PERSONAL READINESS > Hide Site

Hide/bugout site build thread Part 1

(1/175) > >>

Flyin6:
Folks, I've wanted to do this to show the development of a bugout site/family fun spot/hunting cabin, or getting out with the boyz for a weekend of football and deer chili.

So here goes. We will start with a spot on the map and a parch of ground and take that all the way from dirt to something that could sustain you and your family while remaining completely off grid.

My site will have commercial electricity, but only for a time. At some point we will no longer need outside power or water or anything. We'll engineer the place so that mother nature and my family will labor to make it all work.

Here it is the day we started:

Flyin6:
It is what is left of an old abandoned rural...very rural farm. It hasn't raised a single anything for some 35 years but was used as a deer hunting lease during the past few decades

The old farm house is no longer any good. The foundation in the basement is buckling, there is a large hole in the roof, raccoons have torn the inside to pieces and all the walls are rotted

It will be pushed in, and burned to the ground after I salvage the wood burning stove

Flyin6:
The shed beside it is not salvageable either. it will meet the match as well.

Flyin6:
We used this past weekend as a training opportunity. The concept was to practice a bug-out from our homes and move to the site and occupl it. We wanted to test packing lists and start to work out bugs, and let me tell ya, there were plenty.

But this is realistic stuff here. When you move you won't be an elite special forces A-Team. You will be your very own family and possibly a tag along or two. So this exercise utilized the men folk of our respective clans.

At my home, I began on Thursday with a full field layout of everyone's bags displaying everything each of us was bringing. Additions and subtractions were made and we actually went shopping to pick up some more things we were lacking.

With all that done I packed up a cooler, water cans (Armee ones) weapons and camping gear. The assumption was that the house would not be inhabitable (and it's not) so we would have to establish a camp site and grow from there.

Flyin6:
We brought two cots for Duane and I, and the boys used ground pads. The terrain had a slight grade and was grass covered. The views in all direction were great as we could see things from a distance.

The property has a spring fed pond, and a couple of perennial streams which were running this weekend. But those streams lie 300-400 vertical feet below the camp site so getting water was going to be a chore. (Note to self: Cistern is a high priority!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version