Hello Guest

Author Topic: Eotech issues  (Read 4775 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Eotech issues
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/04/03/u-s-special-operations-units-are-using-faulty-rifle-sights/

Interesting.  I knew I liked my Aimpoints for a reason but I guess the eotech on my saiga 12 ga is close enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Eotech issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
Ouch. I love mine, but I don't think I would ever rely on an electronic sight in a hostile enviroment....especially one that eats batteries for breakfast .
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
I agree I like mine as well & don't plan on using it in those weather extremes but you never know. I have decided I won't be fitting any more rifles with those though.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
I've got one on my AR, and have never had any issues. Then again, the most extreme temperature shifts mine experiences is going from an air conditioned vehicle to a hot summer day at the range. I haven't experienced any issues at 95*+, with close to 100% humidity, either. That said, I've never relied on a CQ sight for anything past 50m. I use my BUIS for 100m+. It's obvious that the author of the article has no clue what he's talking about with reference to room clearing, and a sight failure risking lives. At room clearing ranges, if the target fills the "square", you'll hit it.

I like the EOtech better than the Aimpoint I had overseas. It's quicker for me to acquire targets. I never heard anything but praise for the EOtech both of my tours in Iraq. That said, if the company was covering up issues, I have a big problem with that. I'll have to rethink whether they deserve any more of my business....
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
Back in Baghdad in 05-06 when I was flying Black Water shooters around in the littlebird, that camp was split between the Eotech and the ACOG. I just shot iron sights, but when I converted it was to the little battery Eotech. I still have it today mounted on an AR.

Next assignment, Kandahar, we ran ACOGs and I have to say, they are my fav. I like that little chevron pointing at some rag head, ah, I mean target at an OSHA approved range of course.

Why don't the targets at the range go "poof" into a red cloud? Must be made of a different material in Afghanistan...

Any who, I use the short battery Eotech and haven't broken it. It has vibrated in a MD-530, and a Super Huey for seventeen ga-zillion vibrations and still works. But same/same with the ACOG
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
I've never had a problem with EoTech, and I wasn't easy with it when I was overseas. Never had a temp shift, maybe I got lucky? People are dumping them after reading reports like that, which I understand is a downer; but if you've never had a problem with it, why all of a sudden decide it's not working or it's not safe for HD, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, or whatever scenario you have?

Not pointing fingers, that was just a broad statement. And as a control I've used EoTech, Aimpoint, ACOG and ELCAN overseas and never had a problem with any of them.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:59:20 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »
Bobby, I think the only folks who are going to run to ditch their EOTech are the Interweb "Operators".  Unfortunately, that crowd can have a very big impact on company sales, especially if they lose Govt contracts. Oh, and the ACOG is a great system for the M4 size AR!

~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Bobby, I think the only folks who are going to run to ditch their EOTech are the Interweb "Operators".  Unfortunately, that crowd can have a very big impact on company sales, especially if they lose Govt contracts. Oh, and the ACOG is a great system for the M4 size AR!

ACOG is nice, I like the horseshoe reticle they have. I've been looking at them whenever I wander around the local gun shops. Even the green color is growing on me.  The local sporting goods store has one that a 3.5x version, so it's got a little more eye relief. It's a plus that the human eye can see more green than red.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 03:21:31 PM »

ACOG is nice, I like the horseshoe reticle they have. I've been looking at them whenever I wander around the local gun shops. Even the green color is growing on me.  The local sporting goods store has one that a 3.5x version, so it's got a little more eye relief. It's a plus that the human eye can see more green than red.

Green you say?

Never saw that before

Mine has the red chevron thing

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »

Green you say?

Never saw that before

Mine has the red chevron thing

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31H-G

Yes green. The human eye can see more green shades better than red. I don't mind the chevron, that's what I had overseas, but the horseshoe looks interesting.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
Never saw that before.

I knew about the human eye's sensitivity to green light

Green lasers are very effective used to dazzle or blind a human

Happened to me while flying twice. Once by some bonehead in the aircraft beside me...Grunt??

And once while flying a Comair Jet on a 15 mile final to  Cincy. Some Bozo was lighting up all the jets coming in and I got flash dazzled big time. Had to transfer the controls to the other guy...l couldn't see to fly!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »
Sounds like a good time to pick up some used Eotechs cheap on the secondary market.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
Sounds like a good time to pick up some used Eotechs cheap on the secondary market.

From what I've been reading, most people are sending them back to EoTech/L3 to get a full refund of the purchasing price. Although if you can find them used, I'd have no problem buying one, EoTech CS takes care of it's customers.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 04:52:24 AM »
I sent mine back. Got refunded my purchase price plus tax in about 8 weeks. I didn't have any issues with it either but I felt after the memorandum was published and my current application, there could be a case for negligence and I didn't want to take that chance. Mine served me well so I won't knock the product. I equate it to an evolution thing...

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »

From what I've been reading, most people are sending them back to EoTech/L3 to get a full refund of the purchasing price. Although if you can find them used, I'd have no problem buying one, EoTech CS takes care of it's customers.

You are right. The one I had just quit working and I sent it in for a repair estimate since it was way out of warranty (like 8 years old) and they sent me a new one for about 1/3 the cost of a new one.  It now rests on top of my Saiga 12 ga

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:14 AM »
I sent mine back. Got refunded my purchase price plus tax in about 8 weeks. I didn't have any issues with it either but I felt after the memorandum was published and my current application, there could be a case for negligence and I didn't want to take that chance. Mine served me well so I won't knock the product. I equate it to an evolution thing...

In your situation jobwise that makes sense. What're you going to replace it with?

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »

In your situation jobwise that makes sense. What're you going to replace it with?

Probably an I-scope! ;)

No... I got an aimpointe micro

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »

Probably an I-scope! ;)

No... I got an aimpointe micro

I-Scope for life!

The T-1 / T-2?

Or H-1 / H-2?

Pairing it with a magnifier? If so I think the 2s' are a better choice. Supposedly the dot doesn't turn into a slash or whatnot. I wouldn't know as I've never messed with either.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
That's funny right there.I thought he was serious at first, til I scrolled down.

I hope they come out with a droid version! haha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »
That's funny right there.I thought he was serious at first, til I scrolled down.

I hope they come out with a droid version! haha
I just checked out their site. They have the iScope for iPhone, Android, and Samsung phones.  :D
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
I got an aimpointe micro

Quote from: Higher Caliber;3253026
It's easy enough to get tunnel vision when the woodpecker starts cackling at you without having to look through a little ass hole. (Pure opinion and *personal* experience there)

Since you mentioned you have the Aimpoint micro, does your outlook still follow the above thoughts? Or have you changed how you look at things (pun possibly intended...)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 03:29:43 PM »
Never dropped the coin for the brands, but have clones of em all. Never really thought of any of them for 100+ yard use, but never had issues either.

They have NV scopes now that are all electronic, but I don't trust em.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
Yeah, I have evolved. I know in the past I have been pretty closed minded on a few things. This example being one of such things. However the micro has not presented the tunnel focus to me like the ACOG did. Of course I don't spend much time in application outside of an area much bigger than a room anymore... :(

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:53 AM »
Yeah, I have evolved. I know in the past I have been pretty closed minded on a few things. This example being one of such things. However the micro has not presented the tunnel focus to me like the ACOG did. Of course I don't spend much time in application outside of an area much bigger than a room anymore... :(

You running a magnifier behind it or just the Micro?

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
Just the micro. Honestly if I see it with my naked eye, I can be sub "minute of bad guy" w/o magnification. If I can't see it, I probably shouldn't be shooting at it without a certificate qualifying me to shoot that far. If I ever get to the point I can't boot a door, I'll lay in the weeds on over watch!

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Just the micro. Honestly if I see it with my naked eye, I can be sub "minute of bad guy" w/o magnification. If I can't see it, I probably shouldn't be shooting at it without a certificate qualifying me to shoot that far. If I ever get to the point I can't boot a door, I'll lay in the weeds on over watch!

Got ya. You have the new micro or the 1? Just asking since they changed the len coating and etc so I was going to ask for a no BS grunt level answer.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
I have the t1.

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »
I have the t1.

Well then... Let me know how you like it after it's been beat on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal