Hello Guest

Author Topic: Diesel Storage  (Read 924 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Diesel Storage
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
Im interested in long term diesel storage and am getting some conflicting data.  I have attached a document from BP, but I am unclear on the best additives to cut down on oxidation.

I'd like feedback on your knowledge, resources and experience in long term storage of diesel.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
Red Neck,

Diesel stays in tanks and the ground for a very long time and will be useable to most diesel engines. Caveat: Modern electronic injector diesel engines have greater expectations than the 2 cyl John Deere tractor which can run on chicken grease.
For your Duramax with a good filter system, I believe your major enemy is algae, not oxidation. There is a compound called prist, which you can find at airports sometimes that is added to diesel or kerosene to keep algae from growing in fuel takns. Military aircraft require it's use, hence my intimate knowledge of it.

Buy some GM 6.2 or Cummins 12 valve and forget about it, just pour and go

Not a technical explanation, but nearly correct me thinks

Now I have heard as well that homemade diesel fuel from vegetable oil is stable for ever! make up 60 gal a day with that plant from Northern tool which retails around $1450. Partner up with a few guys and drive on...literally!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal