FOOD CORNER > Cooking equipment

Meat Grinders?

(1/8) > >>

wyorunner:
The cheap meat grinder my old man gave me last time I was in WY hunting officially gave up the ghost. Now I'm in need of a new one. What's everybody using? Reasons you like it? What do you dislike? Attachments it can use such as mixer, or tomato puree maker, any you use? Seems there are numerous options out there. Anyone using a manual grinder hooked up to an electric motor via a V belt? Pics too if you've got em.

Wilbur:
When I was a kid my Mom had a hand crank one like this with different attachments for meat, grains, etc. :

This one is at Lehman's

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2-chop-rite-clamp-down-meat-grinders.aspx

I see the ones at Cabelas and the attachments for the Kitchen Aid mixers but they all seem to have about 50% good an 50% bad reviews so am not sure if those make sense. This isn't power so gives you a work out while you're working it! 

BobbyB:
I was looking at meat grinders and smokers at Cabela's this weekend. So I'm going to pay attention to this thread.

Sammconn:
I've cranked many hours on the manual ones.
I've also used cobbled together electrified manuals.

Many years ago 10-15, I bought the 1 hp cabelas unit.
Never looked back. It is an angry beast wanting to be fed.

I don't have any of the attachments for them, but the jerky slicer and tenderizer have been told to me to be "ok" by a buddy. I debated bigger when I purchased it and there is no need for the typical use of a 'normal' individual. Moose, beef, whatever, the big critters it is sufficient for.

The newer ones come with better stuffing bits than mine did, I also have a dedicated stuffer.

To cobble one together, usually entails about the same money investment, and a lot more space

Nate:
I like this thread already.......

couple of questions.......

1. how often is this grinder going to be used?

2. how much are you looking at grinding with this grinder at one time?

3. is this grinder going to be an outside unit or used inside?

4. are you wanting to have attachments to go with it or just straight meat grinding?

5. what kind of $$$ is your budget?

6. are you wanting a manual or an electric model?

as you answer, I will put another post together with options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version