Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/bugout site build thread Part 1  (Read 196752 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/bugout site build thread
« Reply #650 on: February 05, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »
Ok, more questions? You said washer / dryer & fridge? I assume you have a well & septic & electricity on property or are those all needed improvements?
Water: No Plan is to bury a 1500 gal tank and use that. Supply will be initially from the friendly water truck, then from gutter catch system. Plan is to have electric water pump powered by solar charged bank of batteries.

Electricity: I have a transformer overhead the site so local power backed up by a gas generator, then in the future the solar bank, a wind turbine I want to make myself from an old Case generator, and then when I find one, an old huge cast iron diesel generator that will run on veggie oil.

Septic: Existing system, however I plan to dig in a new one that is close to the surface (Newer style) and create a Texas redneck style veggie garden overhead
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:30:30 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 05, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
Other thought is maybe it was used for tobacco? Corn isn't that popular in the tuk where as tobacco always has been. My BIL runs 400 head of cattle over near Louisville & a couple of his barns were solely for drying tobacco......
Tobacco is likely as this was a working tobacco farm until about 35 years ago. Then they hayed it for a couple then it fell into disuse. But the more I look at it, that inner structure is less refined (Round rough hewn logs) then the more square peg style beams used for parts of the barn.

In any event, it will be reused not torched.

I will sell it for operating cash if I can.

If that doesn't work, then I think I could take that apart carefully, then reassemble on another site, chink up the cracks and create a cool cabin space that celebrates the farm's past while providing something useful like animal shelter, to a prayer room, to a cozy one room cabin for visitors...who knows...Maybe even a place to park SquareD or Sarge!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 05, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
I just might line the inside of the shed with the barn wood. Sure make for a cool look!

One of the local Mennonite families I buy fresh eggs from did something similar to that. Took the wood from an old school that was being torn down, the father cleaned it up, and put it inside their house. It looks pretty good.
Was talkin' to miss Kathy last night about that...paneling the inside of this new shed with that wood. She replied "You're not using that pretty wood in that crappy shed you're building!"

So now I'm building a crappy shed!

I might do it just for spite ;-)))

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
Ouch.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 05, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »
Was talkin' to miss Kathy last night about that...paneling the inside of this new shed with that wood. She replied "You're not using that pretty wood in that crappy shed you're building!"

If you sand it down lightly and put some varnish or clear stain on it to bring out the wood grain, I THINK she'll like it. But then again, I don't know the 6 element, so I can't make a comment.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
If those logs are hardwood you should have no problem selling them if they are free of nails. They should have a very tight grain.

& as far as the wife unit, pick your battles wisely. Not using the wood may help in an effort to build other structures down the road where you can use the wood as a leverage point.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:37:39 AM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »

If you sand it down lightly and put some varnish or clear stain on it to bring out the wood grain, I THINK she'll like it. But then again, I don't know the 6 element, so I can't make a comment.
Bobby, That would be a fail!

You put up barn wood because of it's knotty old character. Sand it down and all you have is a twisted up old board.

Now having said that, planning some thicker beams yields beautiful wood surfaces. But if you have barn wood, best to use it as is. I think If I changed it in anyway then I'd be both stupid AND wasteful in her eyes.

When working with HH6 elements. It's best to just do what you want and ask forgiveness or avoid the subject altogether...or offset it with, Honey, look what I bought for you..."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
If those logs are hardwood you should have no problem selling them if they are free of nails. They should have a very tight grain.

& as far as the wife unit, pick your battles wisely. Not using the wood may help in an effort to build other structures down the road where you can use the wood as a leverage point.
^^^Wisdom^^^

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
Bobby, That would be a fail!

That would be a double fail, as I misread what you originally typed. I'm working with a harsh glare coming off the snow and from the angle the sun is at, so I misinterpreted, how you posted 6's comment.

Build a shooting shed/shack with the wood.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »
Or a bunker house! I doubt a 7.62 would get through any of those logs!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 05, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
Or a bunker house! I doubt a 7.62 would get through any of those logs!

Build an old school bunk house type thing. Think of a guesthouse but old school styling. Open floor plan, throw some bunks in there for sleeping, or you could also use it for a classroom or an extra dining area for picnics or large gatherings.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 05, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
OK, latest topic for discussion is the foundation.

Duane (Remember him?) and I were talking this morning. The shed is built to set on concrete blocks, and in this case, a lot of them! It's a practice that I can see clearly demonstrated already on my property, in the barn. That stack of logs is resting on stone piers which are just resting, well sank a bit into the ground.

Talking to Mike, the builder, he says his building will resist a 70mph wind as is, and when filled with all the stuff one puts in there, quite a bit more. So my concern about it being a big sail up on top of a ridge is quieted a bit, however my farm did see a tornado just last summer.

Added to the wind load thought is the fact that I'll bet that the cinder blocks will settle in a bit over time, and it is likely that I'll need to re-level the building over time, perhaps more than once.

Now the obvious solution to all that is to just add in piers and bolt the building to those piers. Mike is looking at that possibility at the moment, although he cautions he would be looking at around 30 piers sunk 36" in terra firma and concreted in place. But that would then comprise a forever structure but, it would raise the cost of the building $1500 to $2000.

Now I am at budget...so what can I do here. I don't really have the money to do the foundation, however a concreted-in pier foundation is screaming to me as the right way to go...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 05, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
OK, latest topic for discussion is the foundation.

Now the obvious solution to all that is to just add in piers and bolt the building to those piers. Mike is looking at that possibility at the moment, although he cautions he would be looking at around 30 piers sunk 36" in terra firma and concreted in place. But that would then comprise a forever structure but, it would raise the cost of the building $1500 to $2000.

Now I am at budget...so what can I do here. I don't really have the money to do the foundation, however a concreted-in pier foundation is screaming to me as the right way to go...

Can't you find someone local to do it for cheap to throw some holes in the ground? There has to be a small well drilling or construction company in the area that could do it for relatively cheap. Then you drop the piers in the hole and get the wee rangers and whoever else is free to do the concrete over a weekend. Then drop the building in place.

You could spread that out over a month or 2, then throw the building down as the budget allows. Unless you have a hard timeline that you don't want to/can't deviate from.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 05, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
Already covered this chief, 3pt post hole auger & concrete. DIY

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 05, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
Already covered this chief, 3pt post hole auger & concrete. DIY

What he said. or get real cheap and get a manual post hole digger, but the auger would be invaluable for years to come, solve your problem with a small up front investment in equipment, and then you're just looking at the cost of materials to do exactly what they want to charge you $2500 for.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 05, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Pallet of sack crete will ride on one of the trailers.  Use 2 ea. 1/2"all thread as anchor bolts set at 24 " into concrete.  Leave plenty sticking out to level structure.  Found you an auger.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/5430875774.html
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 05, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
So it appears the DOTs have all agreed that DIY, save some money for your budget and get it done correctly for the long run.

Plus, you know we'll have pics to look at so you know... that's a perk.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 05, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
Yep, the decisions have been made. DIY, save $$$ and it will never get blown away.

I have never been one for setting things on peer blacks cept decks. Sink the holes, add rods and building,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »
One of these days Don will admit defeat & listen to me from the get go. Now where's SQ D at again? Lol ;D

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 05, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
He's stubborn to the core (darn Pilutz). Maybe we're just not used to him talking about budgets and what not.

Seriously tho, I've used the heck out my auger, from planting trees, to building fences, to drilling an oil well. You just can't beat it's usefullness.

disclaimer...I may have exaggerated on building the fences.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 05, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
Just to make sure we've covered all the options, there is one other solution.  If you are adverse to mixing the concrete for the piers, they could be made out of telephone poles or 8" diameter tree trunks that you may already have laying around.  Drill the same hole with the auger as mentioned previously, insert the 4 foot long log into the 3 foot hole and tamp it in place as straight and level as you can.  When done, chainsaw the tops of all the logs nice and level.  Then you can set the shed on top and screw it down to the wood piers.  It's kind of the way I built my storage barn in another thread and the way I am building a fire wood shed right now.

In my mind it's a best, better, good situation.  Best is concrete, better is wood piers, good is concrete blocks.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 05, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
The big point here that everyone missed is this is not my job! I hired the building out. One cannot simply come into the middle of someone else's project and "Throw up some piers." :o

Second point: No matter how you spin it, it's one to two thousand dollars that I don't have right now! :(

Yea I know how to do it myself. But buying an auger or renting one, then boring all those holes, which would have to be set exactly to what the BUILDER needs, then all those 6X6 posts, then a couple tons of sack-crete, and what do you have? $1,000-$2000 and a bunch of work to achieve a foundation which may or may not meet the builders requirements! ::)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 05, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »
Boneheads!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 05, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
The big point here that everyone missed is this is not my job! I hired the building out. One cannot simply come into the middle of someone else's project and "Throw up some piers." :o

Second point: No matter how you spin it, it's one to two thousand dollars that I don't have right now! :(

Has he started working on the building yet? Have you paid yet?

If he hasn't started on the building, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you paid already, and he hasn't started working on the building or etc, then I don't think it should cause a problem for him to go into a holding pattern.

If you are already thinking about tornadoes or strong winds or whatnot, then you know it's going to be stuck in your head forever, that sneaky little "what if"

As for budget like I said, couldn't hurt to ask if it could be held off for a short bit. You re-build the budget and DIY the footings. Remember Murphy is always waiting for an opening to come in and wreak havoc.

Yea I know how to do it myself. But buying an auger or renting one, then boring all those holes, which would have to be set exactly to what the BUILDER needs, then all those 6X6 posts, then a couple tons of sack-crete, and what do you have? $1,000-$2000 and a bunch of work to achieve a foundation which may or may not meet the builders requirements! ::)

I was thinking about the DIY footings when I was at work; yes I was bored and walking through snow.

You are a smart guy (you get ONE compliment from the Infantry, just one), I'm sure you can easily follow a diagram from the builder stating that you need X amount of footings, X amount of feet apart, with a known starting point on the floor (let's just say rear left corner) showing where the footings need to be to properly emplaced (employing distance and direction) in relation to each other IOT properly and securely support the building.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:35:18 PM by BobbyB »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 05, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »
What if, you don't listen to the Bonehead DOTs??????????

Its ordered, great, not on site, great your $$$, your time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
He's stubborn to the core (darn Pilutz). Maybe we're just not used to him talking about budgets and what not.

Seriously tho, I've used the heck out my auger, from planting trees, to building fences, to drilling an oil well. You just can't beat it's usefullness.

disclaimer...I may have exaggerated on building the fences.

If I'd have known he needed one I would have donated mine a year ago....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 05, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
^^^Dang!!!^^^

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
I feel the urge to throw my two cents in to the DOT collection plate. Don, rather than acquiring and using an auger to create the holes for the recommended pylons, I think it will be more fun, and educational for the pre-rangers, to use cratering charges. If you calculate the charges correctly, and tamp them properly, you will get perfectly suitable holes with much less effort and time invested.  ;) It will also be a good learning step in the crawl-walk-run methodology to introduce calculating and designating demolitions training for the boys. By the end of the day they will be able to confidently blow a nice crater across your driveway to slow the bad guys attempting to overrun your perimeter. Or, maybe lay an abatisse across the road. Or blow a bridge, or any of a number of good ways to impede your enemies and channelize them into your kill sac!  8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:13:14 PM by cj7ox »
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 05, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
OK, update

Rafters are cut, at least some if not all of them

Got the paint numbas' PPG 13-02 Cherokee Red and 1129-7 Evergreen boughs

We fixed the foundation problem. Mike is going to set the 6X6 posts on site himself next week. Total cost of foundation was $1000 which is more than fair. Anyone wanting a building anywhere around here, so far Mike's company is looking pretty good!

Building cost so far: $8700

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2016, 04:16:57 PM »
I feel the urge to throw my two cents in to the DOT collection plate. Don, rather than acquiring and using an auger to create the holes for the recommended pylons, I think it will be more fun, and educational for the pre-rangers, to use cratering charges. If you calculate the charges correctly, and tamp them properly, you will get perfectly suitable holes with much less effort and time invested.  ;) It will also be a good learning step in the crawl-walk-run methodology to introduce calculating and designating demolitions training for the boys. By the end of the day they will be able to confidently blow a nice crater across your driveway to slow the bad guys attempting to overrun your perimeter. Or, maybe lay an abatisse across the road. Or blow a bridge, or any of a number of good ways to impede your enemies and channelize them into your kill sac!  8)

Or just blow some stuff up for fun!

Funny you should mention that Sean!

The county Attorney has offered me a blasting license. Wants me to blast out the pond...so he can watch!

Foundation problem solved!

But gonna auger in some holes up over the existing home site. I think I'm going to throw up a home built on piers. Maybe get it framed by years end...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:29:59 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
If anyone wants to contact these folks, Call Mike

859 987-7267

Custom Wood Products
1683 Cynthiana Road
Paris, KY 40361

He just confirmed all the roof rafters are now cut for my 12:12 pitch roof

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 05, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
oh great!  we have occifers talking about explosives!  where is the combat engineer when you need him.........MMMMMAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
Hey, if you need help framing up they house let me know. I'm not a professional but as with most things I know enough to be dangerous...... ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
When working with HH6 elements. It's best to just do what you want and ask forgiveness or avoid the subject altogether...or offset it with, Honey, look what I bought for you..."

Smart man right there.  Signs of a successful marriage.

Like Sean, I work for food, and I can build.  Bring Nate in to cook and I bring tools and labor.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:09:24 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 05, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »
There you go, I'll bring Nate & some tools we'll be gtg!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
You boys talkin' about a gen-u-wine Kintucky Barn raisin'?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I believe I posed that idea previously last year- tools, time, tenacity (teacher) so go ahead Don- DARE the DOT Army to come to 'Tucky with our tools and truckies and we'll raise something!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:07 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:21 PM »
We can bring tannerite & unraise a few items too!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 05, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
Startin' to sound like a Jen-you-wine
P
A
R
T
Y!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 05, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »
I have a mass amount of pto (170) hours worth, framed homes for about four years or so.   The weather sounds nice too lets do it!!

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2016, 12:10:10 AM »
You guys have all the fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »
JR, you kidding me? Who would pass on the opportunity to DOT Don in person?  ;D & if I could get Ash there it would be twice the fun!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:10:45 AM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
Rafters piled up!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 07, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »
oh great!  we have occifers talking about explosives!  where is the combat engineer when you need him.........MMMMMAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
I am here. First step to calculate correctly is to gather necessary info.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 08, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »

Well, I am a 19C, and the Army spent some time making me learn how to calculate/designate demo. Got to play around with demo a little in Iraq, too!  ;D
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 20, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
I had shelved the Privy construction since fall, since I knew there was little to no chance of getting that thing installed down there before it dried out in the spring. But spring is now approaching, so back to it. It is nearly done so I'm really just adding the last couple things. Shingling the roof and doing the vent pipe is about all that remains, along with perhaps some spot painting and "Dollin" the thing up for the Ladies.

Funny thing is, with the camper down there, and it having a porcelain seat, I wonder if it will ever see the shiny side of a female???

The boys had been using it as a sniper position, and tracked all manner of dirt inside, so I had to do a bit of a cleaning first

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 20, 2016, 05:22:28 PM »
I found a welcome matt from some office somewhere, so I just cut that down to size to make a suitable floor covering

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 20, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
Then I hung the lower door

Offline Flyin6