Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build part 6  (Read 29977 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
Those wires being "glued" together is troubling. The trans fluid melted them together, not normal. I wouldn't change the TCM until that's investigated farther. To do so would put the TCM at risk from a possible short in that bundle of gunk.

It is definitely possible that it has multiple issues, all started by the faulty harness you replaced .
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »
Those wires being "glued" together is troubling. The trans fluid melted them together, not normal. I wouldn't change the TCM until that's investigated farther. To do so would put the TCM at risk from a possible short in that bundle of gunk.

It is definitely possible that it has multiple issues, all started by the faulty harness you replaced .
OK, so the wires sticking together is not normal, hmmm

I don't know exactly how to look at that. An old adhesive, like the glue from the tape could and probably did migrate all over the place on that harness, but the individual wires insulation seems intact and in good shape.

So, thinking out loud here, I wonder what I could do to investigate further...

I guess I could cut away some of the tape wrap and see if the wires are easily separated. Don't know what else I could do...

Thinking about what happened yesterday when it was stuck in 1st gear. It didn't really throw any codes for that. And the bouncing speedometer, no codes were generated from that either. So is something wrong with the BIT function or the reporting of the faults...Like a defective TCM?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:31:09 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
OK, so I dug into the harness some, went back maybe 12 inches. The whole thing seems to be stuck together, although nearer to the plug and bottom the wires seem more compressed. When I started to pull tow wires lose from the bundle, they were sticking so well as to start to peel the insulation outer layer, so I stopped right there

I can't even imagine having to replace that harness, heck it goes all over the place!

Is there a repair "end" or connector sold that can be soldered into the existing harness?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
I would think some pin testing for continuity and or signal would be the next logical step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
Ken, I found these connector repair kits

Thing is, they say they fit 4l80E and allison 1000
One states it is for 93 and later 4l65E and Allison 1000 along with others

Question, is the trans connector some sort of standard thing between different families of transmissions in the GM line?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2019, 10:53:07 PM »
Did you ever get the burb back and is it fully operational yet?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
Part of me wants you to just replace the module since you already bought it...but...
I'm going off of the fact that you had a hundred codes after you replaced the internal harness, then you messed with the connection and ended up with the original code (708), so yeah, I would trim the tape back a couple inches and separate each wire just to eliminate that. Then follow the harness up to the other known areas of rubbing (a-arm, etc). If all good, replace TCM.

I've been bit a few times when replacing modules, even when they're the most likely culprit. If you're truck was in my shop I would have already ohmed all the trans wiring and checked for rubbing, especially on a modded truck, even after seeing how many shops replaced the TCM, in the info I posted earlier.... About 50 tcms to like 5 harness issues.
Call me gun shy.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »
Dang Tapatalk didn't show you're updated post.

I've never replaced an Ally connector Don... couldn't tell you if they interchange or not.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:59:03 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 20, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Dang Tapatalk didn't show you're updated post.

I've never replaced an Ally connector Don... couldn't tell you if they interchange or not.

Well, since you are unsure about those wires seemingly glued together, I am on the fence about the viability of the connector.

So, I was wondering if perhaps the factory did something like seal the wires together into a sort of cable based on what they learned with the 5-speed harness problems. Perhaps this is completely normal...??? Anyone else ever check the harness near the trans connector? Is it normal that the wires are stuck together, almost vulcanized into a solid mass...Normal or a failure?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
Did you ever get the burb back and is it fully operational yet?
I have had the burb back for nearly two weeks. I am waiting for the final tune to come in from BlackBear Performance. The fans do not turn on since that was never turned on in the first tune, so the thing overheats quickly if I drive it...

About ready to get a rental car!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
Thinking out loud here

I don't think the transmission fluid melted the wiring insulation. If that were the case then how do wires inside the trans oil pan keep from melting? Are they made from some different material?

Well, I just examined that internal harness when i installed it and it seems just like the wires you find all over the truck.

Another thought. Ken said he has never replaced one of these ally connectors, and Ken gets to see a good cross section of vehicles with problems. So if it were happening that these wires could somehow melt together, then wouldn't that problem have shown up somewhere along the line?

Looking at the harness, it actually looks to be in new like condition. It is not rubbing anywhere or chaffing or stretched or anything.

I think what I'll do is to pull the connector off again, clean the heck out of it, reinstall with some more dielectric grease and get the new TCM installed and flashed.

Unless someone can come up with something I may be overlooking before all that happens...

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
Muffler bearings, have you checked the Muffler bearings yet? 

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
I'm not unsure about the gooped up connector.... that's not normal. The internal wires have a different insulation, similar to plastic.

I was unsure whether the Ally connector was the same as the 4l80, or whatever one you mentioned.

This is mine:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
I'm not unsure about the gooped up connector.... that's not normal. The internal wires have a different insulation, similar to plastic.

I was unsure whether the Ally connector was the same as the 4l80, or whatever one you mentioned.

This is mine:
Thanks for posting the pic. BTW mine looks exactly the same, minus the dirt, and the place the bundle is stuck together is located about an inch or two back from the edge of the tape. On my bundle, the tape slid back because it was gooey revealing the connected wires.

From what I have found so far, the ally connector is the same one used on the 4l80/4l65 and others post 1993
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:34:21 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »
Time to get the pre rangers to help.  Disconnect both ends of the harness and run a continuity check with an VOM as a first pass. Make sure you aren’t getting cross over by checking continuity on the wire you are testing and all the others.  You should have 0 resistance on the wire you are testing and an open condition on all the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »
Don, what are you driving?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
Fitting!!!  :likebutton:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »
https://giphy.com/gifs/wheelchair-robotic-W0F5fhjd1fkLm

This?  :popcorn:

Wrong, that’s operational......

well so were the two wheeled units he got rid of quietly...….. maybe he traded?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2019, 01:35:22 PM »
Breaks what he owns, sells what run, builds seem to never quite get finished, plus he is awful quiet right now.

Course I have a couple unfinished too!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
So to keep from junking up the other thread, whats the latest on getting this completed?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
So to keep from junking up the other thread, whats the latest on getting this completed?
Yea, so yesterday I finally found what I think is a great little KY family owned shop to repair the truck

Up to this point I had spoken with a number of people who to summarize, either I did not trust or click with or just didn't deliver on their word. I decided it was better to not drive than to just throw money at the thing and have some goober screw it up even more. I have waited quite a long time, but I am patient, and the Lord has provided for all my transportation needs along the way.

This shop is now managed by the granddaughter of the man who opened it well over 40 years ago! I learned about them at church when the conversation came up, "So, Don, where's the big truck...haven't seen it." The Marine I was talking to had his transmission rebuilt by them and they had stood behind it fixing a subsequent issue as well for free.

I drove over and talked with them. They wanted to do a full diagnostic before even accepting the job (For no cost) and the "New guy" Jeremy who was their transmission builder later told me he had been working there for 20 years but a lot of the mechanics had been there even longer.

While we had the code reader hooked up, we watched codes populate, then disappear, then appear later on. Jeremy thought that was strange and had only seen that a time or two before, and it had been a TCM replacement that cured everything. So, it is queue there to get fixed, so I'll patiently await his findings.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
Breaks what he owns, sells what run, builds seem to never quite get finished, plus he is awful quiet right now.

Course I have a couple unfinished too!
I'm working on that JR

Hopefully closing the chapter on the Burb, and should have this repaired soon...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
Can't say I'm better sometimes, but had to jib you a little. I mean, its for the forum!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
Can't say I'm better sometimes, but had to jib you a little. I mean, its for the forum!
No foul, no harm

CM

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Update from the shop. They think it is a bad TCM. They are scheduling the flashing procedure for the new unit, so i should have it done PDQ!

Oh and on the wiring harness being "Stuck" together. Jeremy said that was due to the trans fluid seeping into the bundle and with heat and time, causing a softening of the outer layer of the vinyl sheathing. He said it isn't melted as much as just stuck together, and he thought it was fine.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
I don’t have an “I told you so” bone in my body....jus sayin.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
Update from the shop. They think it is a bad TCM. They are scheduling the flashing procedure for the new unit, so i should have it done PDQ!

Oh and on the wiring harness being "Stuck" together. Jeremy said that was due to the trans fluid seeping into the bundle and with heat and time, causing a softening of the outer layer of the vinyl sheathing. He said it isn't melted as much as just stuck together, and he thought it was fine.

kinda like Styrofoam and brake cleaner?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »

A wise man might hold that comment until after the repair.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

that needs a different 3 letter word instead of man......just saying!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »
Did I hear what I thought I heard? The boss claims all of the vehicles will be running on their own power and all the fluid changes will be complete? HH6 better hide that Jeep and quick....  :popcorn:

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »

Think I may have echoed that as well? LMLs are notorious for this.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »

Anyone can talk smack after the solution is confirmed. I like to fly without a net.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Did I hear what I thought I heard? The boss claims all of the vehicles will be running on their own power and all the fluid changes will be complete? HH6 better hide that Jeep and quick....  :popcorn:
So funny!

Was just on the phone with Duane...He was trying to talk me into buying the M.R.S a new conveyance and gettin' to modifyin' the heep!

(I just hope this wasn't a word of confirmation!!! :-()

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 12, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »

Think I may have echoed that as well? LMLs are notorious for this.

And meeee 2

Youall or yawal or however that is spealed... You folkses may recall I purchased a new TCM, then tried to get it installed, but the guy who flashes computers refused to flash mine for fear of damagin' other pieces/partses.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
Don't you have a tuned TCM anyway, or do you need a stock tune to start?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
Don't you have a tuned TCM anyway, or do you need a stock tune to start?
The way it works is to first replace the defective TCM with a new unit

Then flash that with the stock GM calibration

Finally reflash with the Motor-Ops enhanced programming to complete the repair.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
As I mentioned, I never went back to the tuned TCM once I replaced mine.  Maybe paranoia but at least install the stock tune and drive for a while and make sure its acting correctly before flashing again

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
As I mentioned, I never went back to the tuned TCM once I replaced mine.  Maybe paranoia but at least install the stock tune and drive for a while and make sure its acting correctly before flashing again
I could do that, heck I almost never use any pedal, just grand paw the thing around

I think I'll call Motor Ops to see if they have had any similar issues/complaints
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:57:11 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2019, 11:53:25 PM »
Its fixed!

It was the TCM

How about that!

Afterward they drove it 50 miles in different conditions and it did not act up at all

Now if I can just find a minute to go pick it up!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2019, 12:10:13 AM »
Sweet, out the kids truck and rentals!

Mine is tuned, does a little skip going 3-4 sometimes like the TC unlocks. Will get it adjusted when lift goes on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »
Yee haww! Finally some good news.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2019, 01:40:25 AM »
A project finished!

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
Glad to hear Don.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 14, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »
 :likebutton:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »
Something broke in the front end of my truck!!!!!!!!!

I was in a parking lot near the mall (No kidding). I cut the corner too hard and ran into a mulch bed, one with concrete curbing all around.

Yea, a mulch bed!!!

When I hit the curb, I heard a loud bang, then my right front tire started scrubbing the inner fender.

It has been raining and cold and I haven't pulled it in yet, but the right suspension is resting firmly on the rubber bump stops. Odd thing is, I can't see anything broken. Back in my tanker days, I have broken a torsion bar or three and they made that same loud bang when they let go. I half expect that is what I may find, but I just don't know yet. Get on it tomorrow...

I wonder if the T-bar could have rotated in its socket???
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:39:40 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
So you’re saying us DOT’s have been right all along about them mulch beds?  :facepalm:

Sorry, couldn’t resist myself. Hope it’s an easy fix.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
Ball joint

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2019, 09:59:04 PM »
Ball joint
I thought so, but it looks OK from just staring at it.

Tomorrow I'll get it up in the air and play around and figure it out

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal