Hello Guest

Author Topic: Don's 2022 Ram 3500  (Read 6323 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Don's 2022 Ram 3500
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »
Oh, and looking for some feedback here.

What do you all think of this front bumper?

I had not planned to change the front bumper, but I sort of want to carry around a front winch. I have used it from time to time in the past in the chevy. I may not ever need it, but I am just so used to having one...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 04:38:14 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2023, 04:54:15 PM »
Good looking unit.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2023, 06:47:54 PM »
Good looking bumper

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2023, 06:53:03 PM »
I like it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2023, 08:04:29 PM »
Meh 🫤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2023, 08:41:28 PM »
Dang Dave, just got a hit from the Dmax forums. You are a busy man!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2023, 09:19:11 PM »
I like it but personally would want a deer guard on it. Or in my case, deer, elk, moose etc…..
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2023, 09:32:36 PM »
I think Don would have to flip the deer guard so it stuck down about three inches above the ground to keep him out of the mall mulch.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2023, 07:30:48 AM »
After speaking with the boys at Carli, I should not have sold you the individual components without the shocks, as they are all engineered to work around each other like one big happy family. If you found fox 2.0 try them out before throwing in the towel on the system. as they are not carli tuned they may not be as ideal as they were intended but are likely to solve 90% of your issues. He's hard to get on the phone since it's just him, but Tyler over at Carli is a wealth of knowledge. Tyler@carlisusupension.com. just let him know you're working with me on this project.
I couldn't agree more.  The Carli suspension is a well-designed, well-engineered and quality-manufactured system.  Realize that when you substitute parts, you change the system and alter the proven recipe.  The off-the-shelf, non-Carli-tuned Fox shocks are not part of the system. I will be surprised if you get the results you want.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 07:56:23 AM by Dustoff35 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »
I like it but personally would want a deer guard on it. Or in my case, deer, elk, moose etc…..
I think you may be correct, S. Digging a bit deeper and I discovered that so-called winch bumper has no winch access from the top!

So how exactly would I flip the clutch lever on my winch?

FAIL!!!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2023, 11:06:32 AM »
After speaking with the boys at Carli, I should not have sold you the individual components without the shocks, as they are all engineered to work around each other like one big happy family. If you found fox 2.0 try them out before throwing in the towel on the system. as they are not carli tuned they may not be as ideal as they were intended but are likely to solve 90% of your issues. He's hard to get on the phone since it's just him, but Tyler over at Carli is a wealth of knowledge. Tyler@carlisusupension.com. just let him know you're working with me on this project.
I couldn't agree more.  The Carli suspension is a well-designed, well-engineered and quality-manufactured system.  Realize that when you substitute parts, you change the system and alter the proven recipe.  The off-the-shelf, non-Carli-tuned Fox shocks are not part of the system. I will be surprised if you get the results you want.
Well, did you get the results you wanted?

Seems to me your truck rides pretty rough as well. Have you driven the section of highway to/from Louisville, that is the only way you or anyone could access how the Carli setup on your truck managed that particular section of horrible road. And your wife stated there was no change, which is far from scientific but shows that there really is not much of a change in ride quality after the installation of the complete Carli system.

I think the elephant in the room here is the fact that these are full on 1-ton trucks. The bias with respect to design from the engineering side has to be toward hauling heavy weight in lieu of a nice ride. Look at the rear suspension. The 2500 has a coil spring setup whereas the 3500 has wide (3") thick leaves and only four of them. That leaf is designed to carry a lot of weight. If they were shooting for a compliant ride, then the leaf pack would have had many more thinner leaves.

So regardless of how many millimeters of difference there is between an "Off the shelf" Fox shock and a Carli-spec one, the butt calibration is still measuring in feet or yards. I highly doubt there will be any detectable difference between the Fox 2.0 I have and the non-available Carli units. Further, in my defense, who would have known a Bilstein shock (If that is the problem) would have married so poorly with the Carli springs. Because those springs are really the only thing from the Carli system that would/could affect the suspension. The drop brackets only bring the caster back to where it was before the front lift. The track bar only returns the axle back to where it was before lifting. The rear 1" blocks are inconsequential, and as I discovered, there was no air pressure in the Firestone bags due to a leak somewhere.

Therefore, the only factors that could affect the truck this much are the shocks or the springs. Even if one spring is upside down, the rate would be the same, and I am yet to determine if that is the case. It only affects the bowing of the spring according to a vid I just watched on the subject.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2023, 12:21:17 PM »
Well, did you get the results you wanted?
[/quote]

I did.

My objectives were simple:

1. Level the truck.  Check.
2. Eliminate the harsh "donkey-kick" from the rear when crossing an expansion joint while empty. Check.
3. No towing/payload capacity reduction. Check.

I never expected this truck to ride like a coil-sprung 2500 or 1500. I can say that ride quality IS improved.

The suspension setups ARE different. I have additional components that I believe make a difference. Besides the Carli-tuned, (NON- "Off-the-Shelf"  :grin:) King shocks, there is the torsion-type sway bar and the greaseable rear spring shackles. The Carli radius arms would not make a difference regarding ride quality.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 01:48:07 PM by Dustoff35 »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2023, 12:25:43 PM »
Additionally, my truck has the Ramboxes which likely adds a couple-hundred lbs.  I also have a bed-mounted Titan auxiliary fuel tank that adds 300-325lbs.  I'm sure that helps.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2023, 05:50:07 PM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
https://kelderman.com/shop/air-suspension/stock-height/2019-ram-3500-p-u-4x4-4-link-rear-air-suspension

Ride like buttah!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And you no longer need a trailer tongue jack.  Drop the bags, back up, pull in, lift n go!!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2023, 11:04:41 PM »
Yes, that is trick.

So, I got after the shock swap, this time using the FOX 2.0's

I guess I thought the Bilstein's were 2" bodies, but the FOX bodies were larger in diameter.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2023, 11:05:57 PM »
It was just a bunch of work, but the swap happened along with some other stuff in just a few hours.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2023, 11:08:00 PM »
As I noted in an earlier post, the driver's side spring was installed upside down, so I corrected that along with a problem with the exact positioning of the passenger upper spring seat.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2023, 11:16:45 PM »
I buttoned it all up then went on a test drive. I topped up the fuel tank then hit the interstate headed toward Louisville. I could not avoid hitting many good-sized potholes.

The result is a positive one. The Fox shock swap definitely took a lot of the bone-jarring sensations out of the ride. It was not as smooth as the factory, but much better than with the German shocks. I would say it is 50% better than it was and something short of the factory ride. It is now acceptable.

Isn't it amazing that the factory ride quality is better than the high-cost replacement stuff? I would advise not to level the truck just for the sake of leveling if you have a newer truck. If I knew then what I know now, I would have left everything stock for a couple of years and just put up with the nose-low attitude (Which I do not like).

So, it is what it is, although it no longer rides as smoothly as stock, these springs and shocks offer all sorts of an expanded envelope. I'll likely never learn about it, but is done and I am moving on.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2023, 03:10:44 AM »
I believe the Fox shocks are rebuildable too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2023, 06:51:00 AM »
Did you get those greaseable leaf spring shackles installed?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2023, 08:04:09 AM »
Don with those bags you might consider softer leafs if you aren’t going full air ride. More comfortable ride but you have the bags when things get heavy.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2023, 09:23:48 AM »
I didn't purchase them...Am stopping here for awhile...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2023, 09:28:59 AM »

Glad you got the issue solved and are taking a break from the full vehicle build you started.  :popcorn:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
Don with those bags you might consider softer leafs if you aren’t going full air ride. More comfortable ride but you have the bags when things get heavy.

Maybe, down the road. With us possibly selling the farm and possibly buying a fifth wheel and wanting to travel, I need to see how the future is setting up to look like. Then I can make some good solid decisions about the truck.
There are some things I can do to it now, however that work in any scenario. Those are the things I will be doing.
Widening the stance may make sense. A better front bumper may make sense. A better A tire may make sense, however, I have taken this truck off road and I have to confess these LBGTires (Firestone "Trans" Force) seem to provide pretty good traction. Duane's suggestion for an aux tank wouldn't hurt either.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2023, 09:30:57 AM »

Glad you got the issue solved and are taking a break from the full vehicle build you started.  :popcorn:
Not going to do that with this one
I still have the burb for that
and
I keep thinking that would be a cooler truck with an updated interior and a larger motor.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2023, 01:31:50 PM »
I like the aux tank idea. Plus you dont loose much with a long bed. With a tool box would be great too, as you will always needs more storage.

Put a nice 5thor gooseneck in there. I like gooseneck as it leaves the bed open when not used.

Put a load on it and see how it rides then, isn't that the idea?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2023, 08:24:03 PM »
I like the aux tank idea. Plus you dont loose much with a long bed. With a tool box would be great too, as you will always needs more storage.

Put a nice 5thor gooseneck in there. I like gooseneck as it leaves the bed open when not used.

Put a load on it and see how it rides then, isn't that the idea?
It's not a long bed. Has a 6'4" box (I think)
There is plenty of time, I don't need to go rushing into anything just yet.
I'll just drive it for awhile

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2023, 01:58:11 PM »
I buttoned it all up then went on a test drive. I topped up the fuel tank then hit the interstate headed toward Louisville. I could not avoid hitting many good-sized potholes.

The result is a positive one. The Fox shock swap definitely took a lot of the bone-jarring sensations out of the ride. It was not as smooth as the factory, but much better than with the German shocks. I would say it is 50% better than it was and something short of the factory ride. It is now acceptable.

Isn't it amazing that the factory ride quality is better than the high-cost replacement stuff? I would advise not to level the truck just for the sake of leveling if you have a newer truck. If I knew then what I know now, I would have left everything stock for a couple of years and just put up with the nose-low attitude (Which I do not like).

So, it is what it is, although it no longer rides as smoothly as stock, these springs and shocks offer all sorts of an expanded envelope. I'll likely never learn about it, but is done and I am moving on.

Glad you got a better outcome with these and sad you didn't get a chance to ride the tuned shocks to match the spring rate, but this is better than 2 months wait time for sure. it is really amazing how valving and tuning have an effect on ride quality. if you had bigger heavier tires and wheels, those bilstiens might have been just the ticket.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:09 PM »

Glad you got a better outcome with these and sad you didn't get a chance to ride the tuned shocks to match the spring rate, but this is better than 2 months wait time for sure. it is really amazing how valving and tuning have an effect on ride quality. if you had bigger heavier tires and wheels, those bilstiens might have been just the ticket.
I still have room to grow and get an even better ride.
I currently have the Mopar supplied 20" rims with a 33.5" tire.
I could most easily switch to an eighteen-inch rim with a slightly larger tire, say a 285/75R18 and get a whole bunch more sidewall to absorb the bumps. That and perhaps reduce the tire pressure by 5-10psi and all in all, I would have what I am looking for.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2023, 06:46:52 PM »
Kind of leaning toward this bumper at the moment:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2023, 07:07:22 PM »
Whats not to like?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2023, 10:05:34 PM »
Whats not to like?
Exactly

Except for a 6-week lead time!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2023, 10:16:05 PM »
That’s a reasonable lead time, I think I waited double that a year ago. I like the bumper btw, make sure the powder has some sort of warranty, mine is already compromised in a couple areas.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
That’s a reasonable lead time, I think I waited double that a year ago. I like the bumper btw, make sure the powder has some sort of warranty, mine is already compromised in a couple areas.
Copy that

I'd buy it plain metal if I could and do the PC here...But, no bueno

So, haven't exactly decided, but It is warming up for me.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2023, 07:40:46 PM »
Kind of leaning toward this bumper at the moment:

To me there's too much open unprotected grill. I can foresee a deer or something finding it's way past the perimeter bar into the expensive stuff. But it's my unfounded opinion without any skin in the game.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2023, 12:20:12 AM »
I think with out the lift and big tires it won’t look proportionate.  But Iv never much liked the off road bumper

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2023, 08:56:12 AM »
I think with out the lift and big tires it won’t look proportionate.  But Iv never much liked the off road bumper

Could be.

I think that lift is about like mine, nothing crazy, but I want to say the truck in the pic is running 37's. I'll be at 34.5ish with the next set of tires (35's)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2023, 01:06:30 PM »
All the newer trucks are just plastic, so easy to damage.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2023, 09:00:39 PM »
Pushing forward, I am continuing to make small upgrades.

Anyone who owns one of these trucks knows the thing has a pretty significant laggy pedal.

I decided to do something about it!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2023, 09:02:12 PM »
Essentially a better designed, Pedal Commander. That brand had two cables, this one had one with two pigtails.

It intercepts the pedal signal coming out of the accelerator pedal module:

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2023, 09:02:59 PM »
It's a pretty simple device and a 15 minute install.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »
You simply unplug the connector at the pedal, then plug in the module into the two connectors. Next secure the thing and set it to which level you desire, and you're all done.

There is a short non-mandatory learning procedure, which I accomplished, then I test-drove the truck.

Sure enough, it made all the difference. Now when I step on the pedal the truck MOVES like right now. I set mine to sport, a step below race and a step above stock. It also has an eco-mode that no self respecting American straight male would ever care about.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2023, 09:09:18 PM »
The other thing I did was install the Bullitt system to hold my cell phone. I chose the magnetic pad which also charges the phone while it is held in place.

I added a double mount to the Jeep as well, one for my phone, and one for hers. I fell one mounting arm short for my truck, but I will add it.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2023, 09:10:12 PM »
And just like last time, they sent me a useless 30-06 cartridge!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2023, 10:53:31 PM »
How did you choose that brand over edge or Banks?

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2023, 02:06:33 PM »
How did you choose that brand over edge or Banks?

Availability and cost. Thoroughbred diesel likes them...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »

I would say you must repent after such blasphemy, however;

« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:06:44 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2023, 08:19:34 PM »

I would say you must repent after such blasphemy, however;

Hey, did you look at it closely????

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2023, 09:52:59 PM »
Hey, did you look at it closely????

I did. I know it's a bottle opener, however; I threw a quick quip in the mix, then faded back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal