Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1336263 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #11050 on: September 27, 2019, 07:22:45 AM »
Decided to take a couple days and pour a pad to put our truck scales on. They have only been laying around in the shop for 2 years now.
Pad is 20x14x12 inches thick. Rebar every 2 ft. The concrete will be 47B. Same as what they use on the highway. Should be pouring today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: September 27, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
Charles, I prefer mono solar panels and around 100 watts For a good deep cycle or two 20 watts seems low.

I also like digital controllers to see the power. LEDs are fine but dig cost the same.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: September 27, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
Just got home from Children's hospital again...Pre-Ranger #youngest is back in fighting another MRSA staff infection. Same elbow as earlier in Sep. Same staff that was in his leg last winter.

IV antibiotics has it slowed but not killing it yet. Wife is spending the night, I'll be back over in the morning. Hopefully bring the knucklehead home tomorrow. He is in good spirits

Today he was watching while I was surfing gun sites on my tablet, then he slammed the mattress and said, "DAD, I can take the money I have saved up for the motorcycle and buy a gun"

So, I'll start a thread over in guns sor ideas about which one to recommend.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #11053 on: September 27, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
Drove another 363 miles today. Been taking it easy these last few days. This is our last night out. Tomorrow will be a little longer but we’ll be back at the house by dinner.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:02:22 PM by wyorunner »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: September 27, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »

Friday night lights action tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11055 on: September 28, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
Finally got the Express 2500 running right. If you recall, it was giving thenP0496 and 0P0300 codes on my wife while she was in Alabama. She got the purge valve on the manifold swapped and it was still giving check engine light and running rough, but it was time to get home so she came home, made it no problem. Still had the P0496 and P0300, so I swapped the purge solenoid by the canister.  That cleared the P0496, but the P0300 was still there and running rough. This morning I pulled the passenger seat, and doghouse inside the van so I could get to the engine. got out the thermal camera and after starting it up cold, took pictures if the individual exhaust manifold ports for each cylinder, most were about 170, but one was low at about 100, so I assumed that would be the worst culprit for the misfires. Pulled then plug and it was majorly fouled, and of course the plug wire broke while I was pulling it. Decided to go ahead and pull the plugs and wires and change them all. That engine is tight for space in the van, but managed to get it down. Started it up and she purred. No codes. Got it all buttoned up and she’s a pleasure to drive again.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: September 28, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
Can’t argue with a plug that looks that bad,   Boy does spark plug change look nice when you can take the floor boards out. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: September 28, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
Vary good Dave  :likebutton: (eastern Dave not western Dave  :wink:)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: September 28, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
Not as easy as it looks Utah Dave. It sucks just trying to get the doghouse out.

Round #2 ...FJ saga continues.
... sanded most of the clear back off.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: September 28, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »
Not as easy as it looks Utah Dave. It sucks just trying to get the doghouse out.

With this being a project for the wife I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you put in a temp paint booth in the living room corner. They her we said it would be okay.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: September 28, 2019, 08:43:13 PM »
Just set up your paint booth in.Cheryl’s She Shed, like he said, it’s for her, use her space. :)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: September 28, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
 third times a charm Ken.

Well, you ever have a project that started small and turned big?  I bought two pallets of grass and way overestimated so I got the tiller out and tore up some sparse areas and spent 8 hours tilling raking and slinging sod and then replacing and adjusting sprinkler heads.  92 here today....fall my arse.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »

Spray it with raptor liner

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: September 28, 2019, 11:25:06 PM »
Just set up your paint booth in.Cheryl’s She Shed, like he said, it’s for her, use her space. :)

Just need it to cool down. Today wasn't bad until the wind started blowing 10mph,  right after setting everything up for paint. It's happening tomorrow, no matter the weather.

Charles, that's physical labor. Stop it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: September 29, 2019, 07:37:27 AM »
Thanks Ken, today is better.  I hope you get that thing painted.  Might have been cheaper to just find the local illegal immigrant body shop to do it for $100
Got to the hide last night and put on a pork butt and burned some pallets, inadvertently started a controlled burn....

Bought a bunch of totes and started organizing the reloading gear.  Processing brass this morning while I wait on the butt to be done.  Got family coming over for bible study so I have to drive back to the house at 8 which is the perfect time for the cook to rest.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:38:26 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: September 29, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
We buried grandma and grandpa this Saturday. They were cremated so we kind of took our time. Camped out at the river afterwards. Came home to 11 new chicks. SURPRISE! Stinker was hiding her eggs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: September 30, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Well I finally completed a project in my garage! Yay!

Based on JR's room addition and LED lighting he installed I purchased the same 10 lights back on December 21, 2018. Yesterday I finally have 9 of them installed.

I had a switched circuit for lighting and a box in the ceiling from before the finishing and insulation job. So I needed to tie into it.

I mounted the Terminal Blocks into the Leviton Enclosure, attached to the ceiling and wired it into the circuit. I should point out that I wanted everything surfaced mounted so I could remove and take with me if we sold the house and moved. Not a nice finished look like JR's nice install but close enough for government work in my garage.

After some trial and error I had some old wire management that had been sitting around work for 9 years that I re purposed for managing the wire.

I built 10 light enclosures out of 2"x2" and 1/4" ply. Using a compass and jigsaw to cut the 9" circles on the ply for the lights. Very easy setup.

Not the most efficient process but I would pull the wire through the box and wire management and then screw the light to the ceiling. I used my Stabila laser to line everything up and make sure it was square.

I also added three light under a cabinet/shelf I made. Two to light up the top of my tool boxes and one for my gun and ammo cases.

It took about 5 days total and about 100 trips up and down the ladder but I am happy to get this one out of my hair.

Now onto making cabinets/shelving out of the 7/8" Birch Bark plywood I bought a year ago also.

I move slow and steady..  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: September 30, 2019, 05:22:13 PM »
I like your setup better than mine. Mine has worked with no issues but all stuffed in a duplex box.

Funny, been looking at lasers, but green. Here is what I plan on getting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VJCKJ8/?coliid=I2W5R68WMHSFME&colid=1Z3GNP120A3PC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: September 30, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
Holly smokes that looks like a really expensive set up ?
What was total investment ? $120 a light?

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: September 30, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »
What are you my wife? it’s like her shoes. Spread over a year it’s only $20 a month.

Actually if you subtract the Laser level which I only paid $274 for it is a total of $256.31 total or $26.00 per light since I still have 30% of the wiring left.

I will use the laser on several different projects.

It is a really nice level. I bought an adapter and just put it on a cheap camera tripod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11070 on: September 30, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »
I like your setup better than mine. Mine has worked with no issues but all stuffed in a duplex box.

Funny, been looking at lasers, but green. Here is what I plan on getting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VJCKJ8/?coliid=I2W5R68WMHSFME&colid=1Z3GNP120A3PC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
That looks like a good deal JR. I haven’t heard of that brand but the self leveling is really nice.

Indoors I didn’t have any issues seeing the red line. Outdoors they say green is easier to see.

SOLD!

Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: September 30, 2019, 08:20:48 PM »
I have some old red levels that work fine indoors. Lines and "+".

This is for leveling pads, slabs and hopefully buildings to come. Good reviews and tripods are cheap.

That is cheap for lights and not running romex all over is a plus.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: September 30, 2019, 09:30:12 PM »
So do all the lights get fed from a single 12 v power source/transformer that feeds that junction box?

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #11073 on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
So do all the lights get fed from a single 12 v power source/transformer that feeds that junction box?

No. All of the lights feed off the single 110v switched block. The lights are two wire that go into a little box that must convert to 12v DC for the LED light. Very low amp draw for the amount of light.

When I wired the box I just grounded green to box and then wired red and black to corresponding block.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:54:12 PM by cruizng »
Mike

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: September 30, 2019, 10:57:38 PM »
What are you my wife? it’s like her shoes. Spread over a year it’s only $20 a month.

Actually if you subtract the Laser level which I only paid $274 for it is a total of $256.31 total or $26.00 per light since I still have 30% of the wiring left.

It is a really nice level. I bought an adapter and just put it on a cheap camera tripod.

Just looking at your shopping list and see the lights for $119 assumed that was each? Or miss reading something

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: September 30, 2019, 11:07:27 PM »
Getting ready to put some lights in my garage as well.
There's a place in Phoenix that sales Home Depot returns. He buys truckloads at auction. Most of the stuff is new, like discontinued items...by the pallet. My brother saved 20k+ on furnishings for his new casa. Ceiling fans, toilets, lighting... well you get the idea.
There was a pallet of troffer lights last time we went. I bought 2 boxes for $30 each, which is 4 lights total. Going to try and flush mount them.

Commercial Electric   5000 Lumen 2ft x 4ft White LED Multi-Volt Flat Panel Troffer (2-Pack)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5000-Lumen-2ft-x-4ft-White-LED-Multi-Volt-Flat-Panel-Troffer-2-Pack-PN324A50A1-40/305543510

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:08:19 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: September 30, 2019, 11:13:12 PM »
Bought a few deck screws also (@25% of sticker price)
Keeping the future cabin in mind. Lol

I gotta stay away from there. You wouldn't believe how much crap I buy each time.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: September 30, 2019, 11:14:19 PM »

Just looking at your shopping list and see the lights for $119 assumed that was each? Or miss reading something

My bad. They are a 5 pack for $120.00. I bought two 5 packs so I spent $240 for the 10 lights.

I thought they were a 10 pack when I bought them for $120.00.

With the adjusted amount it is about $40 per light if you don’t count the laser level.

Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: October 01, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
Been eyeing the new flat panel LED lights at Costco. Still a tad pricey at $50 but they are 2x4' and get 110 direct.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »
Eiko makes some awesome flat panel lights. But they aren’t cheap for a 2x2 $150 through our account

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: October 02, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
Finally finished the wife's FJ. Used some black plastic restore on flares. Replaced rear plastic bumper. Color sanded and buffed out the hood and wiper cowl pieces after repainting and clear coating again. Hood paint is probably close to 30 mils thick now... hope it doesn't shatter when closing it.
Was supposed to repaint the roof rack but hunting season is here so it has to wait.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: October 03, 2019, 12:21:34 AM »
Looks good from my house Ken

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: October 03, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
Looks great. Should have pushed the anti glare flat black look.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: October 03, 2019, 06:02:52 AM »
Glad you got it done. Looks good Ken

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: October 03, 2019, 08:59:29 AM »
It looks good ken.  Good luck out in the country side, hopefully you get one this year.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11085 on: October 03, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
That's good work Ken!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Thanks fellers!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: October 03, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
Hey Ken, how would you rate that FJ in terms of being a decent off roader?

What about the engine?? Any power?

Do they hold up?

Earlier Toyota truck frames rusted to nothing here in the midwest salt climatic zone, see anything out there

You like it? Or is it a girl's car?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: October 03, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »

Do they hold up?

Earlier Toyota truck frames rusted to nothing here in the midwest salt climatic zone, see anything out there

I’m not Ken, but I’ve seen them in places you should not take a girl that big. Of course they were locked at least in the rear. Mileage seemed to be no good from the bits of being around them. And when we looked at buying one we opted not because the back seat is basically useless.

What is you intended purpose? New toy?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: October 03, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »

Do they hold up?

I’m not Ken, but I’ve seen them in places you should not take a girl that big. Of course they were locked at least in the rear. Mileage seemed to be no good from the bits of being around them. And when we looked at buying one we opted not because the back seat is basically useless.

I'm not buying one, just wondering about it. THe modern FJ is a bit of a mystery to me

New truck for me??? Would probably have to be a ZR2 almost certainly. But I'm holding with my current two.

And if I did buy a newer truck in the next few years, I would certainly keep the truck and Burb, as both are excellent vehicles

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: October 03, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »

Do they hold up?

I'm not buying one, just wondering about it. THe modern FJ is a bit of a mystery to me

New truck for me??? Would probably have to be a ZR2 almost certainly. But I'm holding with my current two.

And if I did buy a newer truck in the next few years, I would certainly keep the truck and Burb, as both are excellent vehicles

Ahh yea they are a weird rig. Not sure of any connection to original FJ.

I believe they are powered with the 4.0l 6cyl that was put in the 2003-2010 4runners, and 05-15 Tacoma’s. Decent engine from the few hundred thousand my family has collectively driven one. But the FJ is big and fat, which equals not a lot of power.

Maybe Ken will chime in, as he has driven one for a few hundred miles Id think.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »

Do they hold up?

Guys who have them modified here right the ifs maintenance all the time. I opted to not buy one due to back seat space as well.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
Don, they wheel pretty good. Rear electric locker. Typical Toyota, pretty dependable. This one is at 157k and never touched anything except the windshield and oil changes. ...3rd windshield to be exact. The vertical angle makes it a rock magnet.
Visibility sucks, especially blind spots.
It compares to a sailboat when driving in the wind.
Fuel mileage: 16-18 hwy, on this one.
Could use a TRD supercharger... not much power. (My wife's new 4runner has the same engine and it weighs about 1500 more...talk about a dog).
My favorite part is the built-in inverter, which I guess is pretty common nowadays.
Not sure what the complaint is from Shawn and T,  with the rear seat. I mean I know Shawn is a lard butt but we fit 3 or 4 skinny girls in the back all the time.
I would use it as a hunting vehicle in a heartbeat, if she would let me. Definitely not going to happen now after cleaning it up.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: October 04, 2019, 02:54:35 AM »
My wife’s 2013 4Runner has the same 4.0L as the FJ. It’s underpowered for sure but coming from a 2.4L GMC Terrain she doesn’t really notice. We’re averaging 19.1 mpg.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: October 05, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
Have some folks coming over Monday so mowed and trimmed yesterday.

Also trouble shot the leaking air on the new to me plasma I picked up.

Cracked drain bowl in the internal water filter.  Found it on amazon for $37. Seller refunded me $50.

So $687 for the little power max.

JR.  Sent you a PM

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: October 05, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »
Got the truck cleaned . It was still packed with Idaho mud.

Getting the 5er ready for deer season.
Seafoam failed me for the first time.
Both fuel pumps for the generator seized from varnish. Fuel station pump also. It's been parked for over 2 years. My fault I guess.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: October 05, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
Bummer. I use stabil and my roller cranked on the second pull after 2 years

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: October 05, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
Bummer. I use stabil and my roller cranked on the second pull after 2 years

Regular pump gas, or the good stuff?
This is the last straw for me. I'm either getting rid of the toys, or at least finding good fuel, winning the lottery and paying someone else to work on my Schiff.
Just looked at the roof on the 5er. Looks like drywall texture. Sun is brutal.
...then noticed that the hydraulic hoses for the slideouts, that I just replaced 3ish years ago, are leaking worse than before. Urrrrrr

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: October 05, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
Lucky on my gen, fires right up with 5 year old gas (stable)

But the roof is bad and don't think the gas station works at all. Will repair up at property and I have good gas up there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: October 05, 2019, 07:11:37 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal