it, as I have for many years now.

stlaser:
Well Chief, if you are really itching for a bear encounter they haul the Montana problem grizzlies up to the back side of a lake in the mountains about ten miles from my place as a crow flies. Called spar lake and plenty of beautiful campsites you can share with them. We’ve gone kayaking up there a couple times, doesn’t get any better than that…..

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: stlaser on February 05, 2024, 09:10:39 PM ---Well Chief, if you are really itching for a bear encounter they haul the Montana problem grizzlies up to the back side of a lake in the mountains about ten miles from my place as a crow flies. Called spar lake and plenty of beautiful campsites you can share with them. We’ve gone kayaking up there a couple times, doesn’t get any better than that…..

--- End quote ---
Itchin' you say?
You kiddin'?
If we have a bear encounter, I can forget dragging Kat out anymore on these off road adventures!

TexasRedNeck:
Well, I’ve weighed in on what I plan to get for my next bear country adventure (500 S&W)

However, if you go with the 629, I have one and have worked up a nice load for it.  It’s 240gn at 1450 fps.  A bit hot but it will get-r-dun

The G20, I have a 22# wolf spring, a KKM barrel (dont hot load a factory glock barrel, its not supported enough underneath and you can have a bulge or blowout). I have 200gn rounds loaded at 1350 FPS (which is the same ballistics as a .41mag revolver)

I can provide the recipe if you want to give them a whirl.

You know how to tell black bear from grizzly scat?  Black bear scat has berries and seeds in it.  Grizzly scat has bells and smells like pepper spray….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flyin6:
Thanks for the info Tex.

I knew that about bear scat...

No time to do anything custom this year. Only months before we blast off.

Definitely going to be the 629, just too much history, and I already am buying loads for it.

Never had a problem with bear.

But I have had some issues with rattlers.

There was that one that crawled into my Chinook....
And the one Kat was standing about a foot away from in Zion last spring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version