Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 94595 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"
« Reply #1150 on: August 27, 2021, 01:16:35 PM »
Its over the est. buy a couple K now,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 27, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »
I completely feel your pain on that. stupid beach house...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 28, 2021, 02:28:17 AM »
You would think 25miles from any real town or city it would not be a big deal, but they make it that way.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 28, 2021, 10:07:25 PM »
I completely feel your pain on that. stupid beach house...

You must have known going in there would be permits required at every turn. You probably didn't realize it would take so long or be so expensive to get. That beach house was however a nice place, and more than a few were wishing it was them and not you owning it. You have moved on now and the beach house is someone else's problem. Now you can spend your energy making your new place your home. Never look back , it was the right move.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 29, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
The more I read this, the more I appreciate the kin-tuc-kee
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 29, 2021, 08:39:15 PM »
Think it is more the permit process. From my understanding and contact with the field guys, they are pretty cool.

Oh, that house on the hill that was torched is up for sale, same for the plot right under mine. They want 500k for either one. My prop is bigger and I paid under 100k.

I am still bouncing back and forth on power vs solar. Both will run the about the same, 20k. Maybe a little less with solar as I have panels, but need a converter and storage. With grid power I need maybe 2 poles and my service pole, then 500'+ run up to the pad.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 30, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
Think it is more the permit process. From my understanding and contact with the field guys, they are pretty cool.

Oh, that house on the hill that was torched is up for sale, same for the plot right under mine. They want 500k for either one. My prop is bigger and I paid under 100k.

I am still bouncing back and forth on power vs solar. Both will run the about the same, 20k. Maybe a little less with solar as I have panels, but need a converter and storage. With grid power I need maybe 2 poles and my service pole, then 500'+ run up to the pad.
Both??
Maybe get the grid power in now, then build in the solar to be a just in case, take the tax deduction to soften the cost of the grid power, then in a few years have the freedom to switch off if needed
Just a thought

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 30, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »
Heck, I need to upgrade my house! Even with solar I am paying $200 a month now with the new rates. I loose solar about 5-6 but my whole west side is still in the sun for another 2 hours.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 30, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
Why put any more money into the current house if you’re building at the ridge? Jus’ sayin’…
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 30, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
I will be here more or less for another 5 years with the kids in school.

Plus I have what I need to do the upgrade, panels and controller, only need wire.

Still leaves me with enough for a good start at the ridge, will need an inverter up there anyway as mine are "grid tied", where I need a hybrid up there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
Well guys, another hurdle has been overcome, just got this;

APPROVED Electronic submittal for Permit #XXXXXXX

Now I am reading some "rules" and another issue is you need to be a resident to be an owner/builder?

Soon as ground is broken, a new thread will follow.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 05, 2021, 06:22:00 PM »
Got a little done this weekend. Mainly about 1/2 the remaining pile as I lay the fence out.

The more I have to do the more I need a small excavator. Going to look at a 2001 Bobcat 331 on tuesday. 40hp, open cab (for now) and 3700 hours, kubota motor and hyd thumb. With the trenches I need to dig, area to clear it just makes it so much easier. Think it is just a capable as the L45, but smaller footprint and easier to move around. Has a small hyd that seems to be a seal but does not affect its operation. Priced right as the company can't use it in Ca anymore.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 06, 2021, 10:32:51 AM »
why wont CA let them use it anymore?  some CARB crap?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 06, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
Yep, most commercial used vehicles are getting nailed on this. They don't care if its old, under a certain HP or not. You need to upgrade the engine or put a new exhaust on it.

Leak was discovered after going up for sale, told the hyp pump has a drip. Will look at it tomorrow. Told it still operates fine, found a vid showing how to repair the seal. Gives me a nice bargaining chip.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 06, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
Excavators trump backhoes, no doubt.
It's the ability to rotate 360. Allows you to stack grub piles anywhere.
You will like it!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 06, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
Even having never used one, I understand the diff. Plus having a hydraulic thumb will be nice.

Plus the footprint and places a tracted hoe will go really help. I need to dig a trench for may water and power. Kub can handle the power since flat ground but not the hill were the water tank is. Also need to clear brush and trim the slopes around the pad the kub can't get there!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 06, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »
I really understand the differences in the places they can go. My place slopes very hard to the bay and both sides have gullies along them. Most places the tractor can get to but with the hoe hanging on the back, not so much.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 06, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »
Now that I have essentially built a homestead, and am still building, I have learned a lot

I'd say hands down take a compact track loader or a wheel loader if you like those over a tractor when you are roughing in. They can move mountains.

Next is an excavator. Just indispensable when you get really going. Dig a road into a hill? Excavator. Dig a foundation or a footer: Excavator. Pull your truck out of the mud or the trailer: Excavator. Lift heavy things and place them precisely: Excavator. Oh and it can dig you a pond pdq as well. Did I mention knocking down a bunch of trees really quickly.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 07, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »
Well, I got the Bobcat Excavator. Leak is coming from inj pump, not a hyd issue. Looks like a gasket or fitting from my inspection.

Tracts are OK, so will need replacing, worked that into the price. I will look for windows and a door to, full can will be nice. Seat for sure but everything works and looks like the same Wainroy bucket setup as the Kub.

Got it for almost 3k under listing, right around what I was thinking. Listed well under what many are going for in this area. Dirty and a few dents is the worst.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 07, 2021, 04:01:34 PM »
So here are a couple pics. For sure it needs; Lights, seat, secure hydro house on boom and a good cleaning. Tracts may last a month, week or fall right off.

First stop is a power wash when I pick up on thursday. Its a 2001, 331 D with a kubota 2.2lt diesel, 3794hrs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: September 07, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »
A known place for abuse wear is the blade. Normally is cracked around the mounts or welded, this is clean.

Here is the loose hydro line if you didn't catch it in the other pic. Looks like the wrong hard line ran on the outside with a couple zip ties holding it.

No cover on the blade ram either.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 07, 2021, 06:12:34 PM »
Man that blade sticks out a ways.

WR bucket and the thumb looks similar to mine. Should work pretty good.

So, when you get all the WR attachments I know who I'm calling!

Edit: oh nevermind, not the same quick attach. Guess that ruins the joke
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:13:52 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 07, 2021, 08:14:47 PM »
All they do with this is push used rebar around. Bucket looks diff than my WR setup, 16 wide.

Starting to look for tracks, seeing about $1200 a pair.

Time for a "FLUID CHANGE",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:15:28 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 11, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
Spent several hours Thursday spraying the major crud off the ex, then about another hour at the car wash doing the rest after another $20 in degreaser.

Came out OK, but I see paint in the future.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 11, 2021, 08:33:15 PM »
As I started the fluid change,,,,,,,,,,I began to clean the tracts out some. Probably filled a 3lb coffee can up so far and that is just one side!

Found a little damage to the final drive cover, that will be dealt with!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 11, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »
Air Filters, oil change, fuel filter and hydros are next. Engine came out fairly clean and I like the oil drain tube but think it leaves a good pint in there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 11, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
With the cleaning I primed the fuel system and she purrs nicely.

The fuel leak showed up as coming from the injector fittings on the pump. Pumps look like it has been off before too. My understanding the the O-rings go bad (figure 20 years now). That will be first thing as it runs all the way to the fan area and blows all over.

Will also address the final drive oil. These tend to get neglected so now is a good time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 13, 2021, 03:05:15 AM »
So I pulled and cleaned the fittings and lines. Orings all broke right off but I have a case of them like most of us.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 13, 2021, 03:10:48 AM »
Not sure if these are poppets or just a 1 way valve.

Once back together it started after a few cranks after priming again. It does not leak around the lines like it was, but it has a "seep" around the pump top.

Doing research now on that, at least it is not a solid drip like before that was going all over the front of the engine.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:12:43 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 13, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
Man you just don't lay down!

Owned the thing a week, well, less, and you're already in the injection pump!

Go after it!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 13, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Actually just the basics and first service. Still have a seat, lights and the hydro filter.

Pump is easy to change really, literally an hours work, but $500 bones. I may just monitor the the seep right now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:57 AM »
Actually just the basics and first service. Still have a seat, lights and the hydro filter.

Pump is easy to change really, literally an hours work, but $500 bones. I may just monitor the the seep right now.
That hydro filter in my Kobelco was something else. Like two feet long and sits right in a 90 gallon tank of oil.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 14, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
Just got my other hydro filter, guess it has an in tank too but just changing the 2 spin-ons. Uses 10/30 oil for the hydro system or bobcat oil.

Need to find propylene based anti freeze. Little luck but RV anti freeze is based on it and cheap. Any feed back on this. I know is says don't use for engines but why?

Little more research and find the o-rings are just to keep the junk out of the fitting.

The real seal is a one time use copper gasket at the base of the fitting. Getting those ordered with factory o-rings to hopefully clear this up. It runs fine otherwise.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 15, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »
I'd use regular green antifreeze, or maybe HD diesel antifreeze. No biggie.

I think propylene is the hippie stuff.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 15, 2021, 03:25:11 AM »
I'd use regular green antifreeze, or maybe HD diesel antifreeze. No biggie.

I think propylene is the hippie stuff.

That way almost everything I have would be the same too, cept the Dmax. Easy to find and not crazy $$$.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 27, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
Haven't been up for a few weeks, going the next two I hope.

Permit is paid, almost 5k, but now am ready to roll full on!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 27, 2021, 09:36:41 PM »
Haven't been up for a few weeks, going the next two I hope.

Permit is paid, almost 5k, but now am ready to roll full on!!
Are you running the show as the general contractor and hiring the subs?  If so I bet the thing goes up a lot faster than mine. Mine is sitting still again waiting on the trusses to be set up and roof sheeting put down. Hope the carpenter enjoyed his vacation because he will be wearing rain gear when he gets back to working on the garage.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 27, 2021, 11:44:52 PM »
Probably doing most of it myself, hopefully with a friend or 2 for the big stuff.

Biggest hurdle now is the slab. Way over engineered for a simple building.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 28, 2021, 06:26:22 AM »
Friend just had a 40x60 metal building put up on his property. First plans he got from the company called for an 8” thick slab. Building inspector told him it was way over spec for what he needed. He went back to the company and they admitted they just grabbed some generic plans off the shelf and that yeah, for his purpose he only needed a four inch slab. He added a 12 inch thick channel 2 ft wide across the middle for a lift in the future. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 28, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »
I have 6 inch for the shop, 3 inch for living area with foam under it. 24" footing around with looks like 2x2' peirs for the uprights.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 30, 2021, 08:04:21 PM »
Heading up with a load of stuff. Bob should go up next week, still a handle of little things to do on it and a couple parts coming.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 01, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
Travel safe young man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 03, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »
Got a load of stuff up there and forgot 3 things! I got a cell extender so it will work in the container, 48w magnetic screen and a bug zapper. Sometimes they get pretty bad. I should just get the TH up there, but cleaning it just seems like a nightmare.

Really took it easy for the most part, was just good being there, you guys know the feeling.

Hitting the bobcat this week to hopefully get it there next weekend. I can see so much to do with it. Dragging the man lift up to. Just gives me room here and the neighbor just got dried in and I offered it to him since he has vaulted 3 story ceilings. It will stay dry that way too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 08, 2021, 05:36:16 PM »
Taking another small load of stuff up this weekend. Quick trip as youngest boys BD tomorrow (today really)

Got the items I didn't last time, lift for the neighbor to use and bring the 3 kubota buckets back. Sold all 3 for just a tad over what I paid.

Also downloaded all the plans finally. People who design these things should have their fingernails pulled out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 11, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
So when I delivered the man lift, the ram pulled off the trailer! It was in the dirt so got tied up for the trip home. Ends up the mount tore off on the welds. Was probably my fault using the rams to help me balance and load things.

Sold all 3 of the buckets for what I paid. Bobcat sure made it easy to load em.

Speaking of the bobcat, it stopped running and found I am not getting fuel from the tank. Running off a can of diesel now, need to pull the floor boards and check the pickup.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 12, 2021, 11:18:52 PM »
Finally got the trailer repaired today. About what I figured for work, hardest park was rolling around under it.

The mounts ram are not welded on the bottom. In fact the welds on the sides were sketchy at best and the pivot point is offset to the bottom.

Miller 211 was awesome, in fact first time I used the auto-set as I changed to .030 wire. Burned in nice and I added a bead to the bottom in line with the pivot.

Then I ran a good bead along the bottom edge. Also added about 6" to the safety stand as it barely held the bed off the frame.

Now its bobcat time again so I can it out of here and where its needed at the ridge.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 13, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »
You know the rules JR……
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 13, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
The one up there was it. Left it in the house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 14, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
Finally found a decent box for the trailer without paying through the nose.

Needs a key and mounts, both easy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 14, 2021, 11:54:32 PM »
So some more work on the bobcat. Changed the hydro filters. First had some water in it, second was just flat nasty. Not changing the hydro oil, yet. Drives work "OK" but not great, but that may have a little to do with the controls being loose. Bushings on the track motor controls are shot. So much slop nothing happens for 2-3 inches.

Speaking of the controls, took the floor plates off for painting. Had them off before and there was about 4-6in of dirt and rocks in there. You can see the bottom now. Need to address some rusty fittings and swing motor. Not an issue now but good time to get to it.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal