Hello Guest

Author Topic: whats for dinner tonight  (Read 241512 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: whats for dinner tonight
« Reply #1600 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:57 PM »
I went ol' school minnesota hotdish for dinner tonight.....

Behold, tater tot hotdish...... :beercheers:

Nate is fighting unfair again..... :angry:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 06, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »

Is that tater tots with some kind of meat gravy?

Are you seriously saying that you have never had tater tot hotdish before?!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:26 PM »

Nate is fighting unfair again..... :angry:

:evil:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
Nate, I would weigh 400# if I lived near you!

Looks like Alfredo with broiled chicken/shrimp/shrooms and a little spinach tonight.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 06, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »

Nope for me too, recipe?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: March 06, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »

Tater tot hot dish. Mmmmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 06, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
Is tater tots casserole a Midwest thing or something?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
Maybe I have??? But I do not think so.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 07, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
I will put something up today on hotdishes vs casseroles, and what tater tot hotdish is.

I have to go clear snow first.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:37:35 AM by Nate »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 07, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
Looks like SOS w/ tots instead of toast and some cheese on top. I assume you ate 90% of that sir.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
Looks like SOS w/ tots instead of toast and some cheese on top. I assume you ate 90% of that sir.

nothing like SOS, much much thicker.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 07, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »
made some quick and easy ham, potato and cauliflower soup

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=3933.msg88608#msg88608

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:55 AM »
I am just gonna leave this here to be a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 18, 2019, 02:46:42 AM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 18, 2019, 02:47:16 AM »
Really tasty.  Wife put bbq sauce on them while I was washing cars so that didn’t help and I didn’t get the temp turned down after tinfoil was removed.   Flavor was good and I will be doing a brisket with that same rub ASAP!!  New season was great.  Smelled good too while I can still smell it in my mustache

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 18, 2019, 02:48:05 AM »
I wouldn’t recommend it on brisket.

Salt pepper onion powder garlic powder cayenne and paprika.

1/4 cup salt 1/4 cup pepper and then a tbs of the others

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 18, 2019, 02:48:45 AM »
Why would you say no to it on a brisket.  Salt n pepper got old

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 18, 2019, 02:49:20 AM »
I’m sure it’d be good. Just not Texas style. Have you worked up a mop yet?  That’ll help your brisket.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:02 AM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 18, 2019, 03:04:04 AM »
Dave, you get that recipe from a trusted source? Hope it didn't come from a taco Bell commercial, or similar. ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: March 18, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
Pay no mind to Ken....he's been in FL wearing shorts with black dress socks and flip flops....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
Negative ghost rider. Never even got sand on my feet. Boots and jeans ftw.
Thanks Nate.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:51 PM »
Did some brussel sprouts and burgers in the smoker for dinner

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:14 PM »
Please elaborate on how you did the sprouts

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 18, 2019, 11:42:51 PM »

You temp probe your burgers!!! Man I clearly ain’t got the slightest clue on how to cook meat. What do you bring em up to as done?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 18, 2019, 11:56:21 PM »
Dripping blood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :evil:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:01 AM »
Nate do you reverse seat the burgers?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: March 19, 2019, 08:20:06 AM »
Please elaborate on how you did the sprouts

so when it comes to brussel sprouts, I will puke if you try to give them to me boiled.  I have had some shaved and pan fried that were ok, and some that were done in a deep fryer that were pretty good.  I honestly prefer them baked.

so when I do them.  I cut the little stalk end off, half them, coat them in a little bit of olive oil, and usually give them a shake with some urban accent veggie roaster seasoning

https://www.urbanaccents.com/product/balsamic-roasted-onion-veggie-roaster/

I put them on a tray and give them a bake at 350deg for somewhere between 30 - 45ish minutes (until they have the color and tenderness that I am looking for).  you can even drizzle a little reduced balsamic glaze or sprinkle a little finely grated parmesan cheese over them before you serve them.  I have also at times added some bacon bits as well (and I used the bacon grease in place of the olive oil to coat the sprouts).

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
Willing to try on your confidence.   I don’t like them boiled either.  Yuck!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:40 AM »
You temp probe your burgers!!! Man I clearly ain’t got the slightest clue on how to cook meat. What do you bring em up to as done?

so to answer both of your questions.....yes I did do a reverse sear on these burgers.  it was my second attempt and it turned out awesome.  and yes I did use a temp probe on these because I am still refining/learning my process for reverse sear of burgers.  I brought them up to about 130deg internal temp, let them sit for a little bit and then seared (put a little crust on the outside) them in a screaming hot/smoking cast iron skillet (about 2 minutes or less a side).

i am not even going to try and copy and paste or give a readers digest version of how to reverse sear......i will give you an actual article that not only gives you the process for reverse sear, but also gives you the science behind it.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/how-grill-better-steakhouse-steaks-recipe

I have advocated a couple of BBQ/SMOKE forums on here for folks to go and check out on their own...(we all learn at our own pace and have our own way of learning as well)...and one of those sites is the one listed above.  www.amazingribs.com  the gentleman that started/owns (i think) the site/forum is named craig meathead Goldwyn.  he published a book (in an alton brown method) called "the science of great barbecue and grilling" and in that book, he gives you the myth and them he tell you what the real story/science is behind it. 

he has sections on beef, pork, chicken, fish, vegetables, rubs, sauces, brines, hardware, software, different types of grills, smoke, etc, etc, etc

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=1d6QXK6UC-LqjwTZuY5w&q=meathead+book&oq=meathead+book&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i22i30l5.7684.8209..8500...0.0..0.242.1022.0j2j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131.vvBUI5RoBvs

I own this book and have actually read it a couple of times and still reference it at times.  one of the other places that I get a lot of knowledge, technique, science as well as recipes from is Cooks Country (they have been in business and a test kitchen for over 25 years).

https://www.cookscountry.com/

this is a quarterly magazine (yes, an actual paper magazine/booklet) that has a huge amount of information in it and not just recipes alone.  it gives you information on tricks and techniques, alternative ways of doing the same process and why certain ways are better than others, the stories/science behind some classic and very popular recipes (like the carne adovada recipe that i posted), it also gives side by side comparison tests of different culinary pieces of equipment, comparisons of different brands of the same product.

not only do they offer a quarterly publication, they also offer a printed hard backed annual as well (of the 25 years worth of annuals, we actually have over half of them).

and if you truly prefer a digital format over hard copy, they offer that as well.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:31:48 AM by Nate »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
Dripping blood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :evil:

:facepalm:

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 19, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »

so to answer both of your questions.....yes I did do a reverse sear on these burgers.  it was my second attempt and it turned out awesome.  and yes I did use a temp probe on these because I am still refining/learning my process for reverse sear of burgers.  I brought them up to about 130deg internal temp, let them sit for a little bit and then seared (put a little crust on the outside) them in a screaming hot/smoking cast iron skillet (about 2 minutes or less a side).

i am not even going to try and copy and paste or give a readers digest version of how to reverse sear......i will give you an actual article that not only gives you the process for reverse sear, but also gives you the science behind it.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/how-grill-better-steakhouse-steaks-recipe

I have advocated a couple of BBQ/SMOKE forums on here for folks to go and check out on their own...(we all learn at our own pace and have our own way of learning as well)...and one of those sites is the one listed above.  www.amazingribs.com  the gentleman that started/owns (i think) the site/forum is named craig meathead Goldwyn.  he published a book (in an alton brown method) called "the science of great barbecue and grilling" and in that book, he gives you the myth and them he tell you what the real story/science is behind it. 

he has sections on beef, pork, chicken, fish, vegetables, rubs, sauces, brines, hardware, software, different types of grills, smoke, etc, etc, etc

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&ei=1d6QXK6UC-LqjwTZuY5w&q=meathead+book&oq=meathead+book&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i22i30l5.7684.8209..8500...0.0..0.242.1022.0j2j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131.vvBUI5RoBvs

I own this book and have actually read it a couple of times and still reference it at times.  one of the other places that I get a lot of knowledge, technique, science as well as recipes from is Cooks Country (they have been in business and a test kitchen for over 25 years).

this is a quarterly magazine (yes, an actual paper magazine/booklet) that has a huge amount of information in it and not just recipes alone.  it gives you information on tricks and techniques, alternative ways of doing the same process and why certain ways are better than others, the stories/science behind some classic and very popular recipes (like the carne adovada recipe that i posted), it also gives side by side comparison tests of different culinary pieces of equipment, comparisons of different brands of the same product.

not only do they offer a quarterly publication, they also offer a printed hard backed annual as well (of the 25 years worth of annuals, we actually have over half of them).

and if you truly prefer a digital format over hard copy, they offer that as well.

TRN obviously knew why you had temp probes! Thanks for the smidge of info, I’ve never reverse seared anything, probably should give it a whirl, sure sounds tasty.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »

Well you learn something new from Nate everyday.. :)

Maillard reaction..... :likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »
Wisconsin style lasagna just went in the oven.  Some of you may be asking what Wisconsin lasagna is.  Pretty simple really.  It's like normal lasagna, but you go to heavy on the mozerella cheese so you need to finish the top layer of with a different variety, in this case extra sharp.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 19, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Lol....thats awesome

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »
Wisconsin style lasagna just went in the oven.  Some of you may be asking what Wisconsin lasagna is.  Pretty simple really.  It's like normal lasagna, but you go to heavy on the mozerella cheese so you need to finish the top layer of with a different variety, in this case extra sharp.
I beg the differ. That’s American lasagna.  No such thing as to much cheese!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 25, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
Some homemade pulled pork ramen.... :beercheers:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 26, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
atta kid! :wink:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »
Sophisticated college student

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 28, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »
I made some shrimp alfredo for dinner. 

The shrimp was cooked with the bacon bits.

And this is the only picture that ill post.....just cause its bacon  :beercheers:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:31:55 PM by Nate »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 31, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
Got some wings in the smoker.

Some sort of rub I found on the interwebz.
Just an el cheapo masterbuilt that I learned today goes to at least 275 which is handy to caramelize and render the fats out.

More to follow in a couple hours.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 31, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
Well they’re done!
Don’t have a clue what rub I used. Wasn’t for wings originally according to its flavour but it’s delicious.

Hints of cayenne, garlic, paprika, and some undetermined others. Added hickory smoke and it’s pretty dang tasty. Will get some hot sauce later on.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 14, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »
Took me a brisket from the store today, dry rubbed it with TRN special YouTube guess game.   
Going to let it sit on the seasoning for a week and smoke it Saturday

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 14, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Wait, wait, wait......did i understand you correctly?

You said you are/were going to take it out of the cryo bag and let it sit in the fridge for a week rubbed with seasoning?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
I re wrapped it

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 15, 2019, 06:55:09 AM »
Dave, rub does not penetrate mean.  Salt does.

If you want to try something to get it to penetrate, makes simple brine and brine it for about 12 hours (more would make it a bit salty perhaps).  Then slap your rub on and go once you get it out and rinse it.

You can also make a simple mop sauce with beer, oil, some spices and paprika.  Mop it every hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 15, 2019, 07:57:51 AM »
I would like to argue that point, but past has told me to not bother.  What I have done in the past let it sit, than I add another layer of rub just before the smoker.

The last brisket I did with just salt and course pepper wasn’t my favorite flavor and I generally try to not flavor my meet with it, hell anyone can put salt on a plate and dip meat into it as they eat it. 

Y’all just watch n see.   Maybe I’ll build a box to put it in lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/turkey-brining-secrets-61007

Salt absorption is science

You one of them climate deniers also???

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 15, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
Not denoting salt.  I don’t like the taste

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »
 :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal