PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Hide Site/Bug-out location Construction, Part 4

(1/195) > >>

Flyin6:
I felt like this would be a good point to start a part 4 to the improving Hide Site build out.

When just starting the idea was to just nail down someplace to "Go-To," in the event the need arose. I wanted something that was within a few hours drive, but still very remote. I found that location in a very low populated county in Kentucky. There are no 4 lanes anywhere near by and only one primary road in the whole county. The rest of it isjust a network of switchbacks and country roads in all different states of repair.

The land I purchased is nothing that ever showed up formally for sale, and I purchased it for cash and closed in a day. There was practically no footprint to the passing of the deed of the 91 acres.

So that was what I would call Phase 1. That and some minimal improvements to the place with the idea being that it was little more than a rally point, or if I carried in camping gear, it would sustain us in secrecy.

Phase 2 had me improving the dirt road into the property and clearing off some of the mess. The site was a farm as we know that was not used for some three and a half decades. Cedar trees had all but taken over what should have been nearly forty acres of fields. Junk was everywhere and although there was a single wire overhead on a pole with a light, there was nothing else.. Phase 2 concluded with my towing in a camper and powering it with a generator.

Phase 3 began with a couple years work clearing hundreds (Thousands?) of trees, and bush hogging the fields several times to gid them of the encroaching trees. That accomplished, the place really started to open up and could support crops or livestock with the addition of some fencing. I added the "Shed" during this Phase which brought me the ability to do more work and repair things that always seemed to be breaking.

I relocated the camper to a ledge I carved out of the hillside with the now functioning track loader. I bedded that in laying gravel and improving the site weekly. Although powered still by a noisy generator, it was becoming livable. I continued to clear the fields making all sorts of discoveries to include a 1830's Amish built well that still had six to eight feet of water, although the quality of said water is questionable still.

Another big step forward happened with the addition of actual grid supplied electricity. Now the plan remains to go off the grid and live normally, for now the power company supplies the electricity to run all sorts of tools. Speaking of which, the shed has improved and improved, now having heat, pressurized air, saws, and a more complete compliment of tools.

With more and more time being spent down there, I was going through the camper's 40 gallons of water every few days, so that became my next focus. As with everything, I am not going all the way to the final solution, however building out in steps. These smaller steps are cheaper, digestible, and quickly add to the livability and capacity of the place.

Late in part 3, I was constructing the new water tanks and enclosure structure which will house and keep 660 gallons of the wet stuff from freezing during the cold months. I am using solar power, passive type to accomplish that chore.

We shall begin part 4 and Phase 4 with that project, so here goes:

Flyin6:
I tore down the structure and loaded it onto the trailer. I picked a beautiful weekend to reassemble it on site. THe weather man predicted warm and sunny with 60's-70's...Perfect!

But weather men being what they are, some when throwing the tea leaves and whale bones they use to guess at the weather, pitch them in a haphazard manner and we get a bunch of junk for weather. In my case, this weekend, it was rain and mud...Lots of it!

So I started day 1 of a three day run mounting things in the shed. I picked up this HF fire extinguisher for the workshop

Flyin6:
Northern Tool had this rack of bins on sale for like $15 so I scored one and mounted that sucker up

Flyin6:
...Yes a handful of life-savers

This is a survival site after all!

Flyin6:
And a handy spot for the bottle of glue

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version