Hello Guest

Author Topic: Quick handgun advice  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Quick handgun advice
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »
REAL MAN
RealManTruckWorksandSurvival.com

Subject: Some quick Gun advice:

Get a pistol with out a safety. When you get really scared, you probably won't remember where the safety is!

I have trained a number of people with the Beretta 92F, a replica of the US Military 9mm pistol. The weapon has a decocking lever located on the slide. When I observe someone getting confidient or even cocky with their shooting, I'll hand them the weapon with the decocking lever pointed down, which disables the gun. Person by person, time and time again, I observe the shooter pulling the trigger multiple times then saying, "The gun doesn't work." Conversly, when I trained people on the Glock 19, a shortened 9mm without such a safety device, the gun always goes bang...Nuff said on that, do the math for yourself!
I like the glock 19 in 9mm and the glock 30 in .45. The glock 19 will also accept a 32 round glock 18 magazine for hanging in there for extended shoots.

When learning to shoot don't use a paper bullseye. Use the picture of a human. Train yourself to see a person and respond to that. Shoot at 7-10 feet for a thousand or so rounds. Get a cydex or paddle holster for beltline wear and a uncle mikes drop leg for running with your weapon secured on your leg which is the best setup, however tends to freak out walmart people. mount a holster in your car. place the holster right under the steering wheel. If you ever get stopped or jacked by criminal elements it is natural for one to drop their hands off the steering wheel to surrender or get out. The difference, of course, is we are now armed.

Here's the strange part. you will need to go to a farm or forest and practice pulling the weapon and firing it from inside your car. bring hearing protection and do it slowly at first or you will likely perforate your door. Just don't let the first time a guatamalan gang member is jacking your truck be the first time you shoot your weapon.

On shooting, none of this stuff I discuss takes into any law what so ever. Let a jury of your peers if there is such a thing figure all the legal stuff out. When you draw you initiate a sequence. Be prepared to be shocked. What guns do to bodies is horrible, but try to just get past that. Following you shooting there will be a small amount of time where confusion sets in, mostly for your attackers while they wonder what just happened. Use that time to dity mau (leave, get out of dodge, make tracks, get gone) if there are attackers in the front of your vehicle, run over them. Those left standing will be less willing to persue you.

OK, that's enough for now, think about this stuff. Be good, do something good in Jesus's name for your neighbor or for some someone else and do it in secret!
Addios!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:26:57 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick handgun advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
Don, Good real life advice.  Allow me to offer some additional and alternate thoughts.

Safeties are not necessarily a bad thing.  It takes 3000-4000 repetitions of any motor skills to ingrain it into the gross motor skills that will come into play during "condition black", when your body freaks out and your heart rate goes 200+.  As long as you train with the same weapons system and carry/deploy the same system, you will be ready for whatever you face.  If you train with a Glock and carry a 1911 and fail to sweep the safety, then you will get killed when you fail to send rounds down range.

That being said, I subscribe to less is more and simple is idiot proof.  Buy a Glock, train with a Glock, carry a Glock.  No matter what variety (17/19/26/22/23/27/21/30/.....you get the point) they all work the same.

and, leave only one story to be told.  Be calm on the inside and when the law questions you be meek and timid and scared about what just happened.  The investigating officer is your best ticket to being no billed if they believe your story.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »
Your last point

Darned shame that it is even a consideration

What happens after the shooting is irrelevant if the attacker is now pointing your weapon at another innocent and your wife is dealing with what just happened to her.

You have a fundamental right to protect yourself. You can use any force you deem necessary in that little time before you deploy deadly force to stop an attack. And remember you are only interested in stopping an attack. However that turns out may not be in your hands.

Once during a time like that. I fired twice at my target some, maybe 10 feet away...and I MISSED with both shots. Adrenalin and fear WILL DO A NUMBER on you.

The advice on using a glock, and only a Glock is ROCK SOLID. Same system, and I don't believe when fear takes over and you are down to gross motor skills only, your hand won't know the size difference from a G21 to a G26. It will shoot just the same.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:09:45 AM »
Don't assume you are a crack shot. We all need to practice.

Practice on a silhouette, not a round target and always aim for center mass to stop the threat.

YOU NEVER FIRE ONE SHOT OR TRY TO "WOUND" YOUR TARGET.

Practice shooting as the gun is drawn (watch your hands), coming up and on target with sights. You may not get to "take aim".

I once got berated for firing 8 rounds at a guy with a shotgun during a simunitions class. I said the guy hadn't hit the ground yet so I kept shooting, they said OK,,,,,,,,,,,

Practice with your "off hand", you never know when you will need it.

Now, most of this is for a person who has never had formal training, not us DOTs.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline medic

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
I do own a gun without a safety but I personally believe there are better options on weapons than just having no safety. ( granted it will cost more for safety features) There are a number of handguns that have passive safety features that make it safer to use and reduce accidental discharge when not intending to fire a weapon. For example, my Springfield armory XDM has safety features in the grip to prevent firing if the gun is not gripped in position to fire and a safety trigger that must be squeezed and will not  fire from the tip of the trigger being snagged.  These safety features increase safety without requiring any added steps to have the weapon ready to fire. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »
I do own a gun without a safety but I personally believe there are better options on weapons than just having no safety. ( granted it will cost more for safety features) There are a number of handguns that have passive safety features that make it safer to use and reduce accidental discharge when not intending to fire a weapon. For example, my Springfield armory XDM has safety features in the grip to prevent firing if the gun is not gripped in position to fire and a safety trigger that must be squeezed and will not  fire from the tip of the trigger being snagged.  These safety features increase safety without requiring any added steps to have the weapon ready to fire. Just my 2 cents.
I believe he was referring to active safeties. We all agree safe actions are preferred! Welcome to RealMan!
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Both Glock and SA have the trigger safety and firing pin block safeties. SA has the backstrap safety also. Don't think anybody has any qualms with these. Some don't like the palm safety of the SA...

Just no manual lever style safeties, which many don't like.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
Welcome to the site!

Blaine is correct, I was refereeing to active safeties...something that you have to think about and do something to deactivate...those kinds of get you killed when you're scared safeties.

Offline medic

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »
I see and completely agree.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:32:48 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal