Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3  (Read 130714 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2016, 10:56:30 PM »
Tex be like....
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide Site/Bug out Site construction thread, Part 3 (It's gettin' mo-betterer)
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2016, 11:20:54 PM »
How come we haven't seen these critters in any game cameras on the property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
Tex be like....

Qualifies as concealed carry in Texas....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Old guy.^^^..can't handle a 45!!??!! hehe

Ken, a glock will fire when you pull the trigger. We all realize there is a whole lotta nottin to handle when pulling trigger on a 1911...... :P

Whoa knuckhead, I was backing you, cutting on Charles!

Speaking of Tex, at least you got at least one good backup. Kinda like driving a beamer everyday, but having 2 Chebbies in the barn. :)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
Well, I'm thawing out by the computer after a good day working down under.

The mud season has set in. Even though I try to avoid it on my "two-track" road thing for now until probably late may, I'll be carrying off loads of mud every time I go there

The tires are working well. I am not spinning at all, although on a cross slope, the truck will slide sometimes
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
In keeping with trying to improve my condition and survivalability with each and every visit, I added a quality tire repair plug kit today

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
I also picked up an ask vacuum to clean out the stove. THis gem was on sale at Northern tools on Black Thursday, so I picked it up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
I like that it has a triple filter.

A woven cloth barrier, then the filter itself, which is surrounded by a steel screen

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 01, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
Northern also had these knee pads on sale, so I picked them up, as I already destroyed the cheapo HF units.

After using them all day, I will report them as marginally effective. The straps are too long and unless you are an elephant or Arnie Schwarzenegger they will be too long to really grab and keep the pads in position

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
The pics are not so good, but I am trying to show the vent cushions I picked up. You simply stuff them up into the vent recess and a major heat loss is plugged, just like magic!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »
The big news is that I got the electricity working to the camper. I guess I didn't get the hot lead jumper connected tightly enough and it pulled out of the socket when I reassembled the 30 amp box. A simple reinstall and tightening fixed all that and just like that the camper was electrified.

I fired up the big hot oil radiator heater in the morning, flipping the load to max. Within two hours the camper was toasty, and by nightfall with the temps in the upper 30's and a 20 mph wind that camper was so toasty warm, that I almost stayed the night!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
I did run into a problem, though. With the wind picking up, the stove is kicking all manner of smoke out everywhere. I picked up some stove pipe RTV to seal the joints, and I plan to install a flap valve in there to control the heat loss. That will be completed pretty quick due to the need for heat in the shop during the long cold workdays. But I will need to solve the kickback of smoke. It only does that when first starting, up until it gets to a good running temp, above 500F.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
And again in keeping with improving the living conditions, I installed this nifty tooth brush holder. I firmly believe when one does something to improve his condition, there is a resulting psychological boost

Who'd have thunk it...A tooth brush making one happy! Weird...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
I ordered four more stabilizer jacks for the camper. I wanted to buttress the long run of steel from the axle toward each end. I picked up four-5,000 lb jacks to do just that. After leveling the cribbing by walking it into the gravel some, the jacks were cranked up to contact + one turn.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »
Next, I went after the skirting again. It is a slow and methodical process involving a lot of measuring and cutting and fitting and recutting, then squaring and taping. But it is becoming a pretty strong and nearly airtight (wind) closure.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
Piece by piece it is going together.

Things like steps and braces and electrical wiring all require access and relief cuts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
Then around the kitchen slide out

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2016, 07:50:52 PM »
I am creating some semi-hidden spaces for addition of future mechanicals which will be somewhat weather resistant

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »
The bottom end is secured by 3" of gravel which is plenty strong. And this gravel is not going to move around, but rather pack in over time

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
In the same fashion as an "I" beam is strengthened by the end flanges, I did a little bit of that with the foam board as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
I like how this area finished out after raking in the gravel and back filling. It's a keeper!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
I like that TB holder.

What kinda finish you looking at. I mean the pink is OK, but,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2016, 12:41:56 AM »
Couple thoughts, use a shovel & bucket to clean out wood stove. If ash falls on floor or exterior crevices of stove then use that vacuum.

Knee pads, since you're fond of Duluth buy the pants with the double knee area that has an insert for their knee pads. No stupid straps to not function properly or make the back of your leg sweat and or rub raw.

Go buy the gasket seal for the door on the wood stove too & I always leave the door cracked open until you get the fire going good. Mo oxygen good for fire (caveman voice).

Edit: Other thought I just had, is that wood actually dry? Reason I ask is because once upon a time Ashley tried telling me they burn "green" wood in TX. Long story but he doesn't burn "green" wood any longer & has no issues because he has very dry wood and can tell the difference.

Fix that & carry on! ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:53:05 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2016, 12:49:12 AM »

Where is Nate at on this? I mean I had a couple dainty faded red straps on fuel tanks yesterday & you would have thought I pee'd in his cheerios. Meanwhile Don tries turning the hide site into a breast cancer awareness fundraiser & not a peep from the cheap seats?!?  ???

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
I like that TB holder.

I was reading about how a local church set builder, builds all sorts of things from this foam. He then turns it into stone, rocks, bricks, or concrete. He does a texturing then paint. He will paint with an exterior darker gray, then take a couple lighter shades of gray, cut that with water (a-lot) then spray the mixture onto the first layer. I tell you, the stuff looks like crete when he's done. So I was thinking of texturing it some with some sand or troweled on mortar, then give it the stone paint treatment.

That won't happen until June. The priority is to build in usable living space right now

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 02, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
Couple thoughts, use a shovel & bucket to clean out wood stove. If ash falls on floor or exterior crevices of stove then use that vacuum.

Knee pads, since you're fond of Duluth buy the pants with the double knee area that has an insert for their knee pads. No stupid straps to not function properly or make the back of your leg sweat and or rub raw.

Go buy the gasket seal for the door on the wood stove too & I always leave the door cracked open until you get the fire going good. Mo oxygen good for fire (caveman voice).

Edit: Other thought I just had, is that wood actually dry? Reason I ask is because once upon a time Ashley tried telling me they burn "green" wood in TX. Long story but he doesn't burn "green" wood any longer & has no issues because he has very dry wood and can tell the difference.

Fix that & carry on! ;D
Yea, good copy on all

Was going to pick up a new rope for the stove door today.

Have some dry logs and some drying logs, and loads of green stuff. I picked good stuff yestertag, but that darned wind was shoving air molecules down the stack. On that chimney, when I build the shed dormer, I'll shove that chimney up another section or two to clear the top by a few feet.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:56 AM »

Where is Nate at on this? I mean I had a couple dainty faded red straps on fuel tanks yesterday & you would have thought I pee'd in his cheerios. Meanwhile Don tries turning the hide site into a breast cancer awareness fundraiser & not a peep from the cheap seats?!?  ???
Yea, well I called Dow Corning and asked if they could make me a special run of camo foam board, but I guess they couldn't work me in, so I got stuck with the faded red stuff. Ya know it could have a gay pride rainbow pattern on it, just as long as it keeps me, the missesses, the pre-rangers, and ma doggies warm!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
I did run into a problem, though. With the wind picking up, the stove is kicking all manner of smoke out everywhere. I picked up some stove pipe RTV to seal the joints, and I plan to install a flap valve in there to control the heat loss. That will be completed pretty quick due to the need for heat in the shop during the long cold workdays. But I will need to solve the kickback of smoke. It only does that when first starting, up until it gets to a good running temp, above 500F.

Don, I ran into a similar problem with a wood stove when I lived in the Pac NW. I installed a WeatherVane type of chimney top and it worked really well. It basically spins around with the wind and creates low pressure side of the open vane. Something like this.

http://www.luxurymetals.com/wind_directional_caps.html

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »

Fix that & carry on! ;D

^^ I concur with the Duluth pants or bibs. I have a pair of firehose bibs that have the knee pad inserts and they work great. No adjusting or having to worry about the straps. The only thing I noticed was the fireshose cloth rubs your knees caps a little raw if you are up and down a lot. But that rarely happened to me.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »
On smokey stove- grandpa always used a small amount of diesel or kerosene tossed from a old jelly jar onto his dry stack of kindling in the stove- this flames quickly and hotter than without warming flue quickly for thermal draw.  Adding another section of pipe and vane topper and you'll be breathing easier and not looking like a a Cheech and Chong movie!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »

Don, I ran into a similar problem with a wood stove when I lived in the Pac NW. I installed a WeatherVane type of chimney top and it worked really well. It basically spins around with the wind and creates low pressure side of the open vane. Something like this.

http://www.luxurymetals.com/wind_directional_caps.html

I like that, believe it just might work!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 02, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
On smokey stove- grandpa always used a small amount of diesel or kerosene tossed from a old jelly jar onto his dry stack of kindling in the stove- this flames quickly and hotter than without warming flue quickly for thermal draw.  Adding another section of pipe and vane topper and you'll be breathing easier and not looking like a a Cheech and Chong movie!

I used to use some bar oil & the oxy / acetylene torch to start the stove in my first shop. Same idea & worked great.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 02, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
Little charcoal lighter is handy as well as a propane torch, both have many more uses around places like that!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 02, 2016, 08:55:09 PM »

he gets one more weekend, then again he might get 2 (because of the boot that he is still supposed to have on from said wheelie, but chooses to wear mandals with socks.) because I think the geritol dosage may have to get upped to assist with the bone (or is that bone head) repair.....;D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
ROFL, ok I guess we'll give him TOGP (the old guy pass) for the moment......

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 03, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"............bumper sticker my dad had on his race car when he was still track champion in his 60's.

It seems funnier now that I'm 53.......can't figure out how that is?  ???  ::)  ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 03, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »
Little charcoal lighter is handy as well as a propane torch, both have many more uses around places like that!
Did that today JR. I lite it and it hit 500 F in less than a minute

Solid technique, I'll be keeping that little trick!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 03, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
Don't need no stinkin pass!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 03, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
Back in the chock blocks at planet home. Last two days farm side fixin' stuff, and terrorizing the coyotes. We found two dens or homes or whatever those critters call home. One is that huge wood pile I pushed up with Sarge in the early summer. Strong urine scent and droppings around it, same-same with the barn. If it wasn't for the state burning down, I would have made a circle of kerosene and lit em' up. Then give them a 12 gage chaser as their flamin' butts cleared the wall of flames.

Anyway, I almost have the pink stuff done. Here is the rest of the North side:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 03, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
It went faster today because I had a little guy helping me on the "inside"

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 03, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »
Yep, he's wearing a Real-Man hoodie!

Then the east side was blocked off and secured with gravel inside and outside

Sled dog is ever vigiliant (or sleeping!)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:48:44 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 03, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »
The boys either worked on the camper project, or split wood, or took off, shotguns in hand after the coyotes.

That's good stuff for young men. They will always remember these days

Next, on the south side, there are two slides that are close together. I decided to make a singular box out of the two and wrap that on all sides except the south side which sees full days of sun

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 03, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
I need a new ladder!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
I added the R-7 1.5" thick foam board to the top side of the slides as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 03, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
I created a drip rail on each overhang to keep the driving rain away from the insides of the now insulated area

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 03, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
Going up the west side, which sees the majority of the wind, I cut in the foam board around the window

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 03, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »
Then the gap between the two slides...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 03, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »
I ran out of full panels at this point. I'll pick up maybe 3-4 more to finish the south side and wrap the north side "Kitchen" slide-out

Yes, its crooked...

Paint covers all...

So if you see the dark gray on the lower side of the  camper, I plan to use that color to paint the pink stuff that Shawn likes so much.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:01:05 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 03, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
The Chevy is really performing well. It had every opportunity to get stuck this (wet) weekend, but it didn't even spin a wheel. That Grizzly Locker that I got from Tate and Randy's ring and pinion is one outstanding piece of metal magic!

I managed 18.2 on the trip down and 19.2 on the trip back!!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 03, 2016, 08:05:17 PM »
Here are the four posts for the shooting bench for Henderson Range. I'll have the pre-rangers strip off the bark from those cedar posts, then I'll add a roof and a bench. I can see the boyz playing in there more than serious shooting, but what the heck, it's their place and time to explore and grow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal