FOOD CORNER > Farming, Gardening, and Raising Your Own Food

The buzz about Stewie the Apiarist - He's Gettin' Bees!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Wilbur:
I know there's guys around here that have someone else bring bees to their place and then the beekeeper manages the process. An apple orchard near us does that- they don't own the bees but a beekepeer brings the hives, gets the honey etc etc and the Orchard gets the improved pollination the bees provide. The beekeeper sells the honey he collects in their farm store. I don't know all the details but they have some tradeoff in place. The Orchard owner doesn't have to do anything.

Farmer Jon:
I seen an ad around here someplace that for $200 a guy will bring a hive to your place. If it survives you get half the honey. If it don't then it don't and you get nothing. That's what I was thinking about doing.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: stlaser on February 26, 2017, 12:23:31 PM ---Don, I think you need bees too! & we all need a video feed of the folly.....

--- End quote ---
You're a bad man!

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Wilbur on February 26, 2017, 12:50:32 PM ---I know there's guys around here that have someone else bring bees to their place and then the beekeeper manages the process. An apple orchard near us does that- they don't own the bees but a beekepeer brings the hives, gets the honey etc etc and the Orchard gets the improved pollination the bees provide. The beekeeper sells the honey he collects in their farm store. I don't know all the details but they have some tradeoff in place. The Orchard owner doesn't have to do anything.

--- End quote ---
I watched this program on such an operation. With hundreds of hives, this company makes a 9 or 10 month circuit of the nation, spreading his bees to the contracted farm. For some unknown reason, the bees are dying. He loses one third to one forth of his bees every year!

I hear that bees are nearly gone from China due to all the pollution and insecticide usage. There, workers actually pollinate the flowers of the fruit trees. I read that the process is incredibly inefficient and yields are way down from when the little critters actually did it naturally.

stewie:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on February 28, 2017, 09:05:37 AM --- For some unknown reason, the bees are dying. He loses one third to one forth of his bees every year!

--- End quote ---

same reason as china. insecticides, disease and mites that have become resistant to mans stupidity.

my biggest concern about having bees is all the crap the cotton and corn farmers dump and spray every year around the area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version