Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 6 Bumpers, Winches, wiring, lights, assembly  (Read 452195 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 6 Starting to finish!!!
« Reply #1600 on: August 13, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »
Lookin good Don!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: August 13, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
Then I drilled the "Pin" holes in the camp site tire rack support legs to hold them in place. I used the new Milner tools lifetime warranty drill bits. Those drill bits like a higher than normal bit speed from a "Normal" bit

This sure is sounding more like all of the in-show advertising now days.  Too bad you aren't getting paid / free tools for it.  It seems like every home improvement show just absolutely needs a brand new sierra denali to go pick up one sheet of plywood.  And they have to spend 3 minutes telling things I don't care about in the process.  Jeesh.  ::)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 13, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
Then I drilled the "Pin" holes in the camp site tire rack support legs to hold them in place. I used the new Milner tools lifetime warranty drill bits. Those drill bits like a higher than normal bit speed from a "Normal" bit

This sure is sounding more like all of the in-show advertising now days.  Too bad you aren't getting paid / free tools for it.  It seems like every home improvement show just absolutely needs a brand new sierra denali to go pick up one sheet of plywood.  And they have to spend 3 minutes telling things I don't care about in the process.  Jeesh.  ::)
Not sure what you're saying, but I'm just commenting on the drill bits in case someone wanted information on them.
Yea, be nice to get paid for some of this, but this site is not about $$$, just building networks, men, and honoring God.
The rest will come if he wants it to. I'm good to go with that.

So I'm in the middle of "Nug-Central"
Just a bunch of nug work on this bumper. Welding, grinding, fitting, smoothing, and finish work. unglamorous and time consuming.

You'll see a bunch of pics tonight, but not showing much, more of a slow change than a  metamorphosis.

First before the bumper, the bottom of the shelf cured up nicely. I'll flatten it some, then lay down the bed liner
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:50:08 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 13, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
I flipped it over and laid down one layer of cloth and resin. I'll smooth this and put down some covering...hadn't decided just what yet

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 13, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »
Then I used the engine hoist to yank off the tire carrier

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: August 13, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
First thing I added two struts to the top and lower stiffener

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Then I started beveling all those hard corners

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 13, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
I filled in the cut-out areas with square tubing to stiffen it up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
Everything is getting beveled and smoothed, and that is taking some time

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »
Filled in the spare tire carrier mounts as well

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 13, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
That got me to the sand blast stage with this tire carrier, so on to the bumper. It needs a lot of grinding

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »
The technique I used was to cut the welds down with the grinder disc on the 7" grinder, then chase that with a #36 flap wheel, then chase that with a #60 or a #80 flap wheel

Here's the results:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 13, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
That was a whole afternoon of about 6 hours which finished up build-day 289
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:04:00 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 13, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
Ah yes, the tedious tormenting bring and smooth stage.
Looks like you made great headway though.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 14, 2015, 03:10:56 AM »
Not sure what you're saying, but I'm just commenting on the drill bits in case someone wanted information on them.

Sounds like he meant it as in the home improvement shows when the host goes " well time to head to (insert home improvement store of your choice) to grab some tools/equipment (your choice) and get a chance to test out my new (insert truck here) that has the (insert powerplant here) that I just got so lets give her a test run and see how she does." And then spends a large chunk of the show talking about something not related to the project at hand, but instead waxes poetically over the non important items instead of what people originally tuned to the show to watch/learn about.

At least that's how I read his post as.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #1615 on: August 14, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
Don all that grinding and finishing work is tedious. But it sure makes for a nice finished product. It's also NOT motivating me to build my Wife a front bumper for Anvil LOL But today..... I think I may go find some metal and start the process. It's been a toss up between spending this weekend working on her truck, or taking her truck and going exploring in the Sand hills.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 14, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »
Yea, be nice to get paid for some of this, but this site is not about $$$, just building networks, men, and honoring God.

I WANT to hear how those drill bits perform.  I saw those at the NSRA show also and will make my decision to buy some based upon how well they perform for you.  If I can get away from buying 10-20 bits of the same size it would be nice... 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »

I WANT to hear how those drill bits perform.  I saw those at the NSRA show also and will make my decision to buy some based upon how well they perform for you.  If I can get away from buying 10-20 bits of the same size it would be nice... 
What I discovered is that you have to spin them faster than normal. When I stuck maybe 5 different sizes in my 20VDC drill it took forever to punch through the steel, like 10 gage, I was drilling. Then I got out my 110VAC electric drill and whamo, they went right through.

The 1/2 shank bit was undercut to 3/8" and I could not get it to keep from spinning in either drill. The head produces more torque than the chuck could handle. I might have ruined the 1/2 incher because of that...but a new one is free!

I wouldn't pass judgment on these bits yet since I have not chucked them up in the big drill press yet. Hand drilling is imprecise, wobbling all over and pushing with questionable pressure as opposed to a drill press. So I would not weigh in on them just yet.

OldKooT

« Reply #1618 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
Ok I am going to ask.... do you guys sharpen your bits? I have had the same set of HSS bits for well over 20 years. I have broken a couple of the smaller ones but largely the set is still as purchased.

I sharpen mine on a bench grinder by hand, always have. Which twist bits to use is defendant on the metal your drilling. If the bits harder than the metal, it will drill it assuming it's properly sharpened.

I do have a couple solid carbide bits for drilling tool steel or leaf springs.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 14, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »
Ok I am going to ask.... do you guys sharpen your bits?

No.  Its a skill I never learned.

I have considered buying one of those "Drill Dr." machines that is supposed to put the proper angle on the tip, it looks to be fool-proof.  Then, I could put the 10 year old on the job and he could spend a couple of days sharpening that drawer-full of dull bits I have...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: August 14, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
Yea, Norm, I did buy a Dr. Drill thing-ah-ma-bob and I never could get a good sharpen on any bits, so I canned it, or the red dog chewed it apart...well something happened to it.

But having said that, I am thinking of getting another one.

OldKooT

« Reply #1621 on: August 14, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »
All u really need is a small ruler, a protractor, a bench grinder, and some patience. I could possibly type it all out to explain, but I am sure you could find some videos on U tube that would be a bit easier to follow. A little practice and you'll pick it up quickly.

I have never used a Drill Dr but I have heard they are hit and miss. Sears used to sell a Jig that once set up, makes it pretty simple as well.

I do my own sharpening, although I have considered teaching my wife to do it. She likes detail stuff like that. Chain saw chains, chisels, drill bits, circular saw blades, all easily sharpened at home with a little practice.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 14, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
All u really need is a small ruler, a protractor, a bench grinder, and some patience. I could possibly type it all out to explain, but I am sure you could find some videos on U tube that would be a bit easier to follow. A little practice and you'll pick it up quickly.

I have never used a Drill Dr but I have heard they are hit and miss. Sears used to sell a Jig that once set up, makes it pretty simple as well.

I do my own sharpening, although I have considered teaching my wife to do it. She likes detail stuff like that. Chain saw chains, chisels, drill bits, circular saw blades, all easily sharpened at home with a little practice.

I just buy new bits

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 14, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Ok I am going to ask.... do you guys sharpen your bits?

No.  Its a skill I never learned.

I have considered buying one of those "Drill Dr." machines that is supposed to put the proper angle on the tip, it looks to be fool-proof.  Then, I could put the 10 year old on the job and he could spend a couple of days sharpening that drawer-full of dull bits I have...

that sounds like a good plan duane.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
There is an art to sharpening, and as suggested a YouTube video will make more sense than a written explanation.
I've become very proficient at this over the years, and given my lack of a hardware store, have to keep on top of it.(Yeah, no hardware for 200+ miles)

The jigs that you can buy, once set up do a decent job. Different hardnesses of material being drilled work better with bit profiles however.
I won't stray into that, as the standard angles 'work', just not as well in some materials.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #1625 on: August 14, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
Yes profiles do make a huge difference. I keep a set at 118 degrees for general work. I do play with the reliefs and splitting and such at times when doing something special. But generally it's a common size I have a specialty bit for anyway if I am drilling say stainless or Armor plate as an example.

People sometimes make a bigger deal of drill bits than is required I feel. Old bits more than 20 years old are far better steel than anything you can buy new. I drilled 24 leaf springs leafs with a standard 1950's drill bit, a lil lube, and a slooooow feed speed on one sharpening. Not sure I could have done that on a newer bit unless it was a specialty bit.

OK back to Square D progress.... Sorry Don

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 14, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
That's quite all right Norm,

So I pulled the bumper completely off and was happily welding the skirt onto the bottom when I ran out of wire. Looking at the welder, I was almost out of gas as well, so I made the sojourn to the local welding shop and restocked along with 5 new #40 grit flap wheels to chew on the welds some more.

I have maybe a day of fabbing the skirt and finish welding in whole thing and she'll be ready for high velocity sand.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 14, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
Don I gotta say when I was watching you piecing that bumper together I had my share of "gee...not sure I like how that looks" or ""boy that's a lot of little pieces and angles" moments...but seeing it all together and after some of the grinding that you've done I think that looks friggin' awesome (A Boston term for "nice job! ha!).  ;) Really well done!   

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 14, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »
I ran out of wire. Looking at the welder, I was almost out of gas as well, so I made the sojourn to the local welding shop and restocked

Random question, but how much does it cost to refill the tanks?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »
I ran out of wire. Looking at the welder, I was almost out of gas as well, so I made the sojourn to the local welding shop and restocked

Random question, but how much does it cost to refill the tanks?
Depends on size obviously, but somewhere in the $30's is a safe bet

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
Don I gotta say when I was watching you piecing that bumper together I had my share of "gee...not sure I like how that looks" or ""boy that's a lot of little pieces and angles" moments...but seeing it all together and after some of the grinding that you've done I think that looks friggin' awesome (A Boston term for "nice job! ha!).  ;) Really well done!   

Thank you

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 16, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
Don, can't wait to see the bumper all coated up, looks good.

I was buying those sanding wheels at the LHS too, but it got pricey. I found for $20 you can get 10 on ebay and I always have enough that way. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-4-1-2-x-7-8-PREMIUM-ZIRCONIA-GRINDING-WHEEL-FLAP-DISC-40-GRIT-NEW-/230813894417?hash=item35bd948711

My old bits work better than all this new stuff. heck just finding good bits is hard now. But I do sharpen my own, have for years.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 16, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
I've become a big fan of Tractor Supply Company.  I found bargain packs of cutoff wheels and flap wheels pretty cheap.  They also carry Oxy, Acetylene, and shielding gases in some locations and they are open on sat and sun which means I can get gasses when I need them and not when the welding place is open.  They have a lot of neat stuff.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 16, 2015, 10:44:07 PM »
The comment about steels being better if older is solid. Seems the chemistry (Metallurgy??) has changed, and for the worse.

When down at the show in Louisville, I took the time to go over a new Bronco body kit. Made from new metal from the old stampings. Made in Taiwan. My impression: Piece of junk! Thin, tinny, weak as all get out, and I just couldn't see the asking price $8,700 and change.
Talking to the sales guy there, he said, well the chemistry of the steels is all different now. Seems to me, what he really meant to say is, "well, all our stuff is made in China now."

OldKooT

« Reply #1634 on: August 17, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Yeah Don no question, new metal is iffy in comparison to older stuff. Piece of trivia for you... Dodge's doors on their pickups are 17lbs heavier prior to 1988. The difference is noticeable in many ways....the older doors don't crack in numerous places like the newer doors (1988-93) do as an example. Same is true of the front fenders...older is better.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: August 17, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
When I replaced the doors in my 73 chebby, I went with some power ones from 87. You know what the largest weight difference was? the glass. My original ones were almost 1/4", new ones like half of that....but my old ones wouldn't work properly in the newer doors...too much drag on the motors.

I Should've stuck with the old cranks....and now wish that I would've saved all those old pieces to change it back.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »
Plus all the newer doors have the side impact beam.

How does a door get lighter with what should be more metal??

My burb has cranks :D
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
Yeah Don no question, new metal is iffy in comparison to older stuff. Piece of trivia for you... Dodge's doors on their pickups are 17lbs heavier prior to 1988. The difference is noticeable in many ways....the older doors don't crack in numerous places like the newer doors (1988-93) do as an example. Same is true of the front fenders...older is better.

Does that apply to us as well?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 18, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
Well, got a lot of work done on the bumper yesterday, but it doesn't show. Welding is time consuming, but afterward you still have the same piece, just warped a bit more!

To start with I pulled the thing off using an engine crane and a dog leash

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »
I started by adding that skirt...I like my lady in a skirt, so I thought I'd add one to this bumper

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »
Crappy pics...oh well

Picked up some more flap wheels and some more wire then continued mission (CM)

Here the left underside gets "Boxed" or "C-ed" in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 18, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »
Cameras don't do that justice. It is angled outward so if I hit something like a dirt berm it will shove the rear of the truck up and away

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:48 AM »
Don't worry about that lower ugly weld, I'll fill er' in

Next, I built in both corners

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 18, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »
Then it was off to the races, welding up the inside. That took hours

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Went through a few of these

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
Just to show you what this wheel, a #40 grit can do, here is a before and after about 30 seconds of grinding on about an inch of weld:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
That was all I had time for and concluded build day #290

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
good looking weldin and grindin.

I agree with that sign, but I believe her wife (bill) should be joining her!

was that the wife's new vehicle in the back ground......and how is she doing after the accident?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »

was that the wife's new vehicle in the back ground......and how is she doing after the accident?

I thought it was a kia. Maybe placed there to test out the bumper. IF the truck will ever move under it's own power.

Oh, nice looking work Don.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 18, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
Nice work. 
"I like grinding"....says no one.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal