Hello Guest

Author Topic: 16 Ram 2500 CTD  (Read 5549 times)

Offline turn_one

• Registered
    • View Profile
16 Ram 2500 CTD
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »
I recently traded in my '11 Ram 2500 CTD in for a new 16.  The changes below the surface are minimal between the two but most noticeable was the link/coil set up in the rear vs. the old standard leaf.  I noticed this to make a significant difference in ride quality over my '11 model(which had Carli components and a progressive rear leaf).

Old truck:

...and new one stock:

This new truck is a Outdoorsman package which nixes some chrome bits in favor of black (but the bumpers for some reason) and comes with some standard features I prefer.  I managed to find some stock black wheels which come on black appearance group trucks at the dealer which I traded up for.

The plan was to lift it, but not too much as to allow for easy bike loading.  This was an issue with my '11.  This meant new front/rear coils and some longer travel shocks.  I decided on Thuren Fabrication (https://www.thurenfabrication.com) which isn't too far from me and, from my research makes some quality parts.  I wasn't particuarlly impressed with my experience with Carli.  I also needed to consider the main objective of this truck was to haul around my pop-up camper on extended trips.  This meant I didn't want to go too tall, too rigid or too extreme with my build approach.

Set on the parts I drove down to Bend OR to Thuren but first made a stop in Portland to get this baby slapped on.  Its a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model.  I did a ton of research and it came down to these guys due to weight (it's aluminum), strength, add-ons, service, etc.  I'll not get into the camper here as that's another thread/forum but I can say that I'm over the moon with it thus far.  I've had it since January and have probably spent 20+ nights in it.

At the Four Wheel dealer day of install:

Coming home from Bend somewhere in south central WA (it was about 6 degrees here):

The lift went on fairly well.  By fairly well I mean it was only somewhat of a crap show.  It rained the entire week, my garage doesn't accept trucks this big so I was wet and cold for most of the job.  Rear was surprisingly more difficult than the front in part due to the airbags and cradle modifications I had to do.  A few calls to Chief (you guys know him as Flyin6) netted advice like; 'just plasma torch off that panhard and weld in some adjustable links and you'll be good'.  My toolbox doesn't contain such devices so it ended up being elbow grease and swearing (with a little help from the wife) that got it done.

Post suspension work and pretty much how it sits now:

Love how the truck handles now, tons better than the rear leaf trucks from previous years. 

Future plans include 2.5 Kings and some steel tube or plate bumpers.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Ram 2500 CTD
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
Nice truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »
Both those trucks are nice.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »
I'll put my bias toward the Blue Oval aside and compliment you on a great looking truck.  The camper is also very nice.

Further, I'll go on to make a completely separate statement about these photographs, which are OUTSTANDING.

Well played, sir.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »
That looks great! Love to see the write up on the camper too when you post it. 

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »
wolf, what blue oval you talkin bout? 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
Nate, I think he means the kind you see on wreckers all the time!?!? JK mr wolf.

Nice rigs there Turn...I lol'ed at "...just cut it off with a plasma.....". Definitely sounds like our Chief.

Oh, did it come factory with bags?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:32:55 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline turn_one

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
Thanks to all for the compliments.  Here are a few more from the same trip.

This one from Gooseberry Mesa near Zion UT.  Made for a pretty sweet solitary camping spot.

...and this spot..took about 2 1/2 hours and 60 miles of gravel road to get to.  Toroweap on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  Truck is in the center of the pic and 3000 + feet of air is behind me:

Offline turn_one

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:13:50 AM »
Nate, I think he means the kind you see on wreckers all the time!?!? JK mr wolf.

Nice rigs there Turn...I lol'ed at "...just cut it off with a plasma.....". Definitely sounds like our Chief.

Oh, did it come factory with bags?

Thanks Ken.  No factory bags, I installed some AirLift bags when doing the lift.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:05 AM »
Nice trucks.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:48 AM »
Love those western pics....here I get 50 feet from the vehicle and ur lucky if you can catch a glimpse of paint through the trees. Love that north rim ahot!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
Ya know if you drive that thing over to visit your dad and brothers/sisters, I'll bet that bonehead (Dad) would weld ya up something just to change it up a bit!

Nice truck!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »
he may be trying to keep the resale value where it is......................... ???
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:46 PM »
need we talk about the current wax job........... ???

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 07:01:08 AM »
Nice truck and camper Lil' D!  Very nice photos too, but they're missing those swirly reflections we see in those from Kentucky D.......just saying-  ;)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
Well, Son, sorry for DOT'in up your thread, but it seems to be the way with these people!

It's only swirly for a time, Mikey!

Picked up a brandly-new, never been chewed HR random orbit polisher yestertag!

Gonna make all things right

And I ciphered on it a bit and know what?

I thing those door handles and body moldin's need to become matt (Epoxy) black...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
wolf, what blue oval you talkin bout?

I'm a Ford guy.  I don't dig square wheel wells or government bailouts.  Not trying to DOT this thread, it's a very nice truck, but I like the camper unit even better.

I really, REALLY like the photos of the high desert scenes and the enjoyment of the individuals who are present in them.  Being out there surrounded by God's creations is as close to heaven as you can get while still walking the Earth.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
When it comes to brand loyalty and fans of the other automakers, GM always gets beaten up for taking bailout money from the TARP fund back in 2009. Ford fans point out that the blue oval crew didn’t take any “bailout money,” which is almost true. When it comes to this topic, its like a duck floating on a pond. Above the water level, everything is calm, but below the water surface, the duck is paddling like hell. If we are talking about Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) money, then yes, Ford did not take any money from the TARP fund. Did they get bailout money from other sources in the government? Yes they did… and a lot of it.

Let’s reset the timeline history. The big three automakers appeared before congress in November of 2008, requesting $50 billion to avoid bankruptcy.

Congress put the automakers in the hotseat and refused their initial request, sending the automakers back home to refine their plans. Congress was willing to loan the companies money as long as it was tied to the development of energy efficient vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler wanted another 25 billion from the TARP fund, largely to support the auto unions and jobs within the companies.

In December of 2008, the automakers came back to congress requesting $35 billion, of which congress agreed to $23.4 billion in bailout money using TARP funds.

What The Automakers Got

The breakdown of the Automotive Industry Finance Program had loans to provide operating cash to GM and Chrysler, as well as money available for the car buyers through GMAC. General Motors was awarded a $13.4 billion loan with $6 billion set aside for GMAC. Chrysler was given a $4 billion loan. These amounts were determined to be the best alternatives for the companies by congress.

Does that mean that Ford did not get any money from the governement? Hardly. Congress decided that the best alternative for Ford was to get funds from the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF), which is a government program for auto, student, and other consumer loans. These were very low-cost government loans to the tune of $5.9 billion that helped Ford tip-toe past bankruptcy and overhaul their factories to bring out more fuel-efficient technology. The Obama administration’s plans of having a million electric cars on the road by 2015 were being funneled through Ford and two other companies (Nissan and Tesla), and Ford fans had the audacity to call GM “Government Motors.”

Despite hiding behind the trees for a couple of years, the bailout finally caught up with Ford as evidenced by the Ford’s Twin Cities Assembly Plant in Minnesota which was closed in 2011. Photo from www.wikipedia.org

That was the tradeoff for Ford. They promised to fast-track development of energy-efficient vehicles and consolidate operations by making “greener” cars that the Obama administration wanted to see.

Ford Credit borrowed $15.9 billion dollars as opposed to GMAC, GM’s financing arm which borrowed $13.9 billion. These numbers make the perception that Ford was the only Detroit-based company that didn’t need a federal handout during the economic crash completely false.

For their part, GM agreed to streamline the number of brands they produce. The big three CEOs agreed to work for $1 a year and sell their corporate jets as well.

Let’s be honest here: Ford has gotten a free pass and earned market shares for being the only US automaker that “didn’t take bailout money,” when they did in fact, take government loans with the condition of making cars that the government wanted. Which company was truly “Government Motors” in the real behind the scenes scenario? That would be Ford, of course.

All of this information is public and easily researched. We don’t want you to take our word for it but we expect you to take a minute and look it up for your own edification. Then the next time a Ford owner says; “At least Ford didn’t take bailout money,” you can call BS and set the record straight.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
Anyway, back to the truck...

I like it.  I have a 2015 1500 Eco-Diesel in the same body configuration and color, except that I have the Ram-box bed.  I have almost used up the stock tires on mine and will lift it when I put on new tires.  What size are the tires and lift on yours?

Offline turn_one

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »
Anyway, back to the truck...

I like it.  I have a 2015 1500 Eco-Diesel in the same body configuration and color, except that I have the Ram-box bed.  I have almost used up the stock tires on mine and will lift it when I put on new tires.  What size are the tires and lift on yours?

Thanks!  What kind of mileage are you getting from that Eco-Diesel?  I had also removed all the DPF stuff and bought a tuner from a shop in Florida that allowed for the addition of a straight 4" from the down pipe to muffler.  It was too loud so I had a muffler shop weld in a large can to quiet it up.  With the removal of the DPF I'm getting as good as 20 mpgs if I take it easy.

The tires are stock 285/60/20 which are visually small with the lift but I don't care.  Once wore out I'll put a slightly more aggressive AT on in the 35" range.  The front springs raised the truck about 2.5-3" and the rears maybe 1".  They're soft-ride could from Thuren.  I feel these trucks sit pretty high as it is and I don't need any additional lift for the stuff I'm doing...and it makes putting bikes, camper etc in the  back unnecessarily tough.

Should have the 2.5 Kings on order Monday.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
Ford Credit borrowed $15.9 billion dollars as opposed to GMAC, GM’s financing arm which borrowed $13.9 billion.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It was a very interesting time in our recent history.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
Thanks to all for the compliments.  Here are a few more from the same trip.

This one from Gooseberry Mesa near Zion UT.  Made for a pretty sweet solitary camping spot.

...and this spot..took about 2 1/2 hours and 60 miles of gravel road to get to.  Toroweap on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  Truck is in the center of the pic and 3000 + feet of air is behind me:

That is some beautiful scenery, including the truck. Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Lake Powell will always be favorites of mine. And as much as I like the reliance of older vehicle design, the creature comforts to experience now from the newer vehicles are unparalleled to years past.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
Thanks!  What kind of mileage are you getting from that Eco-Diesel? 

Lifetime average is 24.2mpg over 34,650 miles.  Best tank was just over 30 mpg, worst was 17.  The worst MPG occurred in March during a trip to Wyoming; kept the cruise at around 80 mph through the mountain passes, climbs and high winds between Cheyenne and Pinedale.     
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:45:54 AM by Dustoff35 »

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
Nice looking truck...and great pics of some beautiful country. Good motivation for me to get the adventure rig done.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »
Yeah, hurry up already will ya!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
did you take I80 all the way to rock springs and then go north on 191?

I just drove past there a few weeks ago on the way to WA.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
did you take I80 all the way to rock springs and then go north on 191?

I just drove past there a few weeks ago on the way to WA.

Yes I did.  100 miles north of Rock Springs on 191 is Pinedale, my (old) hometown.  Did you drive through Pinedale and Jackson Hole or just take I-80 all the way through Wyoming?   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:05:23 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
I came 25 north, got on 80 at Cheyenne all the way thru to 84 just outside of ogden then 84 all the way to Portland then 5 north.  there were other shorter and faster ways to go, but I was pulling my trailer that was overloaded and just chose to stay on the interstates and spend a bit longer time and mile wise just to be safe.  that is all beautiful area.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal