Hello Guest

Author Topic: LZ Bravo Echo Echo is ready. Early arrivals  (Read 4647 times)

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
LZ Bravo Echo Echo is ready. Early arrivals
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
I'm scheduled to be getting the nuc (bee nucleus) i purchased months ago this coming weekend. There's been a lot of activity on the property to get ready for the bees on top of classes and seminars to help me in this venture i am so excited about.

I cleared a small section of the property that provides afternoon shade, water and is not frequented by people. On top of that rise will be where i keep my hive boxes (2-3 tops).

After clearing bravo echo echo i saw a mass our of the corner of my eye that wasnt there yesterday. I thought it was some slime or pest i needed to shoot or set on fire or something. NOPE!

it was a swarm! swarms happen this time of the year as bees colonies either get too big or they force the queen out. Looks like i have me some bees!

I put on a sweatshirt and goggles just incase. I picked up the swarm with my hands and got it into a box. I need to get a perm home for them today (wasnt prepared for this) and pray they stick around.

Ferrell colonies tend to be great honey producers, but can be a bit more aggressive. No worries, that can be addressed with re-queening in the fall.

Here are a few pics. more on the way over the next week as i get things more situated.

Bravo Echo Echo

handling the swarm

the swarm before handling

yours truly.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: LZ Bravo Echo Echo is ready. Early arrivals
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
Nice! Hope they stick around.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
What a great coincidence!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »
Better you than me.....here's how I approach bees.

I'm allergic. But I get wanting them. The honey will be good for allergies too.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
You've got some big stones, Stewie.... walking up and handling the swarm like that. Props man...
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »
You've got some big stones, Stewie.... walking up and handling the swarm like that. Props man...
I'm with you Ryan.
I'd appreciate the fresh honey.

However, comma, Wilbur and me have the same approach angle...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Cool.

Stewie, I was cutting a new trail through the woods and found a huge colony in a hollow tree. I guess they weren't Africanized since I didn't get lit up as I motored by throwing up dust and debris.

How might one go about utilizing those bees for honey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
i put the swarm into a landstroth deep today. they WERE PISSED OFF. i was stung once. only protection was gloves and glasses. they seem to have taken to the box as of this evening with a constant flow to/from the sugar water. We have a lot of wildflowers around still so i expect them to venture out tomorrow. i had to macgyver the top and bottom for a few days until i can get to a supplier for the proper gear. the entrance was a little marvel, and it worked!!!!

i was able to get uber close but there were times they chased me a good 40 feet from the box.

i got the queen - which was the key.

this swarm was a gift from God. i am so excited. I pray they do well.

right after i put them in:

after they calmed down:

hittin the bottle hard:

fortune favors the brave.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:23:55 PM by stewie »
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Cool.

Stewie, I was cutting a new trail through the woods and found a huge colony in a hollow tree. I guess they weren't Africanized since I didn't get lit up as I motored by throwing up dust and debris.

How might one go about utilizing those bees for honey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um, thats a tough one. you may wanna get a service to help move the hive. When i get more experience i can certainly come out there and help you!
i do have a friend who can help. he's out of Milam county. message me if you want his info.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:58 PM »
I think what you're doing is really cool. And cool about the jar of sweetener keeping them close and content.

I read a story once somewhere (completely forget where now) about a guy who stole someone's honey and hid it in the loft of his barn. Someone snuck in and opened a window in the loft and cracked the honey barrels. Bees stole it all in a day or two. The guy who had done the stealing thought he had pulled one over on the bee owner....but the bees got him back. They are cool animals.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 12:11:10 AM »
Good job, a free swarm is good and you had the proper stuff to take advantage....

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
I love beekeeping, they are amazing creatures.  if I get back into having hives again I am going to try these units.

https://www.honeyflow.com/

One thing nobody says/knows about the Africanizes Bees is that they out produce the European Bees 2 to 1, they also swamp three to four times a year.  why they will always dominate in a hive is the African Queen gestation is one day shorter then the European Queens.  So she gets out first and kills all the other queens before they can hatch.  too bad they try to kill you, the whole reason they were brought to South America was they were such fantastic producers, they were trying to breed the aggressiveness out of them.

Amazing creatures       

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

so it looks like the swarm is sticking around. I was out there late yesterday afternoon/evening and there was plenty of activity.
I love beekeeping, they are amazing creatures.  if I get back into having hives again I am going to try these units.

https://www.honeyflow.com/

One thing nobody says/knows about the Africanizes Bees is that they out produce the European Bees 2 to 1, they also swamp three to four times a year.  why they will always dominate in a hive is the African Queen gestation is one day shorter then the European Queens.  So she gets out first and kills all the other queens before they can hatch.  too bad they try to kill you, the whole reason they were brought to South America was they were such fantastic producers, they were trying to breed the aggressiveness out of them.

Amazing creatures     

yeah. aggressive but good producers. i am scared they may overtake the 2nd hive i am getting which will be docile, but that's why i will be requeening once a year or so.

Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
2nd hive is here. they're busy... the swarm hive has made themselves at home. they're drawing comb now which is a good thing. I hope they thrive.

The LZ. Forward hive is the full one. Rear s the swarm hive. It has a larger feeder on top, while the forward hive has a smaller internal one since they're more established.

BURR comb from the swarm hive i had to remove.

inside swarm hive before i pulled the comb

Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
forgive my ignorance, but what is a burr comb and why would you need to remove it?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
forgive my ignorance, but what is a burr comb and why would you need to remove it?

they wont leave a free space unfilled. I took a frame out to put the swarm in, but at the time i lacked the gear to safely work with the box so i left it out. in that 3 day time span they decided to start filling that open space with comb which if given enough time would fill out that whole gap and keep me from being able to inspect the hive.

Space management is key with these boxes. If i see them using 7/10 frame, i need to give them a new box on top to build into.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
Makes sense, thank you for clarifying
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
and how are the 2 hives getting along?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
and how are the 2 hives getting along?

fine. they do their own thing. It's not uncommon to have apiaries where hives are 4-6 feet from each other.

no MMA or gang fights breaking out.

If i see broken bottles and brass knuckles then i have problems.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
I've seen flatbeds stacked 10 high with hives the entire length and wrapped with a fine mesh cover going down the highway.  Must be "rental" hives for crops or orchards - would wonder how they all get along rolling down the road?!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »
I've seen flatbeds stacked 10 high with hives the entire length and wrapped with a fine mesh cover going down the highway.  Must be "rental" hives for crops or orchards - would wonder how they all get along rolling down the road?!

they're screened into the boxes so they cant get out.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »

they're screened into the boxes so they cant get out.

Well, on the loads that I saw, some were definitely "out" yet still inside the screen.  Looked like a Black Lives Matter ralley swarming on a few squad cars, but contained in the "demonstration" area none the less......bet it made rest area stops interesting  :shocked:

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
i woke up real early this morning thinking about the swarm hive. i had to check on them.

They left.  :cry:
Probably saturday or sunday,
Im real disappointed. I think i disturbed them too much over the weekend.

Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »
That sucks.
How's the other one doing?
Nothing beats fresh honey.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
That sucks.
How's the other one doing?
Nothing beats fresh honey.

other one is well. i need to add a 2nd box for them soon.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
i woke up real early this morning thinking about the swarm hive. i had to check on them.

That does stink there Stewie.....probably the swarm didn't like the proximity to the tame hive.....wild preservation montra "keep identity" don't become "secular progressive"  :grin:

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

That does stink there Stewie.....probably the swarm didn't like the proximity to the tame hive.....wild preservation montra "keep identity" don't become "secular progressive"  :grin:

they could have been offended.

i have way too many snowflake animals on this farm. i dont need snowflake bees, too.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »

That's most likely the case, I always leave them alone for at least one month so they feel there ar not threats

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »

That's most likely the case, I always leave them alone for at least one month so they feel there ar not threats

noted. i HAD to get a proper top and bottom on the box. what i did was only temporary for a few days.

Now, i am sure i will have another opportunity.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
And what also helps is sugar water feeder, if they have a food source they usually stay!

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
And what also helps is sugar water feeder, if they have a food source they usually stay!

i had a top feeder.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
Just off hand, are you sure that the other hive didnt end up somewhere else on your property hangin out just like you found them?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:48:07 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »
So LZ BEE has been busy for sure these past weeks. The winter was harsh here for central tx standards so the hive is about 1/2 the strength right now. I did a brief inspection the other day and they're working, but #'s are still down. I am purposefully not mowing alot of the property because we have wild flowers everywhere.

Just off hand, are you sure that the other hive didnt end up somewhere else on your property hangin out just like you found them?

maybe, but they can travel up to 5 miles, so i doubt it.

Equal Opportunity Hater

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal