Hello Guest

Author Topic: New to me 5hp Ariens snow blower  (Read 843 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
New to me 5hp Ariens snow blower
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
If this needs put in a different place by all means just move it I won't be offended.

Anyhow so after getting a very heavy 30" of snow last week the wife and I on Sat morning were strolling thru Lowes looking at $800 snow blowers. I told her maybe in a month or so I can find one at a Mom n Pop place that they don't want to sit on for an entire year for a discount. As fate would have it the older female realtor who lives across from me (who I had a discussion about her broken snow blower a week earlier) later this same Saturday hits me up and says she has a deal for me. Apparently she needed to get her convertible out of storage and needed to make room in her garage. She tells me that the primer is out of it and she doesn't know how to start it. Visibly it also had a flat tire. Tells me $50 and it's mine.......

Not the best picture but Score!

So I literally drag it home with one flat tire and never hearing it run. Looked like it was never used other than the extremely dirty oil. So my two youngest girls help me get it up on my steel (Yes Don no wood tables for me!) work bench and I tear it apart. I pull the primer out thinking it's probably bad. Nope it blew air when I pressed on it but it was not hooked up. I pull off the steel cover to the carb which was only attached with two of three screws. One was missing and one was a wood screw instead of a sheet metal screw and lock washer. So this I find this hanging from the carb........

So yeah now we know why the primer didn't work! So I pull both wheels off as I'm a big proponent of tubes in ultra small tires. Make a trip to the tractor supply to get new quart of oil, couple of tubes, spark plug, couple sheet metal screws and some fresh gas. Less than $30 and a little sweat and she starts and runs like a top! I think the machine is easily worth $200 has electric start even.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:01:22 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

Re: New to me 5hp Ariens snow blower
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
That looks like a nice score/investment ratio there. I also tube all small lawn care tires. They are so paper thin anymore they puncture with pine needles it seems. Hopefully it's done snowing here (doubt it) I took the plow off the truck LoL

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »
That is a nice score!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »
nice, ill bet youll be asked to clean her driveway for a while during the next snow season.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »
Yeah, she mentioned something about that I think. Wasn't paying attention couldn't get $50 out of my pocket fast enough. Lol

I did have two other neighbors ask about it & each wanted to give me $25 to go in halves. I quickly changed the subject.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal