Hello Guest

Author Topic: New toy...Tree Scissors  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New toy...Tree Scissors
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »
Well, not scissors, but a "Tree Shear"

I don't own one yet, but am considering purchasing one. They run from a low of around $3,000 for a 12 " capable, manual rotation, up to well over $15K!

The one pictured here that I am considering is a bit under $6,000 and will easily snip a 14" tree, 1" off the ground then snip it into firewood lengths with no manual effort on my part, save my pushing some buttons and moving a lever whilst enjoyin' the heat and stereo music in my comfy cab.

This one is a "Power Axe" by Quick Attach.

Life is all about attachments, isn't it???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New toy...Tree Scissors
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
Remember: Don is converting to a wood fired boiler for his toasty warm tootsies this and coming winters...

So's I use this toy to drop the tree and then slice and dice it up into firewood. Then I use my other tool set, two pre-Rangers to load said wood into my trailer. I use C-Max to drive it home where those second tool(s) then off-loads and stacks it in the garage while I sip hot chocolate and complain about my achin' back to my unsympathetic wife.

That's the plan anyway...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
You can cut it but can you control where it falls? On the cab, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »
It’s a pinch or side pass cutter?  No moving saw blade?

Imagine you could pay it off pretty fast with selling wood

What is the plan to re plant your property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »
Uh, yeah I see this going bad as in falling on your head..

Not a great idea for falling timber..
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
Come on guys. What's wrong with having the words 'Don' and 'Super High-powered Hydro Shears' in the same sentence? What could possibly go sideways?  :popcorn:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »
I’ve dropped a few trees, mainly hardwoods. They sometimes have a mind of their own. I’ve even known professionals with steel pins in their legs because one kicked wrong on a drop. Best of luck to you but I wouldn’t be dropping them with that. Cutting them into firewood chunks once on ground is a different story. But then it begs the question of why wouldn’t you just buy a processor attachment for your skid steer and cut / split wood to be able to sell the excess.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
I have seen a few different versions of this. I have never seen one in action.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to snip a 14" off and not have any control of where it is going to land.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

Replant???

It's Kentucky, things will pop up the next week

I need to open the fields up completely by removing a 20-50 foot ring of eastern cedars around say 40 acres (Thousands of trees). I'll repurpose them into lumber and smoke.

Yes, the thing just snips the tree off, and Charles, the blade edge (Wedge vs equilateral edge will shove the trunk to the left every time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
Come on guys. What's wrong with having the words 'Don' and 'Super High-powered Hydro Shears' in the same sentence? What could possibly go sideways?  :popcorn:
Nothin'

Don't speak that into my life

This is gunna work out fine!

Trust, faith my friends, have faith

You people sound like NCO's with all this whinnin'

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 05:12:52 PM »
Chief, I’m only close to one NCO and she doesn’t whine about much of anything..... other than the crap officers she is surrounded by. This woman deals with 300 plus pvts every day, but generally they are just being stupid so she doesn’t whine, but today’s occifers, oh man it’s like they forgot how to Army.....

You’d be appalled by today’s brass

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »

Replant???

I need to open the fields up completely by removing a 20-50 foot ring of eastern cedars around say 40 acres (Thousands of trees). I'll repurpose them into lumber and smoke.

Yes, the thing just snips the tree off, and Charles, the blade edge (Wedge vs equilateral edge will shove the trunk to the left every time.
Please have the Frau roll video. This should be more epic than the wheelie incident

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
Chief, I’m only close to one NCO and she doesn’t whine about much of anything..... other than the crap officers she is surrounded by. This woman deals with 300 plus pvts every day, but generally they are just being stupid so she doesn’t whine, but today’s occifers, oh man it’s like they forgot how to Army.....

No doubt I would. But for the most part the narrow segment of the Armee I was in remains well separated from the regular army. The way we operated was getting to be so different than the mainstream forces that compatiblity with us working with them was just not there. In my opinion safety is to blame. In spec ops we are focused on getting the mission done. The regular Army is focused on not getting people hurt, so they have all these checks and balances which amounts to tactical red tape. Heck by the time they get permission to do something, we have already done it, are back in the chock blocks eatin' our spaghetti.
So if you serve in those small team places that require a whole bunch of training to get in to, then you operate behind a veil that the regular forces do not get to peer behind.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »

Replant???

Please have the Frau roll video. This should be more epic than the wheelie incident

Check out the vids C. The blade pushes the highly compressed wood apart in the desired direction. There is also a push bar that is fitted well above the blade that helps push the tree away from you. Finally, that Kubota has an armored top, as in pretty thick steel.

So at the moment, I had a unit picked out, but have since then shifted directions to looking at another unit. I may pull the trigger on that one and show it off here and on the hide site thread.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »

No doubt I would. But for the most part the narrow segment of the Armee I was in remains well separated from the regular army. The way we operated was getting to be so different than the mainstream forces that compatiblity with us working with them was just not there. In my opinion safety is to blame. In spec ops we are focused on getting the mission done. The regular Army is focused on not getting people hurt, so they have all these checks and balances which amounts to tactical red tape. Heck by the time they get permission to do something, we have already done it, are back in the chock blocks eatin' our spaghetti.
So if you serve in those small team places that require a whole bunch of training to get in to, then you operate behind a veil that the regular forces do not get to peer behind.

Oh man don’t even get me started about red tape. They did a 7 mile ruck had to re-recon the route after we got several days of rain to ensure the platoons could still ruck it.. I lost my mind a little on that one, as our feet are pretty agile and can take us lots of places, specifically ANYWHERE this installation has to offer before, during and after heavy rains.

But yes, you did operate in an entirely different entity. Wish she would go get on with them. Then she could just aid in bad guy removal instead of tradoc horse manure.  Ehh, either way life is still a blessing every day!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
That cutter would save some man hours for sure (maybe a few chainsaws to). Now you just need a grinder for the stumps if you really plan to clear the land.

Maybe when you cut, you could add a rack to it so the trees can't fall on you?

Recon a hicking route? Boy Scouts don't do that!

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
He has an excavator, ultimate grinder....

Offline DOOLEY

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
DON. I AM A FAN OF MECHANICAL HELP, BUT WHEN I WAS 16 OR 17 I COULD CUT A 20 TO 50 FOOT CIRCLE I A DAY WITH A CHAINSAW. YOU ALL READY HAVEONE. WHY WASTE THE MONEY AND TAKE A CHANCE WITH KILLING YOURSELF. YOU TRAINED IN THE ARMY TO LIVE AT ALL COST. USE YOUR HEAD AND TEACH THE PRE RANGERS HOW TO FELL A TREE, AND SAVE THE MONEY. I AM GETTING OLD AND FEEL ITS TIME TO TEACH THE YOUNGENS THE OLD TRUED AND TRIED WAYS CAUSE THEY WORK. YOU WANT TO SAVE TIME? LOOK AT AN ATTACHMENT THAT SPLITS WOOD FROM THE CAB OF SPUD. MUCH SAFER AND THE PRE RANGERS ARE STILL TAUGHT WORK ETHIC. JUST SAYIN CAUSE I LIKE YA LIKE A BROTHER. IF YA WANTA SEE WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT JUST SWING BY THE STORE. I DONT SELL THEM BUT THINK ITS WHAT YOU NEED.

Offline DOOLEY

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
SO WHEN DO I GET BANNED FOR CARRING LOL............

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:00 PM »
Dooley, Did you mean chief?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
That cutter would save some man hours for sure (maybe a few chainsaws to). Now you just need a grinder for the stumps if you really plan to clear the land.

Maybe when you cut, you could add a rack to it so the trees can't fall on you?

Recon a hicking route? Boy Scouts don't do that!

THose things cut off at ground level. One wack and the thing's gone for good

For the really big stuff, Shawn is right on, I have an excavator. Trees stand No, and I mean NOOO CHANCE against that thing

I dug up a stump that was easily 24" in diameter yesterday in about 2 minutes, then picked it up with the bucket and tossed it over the hill, all from the heated comfort of the cab. That was before that hydraulic hose let go...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »
DON. I AM A FAN OF MECHANICAL HELP, BUT WHEN I WAS 16 OR 17 I COULD CUT A 20 TO 50 FOOT CIRCLE I A DAY WITH A CHAINSAW. YOU ALL READY HAVEONE. WHY WASTE THE MONEY AND TAKE A CHANCE WITH KILLING YOURSELF. YOU TRAINED IN THE ARMY TO LIVE AT ALL COST. USE YOUR HEAD AND TEACH THE PRE RANGERS HOW TO FELL A TREE, AND SAVE THE MONEY. I AM GETTING OLD AND FEEL ITS TIME TO TEACH THE YOUNGENS THE OLD TRUED AND TRIED WAYS CAUSE THEY WORK. YOU WANT TO SAVE TIME? LOOK AT AN ATTACHMENT THAT SPLITS WOOD FROM THE CAB OF SPUD. MUCH SAFER AND THE PRE RANGERS ARE STILL TAUGHT WORK ETHIC. JUST SAYIN CAUSE I LIKE YA LIKE A BROTHER. IF YA WANTA SEE WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT JUST SWING BY THE STORE. I DONT SELL THEM BUT THINK ITS WHAT YOU NEED.
Larry,
I don't see anything wrong with these tree shears. Heck what could a cedar tree do after falling over the guard and smacking the steel enclosure of the CTL anyway. I'm not felling sequoias or anything, Probably just dead Ash, the cedars and locust up to 5" or so. I've seen the result of a chain coming apart but safely stopped by men's shoulders, face and appendages. Now that is horrible. I would respectfully disagree and believe tree shears which are in use all over are safe enough when used correctly.
I know about those splitters, but with this wood stove you don't need to split the wood. It eats whole logs just fine.

Offline DOOLEY

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
DON I HAVE A DEAR DEAR FRIEND, NOT MANY, BUT THIS ONE IS, AND HE ALMOST KILLED HIS DAD FROM A WIDDOW MAKER, JUST CUTTINGN WOOD TO SELL TO GET BY, HE WAS IN AN EXCAVATOR AND HIS DAD WAS ON THE GROUND. I JUST CAREAND DONT WANT ANYONE HURT. THERE IS AN ATTAVHMENT THAT CAN SPLIT AND CARRY AND MOVE WOOD ON THE GROUD. AND SAFELY, SWING BY AND ILL SHOW YOU. I CANT SELL THEM. NO MONEY TO BE MADE BY ME. JUST WANT YOU TO SEE IT. REMEMBER.... I DONT CARE ABOUT THE MONEY..... JUST MY CUSTOMERS, DONT CARE IF I AM THE ONE MAKING THE MONEY OR NOT

Offline DOOLEY

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
AND REMEMBER..... YOU SAID IT A MANUAL TWIST AND A POWER CUT......... JUST SAYIN, NO CONTROL.... I'D LOVE TO SHOW YOU A FECON...... IT HAS SOME CONTROL..... BUT ALOT OF MONEY..... YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND.... YOU HAVE A CHAINSAW

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »
Don, didn't you try to crush yourself with a rock a few months back? It can happen!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
Don, I had an 24” ash barber chair on me in my late 20’s. Friend of mine was a professional, after that incident I had him come inspect the cut / scene. I did it right and almost still got killed (crushed), to this day felling trees is not something I enjoy & know that even the best laid plans can go amiss. I’ve also been around enough equipment to know to be very cautious of that device. I don’t care for it, I’ve stated my peace. Good luck on your endevour.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Don, have you considered something like this?

gives you more control with the upper grip and you'd be using a piece of equipment (track hoe) that is much heavier than the tree
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:56:00 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Charles, please stop! Professional logging equipment? Say it aint so...  :popcorn:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »
Man you people!

Ever hear such an uproar over nothing at all?  :knucklehead:

It's a tree shear for gosh sakes, not an ticking atom bomb:facepalm:

And you're in a steel enclosure!  :likebutton:

Geeze! I think there is about an equal chance of gettin' hit by a meteor or fried by a solar flare.

OK, yaw (You all) back to day dreamin. conspiracy theories and what if-thinkin'  :beercheers:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:11:39 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
Or a big rock coming through the window?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
what ever you attached to you post don is not working?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
Or a big rock coming through the window?
It was kinda like a meteor

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
If I have to guess.  If it can happen it will happen to you out at the Hide

Aside from running that track hoe into the pond you are always working on.   I would simply say you are accident prone

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
If I have to guess.  If it can happen it will happen to you out at the Hide

Aside from running that track hoe into the pond you are always working on.   I would simply say you are accident prone

It's not that I'm accident prone

It is just that I'm very active.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
Is that what you told HH6 after the dirt bike incident? :tongue:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
Is that what you told HH6 after the dirt bike incident? :tongue:

Well, the act proves my point. Being 60+ and still riding (sort of) wheelies is atypical I'd say...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 01:22:28 AM »
 :popcorn:

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal