VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Lost oil pressure for a few seconds on start-up

(1/6) > >>

cj7ox:
So, had an issue this morning (2006 Ram 3500 Cummins). Outside temp was 46*. Started up to come to work, and after a few seconds the check gauges light came on. Oil pressure gauge dropped to 0. I shut it off. Started it back up, paying attention to the gauge. Pressure came up, then slowly began to drop. I bumped the throttle, and it went back to normal. Engine sounded smooth, no unusual noises. I drove it in to work with no other issues, but continued to pay attention to it. Through my running to various appointments today, everything was normal. Anyone have any thoughts what this is?

wilsonphil:
I'm sure you did, but check oil, attach mechanical gauge, my guess you have a bad oil pressure unit.

I think the 06 are still on the left side of the engine, pretty easy to get too and change.

KensAuto:
Sounds like the pressure release stuck initially. Is it fresh oil?
I tend to see that on cars after a recent oil change.
Edit: that's if it's not the sending unit.

cj7ox:
Happened again this morning. I'm due for an oil change. Actually, about 700 miles overdue. What are the risks of continuing to drive this?

KensAuto:

--- Quote from: cj7ox on April 20, 2022, 10:12:59 AM ---Happened again this morning. I'm due for an oil change. Actually, about 700 miles overdue. What are the risks of continuing to drive this?

--- End quote ---
Oil pressure=blood pressure

You need to know if the gauge is accurate, like Phil basically said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version