VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Drones, Boats, Flying and Floating Things

New motor for the seahawk boat...

(1/6) > >>

EL TATE:
Not unlike my Seahawks, my 1st season of boating started off with a flair and flash, and ending in a sputtering disaster. Let me catch you up:
The flapper valve on the bilge failed, allowing water to siphon in through the bilge line. the bilge is not automatic and I thought running it all the time when it was dry would kill the motor. Simple math: I swamped the engine compartment, choked out the carb and had to be towed back. 1 week later the starter failed, and the dual battery selector switch corroded beyond cleaning. both have been replaced, carb tuned up etc. and we were seemingly back on track.

Fast forward to the end of the summer, the labor day weekend to be exact. 15kt headwinds and strong current at the Coupeville wharf, and I'm not at all worried; they have a really great dockhand there, Lawrence, and he can really thread the needle when bringing us in. About 15ft out, I'm having to give it a little throttle to compete with the wind and current, and it suddenly cuts out. Now I'm losing it because I'm heading straight towards a $5mil wooden sailing yacht. I throw it in neutral and give it a little throttle to get it started back up and it kicks into gear, launching me forward. I swing the wheel and kill the ignition, but it is too late. My bimini top catches the bow anchor chain, making a horrendous noise, trashing the top, but slowing us enough to gently tap the side of the yacht and alert around 50 people on the pier that there's an "amateur at the dock". After the humiliation subsides, I only have some cracked trim and the yacht a tiny scuff that wiped off with the crewman's sleeve. The motor on the other hand had more issues yet to show us.

The next weekend, the bilge flat quit and we swamped again, not nearly as bad though. I had a mechanic friend on board, we ethered and started right up, but suddenly much smoother, and with much less power, like we were towing. I had dropped a cylinder without knowing when it died during the sailboat event, and dropped another one at this point, balancing the motor back out. I pulled the boat out of the water and out of frustration let it sit for 3 weeks before digging into the problems.

Bad news... my steering cables have corroded and frozen up. (not terrible, about $100 used or I can take them apart and possibly clean them up). Bad news... my starter is seized up again. (not terrible, about $60 shipped from amazon). BAD BAD BAD news... one cylinder has ZERO compression, and the other has about 2 inches of water in it. manifolds are cracked, and camshaft lobes are starting to round off. My inexperience and eagerness to get a boat and on the water, led me to what I thought was a great deal. I guess sub 300 hrs and over 10 years old probably means no maintenance and a lot of sitting.

So.... anyone with a good running turnkey 4.3L Mercruiser for sale? My work buddy is going to let me use his shop to R&R this thing if I can find a motor for it. boat hull, floor, interior, outdrive are all in tip top shape.  I found one in Tipp City, OH if there is anyone nearby there that might be willing to make a little trip?

Bob Smith:
Maybe while waiting on an engine a different bilge pump system install is in order. Mount an auto pump system with manual and auto switch in the bottom of bilge and run the discharge hose to a through hull fitting set well above the waterline. Might check with the big marine place along the hwy near Everett they might be able to help with either a used replacement engine or do a rebuild for you. Boats are usually tossed away because of engine damage not drift or rock damage to the hull. The bad part is the engine and running gear are always more than the rest of the boat is worth.

EL TATE:
Auto bilge is already on standby with Performance Marine, (the place you're talking about). Guy I went to high school with there is their manager. if I can keep it under $3500 installed, I'm ok with keeping the boat because of the condition of the rest of it. otherwise I'm going to forget to lock the trailer hitch and park it in a bad neighborhood to give the kids something to do.

stlaser:
Bad neighborhood kids are into marine mechanics? Who knew? :shocked:

Bob Smith:
After thinking on this a bit, depending on what insurance you bought, you just might have a good claim, depending on how you describe how the damage happened. Check with the high school shop teacher, maybe they are looking for a class project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version