Hello Guest

Author Topic: Redneck Dually Build Thread  (Read 61041 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Redneck Dually Build Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:01 AM »
OK, so towing the 5'er a lot with the family I take a little Stanley tool box with tools and put it in the back of the truck for various tools in case I break down.  Its a pain to lift in and out, especially worrying if it will be there after a stop for lunch or while we are away at the RV park.  Decided to get this DeeZee box to leave in.  No need to unpack or worry if I put all the tools back in it.  So it seemed pretty straight forward.  Mount a base to the bed of the truck and then slide and latch the box on to it.  When you remove the bottom drawer it allows access to 2 pins that when pulled to the middle unlatches the front of the box so it can be removed if you need that space.

This looks like the spot

you can see that the bed is not flat and to best position it on the ridges I mounted it about 1 1/2 inches further away from the side of the bed than it could have gone had I been willing to use some spacers between the bottom and the bed.

Mount one, get it squared up and then drill and bolt the others.

pretty good access from the bottom.  The bolts that came with it were 3 inches long (WTF?) its just the bed.  So I substituted some 1 inch bolts and nylock nuts and washers.

Slide it on and make sure the latches line up and catch

It holds quite a bit and the drawer slides are fairly high quality.  I have a full set of 1/4, 3/8,and 1/2 drive SAE and Metric sockets, various pliers, screw drivers, full set of combo wrenches and there is still room to spare.

So now there is one more key I have to keep up with
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2015, 12:10:41 AM »
I never monitored the stock engine, pre delete with the egt pyro while towing.  In flat ground under hard acceleration pre delete it would hit above 1000.

Towing on the econo tune at 67-70 dragging a full profile 5er:

Running flat to slightly up hill 950-1050
2-3% grade it hits 1150-1250
Steeper grades consistently in the mid 1300s and even tickled 1400 briefly.

Zero smoke at any point.

So, is this normal? Anything to worry about? Could my probe be "off"?

And is the econo tune a mirror of the factory tune minus emissions or is it up fueling too?

Some PPEI expert, can y'all enlighten me here?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2015, 12:11:44 AM »
Oddly enough bumping to the #2 tune gives me about 100 degrees cooler egts with more hp.  As long as I didn't let the slush box stay in 6 too long I was staying around 1250. I did hit 1450 on one stretch of 6% when I didn't down shift.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »
Installed the remote antenna for my TST trailer tire pressure monitoring system. Had to snake it under the headliner as the cable was brawl long enough to make it around the sunroof and to the middle of the back windshield.

I just took down one side to get underneath it. I have the sun roof so that comes out by collapsing the rear part towards the front enough to pull the lip past the edge of the headliner.  Then work the sides out and lastly the front which will require using a pry tool. Open the sunroof and poke your head out and you can see the tabs on top

The. You have to take both visors off and the overhead console, the trim pieces in the A , B pillar and the C pillar. The hardest part was the push retainers in the rear near the windshield. 

Then you would work the door jam seals from over the headliner and don't forget the rear seat light fixture. Most are T-15 torx IIRC. The  grab handles also have to come off.

Dynamat would be awesome. I've thought about it but have not been that motivated. If I did it I'd want to do the doors, floor, roof and rear wall. I could live without the firewall.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:13:26 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2015, 12:38:57 AM »
A few pics in NM.  Not long before I met up with Nate in Alamagordo

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »
That is alot of info!!

I like the side box, you have to store stuff you know!

Funny on the breaking the bead and the truck rolling. Like to say things like that never happen to me.

I have a DSP5 with Idaho Rob tuning. stock/light tow/heavy tow/100hp/150hp, I run the 100 all the time with a Jr kit in the tranny that should make it like yours. I get smoke when I stand on it, but just a few seconds and not real heavy smoke.

Mileage and EGTs are about the same, but I have a 4 inch with no muffler and down pipe still on the shelf.

I run my pvc into a T and down to the frame. I see a little trail of oil there, but never dripped. I have the EGR blocked too.

I also have a mild lift with 285/75-17s
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »
And a meet up with the man

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »
OK folks here is the verdict.  Finished the trip at 2475 miles and 219 gallons of #2 for 11.3 MPG, about 2.5MPG better than my last trip before deletes.  AND I towed on the 60hp tune.  The power was awesome.  I was able to pull to the left and hammer down and pass with ease.

I have an itch to be able to tow with more power.....

I'm in discussion with both Jason and Mark (WCfab and Danville) about the next thing for the tow rig.  I want to tow with a 120 tune (or MOAR!) and keep EGTs in check.  Its already been established that I'm old and don't want to drag race, but when I'm headed up a 6% grade towing heavy and there is a Fjord or Cummapart in the right lane towing a 5er or big trailer, I want to pull out and blow past them like they are standing still!

One answer is compound with an S475.  I hope the other is a bigger single.  We'll see. 

So from the diff temp front.  Up big hills at 67mph I hit 205-210 degrees. That is with stock cover and Amsoil HD Synthetic. Just ordered this:

Will take more measurements after the installation and towing the 5er.

I also still have the remote oil PCV separator to install and hope to get to that soon.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2015, 12:47:42 AM »
That is alot of info!!

I like the side box, you have to store stuff you know!

Funny on the breaking the bead and the truck rolling. Like to say things like that never happen to me.

I have a DSP5 with Idaho Rob tuning. stock/light tow/heavy tow/100hp/150hp, I run the 100 all the time with a Jr kit in the tranny that should make it like yours. I get smoke when I stand on it, but just a few seconds and not real heavy smoke.

Mileage and EGTs are about the same, but I have a 4 inch with no muffler and down pipe still on the shelf.

I run my pvc into a T and down to the frame. I see a little trail of oil there, but never dripped. I have the EGR blocked too.

I also have a mild lift with 285/75-17s

The only time I get a little smoke is when I'm rolling into the throttle gently at highway speed and it gets a bit of fuel. Its just for a second or two tops..  I just leave it on 60 now.  I'd like to put twins on it, but I have a few other projects in the way...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2015, 01:02:53 AM »
Also, spoke with Jason and Mark about turbo upgrades.

two different takes on the situation:

Jason, believes twinning is the bees knees

Mark believes that for reliability and lower hassle, the Stage 2 GT3794VVT with BatMoWheel is the way to go.

My only concern with the twins is maintenance and hassle for so many more connections and parts.  I want to install and drive reliably not wrench on it every weekend.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »
My only concern with the twins is maintenance and hassle for so many more connections and parts.  I want to install and drive reliably not wrench on it every weekend.

I like the idea of a single too. Did meth/02 injection come up at all? Much cheaper then twins and works as you need and really helps under loads.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2015, 08:23:24 AM »
I've not looked into Meth/H2O. So I don't know much about it.  How it works (chemistry) pros and cons.  I need to do some research.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
OK folks. here is the latest.  After towing the 5'er to New Mexico, up some 6 and 8 percent grades, I measured some differential temperatures as high as 211 degrees pulling the grade at 67 with 15000 pounds in tow and ambient temperatures in the high 80s.

I had recently changed the fluid to Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 and during the trip was running the modifed factory diff cover with temp probe.

I decided to find out if these aluminum covers with fins actually make any difference at all.  Let's be clear, there is no reason to have an aftermarket diff cover other than asthetics.  211 is nothing for synthetic gear lube.  But for humanity's sake, I thought, "why not"

So rather than interfering with my spare and spending $300 on a fancy aftermarket cover, I decided to use the AAM cover that comes on the Dodge with the towing package. (about the only thing off a Dodge, I'd want on my truck)

Note it does not have a temp probe bung but the real estate is there so you just have to drill and tap.

Since I just changed my diff fluid with Amsoil less than 3000 miles ago, I decided to capture the fluid and use it to change the fluid in my LB7.  I started by cleaning the area around the drain

And used an empty 2.5gallon Amsoil container to cut down to capture the old fluid for use in the LB7

Remove the fill and drain plugs

Then the stainless socket cap screws that I used for the modded factory cover

You can see the temp probe in the factory cover here

Didn't I just do this.....
So clean the gasket surface with a razor scraper and brush and then chase the threads with a thread cleaner, and I cheated and used an air ratchet to run it in and out and then blow out the threads with air.

Time to prep the new cover.  I wanted the probe to be as far down in to the oil as possible, so I measured the inside with calipers and tranferred that to the outside and marked the location. Used a center punch to mark the spot and drilled with 5/16 bit. Use some lubricant when drilling and when tapping, working the tap about 3/4 turn and then back and forth before another 3/4 turn.

Helps to have a thread cleaner set and taps and dies

Finished product

Install the probe using some Rector Seal

From the bottom

This kit comes with hardware (external torx bolts) and a really, really nice rubber sandwiched steel gasket.

Able to keep all the factory brackets, but you can see here that one fin interferes with the brake line bracket.

Nothing a dremel won't fix to notch that one

Use a torque wrench to tighten to 40NM or 30ft/lb
Fins make a great place to tuck the wire loom for the probe

no need for a fancy pump that won't get all the new fluid out of the bottle And note the clearance maintained between the cover and the spare

finshed product

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
That's purdy.

...kinda Dodgeish tho. :poketex
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
Rectal seal??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
That's purdy.

...kinda Dodgeish tho. :poketex
Other than the cummins engine, that cover may be the best part of a dodge....

Rectal seal??

It'd probably work for that too!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
Ok, I was investigating if my truck would fit in my new parking garage in the office we are moving to this weekend.  It does fit...barely.  But the ramps are narrow and I messed up and ruined a rear wheel simulator.

Thought to myself, "self, as much as people seem to not like these things, they should be really cheap and easy to find..."  well not so fast.  I found one on Amazon, and OEM GM part, and it was $178.....ouch.  expensive mistake and almost a reason to buy some American Force 24s....well almost.

Amazon drones dropped this off.  3 days after I ordered it.

here is the damage

voila! Good as new

And, that is just another installment of how the Lord teaches patience

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
We'll I think I'm figuring the 24s out.  285/40/24 on AF Liberty.  Even though they aren't E rated they'll rate out at the load I normally carry with the 5er and then some.

I'm just having a mental block on reducing the weight carrying capacity of the truck just to have some nicer wheels.....

I'm not lifting or leveling this one because it HAS to fit in the garage at work and right now I only have about 2 inches clearance

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »

two different takes on the situation:

1. believes twinning is the bees knees

2. reliability and lower hassle, the Stage 2 GT3794VVT with BatMoWheel is the way to go.

1.Twin the older beast

2.Big single the towing beast.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »
Concur with Bobee

Large single, and properly utilize the KISS principle
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »
Yep.  And with emissions inspection getting a bit more challenging in Tx, a single looks a lot more stock.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »
You know RN, this truck would be a candidate for the prettiest truck build, I mean that thing is beautiful. But you have competition from a fellow Texan, CE-TX has one awesome old school build going on.

Makes me want to own a pretty truck...mine are all, well, they are...err, heck I don't know what they are, but not as nice lookin as yours!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
The Stage 2 GT3794VVT is the newish offering from Danville right? I've read lots of great stuff about that charger.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2015, 07:37:27 AM »
That is correct Kyle, I've heard really nice stuff too.  easy 650hp and drop in replacement.  Low egts, not as low as twins, but not bad.  I'd love for my truck to be reliable and built enough to run 500hp when towing heavy.  Love pulling out to the left on a grade with my 5th wheel and passing the dodge boys towing a bumper pull....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2015, 07:45:50 AM »
OK, so a minor update to the build.  Not exactly as sexy as new shoes or underhood goodies, but here you go none the less.

DT Motoring off fleabay.  Very reasonable.  Came nicely packed, shipped quick and have a complete harness.  Pretty straightforward but I'll walk though it for the un-initiated.  The park and turn lights are LED, the BU lights are standard fixtures, so even though they came with new 4137 bulbs, I installed my Retro Solutions hi powered LED BU Bulbs out of my other lights.  Love that the configuration is different.  BU bulb on the bottom and one solid light for the park/turn/brake up top.  Subtle difference that is just enough of a difference to be cool and look factory.

Here is the shot of where the connector block is just to the driver's side rear of the spare tire under the back.  There is a separate connector for the drivers (bottom) and the passenger side (top)

Torx T-20 on the two exposed screws just inside the tailgate area and then you pull straight towards the rear of the vehicle to release the pins from the grommets on the outer edge of the light fixture.  The stock ones can really be tight.  As long as you pull straight back do not worry, they will come loose.  When installing the new light fixture, make sure to press forward to seat the pins

Here is a comparison of the new and old.  I've always wanted to take a picture using my finger to block the plate like all the other paranoid types.  Here's a hint.  My plates are in a lot of the photos.  If you want to come see me, either call first or be prepared for an unfriendly welcome.

The outer rows of lights are lit on the parking lights, which makes it look kind of like the new generation GMC SUVs with that "C" look.  The inners (next set of pics) light with the brakes.

I tell you what, the biggest pain of the whole install was just the cable routing for the wiring loom.  In the dark, on your back, with them just out of reach of your outstretched arms, these clips can frustrate you.  They seem to have had a sale on wire loom retainers at GM when they built this thing.  There are clips all over the place. Some that attached it to other looms and some that attached directly to the body. On the ones that connected directly to the body I depressed the tabs that held it in to the body and just removed them from the body to get at them easier.  Patience and it all comes apart OK and goes back together easy.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2015, 07:49:41 AM »
If I had one critique it would be that they don
t appear to be as visible from the side, but then I have the side markers on the dually.

Here is a shot with brakes applied from the side.  Much better visibility from the side with the brakes on. Not a big issue for me since I have the dually fender markers on the side anyway.

Final verdict, so far one of the cheapest mods and well worth it.  No gangster tint or goofy design, just better than factory looking lights that work.

I will say that I have noticed on cold mornings (yeah, yeah, for Texas it was cold) like 32 degrees, the lights flashed quicker the first time or two in the day until either the temp warmed up or the lights warmed up.  Then they just flash normal.  Not enough to bug me at all.

Highly recommend these lights.  The LED turn signal arrows in the tow mirrors match up nicely too.

Now, If I can find a similar led look for the third brake light and the 3 light bar under the tail gate......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2015, 07:51:03 AM »
Updated: The hyper flashing continued to get worse until it hyper flashed all the time. Rather than install resistors, I just took it to the dealer and they flashed the BCM to the cab and chassis program to remove the bulb failure sensing from the circuit.  All good now! but it cost me $50

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
That is correct Kyle, I've heard really nice stuff too.  easy 650hp and drop in replacement.  Low egts, not as low as twins, but not bad.  I'd love for my truck to be reliable and built enough to run 500hp when towing heavy.  Love pulling out to the left on a grade with my 5th wheel and passing the dodge boys towing a bumper pull....

Do you have a built trans already? Better budget for that also if you're going to be towing triple digits over stock.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
Kyle, yes.  That is part of the plan.  Calvin's built my LB7 and they will build the LML when the time comes.  I can't say enough good things about them.  Far beyond just replacing parts with aftermarket stuff.  They mill the case and install more clutches and a billet clamping plate among other things.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »
Hey I was thinking too... If you're going to be making an ultimate tow rig, any consideration given to throwing a bigger intercooler and piping on that beast to help keep temps in check with that bigger charger?
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 02:07:18 AM »
I did the Banks on mine, made no diff. I would just go H20/meth injection

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 06:30:32 AM »
Thansk for the thought.  I spent some time on the phone with Rick at ProFab discussing that very thing.  Intercoolers that is.  He was really cool and discussed his own truck and helped me understand that getting the heat out of the engine and getting the gasses to the turbine is a big part of the equation.  That's why he developed the manifolds and up pipes for the DMax.

I would probably lean towards doing manifolds, up pipes and turbo while I was at it. 

I'd like to lower my LB7 and make it more "usable" so I could DD it while I worked on the LML and not feel pressured to get the LML finished all in one weekend.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »
and not feel pressured to get the LML finished all in one weekend.

Be very careful here

Seems I started the oil change on Square D with just such a thought

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Another build=fluid change,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »
Tear it apart, tear it apart, tearteartear!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2015, 12:32:56 AM »
You , sir, are a bad influence.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »

I agree, but then again I have to live vicariously through the build threads other people have.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »

I agree, but then again I have to live vicariously through the build threads other people have.
Well, MOVE!

If you were down in the tucky near me, why today you'd be helping build an out house!

Think I'll DOT up Charles's thread some...

Wondering, what size is Bear? Ranger has some big feet. Vet says he is going to be a big one.

BTW, Ranger had surgery a couple days ago. Damm sled dog bit him in the eye! Tore the third eye all to heck and back. Had to have part of it surgically removed!

He's doing fine now
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:29:17 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
Thought sled dog was he mellow one?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »

Well, MOVE!

If you were down in the tucky near me, why today you'd be helping build an out house!

Think I'll DOT up Charles's thread some...

Wondering, what size is Bear? Ranger has some big feet. Vet says he is going to be a big one.

BTW, Ranger had surgery a couple days ago. Damm sled dog bit him in the eye! Tore the third eye all to heck and back. Had to have part of it surgically removed!

He's doing fine now

Moving requires a surplus of money.

Bear is 90lbs. Sounds like Ranger was pushing the puppy luck.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
90, good size, is he quick at that weight? I think the vet said Ranger was headed north of 100. Time will tell

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
90, good size, is he quick at that weight? I think the vet said Ranger was headed north of 100. Time will tell

Yea he's quick. He could run faster but he doesn't know it yet. The vets' were saying Bear would end up around 120ish, but you never really know. He could stand to gain a few pounds., just to fill in a bit more.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2015, 07:23:01 AM »
RN, sorry for chattin' up your thread, not like that has ever happened to me or my threads!

Bobby, post up a pic of Bear, I'd like to see what he looks like now before he fills out into an adult. He's a handsome dog.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
No worries Don. Like a badge of honor. I feel like the cool kids now.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »
RN, sorry for chattin' up your thread, not like that has ever happened to me or my threads!

Bobby, post up a pic of Bear, I'd like to see what he looks like now before he fills out into an adult. He's a handsome dog.

When I get back home I will.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »
Really nice truck. I have followed along in the other build thread also. I have the same truck, just not as fancy.
I bought the WT because I stay covered in grease, sawdust, hay, dirt, or some type of manure most of the time I am using it.
I do have the same plan for mine with higher hp towing. I just want to do everything at once. I am a oilfield mechanic and hate
tearing things down several times. I would rather just do it once. I may regret that when the time comes though, looks like a lot of work.

I know you are still undecided on the wheels, but what is the plan for the stock caps. If they will be for sale I would be interested?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
I've decided that I am going with the Monstir Mayhem but I will keep the OEMs just in case.  July 7th is the date for the auction for the adjacent land and after that I can focus on the wifes new SUV she wants and my new wheels.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »
For some reason I had been thinking about wheels the past week or so, I'm blaming it on you. I have not done anything to mine yet with looks as a concern so why start now. The money would better spent on increasing air volume in and out of the engine anyway.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
Mini update. Bought some Dee Zee anchor points. Pretty neat. They go in any of the six oval holes near the stake pockets. The bedcover in my truck was covering the plastic covers.

Needed a razor knife, flat blade screwdriver and 10mm wrench

Here you can see the back where the plate sits and how it rotated 90 degrees to lock in the slot when it's tightened. Note the self adhesive gasket installed.

It comes with a self adhesive gasket to keep water out. Here I use it to trace the cutout since the bed liner makes it a little more difficult to pop the plastic cover off. Cut with razor knife

Drive a screwdriver through the plastic and PPP it out

Nice hole

Get the threads started and insert

Tighten it up

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »
final

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal