Hello Guest

Author Topic: First time @ large(r) scale gardening.  (Read 9818 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: First time @ large(r) scale gardening.
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
Depending on how bad the barn is it might be cheaper to throw a match to it and build a pole shed. My barn is falling down but its so handy. I'd like to tear it down and put up a new shed.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »
Depending on how bad the barn is it might be cheaper to throw a match to it and build a pole shed. My barn is falling down but its so handy. I'd like to tear it down and put up a new shed.

there is much salvageable material in it, especially electric. i would LOVE to set it ablaze, but id kick myself in the butt afterwards.

we're going to get a portable garage (14x32') as a replacement and customize it a bit.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »
Stewie, great to see you back.  I got a 1/2 acre piece of land out front of our property that I plan to plant a big garden, fruit trees and berry bushes at some point....but I'm buried over in a building project that is going on 5 months now.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:08 PM »
Stewie, great to see you back.  I got a 1/2 acre piece of land out front of our property that I plan to plant a big garden, fruit trees and berry bushes at some point....but I'm buried over in a building project that is going on 5 months now.....

ha, i have the same. i need to set it all ablaze soon and get wildflowers down for my bees (that's another exciting story i need to tell).

2017 taught me me that i am one man, and a limited resource. i have to plans and prioritize.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 09:00:27 PM »

ha, i have the same. i need to set it all ablaze soon and get wildflowers down for my bees (that's another exciting story i need to tell).

2017 taught me me that i am one man, and a limited resource. i have to plans and prioritize.
My first garden was big and more than I could handle. So much so that I gave up on it for years. I just got tired of it. It was too much work. When I got back into it I started small. Now I know what I can handle and add a little bit every year.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

My first garden was big and more than I could handle. So much so that I gave up on it for years. I just got tired of it. It was too much work. When I got back into it I started small. Now I know what I can handle and add a little bit every year.

I think when it comes to "right-sizing" gardens the (not) redneck from texas has the concept perfected. Raised planting beds, overhead watering, composted soils, inside a critter proof cage. Do the mulching thing (Careful to keep your truck far away, mind you) and the weed growth should be minimal. His garden has been a model I wish to copy IF I EVER GET ANYTHING DONE DOWN THERE!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »
Thanks Don.  I will say that I've learned a few lessons along the way.

1.  too much compost is not a good thing.  I now have an over abundance of phosphorous.
2. A soil test from a local ag extension is a must to prevent item #1
3. You really need support from your family to weed and harvest or it gets overwhelming
4. If I had to do over I would like the sides of the enclosure lift up or swing open to make harvesting and maintaining easier.  It gets crowded in there
5. If you are going to go organic, as I have, make sure you have a good resource on pest prevention.  By the time I figured out what was eating my stuff, I lost a bunch of it.
6. In my climate, I need to start seeds indoors well in advance to keep the costs down.  Project number 827 will be a greenhouse to start seeds in during the winter.  LED grow lights are really cheap and affordable nowadays compared to the big power hungry metal halide and high pressure sodium of the past.
7.  One side benefit of having the top covered in wire is that you have built in trellising.  I tie twine to the wire and then to the cages and train the plants up on it.

I still have lots to learn, mainly how to not get over crowded, what works in my location, etc.

On a side note, I ordered some of these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LE4RGOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to keep on hand.  I'm a big fan of non GMO heirloom

As for the larger garden, that will be another learning process but I have commitment from the family to help and still plan on automatic watering.  As I contemplate retirement, I hope to have enough experience by then to have a high performing garden and orchard by the time I retire.  I figure I have about 10 years to figure it out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:39:31 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
I think you really need to look at that from the children's eyes. I really hated gardens while growing up

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Interesting point Bob and thanks for the perspective. I look back on tending the garden with my parents and grandparent with fondness.  At the time, not so much.

My kids are on board. I’m not forcing them but they get the importance of pitching in for something that benefits the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
I can understand the family benefits side but when forced to weed water and harvest when the lake was calling was hard to swallow. I do not look back at fond memories of the garden or berry patches.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »
I would never get anything done with a backyard like that. Maybe when I retire, er wait,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 03:51:23 AM »
Tex,
Try "Five acres and independence ".  It's an old (1940's) book but the information is solid and gives good info for gardens and distances between fruit trees

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
Bob, that's idyllic.  wow.

Wood, I have that book.  Just need to find it now.....

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
i have a "black thumb" and kill anything i touch. Luckily my mother in law is living on the property now and she can grow anything.

Give that woman chicken wire and a cd player and you got the garden of eden in a few months.

I do plan to build a green house as that level of sustainability is on our radar.

But... barn first.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »
i have a "black thumb" and kill anything i touch. Luckily my mother in law is living on the property now and she can grow anything.

Give that woman chicken wire and a cd player and you got the garden of eden in a few months.

I do plan to build a green house as that level of sustainability is on our radar.

But... barn first.
Stew,
Watch for the upcoming geo-dome greenhouse/fish farm thing I plan to build some day, err, week, err month, err year, errr, someday.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »

But... barn first.
Stew,
Watch for the upcoming geo-dome greenhouse/fish farm thing I plan to build some day, err, week, err month, err year, errr, someday.

Don, as I read your post, all I can think of is the Pauly Shore/Stephen Baldwin movie "Bio-dome".... :facepalm:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »

But... barn first.
Stew,

Don, as I read your post, all I can think of is the Pauly Shore/Stephen Baldwin movie "Bio-dome".... :facepalm:
Didn't that place go up for sale a few years back?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
First time @ large(r) scale gardening.
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »

But... barn first.
Stew,

Didn't that place go up for sale a few years back?

I think UofA in Tucson owns it. It’s north of Tucson about 45 minutes.

Here’s the link, I’m pretty sure this is what the shore/Baldwin movie was based off of....

http://biosphere2.org

Interesting place.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:58:16 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »
I remember flying over it a few times

Was doing paradrops for the Seals

Came down out of altitude with an hour to spare and went lookin' for mischief...

So we came across that glass thing and one of the crew chiefs says, "Hey, Big-D, if you come right across the top of that thing at about 150 knots, I'll bet you can crack a bunch of those windows"

So we did!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal