Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cat 305cr Excavator  (Read 7483 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cat 305cr Excavator
« on: March 02, 2022, 10:59:34 PM »
Well, I did it again and got another excavator. This time a Cat 305cr, 11k machine, 48hp with a full cab (well the main shell is there) Besides being a heavier machine (4k), it is 1.5' wider and tracts go all the way past the swing, way more stable for my use. Tracks seem in great shape.

Do not want another full project (fluid change) but a few things need to be done. Mitsubishi engine looks to has a new hydraulic pump, 7200 hours, 24in bucket (seen better days) plumed for a thumb and has the ram.  No blowby seen but a tad rough and a wet fuel pump (like the bobcat), hopefully just fittings.

Cab door and front window are missing. Rear left engine/cooling cover gone, crack in ram mount for boom (discovered after I bought it) Stick boom drips (guess its time to learn how to rebuild em) Boom swing sticks, cab rotates fine. Both heater and AC are gone, but setup for both. Heater should be pretty easy, look at the A/C for sure. Has speakers but no radio?

Right now I am looking for a door, front window and may have already found another 24" bucket with kubota quick coupler and adapter. Also a thumb is a must. I figured this into the price, got it down a little and will pickup on Sunday. I can just carry it on my trailer fudging a touch. Don't plane on hauling it around. Just here for a cleanup, then up to the Ridge for good. Yes, it will get paint.

I figure I can sell the bobcat well over what I paid in this market, making this a $$$ wash. Few days will tell, have already been asked about selling it several times.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:01:04 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cat 305cr Excavator
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 08:52:34 PM »
Few more pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:00:13 PM »
Not the best pic but here is where the weld is cracked on the ram mount.

Hardly any seperation, really only saw it from the rust line.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 09:55:01 PM »
That sprocket has like zero wear!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 10:14:03 PM »
I think it was replaced with the track, looks great.

Looking for manuals, some are $6-700!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
Heading out in the morning to pickup. About 30 away in Grass Valley I found an almost new 24in bucket Kubota quick attach coupler combo. Hopefully is it close, I can make spacers if needed. The ears for this coupler are well under $100 and weld flat onto about anything. Not an auto/hydro coupler, but I just want to change buckets if needed fairly easy. Needs right now are a 24, 12 and 36/48 dirt bucket. Pretty easy to find out there.

Really had issues with states "biggest" credit union I didn't give them enough notice to get 17k in cash and check clearing issues too!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 08:21:27 PM »
I hear you about getting money from your own bank. Our bank has closed down so many places. We only have bank machines both down here and up in shelton WA. Bank machines are a far cry from being able to serve the people.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 10:00:29 PM »
Yep and ATMs only give you $500 at a pop. FIne if you plan but thats just a tank of gas now!

I hate banks, only use credit unions. Last one was getting flaky, changed names too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 10:36:21 PM »
Heading out in the morning to pickup. About 30 away in Grass Valley I found an almost new 24in bucket Kubota quick attach coupler combo. Hopefully is it close, I can make spacers if needed. The ears for this coupler are well under $100 and weld flat onto about anything. Not an auto/hydro coupler, but I just want to change buckets if needed fairly easy. Needs right now are a 24, 12 and 36/48 dirt bucket. Pretty easy to find out there.

Really had issues with states "biggest" credit union I didn't give them enough notice to get 17k in cash and check clearing issues too!

Grass Valley that is where the wife's aunt lived before she couldn't stay by herself any longer. Pretty country

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 06:26:51 PM »
Picked up the Cat today after a little trouble with its starter. Much of this has been jerry rigged, but it works.

This was the stop to get the kubota bucket and coupler, $1200. About a 3rd of new and it pretty much is.

Loaded I think I am about 1500 lbs over, so I took it easy. Tires never got more than normal warm. It feels heavy though!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 06:03:45 AM »
Looks good.  Congrats. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »
Looks like a good size hoe for ya,   How did the truck handle the stopping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 12:42:07 PM »
It towed great. No bouncing or pushing at all, think I got the "sweet" spot on the balance. Tires never got passed warm, so my trip up with it should be uneventful.

Went by the local welding shop I use this morning. Going to have them weld the boom. They are better welders and can gouge the broken weld out right. 2-3 hours, $120 hour is more than fair.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »
Did another quick go over today. Hydro oil everywhere but it all seems to come from the top ram.

Not much luck finding a side or front door. Figure I will replace the front window with poly of some type making a top and bottom. Make the top removable or fold down until I figure out the AC/heater that should work fine. Vinyl door cover will work OK.

May have to have the kubota coupler machined a tad to fit. Looks like it about .125 to wide to fit the boom right now. Kubota bucket is basically new, included bucket is crap, pins are sloppy as heck and beat on.

Found a new Gentec thumb for it on FB yesterday, picking up tonight.  https://gentecequipment.com/excavator-thumbs/21-hydraulic-excavator-thumb-10x35-ht1035.html

Seems all these exc have the blade abused, few plates added to this one as well.

Needs an right side grab handle in the cab. 2 handles outside are fine, but you need to pull yourself in from there (well I do anyway  :rolleyes:)

Wiring seems hacked a little more than needed, but it runs OK. Key works, gauges work but you kill it with a button on the side of the counsel? Dribble for the injections lines like the Bobcat had.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
dunno, JR...Paint is scratched! sure it will still run with damage that bad???

;-)

Nice buy!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 04:58:05 PM »
Yep, its beat on a little, like me. Perfect.

Another fluid change,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 12:35:10 PM »
Pics of the crack, not that bad at all really. Just want a pro to do this one.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 02:08:15 PM »
Jr where are we lookin for the crack?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »

The rust line just above the weld for the ram mount. Local shop has a gouger that will open it up clean, then do the overhead weld on it.

If it was torn down, I would not hesitate to do it and grind it out by hand. But if you have ever seen someone use a arc gouger, that is the way to go. (see ICWELD on YT)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 03:39:50 PM »

The rust line just above the weld for the ram mount. Local shop has a gouger that will open it up clean, then do the overhead weld on it.

If it was torn down, I would not hesitate to do it and grind it out by hand. But if you have ever seen someone use a arc gouger, that is the way to go. (see ICWELD on YT)
We had a guy come gouge out two pins on our 350 a few weeks ago and that’s bad A for sure.   

I see it now in the photo.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 04:01:11 PM »

Was how Dan fixed my excavator. Gouged out everything bad, then pass after pass fixed it back like new

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 04:19:14 PM »
Just dropping off at local weld shop. I get all my metal from them and have been happy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 11:18:00 PM »
You talking about this seam?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 11:41:20 PM »
Yes, same on both sides, but not the inside. One side is open just a hair, like .0020, other side is just the rust line.

Has construction decals all over so I figure between tamping and lifting the frame this is the result. Rest looks solid and I just saw this after I looked it over what I thought was pretty good.

Finding there are not a lot of used parts out there for this model, plenty for sale, for some hefty prices. Nice for what I have was $40k

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 07:45:17 PM »
Shop opened the crack up and welded in under 2 hours. Even covered everything so it didn't burn up the trailer wood and primed it.

I think the welds would have been better, just not as smooth as I would have liked.

Pics later as I just parked it back at storage and picked up the kids.

Looking for a 12in bucket to match the 24in I have with the Kubota coupler. This coupler is huge, haven't found weld on ears yet but a 12in buckets runs $1200 shipped (new)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 10:21:01 PM »
I was just pricing a hydraulic quick coupler today for that Sany 80. How much do you think they cost?

Try a list around $6,500!!!!!!!!!!

I have been haggling and working the price of this new excavator. He finally agreed to sell the coupler, installed and another 18" Digging bucket for $4500 for everything.

This stuff is so darned expensive!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 11:44:28 PM »
I have to have about 1/8 machined off the kubota coupler to fit. Not an auto but quick attach then pin in place.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2022, 12:09:22 AM »
There isn’t anything cheap about excavation equipment

Looking forward to your welded up photos jr

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2022, 12:31:36 AM »
Dropped off the coupler today at a local "little" machine shop. Double checked my measurements and need .125 taken off the inside for a 6 inch opening. Then I get to match pins size/length which are coming in at 44mm so far (standard it seems). Kubota pins are $180 each, I'm finding for generic for 40-50.

I was drooling the whole time at the rollers, shears, 7 lathes, 4 mills, welders and all as I tripped over stuff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
Well, here is the ram mount repair. Cleaned out good, seen better welds but it is done. Doubt I'll ever have an issue unless I abuse it  :wink:

All the little dots are bugs on the boom stuck in the hydraulic oil. With the size of the ram up there I think I will run it home and use the bobcat to remove it. Just got my JIC plug kit.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2022, 11:17:33 PM »
I went passed the Ricthie Bros auction site and finally got around to finishing my registration. The Sac location is in Dunnagan, about 40 min north of me.

Not that I am looking for anything in particular right now, so I checked prices as the auction was today.

Based on what I saw I paid about 10k under what they are going for. Makes me feel a little better for the 20k I am out right now with the thumb, 2 buckets (was picking up a 12in in Lake county). Need to weld ears on it but for $400 that is no big deal, ears are around 100 if I can find em! Seems I have an odd size again!! :rolleyes:

I need to start checking them out, well as soon as the next one come up. For some reason a tracked dump caught my eye.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »
Found a rear engine cover finally in Mexico for $150, seems fair. But they want $450 to ship it DHL? Maybe I can have it carries by an illegal and save big bucks!

Still waiting for a few more replies from other salvage co. 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 01:08:08 AM »
After finally getting the coupler back, it was reinstalled. Needed a tad of hammer persuasion, but on it went.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2022, 01:13:13 AM »
Have to grind a another few thou off the rear pin, still tight.

Have 2 new front pins, but need to make spacers for the coupler as it use a little bigger pin compared to the 305. No biggy and they don't pivot.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2022, 01:16:02 AM »
Also fixed the handle issue on the cab. Simple as heat and bend. Now in/out is way easier!

Next come a full service, some wiring with lights and the stick ram leaks like a pig.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2022, 01:31:52 AM »
Can't believe I have had this since march!!

Today I got it opened up for a good cleaning and looked at the boom cylinders a little better.

Upper piston may need to be replaced. It is the leaky one and has hash marks and some chrome is missing. I was thinking of filling the mark with JBWeld and see, but still looking into it. Housing and lines look fine (mostly)

Main lift cylinder looks fine, but the cap is loose for the rod? Seems to tighten easily tapping with a hammer.

Have a couple hard lines to straighten out. Not kinked so hopefully a good AC line bending tool will do the trick.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2022, 01:41:53 AM »
On another note, I finally tracked down a company that sells the weld on ears for the 305 with the 7915 coupler I moded for it. Pocono Metal Craft got back to me and verified the coupler is off a U55/K191 Kubota Esc and I have 2 sets on order now.

Also did some measuring and found I have a long stick Exc so get an extra ft or so of reach.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2022, 08:17:34 AM »
Another thick plate to weld!!! Yes !

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
Bent hard lines: Who cares!

Messed up rod on the cylinder: Big concern

I'd be looking for a good used one or see if the local big hydraulics shop might have a good used one from a bent cyl.

They're valuable so it would make sense to have spares on hand.

(sad eyes...I miss my Kobelco...)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 07:44:41 PM »
Called a hydraulic rebuild shop. They can do the cyl in about 2 weeks, maybe tig the rod and polish out. About $400. I have the seal kit ($40) and may try the JB while I look for a new/used cylinder. New are around $1500, used around 1/2 that.

The bent lines pull on the soft lines is all I really care about.

Pulled the inspection plates off and soaked it good with the purple stuff. Only about an ich of crud, but just getting started.

All the hyd lines are under the cab floor, not on the side like the Bobcat or newer models. I want to move the high/low peddle out of the middle of the floor and the thumb is down there too. Have spots on the joysticks for switches, would like the thumb up there at least.

Thought the AC pump was gone, but it is down below! Lines up top are sealed so maybe just a condenser is all I need?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:46:56 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2022, 10:58:20 PM »
Got one line straightened up pretty well, other needs a little more. Just used cresents on first.

Another issue spotted though by my neighbor. Block has been welded just above the injection pump. Showed up after the cleaning began, hoping no more than a water jacket, number 1 cylinder. Looks like an OK job, but something to watch for sure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2022, 12:07:34 AM »
Inside cleaned up pretty well for just an 1800psi Ryobi unit. I used the rotating head on this little unit (why I got it)

All the HVAC stuff looks good, all the fuses are fine but remember this is wired funny. Next test will be the AC pump when I can get down there out of the muck.

Got that god awful grate off the front too.

Of course the rats next had to cleaned up first.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2022, 12:45:28 AM »
Got the lines cleaned up pretty well. One side just needed the 2 wrench treatment. Will still tweek the long lines a little.

Used the bender and it paid for itself in 5 minutes. Handled the steel lines easy, but I did return the 1st kit as it had plastic dies.

Before I straighned the ends, both lines caused the AN lines to catch on the end of the boom, now they hang clear.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2022, 11:48:42 PM »
New ears showed up today, fit great. Now I need a bigger torch to cut the old ones off. Perfect timing with 20%off at Harbor Freight showed up today so I can a Victor based unit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:17:22 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2022, 11:37:49 PM »
Got the injection pump all sealed up. Ending up being a big banjo fitting with Oringed steel washers. Replaced both with copper washers. Cleaned all the lines but it still runs a little rough, might get the injectors cleaned. Got some cleaner in there so who knows.

Waiting on a hydraulic filter, oil looks great but sure it needs plenty with the leaking cylinder. Everything else changed already.

More good news is the AC pump seems to be a in good shape. Clutch is free, pump turns feeling like its working smoothly.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:51:39 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
Pulled everything to get access to the injectors and valve area. Access is pretty good. Now to get the injectors out. They have a small 10mm undercut and have probably been there for 20 years, about the size of your little finger.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 08:00:23 PM »
Back on tis thing, need to get it up there before the real weather hits (nothing like Sams)

I got a leak down here someplace, little cleaning first.

Decided the front window will be 1/4in Plexi, door will be 1/8-3/16 lexan as it bends easy.

Also won't use the factory lower window, its tempered not safety and just fits, no play and you know what happens with tempered. I can see a mess real quick there. Ordered plexi for that too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:56:28 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2023, 10:56:07 PM »
Didn't make it for the last couple weeks, looks like another before I go. Raining like you know what here, some real rain too. Neighbor called as his power was out and is using my 5500 generator now, says there over a foot of snow right now, about average really. My game cam went off just showing pure white, not mounted high enough.

Tomorrow I am heading down near Gilroy to get a 54" smooth bucket for the Exc. Have to weld my ears on it, but looks well made. Just $400 and has a frame for forklift use with a hyd ram.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2023, 08:50:56 PM »
Just got back from Salinas getting this 54in bucket. Fram on this thing is massive with hyd cylinder. Think I will make this a tilt bucket when I do the mount. Plates are a good 1/2 thick at least.

Got 22mpg during the trip, god I hate people who can't drive in the rain. Yes it rained, but not crazy like they say. These Ironman tires handled it great. Was one big puddle that worried me and it ran through fine, no planning at all.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2023, 10:03:15 PM »
What the heck is that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal