Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mike's AR-10 Build  (Read 33357 times)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Mike's AR-10 Build
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »
A Giesselle will be making an appearance as funds regenerate.....in the meantime, I'll just need to learn the beast and once I shoot it with sound fundamentals and accuracy, the upgrade of a match trigger and scope will have increased accuracy that makes me even more capable!

Psh stick with a Mil-Spec trigger. If you can shoot good groups with one of those then you're cool.  :D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
My mil spec sucked! It was the absolute worst trigger I've ever pulled....even tried polishing/filing it but it still sucked. Might have been the brand, dunno.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
My mil spec sucked! It was the absolute worst trigger I've ever pulled....even tried polishing/filing it but it still sucked. Might have been the brand, dunno.

That means you are uncool and need to shoot more!  ;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
:P

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
Clint, from HeavyBuffers called - upper is assembled and inbound along with the rifle buffer and spring set-up he specializes in.  Thankful for that AND the fact that we won't need to suffer under Queen Hildabeast and I'll be able to use the new toy without fear of being legislated into the status of a criminal.

Still need sights and a stock of ammo - will have time while skull gets cerakote treatment; sorry TRN, no red eyes!  Bobby, Spike's kit comes with trigger assembly that's "improved" mil spec so if I get good groups, do I still get credit?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Clint, from HeavyBuffers called - upper is assembled and inbound along with the rifle buffer and spring set-up he specializes in.  Thankful for that AND the fact that we won't need to suffer under Queen Hildabeast and I'll be able to use the new toy without fear of being legislated into the status of a criminal.

Still need sights and a stock of ammo - will have time while skull gets cerakote treatment; sorry TRN, no red eyes!  Bobby, Spike's kit comes with trigger assembly that's "improved" mil spec so if I get good groups, do I still get credit?

I suppose partial credit. In all truth the ALG (Geiselle's wife, I think) ACT is supposedly a good mil-spec trigger.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »

I suppose partial credit. In all truth the ALG (Geiselle's wife, I think) ACT is supposedly a good mil-spec trigger.

I went with ALG on my Integrity build....the one I used to whack a beer at 300 m at Don's farm with the first shot.  I'm hoping Spike's is comparable in quality!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
I went with ALG on my Integrity build....the one I used to whack a beer at 300 m at Don's farm with the first shot.  I'm hoping Spike's is comparable in quality!

I don't think it will be.. but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:52 PM »
It takes a lot of practice and patience to be good with a milspec trigger. I'm not patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2016, 05:06:01 AM »
It takes a lot of practice and patience to be good with a milspec trigger. I'm not patient.

Well then.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
Brown Santa FINALLY showed up with assembled upper and HeavyBuffers spring and buffer- getting closer!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »
Nice looking upper....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »
bueno!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Thanks, can't wait to see how it shoots after it's all completed!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
It's all tan lookin'
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
That's a good looking upper!  8)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Question for y'all in the know - do I sight it in like I did the 5.56 at ~25 feet and it's GTG or do I go x high at 100yrds.  I've got time, but will be getting it on paper indoors before setting up final sight in outside at say 200yrds.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
Mikey,

I think, that being on the AR platform and knowing the 7.62 and the 5.56, I want to say do it the same as your 5.56 gun (Which is one sweet shooting mill btw)

Inside 250, maybe a bit beyond, don't the bullets have strikingly similiar ballistics? So the 25 meter zero, then aim 2" low at 100 meters and dead on at 250 seems like it would fit your .30 cal gun as well.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
I would check it at the 25 and then again at the 100 yd mark, then move out to the 200 yd target for final check point.
Around here, it is hard to find a 200 yd range. I use the ranges to get close then head to the hills to do a final check. If you do go to the hills, please pack out at least as much as what you pack in. Shooters using the hills really give us  a bad name any more. All the junk, including the broken glass, laying around causes the no shooting/trespassing signs to appear.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
Looks nice. I'd start at 25 or 50 (whichever you choose) then check at 100 and roll from there.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »
Must resist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
Must resist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Resistance is futile.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:04 AM »
Mike give me the barrel length and the brand and weight of rounds you'll be shooting and the height of your optic and I'll run you a ballistic table

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Mike give me the barrel length and the brand and weight of rounds you'll be shooting and the height of your optic and I'll run you a ballistic table

First he's gotta find a round that works best out of all the options...

And decide on a scope....

And build the lower...

And find time to actually shoot it...

;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »

First he's gotta find a round that works best out of all the options...

And decide on a scope....

And build the lower...

And find time to actually shoot it...

;D

AHHH, The Hu-man-ity!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
^^^^^^ YEA.....All of THAT!^^^^^

Thanks Charles, will take you up on that as soon as Bobby's punch list is complete!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
Thanks Charles, will take you up on that as soon as Bobby's punch list is complete!

I have to correct the list.

Cerakote lower...

Build lower...

Acquire scope & mount...

Shoot a bunch of test loads....

Smile like a pig in .....

Figure out the favorite round...

Complete sight in...

Contact TRN...

Enjoy at long last.

;D

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:49:37 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »
Since I don't even have the weapon up and functioning yet, and I just procured the first 200 rounds for it, I would love to hear from you all with similar .308 platforms what your favorite brands/loads and projectiles are.  Commercial/Military/Handloads

I do intend on getting a Lee Loader (The all in one SHTF pocket kit) as well as a Dillon progressive press down the road.

If you have a favorite projectile, why and based upon what application?  Target, Hunting, Varmint, Defense

This way I can start a "shopping list" and pick up rounds as I come across them!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
Maybe not the best bullet, but the 147gr fmj is the most common and the cheapest you will find in bulk for about .50 a round.

I use ammoseek to find the cheapest and have had good luck. It is hard to load 308 for less than 35-40 a round.

http://sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/960-round-case-762x51-nato-146-grain-fmj-hirtenberger-surplus-ammo-1970s
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:46:45 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:40:15 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
Here's what I have been buying & shooting as of late
http://sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/1000-round-case-308-win-148-grain-fmj-german-military-surplus-ammo-am203

It's very clean & runs well, I'm not a long range shooter so take it for what it is. I think Ken was or did but some of this. Price is hard to beat if you're stocking up.

Also check out the reviews below product description, sg is great to deal with as is aim.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »
I shoot fgmm 175

The 175 will stay supersonic longer than the 168

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »
I have a couple K of that. Not bright and shinny but who cares.

Even bought some old IMI rejects sometime back. About 1/2 was shootable other was missfeds, dented or slug pushed into the case. But the price was right!

Battlepacks are nice but pricey now if you plane to shoot em. Think I paid $65 for my 200rd packs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
Here's what I have been buying & shooting as of late
http://sgammo.com/product/308-win-762x51-ammo/1000-round-case-308-win-148-grain-fmj-german-military-surplus-ammo-am203

It's very clean & runs well, I'm not a long range shooter so take it for what it is. I think Ken was or did but some of this. Price is hard to beat if you're stocking up.

Also check out the reviews below product description, sg is great to deal with as is aim.....
Yeah, I got some of that. It's still sitting on the floor at work. Haven't tried it yet. Heck of a good deal for plinking rounds.

OldKooT

« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:48 AM »
I second the FGMM 175.....good stuff. Compliments on a sound and attractive build. I shoot M118LR because my junk prefers it.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »
shoot M118LR

If you can find it, that is a good option.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:08:48 PM by BobbyB »

OldKooT

« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »
Yeah a few years back I stumbled on quite a few rounds. Since I am not a fan of that caliber and only have two rifles chambered for it. I should have enough for decades LoL

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
So......

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
Since getting the upper back, I'm kinda stalling out on picking an optic and squirreling away the $.  Liked the combo that TRN put together for someone else via Brownells Vortex 1x6 with mount, and still tossing around the Primary Arms option with the "busy" retical with leads and BDC built in.

With Field Trial season drawing to a close and a really "hot" young dog, my disposable cash has found other homes!

Will be sending out lower to be Cerakoted soon......

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
What type of Loc-tite should be used on different areas of assembly?

Back-up sights?

Buffer Tube?

Anti-walk pins for trigger assembly?

Stock/sling mounts?

Anywhere else?

I know "staking" is another method for some areas, but I'm pretty sure those are already covered, except the Buffer Tube, which doesn't have a nut based upon my stock choice.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2017, 08:33:25 AM »

Back-up sights?

Buffer Tube?

Stock/sling mounts?

Anywhere else?

I know "staking" is another method for some areas, but I'm pretty sure those are already covered, except the Buffer Tube, which doesn't have a nut based upon my stock choice.
I'd use the blue 242 for most of it.
Not sure on the trigger pins.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

Back-up sights?

Buffer Tube?

Stock/sling mounts?

Anywhere else?

Only ever used it on the BUIS. Little dab will do it, the blue stuff is fine. Never heard of using the lock-tite on the other items.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »
I shoot fgmm 175

The 175 will stay supersonic longer than the 168

I've been reloading with 175 gr SMK (the bullet used in fgmm) and it is the only one that I have had good success with so far in my .308.  I will be trying some some 175 gr Nosler CC that I have been told might work well also.  Have some loaded up but not had a chance to shoot them yet.  The Nosler is a little cheaper bullet then the SMK.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

Back-up sights?

Buffer Tube?

Stock/sling mounts?

Anywhere else?

You can use Blue in all those locations, but really most BUIS don't work loose if they are steel and mil spec rail design.

Please describe the buffer tube set up.  That is the one location that needs staking, along with gas key on the bolt carrier.

The anti walk pins should use blue loctite.

Perhaps the most important area for loctite is the scope rings where they hold the scope.  I put blue loctite and then apply a dab of red finger nail polish to be able to easily identify if the screws have worked loose.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:21:32 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
Just saw your reply there Charles:

Used blue loctite on:

Buffer tube since there's no castle nut with Magpul PRS set-up.

Anti-walk pins holding SSA-E trigger - it's sweet!

Handgrip.

Ambi-safety selector.

Stock sling attachment points.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
Now that is a purdy gun.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:52:04 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
Nice looking gun.
I now see the buffer tube issue.
Like Charles said, it will need staked in some form.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
Thanks guys-

Have discovered an issue, possibly one I can live with for awhile?  The Bolt catch; doesn't!  Empty mag, pull back the bolt and it doesn't catch and hold open on the empty Mag.  Now I suspected something early on as it came already installed and didn't have much movement.  I double checked on my 5.56 and the AR10 doesn't function as it should or like the other.

I removed the installed Bolt catch and when the retaining pin was removed, the catch just fell out, but there was no detent or spring shooting across the room.  So I fiddled with it for 45 min. trying to remove the detent to no avail - just sitting there - won't go in or come out!  I replaced the original Bolt catch with the one that came with my lower kit - same manufacturer Spikes, and it didn't work then either.  I'm wondering what gives?

Any suggestions?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Had the same problem with mine Mike. Part of the problem was the cerakote was too thick under the catch, then found that the upper was a little too thick. I ground a little off of the lever where it was contacting the side of the upper, just below the bolt when closed.
If you look inside the mag well, the lever should be pretty close to the bottom of the bolt when manually/fully pressed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »
...by the way, Nice!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal