Hello Guest

Author Topic: Big box tire shopping  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Big box tire shopping
« on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:12 PM »
Well I did something I never do-

I always support my local shops when I need new tires. I buy them from the four wheel drive shop and have another guy mount and balance. It generally ties up about four to five hours of my time once it's all said and done and I'm generally out around 1300 bucks.

Well I needed tires in a bad way, really bad way and called the new discount tire in my area. Tires were on the shelf!! I haggled for a minut and the guy quoted me $1000.03 out the door with lifetime rotation and balancing. New generation  BFG KO2's. He assured me their tires would come out of the same factory the other local guys tires did... In other words they weren't Sam Walton specials.

So I pulled in the drive and bit. My card cleared at 1506. I was on the interstate test driving at 1557. The crew paid damn close attention to protect my wheels and all three guys working on my truck, while I watched came over, shook my hand, thanked me for my service (veteran tag) and introduced themselves at one point or another during the process! I was super impressed!

Local guys never did that and hated me watching. I still won't use wal mart, but these guys might have a new customer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Big box tire shopping
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »
I have been a Discount Tire/Americas Tire customer for over 20 years now.

Best service anywhere, and nationwide warranty.  What they may not have told you is: if you blow a tire due to a covered road hazard, and you're not near a DT/AT store they will reimburse you the cost of the new tire you buy at another store.  They won't cover the labor, just the tire.  But that is some darn good coverage right there.

Every time I pick up a used car or any new car, I take it to them for free rotations, balancing and flat tire repairs.  They put my name in the computer, and it's "yes sir, Mr. Anthony we'll get you right on the lift, and on your way".

They know when it's time for new tires on whatever car it is, I'm coming to them.

Another thing, the way my wife burns through 60k mile rated tires in 20k miles, I get the prorated warranty price on all new tires.

So, yeah... when my co-workers are giving me the stink eye because they hear I shell out a grand for a set of tires, I tell them it comes with peace of mind.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Nice to hear HC.

I've been a discount guy for 15 years.  I won't buy a tire anywhere else.  As little mileage as many of my vehicles get there have been times when a warranty for a road hazard was for a tire that had been discontinued and they prorated the other three and put on a new set.  They never charge me for little stuff like a socket for my splined lug nuts that came on a truck I bought or a new center cap for some wheels I bought from them when I lost one.

Good guys all around. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
It's Tire Discounters around here if you ever need tires in the eastern Indiana/northern kentucky/south western Ohio area.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
Nice to hear HC.

I've been a discount guy for 15 years.  I won't buy a tire anywhere else.  As little mileage as many of my vehicles get there have been times when a warranty for a road hazard was for a tire that had been discontinued and they prorated the other three and put on a new set.  They never charge me for little stuff like a socket for my splined lug nuts that came on a truck I bought or a new center cap for some wheels I bought from them when I lost one.

Good guys all around. 

Same here. Best prices, best service. It's just a crying shame that they don't do alignments.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »
in the PNW I am like tater and frequent uncle schwab
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:42:06 AM »
Out here where I am I would have an hour drive to get to a discount tire. If there even is one around here. I just go talk to TJ at one of the 3 local auto shops. I tell him what I want. We pull it up on the computer. We compare with other brands and decide on a tire. Next day he gets them in. I drop off my vehicle before work and pick it up after we quit. Then he sends me a bill.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
I used to have that relationship with our co-op. But alas no co-op where I live now. They were my one stop shop from propane to feed to seed to cow supplies and tires and all petroleum products. Then they would invoice me monthly and at the end of the year if our co op was doing good, we would get a dividend check right before Christmas at a percentage of what you had spent with them over the year. It was a pretty good deal. I'm sure y'all have something similar up your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal