Hello Guest

Author Topic: Nitto Terra Grappler mini review.  (Read 1983 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Nitto Terra Grappler mini review.
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
Well I had these tires put on my Dodge about 5000 miles ago.  Size is 305-55-20. They were about the cheapest tire I could find at the local Discount Tire that was in stock. I was in a bind because I had a deadline to meet for my new job and had to drive the 1500 miles pulling my camper from San Antonio to Ohio.  The tires I had were pretty worn and I didn't want to risk the drive on bad tires and jeopardize my new job by not making it to my first day on time.

I've read many reviews on these tires and all seem to be decent so I figured I would be ok.

As some of you have seen my work takes me off road on a daily basis.  Mostly loose dirt and small loose rocks the size of your head on down.   I'm starting to think that the off roading I do is a little more than your typical tire reviewer.  I am not impressed with these tires whatsoever.  They do ok in dry dirt but if it's a little bit muddy they cake up and just spin.  I'm not expecting mud tire performance from these. But I have to  put it in 4wd just to get back into the highway from a slightly slimy road entrance.  Now some of the hills I climb require 4wd and when it's in 4x4 They do ok but I've had tires in the past that would go places in 2wd that these require 4wd.  I had falken high country ATs before these and I was much happier with their performance.   They also are starting to lose some chunks on the rear.  I've been at this job long enough to know the large rock we use for road approaches and the blasted rock that comes out of the ditch is hard on tires. But to see it after only 3000 miles or so of on and off road is a little to much.   They are quiet on the street and handle pretty good on road so I figure I should throw that out there.

Just wanted to throw this out into our world so maybe someone could use the info.  For dirt roads and mostly highway use they at fine.  I just need a little bit more performance than what these provide.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Nitto Terra Grappler mini review.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
Definitely good to know thanks. I think it's always tough to find that happy medium between great off road performance coupled with on road manners and life. I get that one may only need the off road capability 10% of the time but when you need it you NEED it! And 3K miles seems a bit light for damage.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »
I've ran a couple set of these into the ground.
I'm slowly working to the top it seems, and may be there now.
They were pretty tough, but like you are noticing they plain tore up.
I live at the end of a 200 mile gravel road (crushed black shale primarily) (AKA arrowheads) and they did ok, but not great.
Handling and drivability, just as you have stated, dry all good, gooey not so much, snow...decent at best.
My trouble is the road, 20k tops out of a set.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »
I live at the end of a 200 mile gravel road (crushed black shale primarily) (AKA arrowheads) and they did ok, but not great.
Handling and drivability, just as you have stated, dry all good, gooey not so much, snow...decent at best.

Yeah they're just too soft. The off road performance as stated is always a compromise and I'll know better next time.   Hopefully I can get the ford fixed up quick and use it more.  Then when the tires go out on it I'm looking at probably the gnarliest off road tire I can get.  I hate being stuck especially in a place where I should have made it through.  It's also embarrassing too when you have to walk out and find a dozer to come pull me out.  It's like admitting defeat no one ever wants to do that haha
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:44:41 PM by husker77c »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

200 mile!? Is that a typo?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Sam's in bfe....not a typo.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
Nope, it's 200 miles of gravel.
I'm literally at the end of the road.

I use gravel loosely, as it's more crushed black shale and granite.
Very hard on tires.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
How long is the trip to the grocery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »
Have store in town. Produce is terrible. Buy today rotten tomorrow.
It's really not that bad, but almost. Week at best.

Good groceries I bring in from the city when we're out. (700 miles)
Will get a month out of carefully picked produce.

Or for in between quality just a quick trip across that 200.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 11:41:31 PM »
Is there any pavement on the 700 mile journey?

....and, I thought the people in our attic used the kilometer measurement. :pokesam
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
Yes, once over the 200 miles it's all paved.
Some maybe shouldn't be but it is.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal