Hello Guest

Author Topic: 68-76 Cadillac 500  (Read 2392 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
68-76 Cadillac 500
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:01:26 PM »
Well, since I today purchased and drug home two of these monsters I thought I would close that other classified ad and start a build thread here. Seeing how I don't actually have the truck one of these are going into quite yet this seemed like a logical place to discuss.

So I had posted a CL ad looking for a date (what isn't that what everyone does on there as no one on CL has any money? JK) so I posted an ad wanting to buy a free spinning 500. After several days a guy named Glenn called me and said he thought he had 6 of them but non were confirmed. He has collected all of these and not sure exactly why even today. After chasing my tail some and helping several other guys confirm they had 472's and not 500's the weather turned nice and I drove to Elizabeth CO today and made a deal for these two 500's. Glen had the pan off of both and I was able to inspect the cranks which is what he did prior to my arrival not wanting to waste my time. They both were free turning and fairly clean. Glenn was a bit odd, even now I cannot figure out his pricing. He wanted $800 for the rear one and $400 for the front one. We settled on $1100 for the pair. Parts alone that I can see are useable on these would go for more than that if I wanted to part them out. Check ebay sometime and you will see what I mean. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:12:45 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 68-76 Cadillac 500
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Nice find, fair price. Who drug em home?  :popcorn:

It wasn’t a Jeep.....

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:12:54 PM by stlaser »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
Oooh. Rochester quadrajet!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
I work with and have dealt with very strange people most of my life but looking at the pictures I might be able to shed lite on his pricing.

The rear engine has the brackets for what Im assuming is the  Alt or AC so it would appear to be more "complete" its little things like that, people sometimes think if there more on it then its worth more.  Did you ask why the price difference or just offer and load?

Looks like they were kept indoors so nice score and hopefully there is no hidden damage.

Some day I will have to share the story about the first Harley I ever bought! 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
I did ask about price difference and he said something about the rear one being more hp because it was older.....

However, when you look at components they have the same block casting number. So guessing many of parts are the same other than valvetrain maybe. To me it didn’t make any sense as they both need rebuilt and you adjust those parts as necessary for the build anyhow. So I just figured $550 each....

Charles, yes he wanted those and I didn’t care.

The rear one was from a front drive car so it has a rear sump pan. The front one has what they call a mid sump, hoping I can use that one as it’s in better shape but we’ll see.

I did try to mount the rear engine on on my 1/2 ton hf stand, after looking at it for 10 seconds I lifted motor back up with hoist. Pretty sure the half ton hf stand would have sheared off at some point. I’ll find a better stand on cL & bring it home.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
Nevertheless, I think these were a good buy at $1100.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:15 PM »
I built my own engine stand years ago. Used 3 in square and just welded a tube on the top. About to mode that using a wheel hub. That should hold anything and spin easy. Just have to figure a crank system to turn it.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
I built my own engine stand years ago. Used 3 in square and just welded a tube on the top. About to mode that using a wheel hub. That should hold anything and spin easy. Just have to figure a crank system to turn it.

Yeah, I had a nice home brew one too at one time. Even had an oil catch pan below, the engine turn over part fit a 1/2” breaker bar and had tool rest pan hanging off the back. It was sold in my auction b4 moving.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
Nevertheless, I think these were a good buy at $1100.

I think it was a fair price, once I get them tore down will know for sure.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:32:46 PM »
Is there a way to decipher a 500 from the top? What model of cars did they come in?

There’s an old fleet wood with a complete engine at the junkyard here.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »
Technically if you knew the cars history (meaning a few of the old guys here might as some of these are 50 year old cars) then it’s possible to decide it by model and year. However, since all of these were made before I was born for me that’s not really an option. At best it’s a gamble assuming a 43-51 year old vehicle has original motor.

This link below explains it all.

http://www.cad500parts.com/catalog/page2.htm

You can supposedly (if you’re good) pull one of the angled plugs out and use a coat hanger to measure the stroke. Problem is it is not a straight shot and I think the difference in stroke from 472 to the 500 is around a 1/4”
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:48:32 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
One is currently sitting on an engine stand and other is still on the engine hoist hanging. With trip back for mom and just being in general busy I have not had time to fiddle with them. Baylee is coming over tomorrow during her school off block to help me pull more wire, 3 strands 6 gauge, 3 strands 10 gauge and 3 of 12 guage. Oh what fun!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 11:54:58 PM »
Is there a way to decipher a 500 from the top? What model of cars did they come in?

Is the build sheet there? Maybe in the truck on the seat back?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »

Is the build sheet there? Maybe in the truck on the seat back?

I could not find a build sheet. I looked for anything with identifying marks.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
Block ID #

Back of motor between block and trans, right next to oil pressure sending unit. Really the last 4 digits are all you need if it is a 1968-76 motor

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
Block ID #

Back of motor between block and trans, right next to oil pressure sending unit. Really the last 4 digits are all you need if it is a 1968-76 motor
I recalled the location, but it wasn’t really accessible in its current state. I’ll look at some of the other things that website you posted talked about, the next time I’m down that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal